The Official April MCAT 2015 Takers Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

emulsifier

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've seen some old threads (from 2012, or early 2014) on the MCAT2015.

I am wondering if we can bring resources together here, discussions for those who are planning on taking the new one in or after April.

Has anyone gotten their hands on the new prep material for 2015, and the chance to compare the different companies? I scoured the internet, obviously not much at the moment. But I know someone out there has started, just need to get this info out!

Edit:
Resources mentioned in this thread or elsewhere:

• Free mini-test: AAMC MCAT 2015 12 sample questions and answer (3 x 4 sections)
  • Next Step guide here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...e-mcat-2015-100-days-to-mcat-success.1101251/
  • TPR 2015 books: They seem to be the same as their previous books. Their bio book has a chapter on biochem.
  • Kaplan 2015 books: removed content that is not tested. Physics section is 400 pages (may be too much for the new MCAT). Very little practice. Whole book on biochem.
  • EK 9th edition books: reformatted the whole book. SDNer reviewer has said that even parts with same illustrations have whole new contents. Got rid of topics that won't be tested. May be too condensed though.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys,

I've seen some old threads (from 2012, or early 2014) on the MCAT2015.

I am wondering if we can bring resources together here, discussions for those who are planning on taking the new one in or after April.

Has anyone gotten their hands on the new prep material for 2015, and the chance to compare the different companies? I scoured the internet, obviously not much at the moment. But I know someone out there has started, just need to get this info out!
Hey there totally prepping for either April or May 2015 mcat! Currently studying the "kaplan way" which has been great but I have also been using the 2014 books for bio and physics

Reactions: 1 user
I'm taking it in may. I haven't been able to do much studying yet, but I do have Kaplan 2015 books, tpr 2013 books, tprh, aamc 2015 guide, tbr,ec books etc.

Most of what I've used are TPR books but I might start using kaplan. I do like tpr questions more. I tried comparing physcs chapters once and a lot was the same. No passages in Kaplans material but there's plenty of passages to use from other sources anyway

Members don't see this ad :)
There are passages in the Kaplan 2015 528 book!
Oh, I only have the content review books. What's in the 528 book? how many passages? Is the book worth the buy? I do have their lesson book with lots of passages but no answers.

How many months of studying do you guys foresee the new MCAT needing?
I think 3 months of ~6-8 hours a day for the old one.
So probably, 4 months of ~6-8 for the new one to account for the new content?

How many months of studying do you guys foresee the new MCAT needing?
I think 3 months of ~6-8 hours a day for the old one.
So probably, 4 months of ~6-8 for the new one to account for the new content?

so 672-896 hours?

dang. I'm worried about this test, I unfortunately will be taking 11 credits next semester, so I'll only have like 5 months of studying. I already tried studying these past few weeks but felt like I learned hardly anything

I here you! Yea I have five months to study for this new test and that's without all the pre reqs that I need :/. So glad I was able to take General Chem that had some orgo and bio Chen integrated in the course gave me a head start for the Biochem passages. The extra content is vast but just do as many questions as you can.

Oh, I only have the content review books. What's in the 528 book? how many passages? Is the book worth the buy? I do have their lesson book with lots of passages but no answers.

The 528 book was definitely worth the buy sections in all the topics on the new MCAT and practice passages as well. There's an online code as well to practice tests and questions free, so yea 528 is good

I'm going to be taking the new MCAT in April too, after taking the old one last May and not doing super well. Is anyone trying to modify SN2ed's schedule for the new test?

I'm taking it in may. I haven't been able to do much studying yet, but I do have Kaplan 2015 books, tpr 2013 books, tprh, aamc 2015 guide, tbr,ec books etc.

Most of what I've used are TPR books but I might start using kaplan. I do like tpr questions more. I tried comparing physcs chapters once and a lot was the same. No passages in Kaplans material but there's plenty of passages to use from other sources anyway

Do you mean the old TPRH hyperlearning workbook? Will it still be applicable for the new test though? Same thing for the TBR books?

Do you mean the old TPRH hyperlearning workbook? Will it still be applicable for the new test though? Same thing for the TBR books?
yes, the old hyperlearning books. Most of it will. My tutor took the new exam and says it's not that much different. Of course I will need extra books for biochem/sociology/psychology, and I will have to be careful about physics since it's supposedly going from 1/6th of the test to 1/16th, but bio should be very similar. Not entirely sure about orgo and chem. I'll still use old verbal material.

