The Official April MCAT 2015 Takers Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

emulsifier

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've seen some old threads (from 2012, or early 2014) on the MCAT2015.

I am wondering if we can bring resources together here, discussions for those who are planning on taking the new one in or after April.

Has anyone gotten their hands on the new prep material for 2015, and the chance to compare the different companies? I scoured the internet, obviously not much at the moment. But I know someone out there has started, just need to get this info out!

Edit:
Resources mentioned in this thread or elsewhere:

• Free mini-test: AAMC MCAT 2015 12 sample questions and answer (3 x 4 sections)
  • Next Step guide here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...e-mcat-2015-100-days-to-mcat-success.1101251/
  • TPR 2015 books: They seem to be the same as their previous books. Their bio book has a chapter on biochem.
  • Kaplan 2015 books: removed content that is not tested. Physics section is 400 pages (may be too much for the new MCAT). Very little practice. Whole book on biochem.
  • EK 9th edition books: reformatted the whole book. SDNer reviewer has said that even parts with same illustrations have whole new contents. Got rid of topics that won't be tested. May be too condensed though.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Taking it tomorrow. It's been about 80 days since I started studying. 2-3 hours per day, mostly used the Kaplan 7 book set. Haven't even taken the test yet and I'm counting down the days til three weeks will have passed. Good luck to all.

Reactions: 1 user
Took it today
Could not sleep night before. So ran on 5 hours of sleep haha

Chem: pretty straight forward. Some trick up questions

Verbal: a little tough. Don't know how I did honestly

Bio: best section by far. Basically my biochem class

Pcyh: it was weird. A lot of wtf questions and random terms I had not seen in my review books before.

Don't really know how to gauge how well I did. But hopefully 504+

Reactions: 3 users
How would you guys recommend prepping for it? What materials helped you the most today? How would you prep for the biological spin on the physics and chem stuff?

Thanks and good luck to the ones who took it and will take it tomorrow?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just finished the exam and I thought I would try to answer some questions.

1) Psych Soc is not like the AAMC released test.

Sorry guys. I scored 80% on the psych/soc section of the practice test and knew I did pretty well. The psych/soc section was horrible, I used Kaplan which everyone says is very detail oriented, but there were theories and people on the test I'd never even heard of. Absolutely brutal.

2) CARS is a pretty good representation. There was only one strengthen/weaken on the entire test. Thought it went well.

3) Chem/Phys was alright. There was almost no O Chem other than identifying functional groups. Little physics as well. Hard, but I think it went well.

Just finished the exam and I thought I would try to answer some questions.

1) Psych Soc is not like the AAMC released test.

Sorry guys. I scored 80% on the psych/soc section of the practice test and knew I did pretty well. The psych/soc section was horrible, I used Kaplan which everyone says is very detail oriented, but there were theories and people on the test I'd never even heard of. Absolutely brutal.

2) CARS is a pretty good representation. There was only one strengthen/weaken on the entire test. Thought it went well.

3) Chem/Phys was alright. There was almost no O Chem other than identifying functional groups. Little physics as well. Hard, but I think it went well.
Any advice on how to prep for psych? And what do u mean by people? Do they ask people's names or sth like that? That would be brutal.

holy LORD I'm SO HAPPY to be done! didn't get but maybe 1 hour of sleep last night so I was like maybe I shouldn't take it... but did bc I ain't a quitter!

The chem/phys was pretty easy nothing crazy you haven't seen.

Verbal, the usual. Interesting passages. My favorite!

Bio was so hard for me! A lot of concepts that I hadn't studied or seen on any of the prep tests/materials. Oh well, bio is never my strong suit.

Psyche had so many random terms I've never seen so that was a lot of guessing. It was easy... if you know the terms, but comes with the territory of being the first to take it. IMO bio and psyche were very different from what I've seen preparing.

Good luck everyone. It truly sucks. Bahaha 7.5 hour test shouldn't even be a thing..

Reactions: 4 users
Any advice on how to prep for psych? And what do u mean by people? Do they ask people's names or sth like that? That would be brutal.
My brain is so burned I honestly don't remember... Some theories that I know for a fact are not in the Kaplan books. If they come to me I'll let you know...

not really names. it was more terms, concepts. if you used EK book as I did... lol it def doesn't cover enough. it's hard to explain exactly, just really random questions from left field. I def thought it would be easier

Did anyone use TPR book/class for the psych/soc section & take the exam today? Any feedback would be much greatly appreciated!!!

