The Investment Thread (stocks, bonds, real estate, retirement, just not gold)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
pretty good article tax strategy for those who are planning to retire early

http://www.gocurrycracker.com/never-pay-taxes-again/

definitely good at promoting themselves but they aren't the norm.

no kids, no debt, software engineer or some type of computer work making a salary far above most, they don't fit most americans who have kids or other obligations (taking care of parents) as liabilities.

their principles on saving and investing are sound but nothing really new.

Members don't see this ad.

definitely good at promoting themselves but they aren't the norm.

no kids, no debt, software engineer or some type of computer work making a salary far above most, they don't fit most americans who have kids or other obligations (taking care of parents) as liabilities.

their principles on saving and investing are sound but nothing really new.

True and they are investing in a bull market. The bear will come out of hibernation. It is just a matter of time.

That is why I am still heavy in cash.

Also... would having student loans affect your income tax?
The student loan interest deduction phases out when your Modified Adjusted Gross Income is $65k-$80k for singles, and $130k-$160k for Married Filing Jointly. Most pharmacists are above this range so they cannot deduct student loan interest.

Also, the maximum amount of interest you can deduct is $2,500.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The student loan interest deduction phases out when your Modified Adjusted Gross Income is $65k-$80k for singles, and $130k-$160k for Married Filing Jointly. Most pharmacists are above this range so they cannot deduct student loan interest.

Also, the maximum amount of interest you can deduct is $2,500.

I would like to add that 2500 in tax deduction is not that much money. Assuming you are tax at 27% so 2500 x 0.27 = $675 in saving.

When you are eligible to withdraw money from your 401 k, how much are you planning to withdraw per year (in today's money).
I'm actually starting to think that I might not need that much in retirement. My mortgage will be paid off in just a few more months, and after that my baseline expenses will be only $25k/yr. So right now while I'm working full-time and maxing out $18k 401k and $5.5k Roth IRA, I have around $45k/yr for free spending money, and even now I don't really know what to do with it. Maybe I'm too frugal lol.

But anyway to answer your question, let's say I can live on $25k baseline + $25k spending money. If Social Security pays out $20k, then I'll only need $30k from my 401k or Roth IRA. Which means I don't even need to max them out to get a sufficient balance to sustain those withdrawals.

I am in the same shoe. If you worked as a pharmacist for 30 years and retired at 67, you should get 33 k a year in today's money in social security assuming it doesn't change

Add that to your 401 k withdrawal and you would get 6 figures annually. You are going to pay a lot of taxes in retirement.

That is why I am putting more money in my taxable account. If I retire early then I can cash out without paying any or much tax on capital gains

I would like a nice wallet. You have to take care of yourself first. I don't want to wait until I am retired to have a nice life. Time is more important than money. Once it is gone, it is gone forever.

Time/health > money

There was an article on Yahoo a few days ago: Americans are deluded about when they will retire that found about a third of Americans SAY they would like to retire after 70, or never, but in reality about one third retire before 60 and one third between 60-64. Reasons for premature retirement were usually involuntary like personal health issues or being laid off.

Especially in retail pharmacy, I think you'll get burned out or laid off within 10-20 years, so I'm not going to spend like a big baller when you're making six-figures fresh out of school in your twenties. I think it's better to make sure you get all your student loans and even a paid off house ASAP, and save and invest your money (some in taxable accounts) so that you will have enough passive income to live off from your 50s.

I'd like to think that I'll be independent of a paycheck by the time I'm 45-50 but I'd like to work until 65 ... maybe even part time beyond 65. That however is a LONG time from now haha

There was an article on Yahoo a few days ago: Americans are deluded about when they will retire that found about a third of Americans SAY they would like to retire after 70, or never, but in reality about one third retire before 60 and one third between 60-64. Reasons for premature retirement were usually involuntary like personal health issues or being laid off.

