The Official 07/06/2012 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

impact2d

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm usually on SDN mobile and have been meaning to open this thread for a while. I guess I'll introduce myself first.

I'm somewhere towards the traditional side of the non-trad. I'm only 4 years out of undergrad, and am only a year older than the average med school matriculant-but I am a career changer who is married and completing my final prereq's post bacc (all finished in May).

I am using a hybrid of a few different MCAT studying styles posted here-but at the core it's most similar to SN2ed and the standard TBR schedule.

I am using TBR for Chem, O.Chem, and Physics (2012 edition). I am using TPRH and EK for Bio.

I don't really stick to the 1 chapter a day set up of SN2ed, I customized each chapter based on what my strengths and weaknesses were and how long ago I learned the topics in undergrad.

I almost always spend 2 days on Bio (this is the subject with the most "Content Gaps" for me) Oftentimes I can double up Ochem with Physics. Physics usually goes very fast, and O.Chem I find relatively easy compared to class (It helps that I just finished O.Chem 1, and am currently in O.Chem 2)

I'm also working part time and still in Ochem 2 and Physics 2, so studying full time is not an option until after May 4th, and even then I still have work. That is why I started at 4 months instead of 3, to try to get ahead since I know I will lose days over time.

I don't really do the 1/3's method in physics or chem. The books come with tests split into 3 phases and I prefer to just use it that way. After reading the chapter I do the untimed phase, a week later the timed phase, and am saving the final phase for review. I am not doing much TBR Bio in the early chapters-too much skipping around and testing obscure information I haven't reviewed yet. I know it's important to develop critical thinking, but I want to make sure I have the foundations down first. I stick to the EK in class and the TPRH science workbook. I will probably spend some time on TBR after I'm done with content review.

Also I use Chad's Videos like crazy, I watch them on fast forward and they really help give a quick overview. I wish there was a similar solution for Bio.

Well that's the rundown. Hopefully there are some people on here taking the same day. I know I can definitely use the motivation at times. My goal is to score >or=30.
Good luck!:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

I'll certainly look around, but what do you recommend for assessing your strengths/weaknesses? I've always struggled with verbal, but as far as science content goes I'm pretty confident. The only way to consistently improve content mastery is through practice and analysis, right? As for verbal, I did almost the entire EK101 book, but I felt like the actual exam had somewhat lengthier passages and several ambiguous answer choices.

I plan to use the aamc self assessment package near the end after I'll have gone through a number of fl's (my test is 9/1). seems like everyone says those are helpful. I probably wouldn't use it right away if you don't have the basics down. What was your score breakdown? If your sciences were below 8's, I would just relearn everything. shouldn't be too confusing with ek (esp with the work/time issue)

Wow everyone's VR seems shot to hell.. I dont feel bad about getting a 10 now, so much for curving it. I was seriously expecting 11+ on that section. Sigh I wish I at least pulled a 10 in PS....

MCAT Prep Material: EK, TBR
AAMC average: 34.75 (8-11)
Kaplan/TBR/TPR Average: N/A
Prediction: 26 - 33
Actual: PS= 9, VR= 10, BS= 14, Overall: 33P

I felt good about the bio coming out, glad I wasnt wrong about that at least... I was hoping that I at least eked out a 10 in PS but I'll take a 9 I guess...

Members don't see this ad :)
8 PS, 5 VR and 9 BS, but I felt as though PS was my strongest section. I got a 10 on it last time. I think my content knowledge in the sciences is good, I just need to identify my weaknesses and attack. As for verbal, I was hitting 9-10 on the EK full lengths, I just don't know what to do there in all honesty..

AAMC averages: 8, 10, 11
Predicted: 8, 10, 12
Actual: 10, 7, 12, S - 29S

I made an account to discuss how my verbal section was a complete surprise. These scores just don't make sense. I've never done that well on PS on any practice, and I've never scored below a 9 on verbal.

