The Official 8/5/2010 MCAT Club

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AnthroMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody, I'm just getting this club started. This will be my second attempt at the MCAT. Anybody else retaking?

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah I really don't see how they could have made a mistake. It's all done through computers and not even scantron. If the computer made a mistake they won't be able to see it.

Has anyone ever heard of a re-score doing any good? :confused:

you're right - but i dont understand how someone can get 17!! The way i see it - if there is a computer error - it's definitely going to be a big one. There probably isn't going to be a small computer error - or else we'll all be requesting rescores.

So if u get way off wat u expected, then a re-score might be a gud idea.

Members don't see this ad :)
Took my first MCAT last year in June and scored:
PS-6, VR-8, BS-6 - 20M

I took the kaplan online live course before taking the test on the fifth and scored:
PS-8, VR-10, BS-9 - 27Q

I am a little disappointed in my scores, I guess I will be applying to mostly DO schools and only a few MD.

Took my first MCAT last year in June and scored:
PS-6, VR-8, BS-6 - 20M

I took the kaplan online live course before taking the test on the fifth and scored:
PS-8, VR-10, BS-9 - 27Q

I am a little disappointed in my scores, I guess I will be applying to mostly DO schools and only a few MD.

If u ever plan on taking the mcat again, use the EK books - its the best. Kaplan is just a waste of money and sucks ass

I am still in shock over a 3 (down from an 8) in VR and am not looking forward to a rewrite on Saturday! (I was also getting 8's on my practice exams). I am in desperate need of advice to get this score higher given the few days that I have left before rewriting :cool:
Anyone???

I am still in shock over a 3 (down from an 8) in VR and am not looking forward to a rewrite on Saturday! (I was also getting 8's on my practice exams). I am in desperate need of advice to get this score higher given the few days that I have left before rewriting :cool:
Anyone???

Going from an 8 to a 3 is weird. Did u have a chance to answer all the questions on the actual mcat? If so, you have a comprehension problem. You just need to understand every sentence before moving on to the next. All i can say is practice makes perfect. Just keep practicing passages until the coming mcat - try to understand the passage BEFORE answering your questions - and just do your best - im sure youll get more than an 8 on the next one.

Anyone???

Is english your primary language? Did you do any practice for verbal leading up to the test? One of the biggest mistakes is not working on verbal 2-3 weeks before the test. When you did your other verbal passages, did you read for understanding or read for details. Did you work on AAMC passages/EK passages under timed conditions?

Examkrackers. For the verbal book, don't just take the tests and score them. You MUST review and check your answers, both the ones you got right and the especially the ones you got wrong. Only then is it possible, IMO, to get a solid understanding of what MCAT verbal sections will ask.
Anyone???

Going from an 8 to a 3 is weird. Did u have a chance to answer all the questions on the actual mcat? If so, you have a comprehension problem. You just need to understand every sentence before moving on to the next. All i can say is practice makes perfect. Just keep practicing passages until the coming mcat - try to understand the passage BEFORE answering your questions - and just do your best - im sure youll get more than an 8 on the next one.

Yeah I am in the same boat...but I haven't been studying too much for the exam this saturday....

But SamuelTelsa...You think it be cool if I push for this saturday...I def thiink I can do better...i do not know how the hell I got a low 20 or 5 in verbal....average about 31-32 on practice and all aamc

Thanks for the responses. English is my native langauge, and I did practice verbal as much as the rest. I took the PR course, and did 10 F/l tests (PR and AAMC), I always scored between 7-9 on verbal, maybe one worse than that. Always timed, most often as a F/L. It truly was something that I have never struggled with and when I prepared and wrote 2 years ago (on my own, with no formal prep course) I scored 8.
It really sucks b/c I struggled with the sciences and saw improvements in both those areas. I never dreamt that VR would be my downfall, I was so worried about PS!!
I have read the examcracker book, and it helped a bit, but I still don't feel that I have a solid understanding of the passages when I answer the questions. Maybe it has been luck that I have been getting 8's. I guess I need to figure out how to get a 10 or higher going into this exam on Saturday.