Especially in retail pharmacy, I think you'll get burned out or laid off within 10-20 years, so I'm not going to spend like a big baller when you're making six-figures fresh out of school in your twenties. I think it's better to make sure you get all your student loans and even a paid off house ASAP, and save and invest your money (some in taxable accounts) so that you will have enough passive income to live off from your 50s.

Well said about retail. I think working in retail would probably take at least 5 years out of my life.

The big thing is your health. You can't retire when you are not healthy but working a stressful job would just make it worse. It is like you are between a rock and a hard place.

I have also been spending. Just got a pair of shoes for almost $800. My feet have never been so comfortable so yeah, money well spent. I think there are things you should not be frugal. Your health is certainly one.

Well said about retail. I think working in retail would probably take at least 5 years out of my life.

The big thing is your health. You can't retire when you are not healthy but working a stressful job would just make it worse. It is like you are between a rock and a hard place.

I have also been spending. Just got a pair of shoes for almost $800. My feet have never been so comfortable so yeah, money well spent. I think there are things you should not be frugal. Your health is certainly one.

$800 on shoes???

Those shoes better give you a happy ending!

Unless you got some funky foot stuff going on (like the need for custom orthotics, then $800 makes sense), there's gotta be a comfy shoe out there for under $200. I get itchy spending > $150 and I like to think I buy nice/comfy ones.

It's better to over save than trying to squeak by in the sake of "not paying too much in taxes". You don't want to exhaust all your money before you die and be one of those old people who can't pay $1.20 copay. If you want to use all your money before you die, your timing has to be perfect. Unless you can see the future, always try save more than less... try not to be a burden of your family and society when you are 85 and dying.

On the side note: $800 will give me a lifetime supply of shoes...

It's better to over save than trying to squeak by in the sake of "not paying too much in taxes". You don't want to exhaust all your money before you die and be one of those old people who can't pay $1.20 copay. If you want to use all your money before you die, your timing has to be perfect. Unless you can see the future, always try save more than less... try not to be a burden of your family and society when you are 85 and dying.

On the side note: $800 will give me a lifetime supply of shoes...

What're your thoughts on deferred fixed annuities as a hedge for a long life in healthy individuals? I know I can always do better $ managing money myself...but variables like mild cognitive impairment/dementia and family history of long life span weighs in on my thought process.

Same with long-term care insurance...like a partial policy as a hedge, but those get expensive.

Members don't see this ad :)
What're your thoughts on deferred fixed annuities as a hedge for a long life in healthy individuals? I know I can always do better $ managing money myself...but variables like mild cognitive impairment/dementia and family history of long life span weighs in on my thought process.

Same with long-term care insurance...like a partial policy as a hedge, but those get expensive.

I'd have to say no... I don't like inflexibility of annuities, more taxes later (all considered as income) vs. 15% only long term cap gains, not inheritable, often more fees, more rules and limitation. I am sure this might be the right product for someone else. It's just not for me.

http://www.forbes.com/2010/07/16/fi...ersonal-finance-bogleheads-view-lindauer.html

http://www.cnbc.com/id/101239958

@ bmb - I agree with the health part...smoothies every day (cycle the greens - spinach/kale/collard greens/chard + banana + almond milk + flax/chia seeds + carrots + cycled fruits like apple/orange) + workout 3-4 times/week! make healthy choices w' diet, sleep a lot, go find your stress relieving hobby (me = dirt bikes).

shoes = thrift store if you're really frugal, otherwise *always* pay a low retail price (ie. wait for kohl's biggest sales + use slickdeals/fatwallet coupons)

I bought 4 bikes + quad + trailer for $4,000 last year...2 bikes left to fix/sell...total profit ~$3,700 (tax free)

I kept telling everyone I enjoy/fixing working on motorcycles, so I don't mind putting in the time...but it took MONTHS before I finally sold most of them. Doing all that work of manual labor + advertising + selling is a LOT more work than earning interest a 3-fund lazy portfolio. granted I won't get 93% interest, I'm done w' that unless it's a simple fix. PASSIVE INCOME FTW!

