Possibly the worst job in the entire United States

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alpinism

Give Em' the Jet Fuel
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Emergency Medicine Opportunity At Northern Montana Healthcare
Full time will be a total of 8 shifts a month for 400K with benefits

• 24 hour shifts
• One on One off shifts
• 40 patients a day
• Single Coverage
• FM and IM trained
• No MLP’s on shifts
• Level III trauma verified

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
WOW, quite miserable esp at 175/hr.

Only an FM will take this job.

Reactions: 1 user
Emergency Medicine Opportunity At Northern Montana Healthcare
Full time will be a total of 8 shifts a month for 400K with benefits

• 24 hour shifts
• One on One off shifts
• 40 patients a day
• Single Coverage
• FM and IM trained
• No MLP’s on shifts
• Level III trauma verified
What? What? 40 patients per day, meaning really unlikely that you get any sleep at all ... you're then expected to take 1 day off to recover and then come back and do it again? So 2 weeks a month of literal misery and then 2 weeks off?
F literally everything about that.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
But you’re making $400k and have 22 days off a month. That’s why we’re a lifestyle specialty, right?

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Who would take this job? Oh, non qualified IM/FM burnouts or people with bad marks on their record, that's who.

I feel bad for this community. Imagine bringing your septic newborn or post delivery hemorrhaging wife to this place and you get a retired rheumatologist.

I think one of the current docs in my group either used to work there or around there....I'm not sure if all rural Montana EDs are like this, but the job he described sounds strangely hectic like that...

Who would take this job? Oh, non qualified IM/FM burnouts or people with bad marks on their record, that's who.

I feel bad for this community. Imagine bringing your septic newborn or post delivery hemorrhaging wife to this place and you get a retired rheumatologist.
Lol pretty sure a retired rheumatologist may be the last person on earth that you would find in this scenario.

Reactions: 3 users
Friend of mine has a 1099 job on west coast: 225/hr. 10 hour shifts. 18 shifts/month. Range of volume has been 30-49(!) per shift.
+Responds to any codes on the floor.

< 5 years out and dreams of retirement.

Stinker.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 2 users
Right out of residency, I worked for an SDG for 125/hr at the busiest ED in the state, about 100k census. I was slow but the average pph was 2. It was single coverage from 2-6am with no night differential. I routinely stayed 1-2 hrs over and charted at home. Partnership was 5 years. They lied and said full time was 13 shifts per month and I worked 6 months straight never having fewer than 16. At the end, the head of the group informed me that all references to leave had to come from or at least through him. While I likely couldn’t have done the job listed above with my poor residency training, I honestly think my first job was worse.

• Wow
This is not one good thing about this job. I won't do it even for $300/hr. Even if they're all level 4s/5s, it is still too busy. And then you have to do eight of them a month. Nope.

Lol, why does it have to be one on one off? There was no better solution?

Members don't see this ad :)
From what i have been reading the Memphis Sound physicians job is worse. Med mal city with a very litigious patient population. Imagine offering 300/hr and still no one wants to work there.

Strike 1 memphis..
Strike 2 sound physicians
strike 3 Unsafe staffing and terrible staff

Reactions: 4 users
From what i have been reading the Memphis Sound physicians job is worse. Med mal city with a very litigious patient population. Imagine offering 300/hr and still no one wants to work there.

Strike 1 memphis..
Strike 2 sound physicians
strike 3 Unsafe staffing and terrible staff
But it’s right next to Graceland…

But yeah, seeing π pts/hr in South Memphis is going to hurt.

I lived in Memphis that was rough I went back for a wedding and I was nearly brought to tears being thankful I no longer had to live there

Reactions: 3 users
I thought TN had a GOOD Med.mal climate.
See right above your message. Seeing a bunch of litigious angry patients with bad nurses, poor MD and RN morale and long waits is a recipe to hear from your local ambulance chaser.

See right above your message. Seeing a bunch of litigious angry patients with bad nurses, poor MD and RN morale and long waits is a recipe to hear from your local ambulance chaser.
Brutal story out of the Memphis area tonight.
This doc had treated one of my family members previously. RIP.

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
Brutal story out of the Memphis area tonight.
This doc had treated one of my family members previously. RIP.

So sad. The ED generally, or at least my current and prior gigs, have done a good job of keeping the violent med seekers at bay (if that’s what this was about). It requires daily discomfort arguing over a few Norco, but it keeps me from broaching discussion about Opana, and so far, from being shot. I never prescribe more than a few days of immediate release, low dose, pain meds.

You’re still arguing with patients rather than working together to solve their problems, and that definitely takes a daily toll. I can at least win that argument.

Let’s be honest, though, no one would ever choose to partner with the average pt to solve any problem, whether it be health related or simply pumping gas. I’m honestly surprised we aren’t facing these tragedies more frequently.

Funny enough Sound is now offering physicians $325/hr to be on their travel ambassador team and cover the Memphis Hospitals.

Funny enough Sound is now offering physicians $325/hr to be on their travel ambassador team and cover the Memphis Hospitals.
Can someone fill me in on Sound and Memphis?

I love these names. Ambassador team.

People are getting angrier and have little respect for life. This will happen more often. ER providers will get hunted down when people get pissed that we don't give them their drugs.

That sounds almost identical to one of my ICU months in residency...
The brutal community one.
Q2 or something like that, spent almost the whole 24h rounding in 3 ICUs, basically 24 on, 24 off. And as soon as you finished and made it to the call room, the nurses started paging with stupid lab results because morning labs were coming in.
It was awful enough I'd blocked it from my memory until now. In fact, I'm not really sure how it flied except that somehow it did, back-in-the-day of the 80hr workweek rules. I guess 24x3 is only 72. Maybe I had weekends off? But it was only a month and NOT in the ER.

Shudder.

• Wow