The Official 04/13/2012 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jevo

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's about time we had an official thread, seeing how our mcat is less than a month away.

I'm getting ready for my first practice test on Saturday or Sunday. How is everyone else coming along?

Members don't see this ad.

Know your equations (there are a lot of them, but they are simple), and understand the concepts. Also, there were a lot of conceptual questions, most of which come from knowing facts and how things work. I felt like the answers to these types of questions come somewhat intuitively from background knowledge. Process of elimination also helps when you aren't sure of an answer.

Know your equations (there are a lot of them, but they are simple), and understand the concepts. Also, there were a lot of conceptual questions, most of which come from knowing facts and how things work. I felt like the answers to these types of questions come somewhat intuitively from background knowledge. Process of elimination also helps when you aren't sure of an answer.

Thanks I am taking this beast next week. And PS freaks me out.

SO the lesson is know your concepts. Know your equations. Were the passages similar to the TPR science workbook at all? Would you say more difficult than any AAMC?

Thanks I am taking this beast next week. And PS freaks me out.

SO the lesson is know your concepts. Know your equations. Were the passages similar to the TPR science workbook at all? Would you say more difficult than any AAMC?

I didn't use the TPR science workbook, so I couldn't say. I've heard good things about the science workbook, though. I used BR, and I found the BR passages to be excellent practice for the actual test. BR passages and questions are probably more in-depth than what's on the actual test, but they really help you to learn the content well.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm absolutely dying waiting for my test scores! Test in behavioral endocrinology tomorrow and I can barely study!!

Just out of curiosity, I know we're all feeling uncertain about our scores, some more so than others, but are any of you still studying in case you might have to retake?

I've switched gears and have begun focusing on my application and SOP, but I've been plagued by this constant fear that I might have to retake. I guess it wouldn't hurt to continue doing practice passages in my spare time (Hah! "spare time" what's that?!)

What are some of you 4/13er's thoughts?

Trying to stay confident that I did well, not studying at all. Even if I have to retake I think it's health to switch gears and focus on my application for a while. The MCAT was kind of driving me nuts and I was really close to burning out right before we took it. I actually think I burned out a little. The last two days before the test I didn't even look at content or tests. I figured I was ready. I felt fine with the test and I hope I did OK. Really don't wan't to take that again. I don't do things half way, I'm all or nothing so the MCAT kind of consumed my life for a while and I'd rather not repeat that.

I put everything into this test as well. I don't plan on taking it again even if i score less than my goal. Plus apps are coming up and I'd rather not apply late (learned the hard way the first time I applied).

Just out of curiosity, I know we're all feeling uncertain about our scores, some more so than others, but are any of you still studying in case you might have to retake?

I've switched gears and have begun focusing on my application and SOP, but I've been plagued by this constant fear that I might have to retake. I guess it wouldn't hurt to continue doing practice passages in my spare time (Hah! "spare time" what's that?!)

This test was a re-take for me (28R in May 2011). I ended up applying anyway, but wasn't successful.

I'd recommend not even thinking about a re-take or studying until you get your scores back. If you're considering MD, less than 28 probably wouldn't be worth your time or money. 28 and above (with competitive GPA): buy a ticket and play.

My pre-health advisor told me to wait at least one year before re-taking (I couldn't agree more with his advice). That will give you plenty of time to decompress, get yourself in a good mental space, and ask yourself honestly what went wrong. A big mistake that I think a lot of students make is re-taking the test too early.

But hey, all of this talk about re-taking will only breed more anxiety and stress. Stay confident! I'm sure you'll get a reasonable outcome.

At this point, it's better to worry about the application and any finals in the next couple of weeks. I wouldn't dream of restarting the routine of studying for a retake in the near future.

Members don't see this ad :)

Yup, took a week off and just continuing studying and picked up where I left off. Going to re-take it in July.

What are you guys doing to focus on your app? AMCAS do not open until May 1st, unless you are taking your pictures and getting your LOR in order?

These scores could not come soon enough. I have a general idea how I did on PS and VR. BS? Could be anything.

Yup, took a week off and just continuing studying and picked up where I left off. Going to re-take it in July.

What are you guys doing to focus on your app? AMCAS do not open until May 1st, unless you are taking your pictures and getting your LOR in order?

Personal statement, LOR, and work experience. You can fill this all out even though the app isn't open yet. Copy and paste!

Did anyone else not have many people taking the MCAT at their testing center? There were only three people taking the test at mine and it was one of the only centers in the state. This also seems to be one of the shortest threads for an MCAT date I've seen. I guess most got scared off by Friday the 13th and the 8 am only time slot. Could this low number of test takers equate to a quicker return of scores???