Reactions: 2 users
Can ANYONE tell us if the test was closest to the ones from Kaplan, TPR, or other ones?

Did anyone use TPR book/class for the psych/soc section & take the exam today? Any feedback would be much greatly appreciated!!!

Me me me! lol I used TPR book for the exam, and overall I would say it did a pretty good job with information. I have to say when I was reviewing with the book I thought there was SOOO much information, almost too much to take in but it was worth it I think. There were maybe 3 questions/terms that were NOT in the princeton book, but luckily for me I somehow was blessed by the grace of god because one of the terms was something I just looked at last week that was in the Kaplan book. I supplemented with Khan videos, which was super helpful, and I also looked at the Kaplan book, whatever google books would allow me to see. But its different for every test so I really can't say with certainty.

Also for everyones info, make sure you can recognize the names of the psych people if JUST the last name is given. I got to a question and was like "who the hell is this person" it took me a good 60 seconds to realize that it was a last name of someone, and then the question was fairly simple. You may not think you'd forget some of these things, but when you're under stress believe me, you do. LOL

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Me me me! lol I used TPR book for the exam, and overall I would say it did a pretty good job with information. I have to say when I was reviewing with the book I thought there was SOOO much information, almost too much to take in but it was worth it I think. There were maybe 3 questions/terms that were NOT in the princeton book, but luckily for me I somehow was blessed by the grace of god because one of the terms was something I just looked at last week that was in the Kaplan book. I supplemented with Khan videos, which was super helpful, and I also looked at the Kaplan book, whatever google books would allow me to see. But its different for every test so I really can't say with certainty.

Also for everyones info, make sure you can recognize the names of the psych people if JUST the last name is given. I got to a question and was like "who the hell is this person" it took me a good 60 seconds to realize that it was a last name of someone, and then the question was fairly simple. You may not think you'd forget some of these things, but when you're under stress believe me, you do. LOL

For a person who has never taken a psych or sociology course what would you recommend using to study for those parts. TPR book and Khan videos are enough?

oh dang, interesting...

I keep asking this to ppl so sorry if you guys keep hearing it lol...

In general for the exam what passages and practice exams do you think helped? from most to least helpful? Besides 2015 AAMC...

like TBR/ Khan Academy/ TPRH/ EK 9th/ old AAMC and in terms of exams, which exams were most helpful and which least helpful

Last edited:
For a person who has never taken a psych or sociology course what would you recommend using to study for those parts. TPR book and Khan videos are enough?

Yeah I think so. I hadn't taken a psych class since high school soooo 5+ years, and I've never taken a sociology class. Basically we're in the same boat.

Princeton, Khan, and maybe use the Kaplan book. I was cheap and didn't want to buy the Kaplan book so I just used the google books part. They only let you see little sections of the book, but I found that it covered a few things the Princeton didn't

Yeah I think so. I hadn't taken a psych class since high school soooo 5+ years, and I've never taken a sociology class. Basically we're in the same boat.

Princeton, Khan, and maybe use the Kaplan book. I was cheap and didn't want to buy the Kaplan book so I just used the google books part. They only let you see little sections of the book, but I found that it covered a few things the Princeton didn't

So TPR doesn't cover certain parts that are in the AAMC outline. And the same can be said for the Kaplan book. Therefore, you kinda have to get both or do the google books things you recommended.

That sucks because I usually like following one book. More than 1 book makes me kinda confused/disorganized.

Was the Khan videos useful?

oh dang, interesting...

I keep asking this to ppl so sorry if you guys keep hearing it lol...

In general for the exam what passages and practice exams do you think helped? from most to least helpful? Besides 2015 AAMC...

like TBR/ Khan Academy/ TPRH/ EK 9th and in terms of exams, which exams were most helpful and which least helpful

I personally didn't do anything but the AAMC stuff. I would start to do a princeton/kaplan passage, and felt it was really confusing, and afterwards I would just feel stupid. The last thing you need to do is tear down the little bit of confidence you have, so I just didn't do anything except AAMC (old and new), though the old stuff doesn't even compare to the new information. I'm probably not the best person to ask since I didn't use any of the above you listed, maybe someone else has better advice...

