The Official April MCAT 2015 Takers Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

emulsifier

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've seen some old threads (from 2012, or early 2014) on the MCAT2015.

I am wondering if we can bring resources together here, discussions for those who are planning on taking the new one in or after April.

Has anyone gotten their hands on the new prep material for 2015, and the chance to compare the different companies? I scoured the internet, obviously not much at the moment. But I know someone out there has started, just need to get this info out!

Edit:
Resources mentioned in this thread or elsewhere:

• Free mini-test: AAMC MCAT 2015 12 sample questions and answer (3 x 4 sections)
  • Next Step guide here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...e-mcat-2015-100-days-to-mcat-success.1101251/
  • TPR 2015 books: They seem to be the same as their previous books. Their bio book has a chapter on biochem.
  • Kaplan 2015 books: removed content that is not tested. Physics section is 400 pages (may be too much for the new MCAT). Very little practice. Whole book on biochem.
  • EK 9th edition books: reformatted the whole book. SDNer reviewer has said that even parts with same illustrations have whole new contents. Got rid of topics that won't be tested. May be too condensed though.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Okay, so I have a question, but let me first say that I am not at all an expert when it comes to exactly how scores are determined and weighted for the MCAT. I mean, I know the overall point system and all those factors, but I don't have a lot of knowledge when it comes to how our final scores are determined in relation to others who have taken the test.

But anyway, I'm wondering if anyone can provide any insight into how the first few administrations of the 2015 MCAT will be scored. I guess what I'm thinking in my head is that for at least those individuals taking the exams in April or May, we all seem to be pretty unsure of exactly what to expect, and maybe this will cause us all not to score quite as well as we would have if we had the wealth of information and resources available for individuals who had taken the older MCAT. So with respect to our final scores, do you guys think there's any chance that if on average the AAMC happens to see that the median score that they anticipated from us actually turned out to be a bit lower than expected, our scores will be adjusted according to this? Or do you think everyone will still score around the same that they would have on the old exam, despite the lack of resources and nothing will really change much?

I'm not sure if this question makes much sense. It's probably really naive of me to ask it, but I just thought I'd give it a shot. I guess somewhere in my brain, I'm trying to think, "If we all fail this together, we won't actually be failing, right?" :p

Okay, so I have a question, but let me first say that I am not at all an expert when it comes to exactly how scores are determined and weighted for the MCAT. I mean, I know the overall point system and all those factors, but I don't have a lot of knowledge when it comes to how our final scores are determined in relation to others who have taken the test.

But anyway, I'm wondering if anyone can provide any insight into how the first few administrations of the 2015 MCAT will be scored. I guess what I'm thinking in my head is that for at least those individuals taking the exams in April or May, we all seem to be pretty unsure of exactly what to expect, and maybe this will cause us all not to score quite as well as we would have if we had the wealth of information and resources available for individuals who had taken the older MCAT. So with respect to our final scores, do you guys think there's any chance that if on average the AAMC happens to see that the median score that they anticipated from us actually turned out to be a bit lower than expected, our scores will be adjusted according to this? Or do you think everyone will still score around the same that they would have on the old exam, despite the lack of resources and nothing will really change much?

I'm not sure if this question makes much sense. It's probably really naive of me to ask it, but I just thought I'd give it a shot. I guess somewhere in my brain, I'm trying to think, "If we all fail this together, we won't actually be failing, right?" :p

With the new MCAT, its going to come down to percentile ranks to be able to compare the scores with the old MCAT. Its a standardized test that is graded based on the performance of everyone who sat for that exam, so the median score will always be the median score. If you took the ACS exams for gen or organic chem, its similar to that in terms of how its graded.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone from Canada. Examcrackers is sold out here.
Also buying book sets from amazon, it will take EK and Princeton 1-3 months before they ship it out!! Kaplan is the only one available immediately. Also, Kaplan is the only one with Kindle editions out.

My resources plan:
-stick to old resources for Bio, physics, chem, verbal. I think there is plenty of material from old TBR, Kaplan, EK, TPR.
-want to invest in several sociology books but only ordered Princeton's just yet. I want EK's sociology and Kaplan's just for coverage.
-need biochem book. And only kaplan has a separate one.