Last edited:
^ is it really tax free or you just choose not to pay taxes? LOL

Reactions: 1 users
$800 on shoes???

Those shoes better give you a happy ending!

Unless you got some funky foot stuff going on (like the need for custom orthotics, then $800 makes sense), there's gotta be a comfy shoe out there for under $200. I get itchy spending > $150 and I like to think I buy nice/comfy ones.

Yes, they are expensive but it is an investment in my health for many years to come.

There are things I don't mind spending money on. Health, good food, some travel, just to name a few.

The way I see it, there is no point in having a lot of money if:

(1) you are not healthy
(2) you don't have anyone to share it with
(3) you are constantly stressed and tired from work
(4) you hate your life

Let's hear more about these shoes. We haven't had a thread about those in a while, but this sounds like it could be a game changer. No more ugly Z-coil/Crocs?

I've casually started looking at houses and after reading a few articles I'm now second guessing this decision. Obviously this decision will be different depending on life circumstances but for me presently - not married, no kids - buying a house really doesn't look to be a good decision.

http://jlcollinsnh.com/2013/05/29/why-your-house-is-a-terrible-investment/
http://jlcollinsnh.com/2012/02/23/rent-v-owning-your-home-opportunity-cost-and-running-some-numbers/
http://www.jamesaltucher.com/2011/03/why-i-am-never-going-to-own-a-home-again/

Last edited:
*full disclaimer* - I don't have a house

the way I see it - we're the same situation - the single family home/condo means: comfortable quality of life, space for future family, tax writeoffs, or if it has the same monthly payment as rent then buy

if same (or close) payment as rent, then if you now make a mortgage payment, you get the tax writeoffs and are building equity.

if you want comfort - buy it.

But if you *just* want financial benefits from it (like me), buy a house as an investment - rent out other units, rooms, etc. they say renting is throwing money away, but when you buy a house you have a good amount of closing costs, taxes, escrow fees, legal fees, insurance that you DON'T get back.

Even after you buy a house - your maintenance, annual taxes, and insurance - you don't get back...I live in Long Beach where a $627,000 single family home near cal state long beach (so I can rent it out) will have ~$678/month of taxes of property taxes + insurance (and PMI if I don't put down $125,000). So basically I need to come to the table with $140-$150,000 in my checking account, wipe out almost all of it, and now pay up $$ to maintain a property and deal with roommates. For reference, splitting a 2br apt in long beach is $675/month...hassle free, and in both cases I "lose" $675/month, but at least with rent I can earn interest on whatever money I have in my bank and it's available to me immediately

I really hate that phrase that you're "throwing away money" by renting.

There are so many nuances to buy vs. rent that the above phrase really dumbs down the conversation. When you account for everything Muse600 says and throw in that house prices pretty much track inflation, sometimes it's a really dumb financial decision.

I won't write more because Muse600 pretty much hit most of it on the head.

That said, the real estate market is not conducive to buyers right now, the spreads between new & older homes is too high and supply hasn't had a chance to catch up (I think builders were caught getting flat footed). In local terms, I'm waiting for a few VC funded unicorns to implode and hopefully some of that excess $$ flooding the market will correct some prices in some desirable areas.

agreed...it really isn't...living isn't free even if you paid off a property...

that's why I say rental property is good...because when the mortgage is done, hopefully the rental income covers the taxes/insurance/maintenance fees

I plan to pay off a rental property eventually, because the tricky part is I'd imagine rent will creep up in 30 years too...so in the mean time, I'll buy a single family (generally cheaper to buy in Long Beach than a multi-family), rent it out, and live in an RV on my driveway :laugh:

and I can use it when I go on desert camping trips with the dirt bikes!

