The Official 8/5/2010 MCAT Club

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AnthroMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody, I'm just getting this club started. This will be my second attempt at the MCAT. Anybody else retaking?

Members don't see this ad.

I am going to try finish up reviewing Bio and Orgo topics this weekend to make sure I know everything...Especially the high yield topics...

Then I am thinking about doing one last full length...By Mon or Tue.....When are you all taking a final full length???

Good luck to you all this last few days of hardcore studying before its our turn!

Finished AAMC 9 a few hours ago. Made a 30 (PS: 11, VR: 9, and BS: 10). This VR had 3 humanities passages which brought my score down. The humanities are by far my most feared passage type. Hopefully we only get 2 of those passages next Thursday.

does anyone have any tips on timeing in the Verbal Sections? Because I find my self having trouble with that in the AAMC practice full lengths. Even though I just got an 11 in VR on AAMC FL #7 (which is perfectly fine with me by all means), I feel like it was just luck and use of elimination methods for the last two passages. I only had 11minutes left when I was starting the second to last passage so I had to rush through both of them.

Thanks in advance for any help! :)

Keep practicing guys!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, I'm taking it thursday as well, theres only 5 days left and i'm beginning to lose my mind!!! I'll be taking AAMC #s 7, 8, 9, & 10 this week, anyone think thats a bad idea?

Only a few more days guys! I just took aamc 9 and got a 11PS, 8VR, 12BS...verbal is killing me!

Taking my last aamc tomorrow (#10)..ugh. I just want a 10 in VR..lol.

Hey guys, I'm taking it thursday as well, theres only 5 days left and i'm beginning to lose my mind!!! I'll be taking AAMC #s 7, 8, 9, & 10 this week, anyone think thats a bad idea?

not if you have the time, but you might want to take 1 less maybe? and try to enforce the content your getting wrong them

hows it looking for me you think?

taking 1 or 2 more FL's from AAMC before the exam

Kaplan 1 & 2 ... we'll just say LOW
AAMC#8: 12/11/12: 35!
AAMC#7: 11/11/12: 34!

my aim was a lower 30 but hey if I can pull off a mid to high fine with meee:D

hows it looking for me you think?

taking 1 or 2 more FL's from AAMC before the exam

Kaplan 1 & 2 ... we'll just say LOW
AAMC#8: 12/11/12: 35!
AAMC#7: 11/11/12: 34!

my aim was a lower 30 but hey if I can pull off a mid to high fine with meee:D

I would say you're looking pretty darn good! I'm jealous haha

I just finished AAMC #8 and got a 29...which has been about my average +/- 2 pts.

I'm so ready to get this bad boy over with!!!!!

I would say you're looking pretty darn good! I'm jealous haha

I just finished AAMC #8 and got a 29...which has been about my average +/- 2 pts.

I'm so ready to get this bad boy over with!!!!!

Yeah I was shocked because when i took the Kaplan one's I was getting scores that would be laughed at and then when I took the AAMC's I was jumping atleast 15 points lol, I guess I wasn't taking it seriously when I took the Kaplan ones early on.... Well I am starting part of AAMC#9 now, I'll let you guys know the results tomorrow when I finish it

GOOD LUCK GUYS

is anyone else completely out of it... i spent the whole day today watch seinfeld episodes... I've just lost it...

I'm definately feeling drained as well. I'm just trying to stay focused for a few more days. My AAMC scores have fluctuated between 27-31 so I'm shooting for a 30. I'm just praying that I get a test that fits my strengths and I rock it!!!

I'm definately feeling drained as well. I'm just trying to stay focused for a few more days. My AAMC scores have fluctuated between 27-31 so I'm shooting for a 30. I'm just praying that I get a test that fits my strengths and I rock it!!!

Amen to that! I would love a test that has only info that I know really well lol. And at the moment, I'm re-watching season 3 of The Office with my notes by my side....I'm just ready to get it over with.

Members don't see this ad :)
Amen to that! I would love a test that has only info that I know really well lol. And at the moment, I'm re-watching season 3 of The Office with my notes by my side....I'm just ready to get it over with.