I studied for about a month and a half @ about 6 hours/day using TBR exclusively for content review of all topics except for O-chem, where I used TPR.

I went from averaging a 12 on verbal (with AAMC, Ek, and TPRH) . to an 7. I have already signed up for a retake next week (which I'll need obviously) but I feel so hopeless. How can I raise my score that much in a week? And I don't feel like I can even trust my practice scores now. Now I am going to retake next week and be so nervous during verbal I am going to bomb it again.

I feel like doing a rescore but I know that has NEVER worked for anyone. The curve must have just sucked.

Last edited:
I understand. It's just that, if I were to retake it, I would need/want a lot of time to dedicate purely to the MCAT. I don't want to take it while I'm at college. Although some do it, I don't see how I can study productively for the MCAT while also take advanced courses toward my neuroscience degree. This means that I would have to delay my life another year and apply for 2014. It is important to me that I go to some medical school immediately following college. Oh well, that's my problem to tackle.

Again, I don't mean to brute and whine too much about my underperformance. I'm a little frustrated and about having to refigure out my life haha Seriously, congratulations to those of you whom reached/exceeded your target scores. It is an impressive accomplishment to say the least. The MCAT is no easy feat.

And to me, I would not be "settling" if I were to attend a DO school or Carribean. It's not my plan A, it lacks the prestige, it may create a potential hurdle to overcome, etc. But, I am confident that I will take full advantage of the education no matter where I go. It is more importantly to me at this juncture to go to medical school next year than retake the MCAT and see if I can get admitted to my "ideal" or better options. it happen

AAMC Average: 31
Predicted: 30-32
Goal: 33
Actual: 31R (10/10/11)
Studied a bit throughout the spring 2012 semester (mostly physics) but did hardcore studying from June 1st - July 4th.
Prep Material: Examkrackers for all subjects, supplemented by BR Biology and TPR Verbal Workbook.
I felt like I was so close to a 32, but looking at my exam average (which I just calculated), I guess my score was to be expected : / Time to move on!

On a side note, thought orgo was ridiculously hard! And then managed to score best in bio, WTF?!

AAMC Avg: around 24
Predicted: -
Actual: 28
months: 2.5 months-but I needed to have breaks for my other exams.

I am in the same exact boat as you (11-8-9). I went from averaging a 12 on verbal to an 8 (with AAMC, Ek, and TPRH) . I have already signed up for a retake next week (which I'll need obviously) but I feel so hopeless. How can I raise my score that much in a week? And I don't feel like I can even trust my practice scores now. Now I am going to retake next week and be so nervous during verbal I am going to bomb it again.

I feel like doing a rescore but I know that has NEVER worked for anyone. The curve must have just sucked.

I'm registered for the 9/1 test date. I'm not entirely sure how best to prepare for this test date either, especially if practice is telling me something completely different from my actual performance.

I'm willing to bet that they threw out that last passage on VR, and had to resort to basing their scores purely on the other 6 passages. This means that any incorrect questions on those first 6 passages had significantly more weight than they should have.

wow.........
This exam was my retake.
7/16/11: 8PS 10V 10BS 28N
7/6/12: 13PS 5V 11BS 29M

5V.....??? I don't know what happened.. what should I do..?

That verbal crushed you man. Great scores in the sciences. You have to retake...nobody will accept a 5 in verbal.

8 PS, 5 VR and 9 BS, but I felt as though PS was my strongest section. I got a 10 on it last time. I think my content knowledge in the sciences is good, I just need to identify my weaknesses and attack. As for verbal, I was hitting 9-10 on the EK full lengths, I just don't know what to do there in all honesty..
That's kind of what I'm doing, but only because I'm short on time. I'm basically patching weaknesses with fl's as i go, since I feel like I have most of the basics down. If I had more time, I feel that if I had time to go through all of tpr sci workbook and ek1001 my foundations would be even better. for verbal, I don't know. check out the vr threads and develop your own strategy. Then, practice with good material.