20150228_153451.jpg

vlcsnap-2015-03-01-03h03m34s125.jpg

I've casually started looking at houses and after reading a few articles I'm now second guessing this decision. Obviously this decision will be different depending on life circumstances but for me presently - not married, no kids - buying a house really doesn't look to be a good decision.

http://jlcollinsnh.com/2012/02/23/rent-v-owning-your-home-opportunity-cost-and-running-some-numbers/
I bought a house and have almost paid off the mortgage (in 7 years). But it's not because I think houses are a great investment. In fact, I agree with those blogs that they are a horrible investment. So I look at housing more like an expense rather than an investment. Part of this means you should try to reduce your housing expenses so you have more money to spend/invest in other stuff. From this viewpoint, renting or buying with a 30 year mortgage and only paying the minimum, makes more sense so that you can invest the money elsewhere.

But on the other hand, we usually like to reward ourselves by spending money on things, and that could very well be on a house, or a car, vacation, handbag, etc. All of the later have an even worse return on investment than a house, but that doesn't stop us from buying them. :p So you have to find a balance between spending and true investing.

Also watch out for the role that debt plays. It often tricks you into spending more than you should. Like when people say "I'll just borrow with a mortgage at 3% or car loan at 1.9% because I can make more money by investing in the stock market". However, the reality is most people never actually invest that money in the stock market. Instead, they just find something else to spend the money on, until they are tapped out and can't borrow anymore. That's why I'm paying off my mortgage, firstly to not tempt me to spend on other junk, but also for the security of having a place to live even if the stock market goes belly up.

I don't see the "10% correction" happening anytime soon if people are already as cash heavy as I am lead to believe. The delay on raising interest rates should help the market despite the fact that is an indication of a weak economy.

Last edited:
1. Buy an index fund. Avoid 401ks like the plague. You'really subsidizing the Wall Street industry.

Don't believe me? I bet you 1% of your balance your 401k administrator can't or won't reveal your 401k fee (s).

2. IRA are acceptable, especially SEP IRAs, if self-employed. Max out with an a Vanguard index fund.

3. If you must, purchase a home cash, preferably an REO. Your monthly mortgage payment should be at least $400 less than what your property will earn in rent. If not you're probably paying too much.

4. Don't buy a car over 20k...mathematically, it won't hold enough residual value to justify the purchase. Again, cash only.

If yout must impress your friends, get new friends. Joking, kind of, but seriously sublease, rather than lease your new car. Taking over payments vs. paymens plus down payment is a better deal, without contract restriction.

5. Choose your spouse carefully. I've lost money chasing women, but never lost women chasing money, unless she had her own. Nuff said.

6. Invest 3% of your salary in your own education. Don't rest on your laurels after earning your degree. It's competitive out there, and this world economy demands that you're constantly developing new skills.

7. Throw away your television. If you must watch the game, personally visit a friend or make some new friends at a bar. Time is the one thing you cannot purchase with your salary. Spend it wisely.

8. Another shocker, make more memories than you buy more things. Nobody will care about your stuff at your funeral. Go travel. Take pictures. Leave work at home.

9. Spend twice as much to buy half as many. Your clothing should be made of quality materials. Cheap imitations always breadown. Go ahead and invest in the best brand.

10. Wait 24 hours before any major purchase. Many forget to check thwor emotions before they buy stuff on television or inside a store. Make sure that you're not buying something to compensate for some psychological issue.
Make your own luck.

1. Buy an index fund. Avoid 401ks like the plague. You'really subsidizing the Wall Street industry.

Don't believe me? I bet you 1% of your balance your 401k administrator can't or won't reveal your 401k fee (s).

Not quite feasible for most pharmacists who are employed and whose only preferred pre-tax vehicle is a 401k (or 403b).

ERISA requires plans to submit fee disclosures annually - I got mine a few months ago. Not like you have a choice, though... IRA limits are $5500/yr and you can't deduct unless you're not part of a qualified plan at work (most of us are).

