The job vs. the job - how far(?!) has it come in 10ish years

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Arcan57

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Inspired by personal growth thread and a conversation last night with doc who posed an interesting question "Given today's [practice environment], do you think anyone is going to be able to do 20-30 years of this job?"

My thought was there are going to be people that stick it out that long but it will be rare. But it also got me thinking of what the job was when I came out vs. what the job is currently. And man, things were different back then. In no particular order:

1) Pay: whelp... adjusted for inflation I was making $468k as an IC my first year out working 14 10s/month. I'm making about 25% less now but as an employee working 15-16 9s currently.

2) Pathology: really tough to compare due to different practice environments. Prior to moving to VA, trend seemed to be increases in the extremes- more non-sick can't get into office visits and more "most of my organs don't work" patients with fewer one off (healthy patients with appy/chole/etc) diseases. Very low risk of getting a severe infection from a patient. Post-exposure HIV prophylaxis was a thing, TB was rare in my practice environment, and even though my first winter was H1N1's inaugural visit I don't remember any HCW getting severely ill. Since then we've dealt with COVID/monkeypox/Ebola although only COVID seems to have made a significant change in routine PPE use.

3)Nursing: night and day. NPs were a thing but online NP schools weren't. CRNAs weren't nearly as prevalent either. My large hospital (600+ beds) had 3 non-clinical admin spots for EM nurses (director, manager, education/quality). Bedside nursing was a mostly a terminal position and the majority of the nurses in the ED had 7-8 years of time in the ED and a decade+ of bedside nursing experience. The efficacy of the worst nurse I worked with starting out is roughly on par with what I expect from the average nurse today.

4)Diagnostics: pretty similar. Back in the day we scanned everything and we still do. Could get MRIs for emergent conditions, still can. Roughly similar environments in terms of POC tests. Didn't have quick turn around multi bug respiratory and GI panels but also rarely needed them. Spent a lot of time worrying about CVP and ScVO2...

5)Location of care: Sea change from 2008. I'm not sure I ever set foot in the waiting room during my first year on the job. Director was still fighting to have every patient undressed and in a gown when they were roomed. Occassionally would move a stable admitted patient temporarily to a hallway spot in the ED if we had a code and all of our beds were full. Physician in triage wouldn't start for another 3 years and when it did it was 6 triage rooms with 3 RNs, 2 techs, an MD, a MLP, and 2 experienced scribes.

Now- physician in triage usually just means a doc or MLP, we usually don't have staff to run the tests ordered at triage, and the pace of check-ins during the majority of the day means there's no time for a physical exam thorough enough to significantly change initial management. A growing percentage of "vertical 3s" never see the main ED (probably a net good) and a growing percentage of ESI 2s get admitted from the waiting room without ever receiving treatment except maybe O2 (a definite regression).

6) Charting- paper T's with a scribe. Had to write holding orders for all admissions. Would still take that trade every day of the week. Orders were still written and entered by a unit clerk.

7) Expected pace- working for a Team site, group was pegged to roughly 1.7 pph. Complete butt whuppings where the world was crashing down around you would edge towards 3 pph. Docs that fell under 1.2 pph got talked to but nobody was let go for being "slow". My last year with Team expectation was 2.2 pph, last year with APP our group average was 2.3 solo and mid 3s with MLP. A bad Monday would be 4-4.5 pph solo with a similar acuity as first job.

8) Other docs-definitely trending for the better. I was one of only 2 EM trained docs 6 months into my first job, now even at the VA the majority are EM trained. The head-shaking "How the F did they miss that" cases are much less common. It's been years since I've been in a shouting match with an admitting doc or consultant and almost a decade since being told I'm just a glorified triage nurse. Most consultants seem to have a working understanding of EMTALA.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Y’all still in it have my eternal respect, admiration and thanks. You’re made out of tougher stuff than I am.

I bow down to anyone who can do 30 years of it. I was good for a hair over ten, until out of necessity, my motto became, “Get out before ya stroke out.”