Hey guys - to those of you who are happy, congratulations on the great success.
To those of you who are disappointed, keep your head high and don't give up. You can do it! I am proof.
Previous Scores (PS/VR/BS):
5.21.11: 7/9/8 R
8.26.11: 8/9/8 R

Practice Score Average (All 8 AAMCs):

Predicted Score: 25-34

Actual (PS/VR/BS): 10/11/10 Q
Total 31Q

Thank you to everyone who helped me and good luck to the rest of you! I am here for any help you need at all! I have electronic books (EK, TBR, etc). So hit me up for advice, help, and general information.

Cheers!
R

MCAT Prep Material: EK, Kaplan
AAMC average: 31
Prediction: 25 - 35
Actual: PS= 9, VR= 8, BS= 11, Overall: 28O

This is lower than I did on ANY practice exam. Shocked, confused, unsure of what to do next. AMCAS has already been verified. Verbal was always my highest, I never scored below a 10 on any practice.

Members don't see this ad :)
39 aamc average, 37.5 average on 10&11, 36-42 range for all

All i remember was 7 minutes and not finished with passage 6 bio but had all discretes

Flipped to 7 and freaked out.

Didnt guess but definitely rushed. Never did that on a single practice test, guess i just had nerves. Went back thru all other bs questions and looked good, guessing i got a 12

Hedging on the easy verbal and a better than average curve to keep me in for a 36 but i give it 50/50 above or below

Didnt want to void because i didnt want to take again

VR 12
PS 13
WS S
BS 13

38S

Better than expected. Celebration tonight :)

It seems as though many people have underperformed on the verbal compared to where we thought it should be. I know that this may not be the appropriate forum for such a debate, but does anyone think AAMC may have botched this verbal? Everyone who I am close with states that they performed 3-4 points less than they anticipated on this section.

It seems as though many people have underperformed on the verbal compared to where we thought it should be. I know that this may not be the appropriate forum for such a debate, but does anyone think AAMC may have botched this verbal? Everyone who I am close with states that they performed 3-4 points less than they anticipated on this section.

Good luck with that one, buddy. It just is what it is I think. I'm not happy either but that final passage was tough. Such is life.

I would like to say yes, but I've seen this happen several times and always on the VR section... Ive never heard of anyone getting a successful rescore.

I think what rincon6 said above about them scrapping the last passage and only counting the first 6 is true (so mistakes would count a lot more). Even so, I usually do very well on verbal and thought the first 6 were very straight forward.

I am considering submitting a rescore, but, from lurking the older threads I'm finding that even when everyone does MUCH worse than their averages on verbal the rescores are still useless. Its unfair that we got shafted with a weird curve (pardon my language) but I think it is what it is. On another verbal section I might have done well but I was unlucky sign up for that test.

I'm assuming you applied this cycle. grades good and if good ecs, I would say you have good shot at your plan b. plan a though, while I wouldn't say it's impossible, the 5 in vr would probably screen you out. I'm not familiar with the application process, but if there's a chance you can retake for this cycle, I would do it. Since it's important to your parents to get into a school this cycle so you're not wasting your life at home, then go for plan b by all means. you can either satisfy them now or later. :D

I understand. It's just that, if I were to retake it, I would need/want a lot of time to dedicate purely to the MCAT. I don't want to take it while I'm at college. Although some do it, I don't see how I can study productively for the MCAT while also take advanced courses toward my neuroscience degree. This means that I would have to delay my life another year and apply for 2014. It is important to me that I go to some medical school immediately following college. Oh well, that's my problem to tackle.

Again, I don't mean to brute and whine too much about my underperformance. I'm a little frustrated and about having to refigure out my life haha Seriously, congratulations to those of you whom reached/exceeded your target scores. It is an impressive accomplishment to say the least. The MCAT is no easy feat.