2. IRA are acceptable, especially SEP IRAs, if self-employed. Max out with an a Vanguard index fund.

Yeah good luck unless you're self-employed (see above answer).

I'd actually make the argument that an individual 401k (aka i40k, aka solo 401k) is the superior product. A SEP IRA limits contributions to 25% of compensation (20% depending on your structure), so the break even is about $252k (accounting for SE taxes).

So for the average pharmacist who is employed and perhaps does consulting on the side, earning $30,000 self-employed, he/she gets to put away $18,000 + 20% of $30k ($6k) = $24,000 in a solo 401k vs. only (20% x 30k) = $6,000 via a SEP IRA.

Those with SEP IRA accounts can just open a solo 401k and utilize both -- I have friends that contribute the 20% profit sharing into a SEP and $18,000 personal contribution into the solo 401k. It's the same line item on the 1040 in aggregate anyway.

3. If you must, purchase a home cash, preferably an REO. Your monthly mortgage payment should be at least $400 less than what your property will earn in rent. If not you're probably paying too much.

Slim pickings in the REO market now, but generally good advice. I think people should buy houses systematically and not on emotion... emotion = you overpay.

4. Don't buy a car over 20k...mathematically, it won't hold enough residual value to justify the purchase. Again, cash only.

Agreed. Exception I think is you can do 0% financing over 5 years and set to auto-pay. I don't think I've ever paid interest for a car loan.

If yout must impress your friends, get new friends. Joking, kind of, but seriously sublease, rather than lease your new car. Taking over payments vs. paymens plus down payment is a better deal, without contract restriction.

For those that have it, look into just using Uber and/or car sharing -- it can be cheaper than owning/maintaining your own car.

5. Choose your spouse carefully. I've lost money chasing women, but never lost women chasing money, unless she had her own. Nuff said.

Lol. But half the fun is chasing women... at least put a stop date of 25 in there.

6. Invest 3% of your salary in your own education. Don't rest on your laurels after earning your degree. It's competitive out there, and this world economy demands that you're constantly developing new skills.

That's like $5000/yr on continuing education... look into MOOC's (like Coursera) which are free, codeacademy if you want to learn coding, and most employers have lots of internal CE/continuous training programs.

Don't forget to ask, many employers will invest in the right person additional training/certifications.

7. Throw away your television. If you must watch the game, personally visit a friend or make some new friends at a bar. Time is the one thing you cannot purchase with your salary. Spend it wisely.

#$@$ that. I'll spend more money at the bar anyway, over time (don't forget gas/etc...). TV's are cheap - $500 is like < a day's work for most of us.

Cut cable is more like it...but beware, sometimes it's more expensive to buy streaming separately.

Personally, I spend the $$ on the TV + high end cable package w/ DVR. It's cheaper to watch games on TV vs. my other option which is season tickets at the ballpark. Plus, with the DVR I can watch things when I want and fast forward through commercials (online streaming locks you in sometimes).

Besides, I'll save my season ticket money and spend the $$ for the postseason, which leads me to your next piece of advice...

8. Another shocker, make more memories than you buy more things. Nobody will care about your stuff at your funeral. Go travel. Take pictures. Leave work at home.

Yup. Agreed.

9. Spend twice as much to buy half as many. Your clothing should be made of quality materials. Cheap imitations always breadown. Go ahead and invest in the best brand.

Mostly yes...but don't confuse price for quality.

I am making tons of money trading long and short leveraged gold ETF's. Been doing it for over 2 years. I make money just about every time gold price moves. This is in my IRA so no short term capital gains taxes.

Conteittiflyer- How does solo 401 k work when you already have a job? Can you put 18 k in your employer 401 k and then put another 18 k in your solo 401 k?

I am making tons of money trading long and short leveraged gold ETF's. Been doing it for over 2 years. I make money just about every time gold price moves. This is in my IRA so no short term capital gains taxes.

Why is gold falling so much today if the market is also down? I thought they generally had an inverse relationship.