So TPR doesn't cover certain parts that are in the AAMC outline. And the same can be said for the Kaplan book. Therefore, you kinda have to get both or do the google books things you recommended.

That sucks because I usually like following one book. More than 1 book makes me kinda confused/disorganized.

Was the Khan videos useful?

Yeah, I know. I don't like using more than 1 book either, but considering all the test prep companies were taking a shot in the dark with their books, chances are they all forget little parts.

Khan was great for me, I would only use it for the concepts that I needed extra help with, or if it was a topic I hadn't seen before like it wasn't in the review book or something!

I personally didn't do anything but the AAMC stuff. I would start to do a princeton/kaplan passage, and felt it was really confusing, and afterwards I would just feel stupid. The last thing you need to do is tear down the little bit of confidence you have, so I just didn't do anything except AAMC (old and new), though the old stuff doesn't even compare to the new information. I'm probably not the best person to ask since I didn't use any of the above you listed, maybe someone else has better advice...

Could you list out what AAMC stuff you used just so I know I have everything.

So the only passages you did were AAMC material? So basically you did all your content review from TPR books and just did the AAMC passages?

Yup just TPR and AAMC passages. I used all the old tests + sample test + official guide. I downloaded the old tests before they took them away. Though don't spend your time searching for them if you don't have them, they aren't even close to how the new test is laid out. That's all there is really!

Yup just TPR and AAMC passages. I used all the old tests + sample test + official guide. I downloaded the old tests before they took them away. Though don't spend your time searching for them if you don't have them, they aren't even close to how the new test is laid out. That's all there is really!

Thanks.

Wow though. So the only Pysch/Soc passages you did were from that one AAMC exam. What about biochem?

I'm glad you thought it was okay. I feel like if I only did the AAMC stuff I would feel unprepared, but once again as you said none of these companies know what the exam will be so it's best to just use the AAMC.

is it me or were there two different mcats being administered today? every time i walked by the other test takers, it looked like they were taking a different test than me

Just got home a little bit ago.

The sample test and guide to questions are both VERY representative of the actual exam. Good luck to everyone testing tomorrow!
How about the question packs (which are the old FL and assessment questions)?? Are they worth to do?

And DAMN!!! I was OCD about memorizing freaking names which I thought was NOT tested on? Guess my OCD was right UGH!!! Back to obsessing over details lol

Last edited:
while i was practicing, i feel like it all depends on your mood , how attentive you are, and how carefully you read the info thats given. if your a 4th year and have been studying or retaking it, you know the information thats gonna be on the test. if the question asks about something weird, 90% of the time it will be something thats given in the passage. knocking on wood but i guessed on man questions while i was practicing, some i got right and the explanation i was like WTF. depends on how you feel, and all that ish, cause I'm sure many of us will forget stuff during the test and its all about breathing AND KEEPING CALM

Any formulas tht were heavily needed?
Any optics on the test?
https://www.aamc.org/students/download/305340/data/2015examineeagreement.pdf
see:
I understand that prohibited acts include, but are not limited to: describing questions, passages, or graphics from the exam; identifying terms or concepts contained in exam questions; sharing answers to questions; referring others to information I saw on the exam; reconstructing a list of topics on the test; and discussing exam questions, answers, passages, graphics, or topics on Internet ”chat” rooms, message boards, forums, or through other means.

Reactions: 2 users
I have been using TPR and I thought their passages were straightforward and honestly moderately easy. Their discretes were a joke, but so were Kaplans so I don't really have any gauge on the difficulty. NS psych/socio S&P was also pretty manageable so far, but I would say it's a bit tougher in the sense that the passages are a lot longer. Just knowing the terms and how they can be applied can get you through most of the practice passages I've encountered in my prep. I saw EK's book but it was ridiculously dumbed down so I got the TPR one instead.

https://www.aamc.org/students/download/305340/data/2015examineeagreement.pdf
see:
I understand that prohibited acts include, but are not limited to: describing questions, passages, or graphics from the exam; identifying terms or concepts contained in exam questions; sharing answers to questions; referring others to information I saw on the exam; reconstructing a list of topics on the test; and discussing exam questions, answers, passages, graphics, or topics on Internet ”chat” rooms, message boards, forums, or through other means.

I guess that goes for everyone asking questions then. dingus

I guess that goes for everyone asking questions then. dingus
It's just for your information, friend. No point in asking such specific questions if testers aren't allowed to answer them. And dingus?.... really?