I’ve been out almost 12 years now and I still can occasionally smell the smoldering embers of the burnout-pyre I had become.

Reactions: 5 users
Inspired by personal growth thread and a conversation last night with doc who posed an interesting question "Given today's [practice environment], do you think anyone is going to be able to do 20-30 years of this job?"

My thought was there are going to be people that stick it out that long but it will be rare. But it also got me thinking of what the job was when I came out vs. what the job is currently. And man, things were different back then. In no particular order:

1) Pay: whelp... adjusted for inflation I was making $468k as an IC my first year out working 14 10s/month. I'm making about 25% less now but as an employee working 15-16 9s currently.

2) Pathology: really tough to compare due to different practice environments. Prior to moving to VA, trend seemed to be increases in the extremes- more non-sick can't get into office visits and more "most of my organs don't work" patients with fewer one off (healthy patients with appy/chole/etc) diseases. Very low risk of getting a severe infection from a patient. Post-exposure HIV prophylaxis was a thing, TB was rare in my practice environment, and even though my first winter was H1N1's inaugural visit I don't remember any HCW getting severely ill. Since then we've dealt with COVID/monkeypox/Ebola although only COVID seems to have made a significant change in routine PPE use.

3)Nursing: night and day. NPs were a thing but online NP schools weren't. CRNAs weren't nearly as prevalent either. My large hospital (600+ beds) had 3 non-clinical admin spots for EM nurses (director, manager, education/quality). Bedside nursing was a mostly a terminal position and the majority of the nurses in the ED had 7-8 years of time in the ED and a decade+ of bedside nursing experience. The efficacy of the worst nurse I worked with starting out is roughly on par with what I expect from the average nurse today.

4)Diagnostics: pretty similar. Back in the day we scanned everything and we still do. Could get MRIs for emergent conditions, still can. Roughly similar environments in terms of POC tests. Didn't have quick turn around multi bug respiratory and GI panels but also rarely needed them. Spent a lot of time worrying about CVP and ScVO2...

5)Location of care: Sea change from 2008. I'm not sure I ever set foot in the waiting room during my first year on the job. Director was still fighting to have every patient undressed and in a gown when they were roomed. Occassionally would move a stable admitted patient temporarily to a hallway spot in the ED if we had a code and all of our beds were full. Physician in triage wouldn't start for another 3 years and when it did it was 6 triage rooms with 3 RNs, 2 techs, an MD, a MLP, and 2 experienced scribes.

Now- physician in triage usually just means a doc or MLP, we usually don't have staff to run the tests ordered at triage, and the pace of check-ins during the majority of the day means there's no time for a physical exam thorough enough to significantly change initial management. A growing percentage of "vertical 3s" never see the main ED (probably a net good) and a growing percentage of ESI 2s get admitted from the waiting room without ever receiving treatment except maybe O2 (a definite regression).

6) Charting- paper T's with a scribe. Had to write holding orders for all admissions. Would still take that trade every day of the week. Orders were still written and entered by a unit clerk.

7) Expected pace- working for a Team site, group was pegged to roughly 1.7 pph. Complete butt whuppings where the world was crashing down around you would edge towards 3 pph. Docs that fell under 1.2 pph got talked to but nobody was let go for being "slow". My last year with Team expectation was 2.2 pph, last year with APP our group average was 2.3 solo and mid 3s with MLP. A bad Monday would be 4-4.5 pph solo with a similar acuity as first job.

8) Other docs-definitely trending for the better. I was one of only 2 EM trained docs 6 months into my first job, now even at the VA the majority are EM trained. The head-shaking "How the F did they miss that" cases are much less common. It's been years since I've been in a shouting match with an admitting doc or consultant and almost a decade since being told I'm just a glorified triage nurse. Most consultants seem to have a working understanding of EMTALA.
I’ve been at the same site for 10.5 years. We’ve been quasi SDG to different CMG to different CMG over that time. You’re spot on about everything re : waiting room medicine and quality of nursing. I literally have no nurses with more than 3 years experience in my night crew anymore. Back then if the place was burning down the nurse manager would take a core. Now when it’s burning down they say good luck and leave.. not that they’d necessarily be much help anyway with literally no bedside experience.