To those who have the 2015 princeton review books, are they majorly updated to reflect the new MCAT? Because their descriptions of their book is the EXACT same on amazon.

Is anyone willing to screenshot/take a pic of the table of contents for each section and post it here? (if that is legal)

I'm using the TBR books which I feel are helpful except I am worried like most people about the biochem section. Does anyone recommend anything for that section besides the khan academy videos? Anyone have opinions on the "Next Step" bio book or the TPR bio book?

To those who have the 2015 princeton review books, are they majorly updated to reflect the new MCAT? Because their descriptions of their book is the EXACT same on amazon.

Is anyone willing to screenshot/take a pic of the table of contents for each section and post it here? (if that is legal)
Multiple people on these forums have confirmed that the new 2015 TPR books are the same as their previous edition (except the bio book has an extra chapter on biochem I'm pretty sure).

Physics makes such a small part of the exam yet TPR has 400 pages on this course which clearly indicates the extent to which TPR updated their books.

A bit of both like most MCAT threads :D

I think a lot of us are in the same boat. After my MCAT try last May, I definitely was feeling that way. By now, I'm resigned to taking the new one, and actually a little happier because I won't have to worry about studying all the Physics!!:happy:

If you look at the new outlines, all of the same physics topics are there.

You can see the table of contents and a preview of content at Amazon.com. Just click in the book and "look inside."

Alternatively you could look through them at a bookstore. I see very few differences at all between the old and new versions.

For anyone with ek 9th edition and kaplan 2015, is kaplan a lot longer and more detailed? I kinda want a condensed version since I already have all the old books but kaplan seems to be cheaper and available right now and also comes with 3 tests so I'm just wondering.

If you look at the new outlines, all of the same physics topics are there.
not all of them. off the top of my head, momentum is gone. uniform circular motion gone. colloids gone. gauss' law gone. pulley's are gone. fission/fusion mass deficit gone.

Members don't see this ad :)
Multiple people on these forums have confirmed that the new 2015 TPR books are the same as their previous edition (except the bio book has an extra chapter on biochem I'm pretty sure).

Physics makes such a small part of the exam yet TPR has 400 pages on this course which clearly indicates the extent to which TPR updated their books.

Thanks for this!
Who can do this for EK 9th edition. None here in Canada available to look at.

You're right, I just went over the outlines and compared them and there is a lot of stuff missing. Do you think we can actually believe that that stuff will not be tested? Some of it shows up in the new outline as very general or broad. I'm really worried about this. I am a biology/psychology double major and I am taking the UMECOM Biochem course to help prepare for the new exam, but Im really worried.

I plan to take the test in April/May and will be applying first thing in June regardless of score. :-(

Reactions: 1 user
I can also confirm that TPR is near identical. I have every publishers old books and only bought Biochem and Psyc and chose Kaplan for those because as for much as I dislike Kaplan I thought they did a better job on those two books than anyone else. I know it sounds like over kill, and it probably is, but I am using the outlines and text books for my main review and the review books to supplement.

Just a heads up...I cannot find inclined planes in the AAMC outline but it is included in the Khan videos, which were made in collaboration with AAMC.

If you can go to the bookstore and actually sit down and look at them it might help, too. You can see some of the material (like a chapter or two) if you look on Amazon. Kaplan is the only one who has a separate Biochem book and even though Im not a Kaplan fan I do like the psych presentation in their book better than TPR.

I have another suggestion, too...Take the outline and use an older edition (less than $5) of "Psychology" by Peter Gray. The book is a great intro psych text and is VERY readable, the Kaplan review book has some stand alone questions but no passages and the questions are VERY basic. You'll get a good overview that way. There is also a great intro psych open course (free) at Yale with Paul Bloom.

I have another suggestion, too...Take the outline and use an older edition (less than $5) of "Psychology" by Peter Gray. The book is a great intro psych text and is VERY readable, the Kaplan review book has some stand alone questions but no passages and the questions are VERY basic. You'll get a good overview that way. There is also a great intro psych open course (free) at Yale with Paul Bloom.