I was actually thinking of buying a 3x inverse crude oil ETN

Why is gold falling so much today if the market is also down? I thought they generally had an inverse relationship.

I was actually thinking of buying a 3x inverse crude oil ETN

I think it has something to do with 10 year treasuries today.

Sold my GLL and bought more UGL. I just keep churning it.

I think it has something to do with 10 year treasuries today.

Sold my GLL and bought more UGL. I just keep churning it.

I'v been planning on doing the exact same thing with UWTI/DWTI. It's probably not a good idea going long right now considering crude is at it's yearly high right now. Just looking for an entry point to short it for the time being. Any input? I wish I went long last month but honestly I figured it'd be months before prices rebounded.

So do you guys think oil will continue to rise this month or will we see a pullback?

Last edited:
Conteittiflyer- How does solo 401 k work when you already have a job? Can you put 18 k in your employer 401 k and then put another 18 k in your solo 401 k?

Crap you're right...aggregate 401k limit is 18k.

One can still continue the "employer/profit" share independent of that limit, though.

I'm starting to think about picking up an off-lease 2012 Chevy Volt. They are selling at auction for under $12k. Retail for about $15k. They were $40,000 cars 3 years ago. They are fantastically appointed with great tech and good gas mileage when not in electric mode.

I'v been planning on doing the exact same thing with UWTI/DWTI. It's probably not a good idea going long right now considering crude is at it's yearly high right now. Just looking for an entry point to short it for the time being. Any input? I wish I went long last month but honestly I figured it'd be months before prices rebounded.

So do you guys think oil will continue to rise this month or will we see a pullback?

Can't speak for oil because I don't follow the prices much (except at the gas pump). Just buy the short one on an up day and/or long one on a down day. Double down every time the price (of the ETF) moves further down. Sell and take a quick profit when it goes up. Don't gamble too much. I never exceed 5-10% of my portfolio value. Most of the rest is in S&P index funds, REITs, cash, or earning sweet sweet dividends in VYM.

I'm starting to think about picking up an off-lease 2012 Chevy Volt. They are selling at auction for under $12k. Retail for about $15k. They were $40,000 cars 3 years ago. They are fantastically appointed with great tech and good gas mileage when not in electric mode.

This would be the smart thing to do. But the new corvette is pretty nice...

Well, brokerage account just dropped to +$1.55. What the ****

What did you invest in?

A crapload of Vanguard ETFs. My top 5 in quantity: FTSE Emerging Markets ETF, Health Care ETF, High Dividend Yield ETF, S&P 500 ETF, and Total International Stock Index Fund ETF,

A crapload of Vanguard ETFs. My top 5 in quantity: FTSE Emerging Markets ETF, Health Care ETF, High Dividend Yield ETF, S&P 500 ETF, and Total International Stock Index Fund ETF,

How much did you invest and for how long?

Really? Where? Why is it so cheap? Actually why did the value go down so much so quickly? Makes me a bit suspicious. Maybe the battery pack isn't as good as it's made out to be? Means in 3 more years it'll be worth a couple thousand by then? I'd be worried about the maintenance and parts for a car like that though the deal sounds too good to be true. There might be a catch.

I echo what others say about housing. Whether or not it's a great investment depends on many factors and housing, like other investments, have risks themselves.

Maintenance, risks, taxes (property especially), insurance, furnishings, cleaning, and repairs all have to be below the increase in house prices for it to be worth it. Landlocked areas and areas near cities are somewhat safer bets but have their own risks as well.

People get caught up in housing as a great investment and retirement vehicle, but in 2008, prices plummeted, people were laid off, they couldn't make mortgage payments, and they didn't have enough emergency savings to make those payments and look for other work since they are busy stuffing their house with crap they don't need. I think housing is a great way to park your money and build on an asset you can collect on if you plan to stay in an area for a long time. There are rent vs buy calculators out there and a general rule of thumb is that if you stay in an area for more than 5 years, it's a good idea to buy a house. If you are staying for a shorter time, then it's better to rent. You also have to think about the closing costs, lawyers, and maintenance. Owning a house is like another job. Depending on what phase of life you're in could influence the decision to buy or to rent.