I'll also try to be getting as much 2015 passages as I can though and treating that as more important. I have TPR 3 2015 exams, Kaplan 3 2015 exams, AAMC 2015 exam, kaplan 2015 course workbook, and I'm trying to get 2015 TPR course workbooks

Also using 2015 kaplan books, and for each chapter in kaplan take a corresponding TPRH science passage (since I think almost all chapter outlines are the same in TPR and kaplan)

Yes I've heard that it's mostly unchanged. I've also heard that organic chem is not really changing, but just being allocated to 2 different sections, hence why it seems to be less of a focus on the new test. Same for chem or something. Are you taking a kaplan course or did you buy that kaplan 2015 course workbook?​

Yes I've heard that it's mostly unchanged. I've also heard that organic chem is not really changing, but just being allocated to 2 different sections, hence why it seems to be less of a focus on the new test. Same for chem or something. Are you taking a kaplan course or did you buy that kaplan 2015 course workbook?​

Where did you hear that the test is mostly unchanged, a premed advisor ?

Members don't see this ad :)
Where did you hear that the test is mostly unchanged, a premed advisor ?

I don't trust my premed adviser since her advice is usually wrong. And what I meant was, the only things that are changing are the addition of the sociology/psychology aspect, omission of some topics from chem/phys/orgo, and the addition of biochemistry. Otherwise, the test is largely unchanged (Bio and Verbal will still require the same techniques to deal with) with the exception of length/number of passages and # of questions.

I don't trust my premed adviser since her advice is usually wrong. And what I meant was, the only things that are changing are the addition of the sociology/psychology aspect, omission of some topics from chem/phys/orgo, and the addition of biochemistry. Otherwise, the test is largely unchanged (Bio and Verbal will still require the same techniques to deal with) with the exception of length/number of passages and # of questions.
lol my pre med advisor told me the 2015 books still are not out
i was enrolled in a kaplan course so that's how i got my kaplan course book

I'm hoping to take my MCAT this April too. I'll be taking a Kaplan course so hopefully it will be helpful. Has any seen the Khan academy video playlist for the 2015 MCAT? Are they helpful ?

I'm hoping to take my MCAT this April too. I'll be taking a Kaplan course so hopefully it will be helpful. Has any seen the Khan academy video playlist for the 2015 MCAT? Are they helpful ?

I'm not using the videos as my sole source, but they're definitely an awesome supplement for when my TBR books skip things or are too dense.

is the content from the earlier MCAT still applicable? its just they're adding more sections? or is it different? I havent seen the new practice exams yet

Just wondering, but what resources are you guys using for practice passages for the 2015 MCAT?

I just downloaded the 12 question quiz from the AAMC. It's definitely different from previous test materials, but I'm still too wary (and cheap haha) of buying any new prep materials...

I just downloaded the 12 question quiz from the AAMC. It's definitely different from previous test materials, but I'm still too wary (and cheap haha) of buying any new prep materials...
Where's the '12 question quiz'?

Thanks for the quiz! :)

I'm taking classes in January, which is why I'm a little concerned about the placement of this test... At least I'm taking Orgo II, some Biology, and Psych, so I'm at least learning relevant things- it still doesn't make studying for it sound more fun.

I can't believe they aren't going to release another full-length until the fall, though. Like, that's not helping, AAMC. How long has the thought of switching the test been around, anyway? You'd think they'd have more stuff ready, but that's okay.

We can do it, April testers! Let's kick some booty.

Reactions: 2 users
is the content from the earlier MCAT still applicable? its just they're adding more sections? or is it different? I havent seen the new practice exams yet

Buy the Official Guide to the MCAT from the AAMC. Seriously, this book answers all the questions about the mechanics of the new test. It also has about half-a-test's worth of practice passages in it.

This book absolutely, positively needs to be every single MCAT student's first purchase and read-through. It's dull as dirt, but it's important info.

Bought it... Dry as dirt. :/ one nice thing is that I got access to the online version of the practice questions along with the book. Thanks for the heads up though!

You have to buy the book through the AAMC website to get access to the online version of the questions (you have to pay an extra $5 though).

Alternatively you could buy just online access to the questions for $10, download the free PDF of the content outline (attached here), and skip buying the OG. I do think reading through all that boring stuff about the mechanics of the test is important, though, since it really does answer any reasonable question about the new test. Forewarned is forearmed.

Attachments

• MCAT 2015 Outline.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 310
Hello April MCAT takers,
Anyone planning on taking an MCAT prepcourse? If so, why are you choosing one prep company over the other?
I have spoken with a few representatives on the phone from different companies, and they sound just as unsure about what to expect from AAMC.
Please share what you know of different strengths and weaknesses of different prep courses for the 2015. I'll appreciate any insights,
Thanks in advance.

Alternatively you could buy just online access to the questions for $10, download the free PDF of the content outline (attached here), and skip buying the OG. I do think reading through all that boring stuff about the mechanics of the test is important, though, since it really does answer any reasonable question about the new test. Forewarned is forearmed.

The way they made the outline for the 2015 MCAT is much more confusing (to me at last) than the basic and simple outlines of the older MCAT. For example, their stress on the foundational concepts and concept categories are confusing for me. Why could they not just make a basic outline like they did previously?! Is it to provide a direction for why the topics they chose to include on the new MCAT are important?