I don't see how it is possible to get a 17 when u scored more than a 30 on all the practice - thats just impossible. Did you take the aaamc ones in one sitting and timed? I would request a rescore.

yes all of mine were the higher aamc practices all timed, i think my scores for 7-10 where something like 32, 34, 35, 34

so iam just pretty confused... idk how the computer would mess up?!

Yeah I am in the same boat...but I haven't been studying too much for the exam this saturday....

But SamuelTelsa...You think it be cool if I push for this saturday...I def thiink I can do better...i do not know how the hell I got a low 20 or 5 in verbal....average about 31-32 on practice and all aamc

definitely dude - I think that's a great idea - but keep practicing everyday and dont study anything 24 hrs before the exam - the brain needs the rest!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Some stats on the 20 reported scores for 8/5 so far...

range: 17 to 37
mean: 30.4
standard deviation: 4.8

Looks like this sample, like SDN is general, scored a lot higher and with less variation in scores when compared to the general population (25.1 +/- 6.5 in 2009).

does anyone know how long it takes amcas to send the scores to med schools?

I got my first rejection email today from University of Washington - do u think its possible they got my mcat scores already?

I got my first rejection email today from University of Washington - do u think its possible they got my mcat scores already?

Whoa they're fast!

Instantaneous? Your score should already have appeared on your AMCAS, log in and see.

SamuelTesla your scores were pretty good. I'm sorry to hear you got a rejection. If you don't mind me asking do you know why they rejected you?

I know they hardly take out-of-state applicants do you think that's the reason? I'm applying for University of Washington as an out-of-state applicant myself.

SamuelTesla your scores were pretty good. I'm sorry to hear you got a rejection. If you don't mind me asking do you know why they rejected you?

I know they hardly take out-of-state applicants do you think that's the reason? I'm applying for University of Washington as an out-of-state applicant myself.

Here's the email dude "The Admissions Committee for the University of Washington School of Medicine has completed its preliminary review of your application. As an out-of-region candidate, you did not meet the criteria for further consideration to the regular medical school program. We thank you for your interest in our School of Medicine."

wtf is the criteria? does anyone know?

Maybe you're right. But strictly speaking from a financial viewpoint i dont see how Kaplan comes anywhere close to EK.

Lol.. but before that you said:
If u ever plan on taking the mcat again, use the EK books - its the best. Kaplan is just a waste of money and sucks ass

Your initial point was saying it sucks and is bad financially lol!

But i'm sure most of us wouldn't care to dish out 400 bucks if it helps us acheive a higher mcat score. From an overall viewpoint either can be good. :laugh:

Kaplan gives you a lot of materials so only consider investing if you are actually going to do the work.

Last edited:
Some stats on the 20 reported scores for 8/5 so far...

range: 17 to 37
mean: 30.4
standard deviation: 4.8

Looks like this sample, like SDN is general, scored a lot higher and with less variation in scores when compared to the general population (25.1 +/- 6.5 in 2009).

This data is not statistically reliable since it is a self-selecting sample (even among sdners, since most are lurkers), and people who do well are much more likely to go public with their scores than those who do not.

Lol.. but before that you said:

Your initial point was saying it sucks and is bad financially lol!

But i'm sure most of us wouldn't care to dish out 400 bucks if it helps us acheive a higher mcat score. From an overall viewpoint either can be good. :laugh:

?? thats wat i said again - kaplan sucks and is ridiculously expensive - unless u have a sugar daddy, take the EK!

FWIW, I don't think that any of the test preps are really worth the money. If you are willing to put in the time, then reviewing course notes/textbooks/internet sources followed by the AAMC FL exams is just as good imo. I think more than anything people improve their MCAT scores through Kaplan et al. because they're just spending so much time studying. If they spent the same amount of time studying on their own, they'd do just as well.

UT Missisauga's new med school, currently still under construction but my friend at UTM says its opening next year

Hmm... that is interesting. I hadn't heard about this (I'm not in Ontario of course). A quick internet search indicated to me that they expected to admit the first class of students in 2011, but they're not in the OMSAS so I guess that's been delayed? Or is UofT administering the admissions, and then part of the class will study at UTM?