I'm basically doing the same with psych myself. I'm finding that using a textbook for psychology (and sociology) is actually pretty straightforward. It also helps that the textbook isn't going to be leaving information out, like a review book might, and had good end of chapter questions for review.

You can see the table of contents and a preview of content at Amazon.com. Just click in the book and "look inside."

Alternatively you could look through them at a bookstore. I see very few differences at all between the old and new versions.

Ah thanks for this. You can do this for the princeton books on Amazon. And Kaplan's through kindle. But not Examkrackers.

Last edited:
Here is the Kaplan biochem review section content outline:
KaplanBiochem (1).jpg
KaplanBiochem (2).jpg

I don't know, is it new? I feel like it's just biochem content from the old mcat, moved into a new section. What do you think?

Attachments

• KaplanBiochem (3).jpg
    KaplanBiochem (3).jpg
    259.2 KB · Views: 70
  • KaplanBiochem (4).jpg
    KaplanBiochem (4).jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 59
Just an idea....

If AAMC is the ones administrating the exam and they are collaborating with Khan's academy, is it safe to say that the amount of detail that Khan's videos goes into and terminology presented is about how much the MCAT would assume us to know?

Here is what I would do:
OLD TPR Books for Physics Chem, Orgo, Bio

TBR for the passages.

Now that leaves psych/soc. I would use the Examkrackers book

I'm strong in biochem so I may just use my textbook.

How does this sound?

Hello all,

I'm thinking of using old material for physics, both chems and bio. I just took Biochem in the fall so I'm contemplating using my textbook and sub with Khan videos. Also I was a psych major so I'll probably get EK's book just for a refresher

Was studying with kaplan 7 topic books, got my EC books yesterday. They are alot better. will be using them to study for the exam in april. Also taking the EC course and will be taking various practice test in the last month. good luck to everybody

Was studying with kaplan 7 topic books, got my EC books yesterday. They are alot better. will be using them to study for the exam in april. Also taking the EC course and will be taking various practice test in the last month. good luck to everybody

Can you elaborate on why the EK books are better than the Kaplan set?

Just an idea....

If AAMC is the ones administrating the exam and they are collaborating with Khan's academy, is it safe to say that the amount of detail that Khan's videos goes into and terminology presented is about how much the MCAT would assume us to know?
It's a nice idea, but nobody knows.

Can you elaborate on why the EK books are better than the Kaplan set?

The Ek books are much more easier to read. Tell you what exactly you need to know. The Kaplan ones are much detailed and give unnneded info. Also the EK have questions that are passage based. Help you practice like real MCAT form.

So there is only one chance to take the mcat in 2015? Why does Princeton review's email say that you'll get one chance and nail it with the right prep? It's either that I am ignorant or their business strategy trying to get ppl's attn to take their class

So there is only one chance to take the mcat in 2015? Why does Princeton review's email say that you'll get one chance and nail it with the right prep? It's either that I am ignorant or their business strategy trying to get ppl's attn to take their class

No I'm pretty sure you can take it again!

Anyone also doing self-study and would like an partner to keep in touch via text/phone?

Ping me please!

has anyone taken the new practice 2015 mcat? if you did how similar are the questions to the old one thanks
I've only done the sample questions that were being advertised on twitter a while ago. It didn't seem that different from the previous questions, but it was only a few questions. Just bought the "new" version of the AAMC assessment questions, so we'll see if that's any good...

I'm planning on using TBR books, replacing maybe Bio and Orgo with TPR. I'll see which one I prefer when I get to it.

My biggest question is what are you guys planning on using for reviewing the new Biochem/Psych/Socio section? I'm leaning towards these two
www.randomhouse.com/princetonreview/catalog/display.pperl?isbn=9780804125048
http://www.randomhouse.com/princetonreview/catalog/display.pperl?isbn=9780804124737

With no reason other than TPR is a well trusted company and TBR isn't planning on shipping out their materials for those sections until late May, at best.

Can't believe there's only 64 days left! I'm still not sure how i should be going about the psych/soc section other thsn reading intro textbooks and taking notes. I may give in and buy the TPR manual just so I can have some practice passages to do.

I'm doing TPR's cram pack and so far it's worked pretty well. I wish TBR would update their books or come out with a biochem one.