The Dreaded Waitlist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

phillydave

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Okay, so yes, being waitlisted is better than being rejected, but I want answers! :eek:

How many of you who have been waitlisted ended up eventually being accepted? Rejected? And how much time passed between being put on the dreaded list and getting your final verdict from the jury... I mean school. Thanks guys!

(In my case, we're talking about a Clinical Psy.D. program that began interviewing in November and snail-mailed me their "decision" in early December.)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I was an alternate at the program that eventually admitted me. Doing the math, I was on the waitlist for 20 days.

It's a horrible, horrible time and you have my fullest sympathy. Of course, no matter how bad it gets, it's still better than an outright rejection.

I was an alternate at the program that eventually admitted me. Doing the math, I was on the waitlist for 20 days.

It's a horrible, horrible time and you have my fullest sympathy. Of course, no matter how bad it gets, it's still better than an outright rejection.
A couple of people have said that the time wasn't all too long also, 20 days seems pretty good! Thanks Cara, always good feedback :)

Members don't see this ad :)
It depends. As does every flipping thing in the process. I was waitlisted for just over a week at my program. But that's because (as far as I know) they were waiting on funding from the grad school. But came out the other end with an offer from my dream program and a fellowship so well worth the wait.

Here's a little hint: I was emailed by my POI (now my advisor) about 24 hours after getting the waitlist email so I was pretty certain something was in the works. ;)

To answer your other question, in my experience I was only OFFICIALLY waitlisted at one program (the one above which I currently attend). And I contacted the faculty at my other top program and they told me I was waitlisted and then in short order made me an offer. (I was able to leverage the offer I had already received.) I had a strange experience where I just did not hear (acceptance/rejection/waitlist) from most of my programs after interviews. Was never very clear what that meant.

Last edited:

Okay, so yes, being waitlisted is better than being rejected, but I want answers! :eek:

How many of you who have been waitlisted ended up eventually being accepted? Rejected? And how much time passed between being put on the dreaded list and getting your final verdict from the jury... I mean school. Thanks guys!

(In my case, we're talking about a Clinical Psy.D. program that began interviewing in November and snail-mailed me their "decision" in early December.)

Denied by my number 1 choice in early March, then accepted on April 12th. Wait listed else where from Feb - April 15th. Accepted by schools on April 16th. It's a crazy world... earliest acceptance was early Jan by telephone interview.

Don't count anything being a done deal until April 15th.

Mark

I was on 4 waitlists. I got in off of two and removed myself from the other two. It wasn't a great process but I'm happy with where I ended up. I remember saying that I felt like "the eternal bridesmaid...but never the bride." I guess my proposal was just a little late :p

I was on 4 waitlists. I got in off of two and removed myself from the other two. It wasn't a great process but I'm happy with where I ended up. I remember saying that I felt like "the eternal bridesmaid...but never the bride." I guess my proposal was just a little late :p
HA! I don't quite feel like that yet, but there's still plenty of time... Good feedback though and congrats :)

Mark and WildCat: Sounds like some very interesting experiences for the both of you. Seems like schools like to toy with our emotions! ;) It's ironic how much the doctoral application process turns us into scared, bumbling, vulnerable messes when these are some of the very same feelings we intend to help our future clients with! Talk about being able to empathize...

one program I applied to had 17 people interview for 2 spots...naturally I ended up on the waiting list of that program and never was accepted

the other program I was waitlisted at I was 3rd alternate, then 2nd alternate, and then someone else accepted....so I was rejected.

hence why I am reapplying

what helped was that the school I was 2nd alternate for offered me a lot of advice as to how to reapply and fix my application

it all works out in the end :)