Seems to me as we are accepting a lot more transfers that many of my consultants have no clue how EMTALA works. Why did you accept this {uncomplicated gen surg or urology issue} !?!!!? 🤷🏻‍♀️ we have capacity and call coverage? I especially enjoy these conversations when I know they are probably being paid more to take call than I am to work the shift. Oh well lol

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I’ve been out almost 12 years now and I still can occasionally smell the smoldering embers of the burnout-pyre I had become.

You weren't burnt out, but a victim of moral injury inflicted on you by your employer.

I know it seems like simply semantics, but I refuse to play into corporate hospital/CMG garbage terminology, that tries to blame you, and you alone, for their refusal to address systemic sub par and dangerous working conditions.

Oh, the doctor mentioned improving staffing at the department meeting for patient safety? No, we have been following our corporate staffing ratios, across the board nationally, and pretend every ED is the exact same in terms of nursing ratios, availability of beds, throughput, ancillary support and patient population.

The doctor is just 'burnt out'. Let's take up more of his already limited time, that we've taken up already because we made him work extra shifts, because we suck so bad nobody else wants to work for us. Let's take up more of his time by forcing him to attend virtual pretend yoga meditation 'wellness seminars', and pretend all our workplace problems exist in his head, which he can meditate away...

EFF that noise.

Reactions: 8 users
You weren't burnt out, but a victim of moral injury inflicted on you by your employer.
You are 100% correct in saying that they try to pin the blame of "burnout" or "moral injury" on the physician.

"He's burned out. Throw 'em in the gutta, go get anotha."

Wow 4-4.5 pph through an entire shift. That sounds brutal.

Why would you do that job? That’s terrible staffing. Are you rvu bases where you take home 350-400 per hour. If not, then WHY?!?!?!

Wow 4-4.5 pph through an entire shift. That sounds brutal.

Why would you do that job? That’s terrible staffing. Are you rvu bases where you take home 350-400 per hour. If not, then WHY?!?!?!
Frog v. gradually boiling water. It had been the best job in the city, well paid, good staffing, experienced nurses, tons of interesting medical pathology with a full complement of friendly and useful supporting specialties as well as a decent number of dedicated nocturnists. We got paid on this funky system where basically the group average was pegged at a fixed $x/hr (regardless of actual collections or total RVUs from the group) and what you earned was weighted by your RVUs/total RVUs. Top couple of docs made $x+75, least productive was probably making $x-30.

Then more and more of the shifts you were covering were FSED which were slow and a nice break from the full-contact shifts at the main shop even if they were 12 hrs and were frequently overnights and paid a lot less. Then we had some MLP attrition and the replacements either didn't work out or couldn't get filled in the first place. Then most of the weekday morning shifts started going to an admin heavy doc that saw very few patients but billed 60-90 min of critical care on every patient so they were able to stay in the fat part of the compensation curve. The docs that followed/overlapped him would have to pick up the slack.

Things were still pretty good and moral was high and a lot of the docs were busy adding onto their families or houses and were willing to push hard to hit the financial benchmarks. Then 2 of 3 FSEDs became super busy on a pretty regular basis so you had a choice of drowning in acuity at the mothership or drowning in BS at the FSEDs. COVID hit and volumes cratered before bouncing right back within a year. By now we had been bought by a CMG and despite massive increases in RVU/hr across the group we were all still fighting for a piece of that same $x/hr average. You'd see 2-3 RVUs/hr more than last month and your hourly would fall because the group averaged 4 RVUs/hr higher than prior month. This is the point where I exited the story due to relocating out of the state. For the docs that stayed, it was a mix of inertia, liking the hospital, and having rapidly acquired large fixed expenses during the salad days that seems to have kept them there. They've acclimated to WR medicine because they don't have a choice and a lot of them are young enough to still believe in the mission.

Reactions: 1 users