I've seen disaster stories of people renting homes for too much instead of saving for a downpayment and buying a house. Then those people can't make those payments anymore and are left with nothing. I've also seen many more buy more house than they can afford. That turns ugly too.

Some turn to rental properties and in certain areas that works. In my area though rental properties is a pretty poor investment and being a landlord is like another job so I hear. Getting $2500 rent ($30K on a $700,000 house) isn't a great return and I haven't counted repairs, $13000 property tax, and so on. Even at 500K it's not that great, depending on property tax rate. In some other states though the math works out much better. I thought about buying a house like yourself and was convinced about housing but got facepunched into reality and decided to stick with renting. Plus I'm a pretty lazy guy and I don't want to be responsible for a house in this time of life.

Another issue is the square footage of houses these days are so insanely high. It's quite ridiculous in my opinion. 2000 sq ft is too much for me and there's a slow trend to a more human scale, especially as humans are downsizing. I'd prefer a small house myself; there's less cleaning, cheaper, more cozy, less taxes, and less work involved. Some people buy those ugly ass McMansions that stick out like a sore thumb in the neighborhood. People want to show off mansions as a status symbol that validates everything about them when in reality most people got it by borrowing money. It's a mirage of a dream that shouldn't really exist and people do it mainly to show off. That's the answer I got asking my parents why they wanted a big house. To show off. Not worth it financially, would've done better indexing, buy and hold.

If you're thinking of buying a house, think about what you really need in life to be comfortable. Housing is treated too much like an investment these days. It should be treated more like a home that you come to, relax, spend time with family, and have good memories of the life you have. Not trying to game the market, move here, there, sell, flip or whatever and fill with crap and move that crap.

And I wouldn't worry about image. A lot of people "own" a lot but not many have a lot. Then at the end you can laugh at them.

Last edited:
$3500 since February 2015. I'm just now getting into Vanguard.

The stock market as a whole has been rocky this year. I would just take it as an opportunity to buy stocks at the same price as a few months ago.

I started to invest in individual stocks this year and so far it has been doing alright.

Well, brokerage account just dropped to +$1.55. What the ****

Confused...you mean $1500? The market went up today, how'd you lose money? If you're going from $3500 to $1550 that's pretty steep. Market is pretty flat though so it's what I'd expect. I hope you hold and don't panic. Don't let psychology get over you.

Confused...you mean $1500? The market went up today, how'd you lose money? If you're going from $3500 to $1550 that's pretty steep. Market is pretty flat though so it's what I'd expect. I hope you hold and don't panic. Don't let psychology get over you.

Huh? I mean $1.55. So I have bought $3500 and my balance as of right now is $3501.55

Huh? I mean $1.55. So I have bought $3500 and my balance as of right now is $3501.55

Ohh my bad. Big misinterpretation. Don't worry it's flat for all of us. But you said it dropped today to $1.55 when the markets went up today.

You didn't collect dividends in April or you didn't include the distributions?

Ohh my bad. Big misinterpretation. Don't worry it's flat for all of us. But you said it dropped today to $1.55 when the markets went up today.

You didn't collect dividends in April or you didn't include the distributions?

I have one share of EDV that tanked in price. I didn't get any dividends in April.

I have one share of EDV that tanked in price. I didn't get any dividends in April.

That's just weird, but that's an interesting portfolio. I'm +5.254% in my main Vanguard account (I can't calculate my actual return since I have like 8 accounts scattered around for reasons I don't feel like explaining).

That VG account has the following funds: VFIAX, VEMAX, VSMAX, VISVX, and VVIAX. I looked at investment returns from 1/1/15 to present.