I am not sure how many of Michael's "thats what she said jokes" are on the exam, but who know... hahah:rofl:

I am not sure how many of Michael's "thats what she said jokes" are on the exam, but who know... hahah:rofl:

Hahahaha well if there are any, at least I know I'll get a few questions right!

As long as it's not too hard....

Hahahaha well if there are any, at least I know I'll get a few questions right!

As long as it's not too hard....

Hahah! I loved the flash back episode with all of those jokes collected into about 10minutes! :D

On another note... I keep finding the higher the # AAMC practlice verbal reasoning section I take, the shorter I am on time...? I keep getting caught up in the 1st and 2nd passages, and stuck with less then 25minutes for three passage pairs. ANY QUICK HELP with this!? Pleeeeasee

EDIT: Update on my AAMC #9 so far, PS: 11, VR: 9 :(, doing the BS in a bit will update that

Last edited:
does anyone find verbal on 9 and 10 challenging then most?

verbal killed me on #10 :scared:, lowest i've gotten since i started studying...they've been declining since aamc 8. funny thing is i'm improving on princeton verbals. it's probably too late for improvement but can i get some suggestions?

does anyone find verbal on 9 and 10 challenging then most?

verbal killed me on #10 :scared:, lowest i've gotten since i started studying...they've been declining since aamc 8. funny thing is i'm improving on princeton verbals. it's probably too late for improvement but can i get some suggestions?

Although I was able to score a 9 on this section, I will agree that the VR on AAMC 9 was difficult. If you look at the difficulty breakdown for the VR on AAMC 9 you will see that there were only 2 Easy with 24 Moderate and 14 Hard. This alone should point to the difficulty of the VR on this particular test (considering one of the practice tests had 20 Easy questions, if I remember correctly). I can't comment on the difficulty of AAMC 10.

If I were you, I wouldn't worry about it too much. First off, it's too late in the game to start worrying about this. You'll probably wind up stressing yourself out even more. Second, how well you do on the MCAT is very dependent on how well "that particular test" reflects your strengths. Maybe AAMC 9 and 10 emphasized problem types that you don't do as well on.

Last edited:
So, I just finished my last practice test before the real thing Thursday. I made a 31 so I'm feeling pretty good right now. Here's how my scores have looked from the practice tests.

AAMC 3 - 31 (10,10,11)
AAMC 4 - 28 (10,9,9)
AAMC 5 - 27 (8,9,10)
AAMC 6 - 27 (9,8,10)
AAMC 9 - 30 (11,9,10)
AAMC 8 - 28 (10,9,9)
AAMC 7 - 31 (10,11,10)

I'm pretty happy with my scores. I wish I didn't have that drop in the middle, but it happens. So my AAMC average is about a 29. I'm shooting for at least a 30, so I'll be happy with a score that's +/- 1 point of my AAMC average.

I just wanted to stop by and wish everyone luck!
I'm a retake and I'm hoping this will be the last time I have to deal with this beast. :)

:luck::luck::luck::luck::luck::luck:

Although I was able to score a 9 on this section, I will agree that the VR on AAMC 9 was difficult. If you look at the difficulty breakdown for the VR on AAMC 9 you will see that there were only 2 Easy with 24 Moderate and 14 Hard. This alone should point to the difficulty of the VR on this particular test (considering one of the practice tests had 20 Easy questions, if I remember correctly). I can't comment on the difficulty of AAMC 10.

If I were you, I wouldn't worry about it too much. First off, it's too late in the game to start worrying about this. You'll probably wind up stressing yourself out even more. Second, how well you do on the MCAT is very dependent on how well "that particular test" reflects your strengths. Maybe AAMC 9 and 10 emphasized problem types that you don't do as well on.

Thanks :oops: I'll just have to hope for the best and pull through somehow.

good luck tomorrow everyone! :laugh:

I'm taking this for the 1st time tomorrow...been studying for about 2 and a half months now, so I just hope this will also be my last time taking it. My AAMCs have ranged from 32 (AAMC 10) to 36 (AAMC 9) with a superscore of 37 (14-10-13) and low combined score of 31 (12-7-12). I'm just hoping I can get at least a 35 w/ a least a 10 in each section, but verbal might definitely ruin it :( In terms of ideal test content, I just hope there's no wave motion and optics stuff for PS, lots of natural science and less humanities passages on VR, and a lot of orgo and genetics, and less physiology on BS. And I'd rather get harder questions w/ a more lenient curve than easier ones with a more stringent curve since a lot of the questions I've been missing seem to be somewhat careless and not from a fundamental lack of content understanding...Also noticed there aren't too many people on SDN w/ this test date but I dunno if that' supposed to be good or bad...Anyways, good luck to everyone!