In addition, they also mention that topics might be repeated in different content lists but they will be treated differently based on the content category they are under. For our sake, will it be sufficient to understand those topics but just be aware of how they can be approached from different angles?

On the other hand! At least there is no more focus on angular momentum in physics :)

Last edited:
I'm going to have to take the new test too…have to admit, I'm pretty terrified. Is anyone else worried that they will have to take a gap year due to a poor MCAT 2015 score? Or am I just overreacting? The rest of my app is solid, so I would hate to lose a year because of the new MCAT :nailbiting:

I'm going to have to take the new test too…have to admit, I'm pretty terrified. Is anyone else worried that they will have to take a gap year due to a poor MCAT 2015 score? Or am I just overreacting?

No you're not alone. I also am scared about that. :'(

BTW I read somewhere that both April and May test scores would be out before applications open up. Is that true? I feel like it's only the April..

No you're not alone. I also am scared about that. :'(

BTW I read somewhere that both April and May test scores would be out before applications open up. Is that true? I feel like it's only the April..

On the AAMC site, it says that the scores from both of the April tests will be released on June 16th and the May test will be released on June 30th. Here's a link to the different test dates and when scores are released: https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/mcat/mcat2015/administration/. I thought it was pretty helpful!

That's what confused me because they said the April exam for sure would be scored before amcas opens up so we are not at a disadvantage. So how come its June 16th!?

That's what confused me because they said the April exam for sure would be scored before amcas opens up so we are not at a disadvantage. So how come its June 16th!?

At a webinar I sat in, the AAMC rep said they would release "estimated percentile scores" shortly after the test was administered (2-4 weeks ish?) but that you wouldn't get your actual scaled score for two months for the April test.

At a webinar I sat in, the AAMC rep said they would release "estimated percentile scores" shortly after the test was administered (2-4 weeks ish?) but that you wouldn't get your actual scaled score for two months for the April test.

Can we use this percentile score to determine if we need to retake the test? Also, how likely is it that the scaled scores may differ drastically from the estimated percentile score (like what if AAMC changes things up after their analysis)?

Can we use this percentile score to determine if we need to retake the test? Also, how likely is it that the scaled scores may differ drastically from the estimated percentile score (like what if AAMC changes things up after their analysis)?

Mystery within mystery. I've no idea, but I'm betting you can use the "estimated" percentile score as a pretty accurate gauge for whether you need to re-test. As for whether they'll change, who know? I doubt the AAMC could even answer that question, not until the data actually comes in.

Would it be smart to use old TBR books for the PS sections as that material doesn't really change much? You can also say the same for the BS sections, but I'm probably going to buy the new BS with biochem books, as well as the new critical thinking and psych/social books. I'm probably going to buy practice books from EK or TPR as they release later in preparation for the april exam date. What do you guys think?

I'm still going with the old TBR books, after speaking with the TBR rep who said they're not making many changes to the books themselves. I'm probably not going to get any books for the CARS section, as it really seems like that portion of the test isn't changing much. For Biochem, I'm still kind of on the fence about what would be best. If anyone has the TPR books, what do you think of them?

I'm still going with the old TBR books, after speaking with the TBR rep who said they're not making many changes to the books themselves. I'm probably not going to get any books for the CARS section, as it really seems like that portion of the test isn't changing much. For Biochem, I'm still kind of on the fence about what would be best. If anyone has the TPR books, what do you think of them?
TPR would be a bad choice for biochem; they only have 1 chapter on it

Kaplan has a whole thick book on it, EK has a small book on it but also includes genetics/lab techniques, so more like ~3 chapters on it

TPR would be a bad choice for biochem; they only have 1 chapter on it

Kaplan has a whole thick book on it, EK has a small book on it but also includes genetics/lab techniques, so more like ~3 chapters on it

Have you gotten the EK CARS book? If so, what do you think of it?

I have TPR's bio book. Not in depth for a 25% biochem section. And I'm a biochem major, so I noticed that TPR doesn't talk about a lot of stuff we learn in the course which I presume you will have to be familiar with on a section that's heavy on biochem now

For Biochem, I'm still kind of on the fence about what would be best.

If you want a book that's literally just biochem, I think Kaplan is the only ones who have a separate biochem-only book. Next Step's book is Bio/Biochem and is more than half biochem (we invested really heavily there since it's the new stuff everyone is worried about).

Just be aware that the Kaplan book has no passages in it, and the Next Step content review book only has 1 passage at the end of each biochem chapter, and is focused more on lots and LOTS of short content review questions. The KTP book comes with online activation for an online syllabus, but so far the resources look kinda thin. The Next Step book comes with a free half-length diagnostic test.

EK CARS is very similar to their old Verbal book. Even most passages are the same, except they did 1 one new chapter and 3 new passages

Similar to the 101 passages book you mean? What a rip off definitely not buying that then. Did the research skills in that book help at all?