Here's the email dude "The Admissions Committee for the University of Washington School of Medicine has completed its preliminary review of your application. As an out-of-region candidate, you did not meet the criteria for further consideration to the regular medical school program. We thank you for your interest in our School of Medicine."

wtf is the criteria? does anyone know?

SamuelTesla I just saw your post on the UW forum and I'm not buying the whole "No pre-set requirements" thing. Others in the forum have claimed that there were. Either way I'm not holding my breath because I have no physician shadowing yet and they have minimum requirements for that.

Hi guys this is my first time posting here i got 19 k ( ps 8 bs 8 vr 3) i am looking for advice to how can i improve my verbal. English is not my first language as you can tell from my verbal and written scores please advice

SamuelTesla I just saw your post on the UW forum and I'm not buying the whole "No pre-set requirements" thing. Others in the forum have claimed that there were. Either way I'm not holding my breath because I have no physician shadowing yet and they have minimum requirements for that.

im gonna call them up today and ask them about their "criteria" - something's fishy!!

But i really dont give a sht - im trying to go to ny lol

Hi guys this is my first time posting here i got 19 k ( ps 8 bs 8 vr 3) i am looking for advice to how can i improve my verbal. English is not my first language as you can tell from my verbal and written scores please advice

english isn't my first language either... but practice really makes perfect for the verbal. And sometimes its just pure luck - I seriously spent 4 min on the last passage - read the newspaper everyday dude - tht helps a lot

UT Missisauga's new med school, currently still under construction but my friend at UTM says its opening next year

I don't think it's a new medical school opening. I believe it's a new academy for U of T's medical school. There's supposed to be 54 new spots per year in the academy.

Hey guys, I also wrote on August 5th.
Actual: 35R 13 BS 12 PS 10 VR Essay:R

I am shocked, I didnt feel good writing and I suck at essays, not sure how I got an R!

Hey guys, I also wrote on August 5th.
Actual: 35R 13 BS 12 PS 10 VR Essay:R

I am shocked, I didnt feel good writing and I suck at essays, not sure how I got an R!

Good job ku9889 that is a great score :) I got a letter lower but I was still shocked. I thought I choked on the writing sample despite typically being a decent writer.

All around a shocking result for me.

Last edited:
Score: 36R (13 PS, 11 VR, 12, BS)

First time taker! Really pleased with the score. Definitely felt ready for the test and as if I'd prepared well. Enjoyed the Kaplan course and felt it helped me determine what to study and how much time to spend studying.

Interestingly, I posted a 24 on my first Kaplan FL. This, after reading about 900 pages of their content review. I was shocked and scared. Then I began focusing on strategy and getting used to the types of questions that appear on the MCAT/frequently hit topics. I wrote 12, 12, 12 on post its and stuck them up all over the house, along with equations and problems that gave me trouble. Because I wanted to enjoy August, I focused on completing 4 full lengths (two Kaplan and 2 AAMC, the ones SDNrs regarded as toughest) before the 8/5 exam, and spent the time really studying the mistakes I made and why I made them. My practice scores were 36, 36, 35, 35. Because I'm a teacher, I was able to put in about 40 hours a week studying my weak areas.

After this prep, I walked into test day feeling really confident. There were no surprises on the test, except that I was still worried about my essay writing ability (I felt Kaplan's scorers were a bit capricious with their number and letter choices lol).

Anyway, I'm pretty entirely excited about the result. Hope my study info is helpful.

Haha, I also thought I did horribly on my WS. I thought it went pretty much as bad as it could have yet I managed a Q.

Good job ku9889 that is a great score :) I got a letter lower but I was still shocked. I thought I choked on the writing sample despite typically being a decent writer.

All around a shocking result for me.
Congrats! I am not a writer at all, but I did practice a bunch, i was hoping for an O lol

Scored a 27N on my first write on 8/5/10
which was exactly my avg for all my AAMC practice tests
Wish I had scored a few points higher but glad I didn't score a few points lower as well.