We had a lot of people at the downtown Chicago location, however, it did seem pretty scant for a testing center in the middle of a major metropolis.

Just over a week until we get our test scores! Get ready!

Second that! ... I was at the same location, and it did seem a-bit-less-than-busy for the only testing center of metropolitan city like Chicago!

Has anyone else had a hard time focusing on their work for the last few weeks?? So much riding on this test! :scared:

Just one more week though! Best of luck to everyone!!

I'm getting so nervous, I came out of this test feeling ok, but as the days go by, I keep thinking my score is going to be terrible. What's worse is that everyone keeps asking me about my score. I should have just kept quiet about having taken the MCAT.

Hah!

Couple of more days!

I'm getting so nervous, I came out of this test feeling ok, but as the days go by, I keep thinking my score is going to be terrible. What's worse is that everyone keeps asking me about my score. I should have just kept quiet about having taken the MCAT.

Hah!

Couple of more days!

lol ditto!

Hah!

Couple of more days!

lol ditto!

ROFL ... same here guys ... Double DITTO !!!!! ... ;)

Yeah and when people ask, "How did you do?"

Me: "I'm not sure...the scores aren't out yet."

Then they ask, "Well how do you feel you've done?"

Me: "Umm...okay, but it's hard to tell."

So I'm guessing the latest we'll get scores back is 5:00 PM EST on Tuesday? Is there any possibility of getting the scores back on Monday?

So I'm guessing the latest we'll get scores back is 5:00 PM EST on Tuesday? Is there any possibility of getting the scores back on Monday?
Yupp ... 5/15/12 is the day!!!

And nah ... I don't think they will release it on Monday. But I guess there is a chance that they may release it a bit earlier than 5:00 PM EST. ;)

Had my first MCAT nightmare the other night...scored a 19. I was so glad when i woke up and realized that it was just a dream. Hopefully that won't be a reality on 5/15 lol. Man, the last couple days of waiting seem to drag on forever.

Had my first MCAT nightmare the other night...scored a 19. I was so glad when i woke up and realized that it was just a dream. Hopefully that won't be a reality on 5/15 lol. Man, the last couple days of waiting seem to drag on forever.

I never thought I would, but I actually had a dream about this last night. Though, in my dream, I got a 26. I think the distribution was PS8 VR6 BS12.

I would be devastated if this came true.

I never thought I would, but I actually had a dream about this last night. Though, in my dream, I got a 26. I think the distribution was PS8 VR6 BS12.

I would be devastated if this came true.

I had a dream about the MCAT a few weeks ago. From the parts I remember I scored 13 on PS, 12 on BS, and only 8 on VR. Woke up after that nightmare of a VR score.

Let's do predictions, shall we? Mine:

PS: 8-11
VR: 10-12
BS: 7-10

My predictions is from 25-33. 29 is right in the middle. I hope it's higher than 29 though. :luck:

PS: 12-14
VR: 11-13
BS: 12-14

total: 35-41
expectation: 38

Retaker here. For my first test I studied hard for maybe 3 weeks and scored a 35. This time around I studied a lot harder and was shooting for a 38. Right after the test I felt like I did it, but we'll see on Tuesday!

PS: 12-14
VR: 11-13
BS: 12-14

total: 35-41
expectation: 38

Retaker here. For my first test I studied hard for maybe 3 weeks and scored a 35. This time around I studied a lot harder and was shooting for a 38. Right after the test I felt like I did it, but we'll see on Tuesday!

Retake with a 35, shooting for 38??? Can I ask why? Is there a specific scholarship you're going for? MD/Phd? or did your old scores just expire?

11-13 for both PS and BS

9-11 for VR

........This is what I'm hoping for but I honestly have no clue....

Woof. Good thing I work until 2am tonight. Won't have to wait long once I wake up tomorrow.

It either ends in one of two reactions on score-release day:

Reaction 1: "OH MY GOD, YES! YES!" *Cue waterworks, champagne, balloons, confetti, etc.*
Reaction 2: ".....No. No, this can't be. No, this is NOT my score. They have to have me mixed up with someone else." *Cue waterworks; morbid depression - prozac/lexapro; 3 entire chocolate cakes; either bourbon or whiskey; up to, but not limited to 5 days in bed; mourning; then whipping out the pMCAT books for round X+1*

I don't know there's like a 3 point range between being happy with my score and retaking. If I score in that range I most likely won't retake, but I won't be happy.

Ugh, I'm at the point where I just want to know. I don't even know what to expect anymore, it all seems like a blur haha.