The EM Personality

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You sound exactly like me. I'm more of a sleuth than I am a cowboy. I also like psychiatry, and I do tend to over analyze things. A lot of people say that EM burns you out if you work too much. I was wondering, is that only true for those laid back cowboy types, or does that apply to you as well?
I don't know. A lot of the things that bother other people (addicts, drug seekers, paperwork, etc.) don't really bother me. The hours get to everyone sometimes. I find it hardest to go from overnights back to days. It's always easier to stay up later and later than it is to get up earlier. Anyway, I don't envision myself working in the ED full time after I finish residency, so it's kind of a moot point in my case.

let me guess...EM/IM?
Nope. EM + fellowship/academic career though. :)

Are there any INTJ emergency medicine docs out there? If so, how do you differ from the stereotype "short attention span/mountain climbing" ones? Are INTJ EM docs better or worse when it comes to burnout?

If you don't know what INTJ is, no need to reply (its not worth explaining).
I am an INTJ. See above.

Members don't see this ad.

Are there any INTJ emergency medicine docs out there? If so, how do you differ from the stereotype "short attention span/mountain climbing" ones? Are INTJ EM docs better or worse when it comes to burnout?

If you don't know what INTJ is, no need to reply (its not worth explaining).

I am an INTJ. :)

Only 2 months into residency so take it with a grain of salt: I admittedly do feel very different from the rest of my super outgoing co-interns (we get along great though, they all love to talk and I love listening to them talk -- lots of ER docs are superb storytellers) but I think we are all functioning about the same as residents.

One thing I hope to work on this year is being more assertive. I'm a really shy person (this will hold anyone back, not just in EM) so calling consults or just dealing with unpleasant people is hard sometimes for me but killing them with kindness has also worked well. I have gotten along so well with some consulting attendings and fellows that I can speed dial some of them just for a telephone consult.

Good luck! Like other people have said, there are plenty of personality types in the ED so don't let that hold you back! :luck::thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
I"ll add a wholehearted second to the ADHD vote. And to the climbing vote. It's a great combination.

I think most medical schools wants that Es over Is, N over S, and P over T

so your are an extroverted leader who thinks outside of the box, run with your idea, and have empathy towards your pts.

The issue is that E, S, T types have high rates of failing/F-ing up early in life, so if you have that sort of personality and still managed to make it this far, it will carry you further into leadership/innovator positions

my aeroplane is called 'Lifesaver' i'm a rural EM doc who has done base jumping, climbed in dormant volcanoes, underwater caving and get a kick out of grave yard walking at 2am.....i'm the break all boundaries, kinda ER doc that everyone loves to hate and i don't care ......my patients love that i can get to their level but i also stick to the rules......i guess you could say im the Dr. Doug Ross of the outback but i have my limits......thats my personality!