The official 2013 "We're couples matching....and we're scared as hell" thred

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Matched IM (me) and OB (wifey). Both US-IMG's.
The wait for Friday is killing me.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Glad to hear some success stories. We made it as well (Neuro and OB). Time is going so slow it feels like Friday is a year away....

Congrats to those who SOAP-ed.

Did any non-US IMGs (requiring visa) SOAP?

Fans of Fcbarcelona on SDN.!!!!
Now i know i'm not alone. Congratulations. Congratulations to FMdoc as well i have also been following the SOAP thread and i'm really glad things worked out for you .

thanks everyone!!!!! and congrats to us all!!! and best of luck to everyone still stuck in limbo!!!

So on Monday.... I matched. my boyfriend did not.

Is there anyway I messed him up? If some of you remember about my argument with him, in the end we did not link on NRMP. I matched successfully but he hasn't had any luck on the SOAP so far.

Programs knew we were together, but we didn't tell them we are not linking in the end. It shouldn't have mattered. Why was I matched and not him? He is a strong applicant, highers scores than me, and we were both routing for IM.

Do any of you think there was a glitch in the system? Or did programs rank me and not him despite when we told them we are couples matching? Should he call NRMP?

So on Monday.... I matched. my boyfriend did not.

Is there anyway I messed him up? If some of you remember about my argument with him, in the end we did not link on NRMP. I matched successfully but he hasn't had any luck on the SOAP so far.

Programs knew we were together, but we didn't tell them we are not linking in the end. It shouldn't have mattered. Why was I matched and not him? He is a strong applicant, highers scores than me, and we were both routing for IM.

Do any of you think there was a glitch in the system? Or did programs rank me and not him despite when we told them we are couples matching? Should he call NRMP?

Congratulations on your match!

You could not have messed him up, so don't feel guilty. If you didn't link, there's no way your rank list would have impacted his match. Sometimes it's hard to predict outcomes, and seemingly "better" applicants don't end up matching while "weaker" applicants do. You don't know what was in your letters, etc that could have made up for lower scores and made you a more appealing applicant.

Congratulations on your match!

You could not have messed him up, so don't feel guilty. If you didn't link, there's no way your rank list would have impacted his match. Sometimes it's hard to predict outcomes, and seemingly "better" applicants don't end up matching while "weaker" applicants do. You don't know what was in your letters, etc that could have made up for lower scores and made you a more appealing applicant.

Based on the way he treated her about the list he could be a real tool, which would have shown in the interviews :)

What's a bigger stressor for couples, Monday or Friday? I feel like on Monday you find out wether or not you will match together. If not, there is the decision of scramble into same city vs year off, vs train in different cities, etc. On the other hand, Friday will determine where you will be and the training you will undergo for the next 3-7 years. There is certainly anxiety to both days, but I am curious as to what couples found more stressful.

What's a bigger stressor for couples, Monday or Friday? I feel like on Monday you find out wether or not you will match together. If not, there is the decision of scramble into same city vs year off, vs train in different cities, etc. On the other hand, Friday will determine where you will be and the training you will undergo for the next 3-7 years. There is certainly anxiety to both days, but I am curious as to what couples found more stressful.

I find Friday more stressful. Couples essentially have the same match rate as individuals over the past few matches, we are just more likely to go further down our list. I'm just hoping that we get a program that both of us liked, rather than just one of us.

Yeah...our far appart combinations are near the end of the list. Really hoping we'll end up in the same city.

Matched IM (me) and OB (wifey). Both US-IMG's.
The wait for Friday is killing me.
Where did you end up matching?
My boyfriend and I are applying for couples match this year. Both US-IMG. Im applying OBGYN and hes applying IM.
Scores (me/him): Step 1 240/245, CK 240/251, CS: pass
Does anyone know if there is a thread for 2017 couples match?

Where did you end up matching?
My boyfriend and I are applying for couples match this year. Both US-IMG. Im applying OBGYN and hes applying IM.
Scores (me/him): Step 1 240/245, CK 240/251, CS: pass
Does anyone know if there is a thread for 2017 couples match?

Doesn't look like there is one. You could start it. I will be couples matching as well.

Could you at least wait until the current class of interns starts before freaking out about next year?

Not freaking out yet but will be closer to application/interview season. Doesn't hurt to have a thread for those who will be in the same position to talk and gain advice from people who have been in that same position before.

Not freaking out yet but will be closer to application/interview season. Doesn't hurt to have a thread for those who will be in the same position to talk and gain advice from people who have been in that same position before.

I agree. No harm. I'll start up a thread. I could use some advice from others. My boyfriend and I have been doing a lot of program research.