And to me, I would not be "settling" if I were to attend a DO school or Carribean. It's not my plan A, it lacks the prestige, it may create a potential hurdle to overcome, etc. But, I am confident that I will take full advantage of the education no matter where I go. It is more importantly to me at this juncture to go to medical school next year than retake the MCAT and see if I can get admitted to my "ideal" or better options. it happen

Last edited:
AAMC Average: 35, range 34-38 (likely outlier)
Predicted: <28
Actual: 34T (14-08-12) PS/VR/BS
Months: 1.5 (started studying after school ended)

I am SO ecstatic. I posted a really long post here earlier about how I felt like I SEVERELY BOMBED the exam when I left.

I was incredibly lucky on verbal. I got to the last passage in verbal with 5.5 minutes left--as I had done in a few previous AAMC tests so I thought it wouldn't be a big deal. Did not understand a thing in that passage and panicked and just selected all C's for the last 5 questions. That's in addition to the many many questions I was really unsure about during the rest of the test. I was predicting like 3-5 on verbal. I know 8 isn't really a score worth bragging about but I'm really shocked.

I'm really proud of everyone on this forum for their hard work and dedication. You guys are great.

Last edited:
I think what rincon6 said above about them scrapping the last passage and only counting the first 6 is true (so mistakes would count a lot more). Even so, I usually do very well on verbal and thought the first 6 were very straight forward.

I am considering submitting a rescore, but, from lurking the older threads I'm finding that even when everyone does MUCH worse than their averages on verbal the rescores are still useless. Its unfair that we got shafted with a weird curve (pardon my language). I hate the whole experimental concept thing.

yeah, don't waste ur time and money on rescores...it's a computer based system...the curve must have been nasty...or the questions were just not that straight forward and required HUGE leaps of reasoning

Just stalking this thread, but it's scary how many people saw sharp drops in VR scores. Granted VR tends to be hit or miss, but this seems crazy even for VR.

Got killed by verbal....3

Retaking in January. I'm going to try to devote the upcoming few months to verbal (reading the Economist, NY Times, and The Republic).

Is it possible to get acceptance if I submit AACOMS after the January test? or should I forget about this cycle and move on?

It seems like the curve was harsh. People feelings after the 7/6 test and scores today differ greatly.

Retaking in January. I'm going to try to devote the upcoming few months to verbal (reading the Economist, NY Times, and The Republic).

Is it possible to get acceptance if I submit AACOMS after the January test? or should I forget about this cycle and move on?
im fukin scared right now...I was a 07/14 retaker...retook a 34, because i had an 8 on verbal....now, i feel depressed.

What is your overall score?

Thank goodness I did void. If those who normally get high scores have a drop, then I would have been much lower than 5. August 4th test was brutal though.

Good luck with that one, buddy. It just is what it is I think. I'm not happy either but that final passage was tough. Such is life.

I hate to be a whiner, and I know there are others who feel different, but here are some facts that I feel haven't been addressed. The VR section is the only quantitative, subjective section on the exam. Many could argue to the contrary, but the fact is that a significant amount of the questions contain ambiguous answer choices. The prompt asks one to choose "the best" answer choice, when in reality some of the answer choices are suitable. Perhaps I'm just bitter, but I am not sure how my ability to read a passage and discern "the best" answer choice from 2 very suitable answer choices correlates to my competency as a prospective physician. Some people have no problem with this conundrum, but it is the only thing hindering me from accomplishing my dreams. Rant over..

I got a 2, I win.

23 total. F U VR

I hate to be a whiner, and I know there are others who feel different, but here are some facts that I feel haven't been addressed. The VR section is the only quantitative, subjective section on the exam. Many could argue to the contrary, but the fact is that a significant amount of the questions contain ambiguous answer choices. The prompt asks one to choose "the best" answer choice, when in reality some of the answer choices are suitable. Perhaps I'm just bitter, but I am not sure how my ability to read a passage and discern "the best" answer choice from 2 very suitable answer choices correlates to my competency as a prospective physician. Some people have no problem with this conundrum, but it is the only thing hindering me from accomplishing my dreams. Rant over..
Agree

I don't understand why all the verbal scores are so low.