If the testers want to say something about the exam, they can. They are not bound by any legal contract (that I know of), and it's up to them whether they want to disclose information or not. Even if they are, how are they gonna find anon on the interwebz?

Bubby? Hope your MCAT skills are better than your spelling. Goodbye and good luck! *yawn* I think I'll take that nap now!:)
good luck to you too and sleep tight
Screen Shot 2015-04-17 at 9.00.16 PM.png

If the testers want to say something about the exam, they can. They are not bound by any legal contract (that I know of), and it's up to them whether they want to disclose information or not. Even if they are, how are they gonna find anon on the interwebz?

Because AAMC does browse SDN and will raise heck if you disclose forbidden info. You actually agree to abide by their terms when you register for the exam.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...r-false-score-availability-1-week-ban.598009/

You certainly did not read MCAT's terms of agreement.

Also, let's keep it professional while we're at it.

These brave souls who are in the first group to take this exam are doing the rest of us a great service by providing feedback on which review sources were most representative, how pacing went, how the endurance aspect played out, etc.

Reactions: 7 users
I will give a full rundown of how today's test went if someone can just answer my damn question above first!

Also, for score reports, will we get only individual section percentiles or will we also get a percentile score for the test as a whole?

Chances are, we might get a different test tomorrow from today's folks. So stop speculating, lol.

Let's all pay our respects to the brave peeps today and prepare for a good night's sleep. Overall, if you did well on the sample test, you're going to do fine on the actual test.

On a side note, I'm open to hearing some pervy acronyms for amino acids. "Wreck (RHK - basic groups) the (DE - acidic groups) c**t (C - cysteine) b***h (PUG - special groups) !"

I will give a full rundown of how today's test went if someone can just answer my damn question above first!
Pretty sure there is a slight mix in passages. Otherwise someone at test center X can just tell his buddy what's on the the exam that day, because he's in a different time zone.. That's just my 2cents. Idk if that helps.

Does anyone know if we will actually get a number score for our test or if well just get percentiles like the aamc sample test? If they're just percentiles, how will we get an overall percentile for the entire test if we don't get an actual score for each section?

Today's test:

PS: not too bad, physics wasnt as bad as I thought. I would know biochem in and out. PS is nothing like the old mcat. If you're expecting titration curves or stoichiometry or whatever else was on the old mcat, you'll be disappointed. Literally everything is in a biochemical context.

VR: Verbal is verbal. Not terribly hard but I still struggled a lot. Historically my worst section.

Bio: You better be good at data interpretation. This whole section felt like I was analyzing the New England Medical Journal. Gg.

Psych: Very difficult. I was killing this section on all of my practice tests yet there were still a ton of terms I had never heard in my life.

Prediction based on the old MCAT scale:
PS 12
VR 8
BS 12
SS 10

Hope this helped!

Does anyone know if we will actually get a number score for our test or if well just get percentiles like the aamc sample test? If they're just percentiles, how will we get an overall percentile for the entire test if we don't get an actual score for each section?

Today's test:

PS: not too bad, physics wasnt as bad as I thought. I would know biochem in and out. PS is nothing like the old mcat. If you're expecting titration curves or stoichiometry or whatever else was on the old mcat, you'll be disappointed. Literally everything is in a biochemical context.

VR: Verbal is verbal. Not terribly hard but I still struggled a lot. Historically my worst section.

Bio: You better be good at data interpretation. This whole section felt like I was analyzing the New England Medical Journal. Gg.

Psych: Very difficult. I was killing this section on all of my practice tests yet there were still a ton of terms I had never heard in my life.

Prediction based on the old MCAT scale:
PS 12
VR 8
BS 12
SS 10

Hope this helped!

How would you recommend studying for each section? What materials will help? The thing I'm worried about is how to study for chem/physics with that biochemical context. What materials did you use for biochem and pysch/soc

To answer your question, straight from the AAMC site
  • You will receive estimated preliminary percentile rank ranges (these are the percentile ranges in which your scores on the new exam are likely to fall) approximately three weeks after you test. The ranges will show how you compare to others who took the exam and help you make decisions about whether to retest and about the schools to which you will apply.
  • The preliminary percentile rank ranges will only be sent to you (not medical schools). You are welcome to share the ranges with your advisor.

Nice avatar btw. Hope he comes back strong.