Last edited:
well i hope our PS isn't super hard and have a lot of calculations like they said todays did :/

if one day is hard...does that mean the following day is easy?

maybe we get easy physics and hard bio?

Best of luck tomorrow!!! :luck:

Please remember that when you take the MCAT you sign an agreement, saying that you will not discuss test specifics. If you post MCAT specifics on SDN, the moderation staff will post hold your account for a week. It's not fun, so please don't make us do it. If you are unsure how specific you can/can't be, please refer to this thread.

:xf::luck::xf::luck:

ahh I know this might seem dumb, but I just realized my new drivers license says B for my middle initial but I dont see it on my AAMC registration.... are they doing to give me a hard time about this?

Just wanted to wish good luck to all of you! :luck: I took the MCAT today and it wasn't too bad. Just remember that if you find a section that seems difficult, don't sweat it and just stay focused b/c it most likely means that the curve will be higher.

I definitely should NOT be awake right now...but I cannot seem to settle down enough....taking it for the second time tomorrow. I got a 24P last time thanks to a 6 in VR! Looking to go low 30s this time...Good luck everyone!!!

ahh I know this might seem dumb, but I just realized my new drivers license says B for my middle initial but I dont see it on my AAMC registration.... are they doing to give me a hard time about this?

That's actually a big problem - the name has to match perfectly - that's what I read. Hope it goes okay... might want to take your passport or something.

Good luck everyone!!! 4 hrs left to go! Time to start lubing asses

btw.. this thread has fewer posts than other Official clubs I've seen - is that a good thing or bad thing??

well the registration went fine

but did any one else leave this exam going..........:eek:

i feel like this one was like no other practice out there.....

I definitely walked out feeling :eek:

The physical science section really started off hard I thought, I just ran out of time and had to rush through a good portion of it. The verbal and bio weren't so bad I thought.

I definitely walked out feeling :eek:

The physical science section really started off hard I thought, I just ran out of time and had to rush through a good portion of it. The verbal and bio weren't so bad I thought.
2nd that on the PHYS, but the verbal was so DRY, and BIO had that rough orgo

2nd that on the PHYS, but the verbal was so DRY, and BIO had that rough orgo

Ill give a full review later tonight or tomm...

But basically...HARD!

P: Had some very tricky equations manuerving...and very rough start...
V: I agree DRY...The first passage just threw my whole timing out...
B: I usually finish with alot of time left in BIO...I was down to my very last second...The orgo synthesis passage was a BEAST!!!

I had to make a full guess on many questions....:thumbdown:

hey this is my first post. i took the test today and here's my thoughts:

PS- started off really hard and got easier. the hard beginning kinda shook me up tho and could have affected my later performance in this section

VR- thought it was average but does anybody really ever know for this section haha

BS- thought it was somewhat easy. few of them were real stumpers and i could atleast make a good guess if i didnt kno the answer

just for a reference, on my practice tests ive been averaging: PS 12-13, VR 9-10, BS 11-12. im so happy its finally over! (unless i have to retake haha)

So just finished the exam... Here's my thoughts.

Physical sciences section was just outrageous. I made a 14 on my last diag in that section an average a 12-13 on it... I didn't get to look at all the questions. Answered b for about 4-5 to have everything filled out. It was most definitly tricky. I didn't like that.

Verbal was cool... Average... Had a scientific feel to it.

Essay.. I feel like I had seen the prompts before. /shrug easy.

Bio. was normal, had to guess
on a few very specific questions... Overall I'm confident about it.

Praying for a 30+ I feel that based on the reaction of most of the people I've talked to, I think I got a 10-11 on ps, 8-9 on verb , 10-11 on bio, p-q on essay.

Anyone else on ps??