Were the passages hard to understand? Do you guys remember? I'd really like to know. :scared:

What is your overall score?

20O (8,3,9)

I mean it's clearly not a language problem. I scored 9 on BS for God's sake. It's just I can't think in English. I can't read between the lines. Beside blindly guessing on an entire passage, I think I accidentally left another one unanswered.

At the end, it's my fault. 5 weeks of light studying wasn't going to cut it, especially for a A-/B+ student.

AAMC Average 33
Predicted: 27 - 33
Actual: V = 9 , PH = 11, BS = 12 == 32 L

Do I need to take it again because of the L? I feel like I'm totally screwed because of the writing.

20O (8,3,9)

I mean it's clearly not a language problem. I scored 9 on BS for God's sake. It's just I can't think in English. I can't read between the lines. Beside blindly guessing on an entire passage, I think I accidentally left another one unanswered.

At the end, it's my fault. 5 weeks of light studying wasn't going to cut it, especially for a A-/B+ student.

Did you take an AAMC FLs? If so, what was your average?

Were the passages hard to understand? Do you guys remember? I'd really like to know. :scared:

There was one passage at the end that was really convoluted with about 5-6 questions I believe? The rest was IMO easier that AAMC FL's I've taken. I don't remember the difficulty of the questions but I feel like the passages were easy to understand except the last one. Hope that doesn't scare you...

To the people who did around their range on Verbal... how did you think about the last passage?

Did you take an AAMC FLs? If so, what was your average?

I took 3,4,5, and 7. I averaged 21.5 (4.25 on verbal).

I know my science scores aren't that great either, but if I were to score on the same magnitude in verbal, my score would be at least 5 points higher, enough to get me into DO schools.

I really don't know. I was cruising at 5.5 minutes per passage on my verbal section. Got to the last passage with 18 minutes left. It was really tough, but I had time to re-read it like 3 times. I walked out thinking I got a 13 or a 14 and ended up with a 10, which is equal to my lowest AAMC verbal score. I didn't think the questions were hard at all except for the last passage. Who knows. :(

When I login, it says "You have no scores yet." Has this happened to anyone? I took my MCAT on 7/6/12. :confused:

Last passage was extremely difficult to parse through given the time constraints. Otherwise, the remaining passages were straightforward and easy to understand. Now thinking back, I remember the questions on the easy passages being more complex in the logic required to get to an answer. What I mean to say is that the questions seemed to be looking more for implicit points being made in the passage than usual. Did anyone else feel this way?

I'm just taken aback because I felt like verbal would end up being a sure 9 or 10, if not higher.

I think I am going to do a rescore even though there was probably not an error. I needed a 30 to keep my conditional acceptance to my UG med school and I blew it on my best section....

Studied: 3 months concurrently with class and work.
AAMC avg: 34 (11 PS, 11 VR, 12 BS)
Predicted : 30 (9, 10, 11)
Actual: edit: 90th percentile ( all sub sections +/-1w)
Low end of my average range but I am still really satisfied with it. I knew I bombed the orgo and I didn't like the verbal.
Thank God it's over, and for the peace of mind I had throughout this processes. Congrats to everyone who conquered the beast.

Sent from my ADR6400L using SDN Mobile

Last edited:
Will you retake?

I think I wont retake it for this cycle. I will apply some DO, MD programs in my range and see what will happen. If it becomes disaster-I may retake in Sept or Oct. I'm thinking and trying to see alternatives since-I'm not sure if I can push my verbal score up (I've already tried hard and I still dont get what the hell I'm missing in VR!).

btw-this was my second :/

Check the booklet in aacomas-they contain school specific information; there are schools accepting January test and I think you should give a shot..