****The Official ASDOH Class of 2016 Acceptance Thread****

Members don't see this ad :)
In in!!!!! :D:D :thumbup::thumbup:

I got an e-mail titled ASDOH Acceptance Offer at 6:23 a.m.!
also AADSAS Offered MADE status!!! :)

SEE YOU AT ASDOH! :)

Did anyone get a phone call from ASDOH?

Im in!! Found our from AADSAS this morning, then got an email, then a call from the Dean! I am so excited, this is my number one choice. We already have a FB page. Everyone join!! Add me trevor nichols and we can get excited together! Go ASDOH 2016!!

I didn't get a call... but acceptance e-mail and offer made status on AADSAS... Should I be getting a phone call soon?

Just received a call !!! :) yay!!! :)

I am IN!!!

Last edited:
so what is your personal deciding factor for choosing ASDOH over other schools?

Modular program ,outstanding faculty and facilities, AZ rocks, experience is huge, many times above other school, community outreach, externship, early boards and so much more.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in as well. Now it's decision time. Congrats to everyone. This school seemed amazing, I mean not having to do hardly any lab work, chalk one up for maximizing their students time.

Modular program ,outstanding faculty and facilities, AZ rocks, experience is huge, many times above other school, community outreach, externship, early boards and so much more.

I love the school and I Am 99% sure that I want to go there, but I am not %100 sold on the idea of rotation between clinics during D4! Would you please or any current students explain the advantage of this over for other schools' in-house training? How are you granted to received the best training from a Dentist in a clinic?

I love the school and I Am 99% sure that I want to go there, but I am not %100 sold on the idea of rotation between clinics during D4! Would you please or any current students explain the advantage of this over for other schools' in-house training? How are you granted to received the best training from a Dentist in a clinic?

I'm not a student, but I'll comment from my experience mingled with my opinion. I think leaving the clinic is a good way to spread your wings a little. You're removed from the academic setting and in a real-world functioning clinic. The rotation sites all have an adjunct faculty member on site. They come to ASDOH once a year to be calibrated with regards to the students who come to their clinics. So you're not totally on your own. But for the most part, you're treated as another dentist on the staff - not a student.

Keep in mind, you're not just thrown out there unprepared. The curriculum is designed to get the didactic work done early and then you start to get your hands dirty. It is my understanding, that a lot of the 3rd year is similar to what you'd be doing in your 4th year in other programs. So by the time the 4th year comes around, the rotations (which are only half of the year while the other half being in the campus clinic) are a good time to really get your speed and confidence up.

I've seen a few 4th-year students on rotation at places I've volunteered. They come in a for a few weeks and are on the schedule like the rest of the staff and have ample patients. Not just 1 or 2 for the day. They take a full load. The only difference I saw was that they had to inform the patient they are a student (and get something signed I believe) and a staff dentist would do a quick check on some procedures (before and after). Some students get some crazy amounts of extractions, restorations, etc form these rotations.

Another benefit I see, is that if you choose, you can expose yourself to different regions of the country and in different types of clinics. If you're even into public health, this gives you a feel for what it's like working with IHS on a remote reservation compared to a clinic in the middle of a city, for example. Some clinics are new and fancy, while others are run-down. I think it's good to be exposed to not only the different environments, but to different people. It makes you a little more culturally-aware. And that never hurts in this profession.

Rotations aren't just an ASDOH thing. Several programs have similar rotation programs, but ASDOH's seems a little more prominent and refined. The newer dental programs seem to be adopting this as well.

I was accepted on the 1st but just called and gave up my spot today. Hopefully someone gets it that really wants to go there! Good luck!

I've seen a few 4th-year students on rotation at places I've volunteered. They come in a for a few weeks and are on the schedule like the rest of the staff and have ample patients. Not just 1 or 2 for the day. They take a full load. The only difference I saw was that they had to inform the patient they are a student (and get something signed I believe) and a staff dentist would do a quick check on some procedures (before and after). Some students get some crazy amounts of extractions, restorations, etc form these rotations.

Agreed with everything in the post. I volunteer at one of the rotation sites as well and get to assist with ASDOH students. The clinical experience is invaluable in my opinion. Just last week, while i was volunteering, the D4 i was working with performed about 13 extractions (one case was about 8 mandibular extractions itself), 2 crown preps, and a class V restoration. And that was just in one day... Of course, if the student has questions or needs help with the treatment plan, the supervising dentists can always chip in.

Thank you very much. It is really great to get all this feedbacks.

Has anyone gotten accepted after Dec 1st (the initial acceptance pool)?

I was wondering how many offer they made on December 1st?

Can anyone give more details or comment on how their modular system differs from MWU's systemic approach?

I am a D1 at ASDOH and we had lunch with the dean the other day and he said there were 56 acceptances sent out and he has received about 18 deposits so far.

Can anyone give more details or comment on how their modular system differs from MWU's systemic approach?

From what i understand, having toured both, is that at ASDOH you take one class at a time and move one. Ex: Biochem -> Anatomy -> Physiology etc. You only start one after you finish another.

At MWU it is system based meaning, you take one system at a time and learn everything related to that system. Ex: Cardiac -> Lymphatic -> Muscular etc. However, you learn all the biochem, anatomy, pathology, etc having to do with that system, while learning it.

So the modular delivery style is the same, just the way the teach the curriculum sequence is different. Also, this is just my understanding.... anyone that knows more please feel free to correct me.

Ugh. That's a bummer. I am still trying to get caught up on forums after the winter break but does this in some way mean all of the interviews are done? Seems awful early! :( I have been holding out hope that I'd get an interview invite.

I am a D1 at ASDOH and we had lunch with the dean the other day and he said there were 56 acceptances sent out and he has received about 18 deposits so far.

Ugh. That's a bummer. I am still trying to get caught up on forums after the winter break but does this in some way mean all of the interviews are done? Seems awful early! :( I have been holding out hope that I'd get an interview invite.

No they interview well into March. I interviewed last year after President's Day.

For those of you who got accepted, how did you feel you did in the group problem/presentation part of the interview? Were you dominating or leading the group?

I haven't been accepted yet but my group didn't read the question very well so I had to "right the ship". The question asked for characteristics and the group started mentioning experiences they had done instead. I did it as calmly and politely as I could and I apologized at the end if I seemed overbearing.

For those of you who got accepted, how did you feel you did in the group problem/presentation part of the interview? Were you dominating or leading the group?

I had a great day and felt comfortable. I don't think it's about being dominating, it's about being a team player and collaborating with others. If the group is well off track, try to keep it on course, but show you can work well and be involved. It's a pretty easy, straight forward task. Good luck with your interview!

Does anyone know if ASDOH uses a cadaver lab? I think we saw one on the tour, but it was the DO students in there. Do the dental students dissect too?

Does anyone know if ASDOH uses a cadaver lab? I think we saw one on the tour, but it was the DO students in there. Do the dental students dissect too?

Yes, we toured the cadaver lab as well. I think I remember the student giving the tour say that the dental students are split up into groups and each group gets to dissect a cadaver from the shoulders up. She even put on gloves and opened up some of the containers showing us the cadavers.

I was pretty sure they used a prosected cadaver (dissected by professionals). I took the tour last February and skipped it this year due to a mess up with the interview schedule. Especially because they take anatomy in 3 or 4 weeks I'm pretty sure they don't dissect.

Thanks. Second question, how does the class get along (could anyone attending there answer?) I am a twenty-something and single, I was creeping the class Facebook page and everyone seemed like they were a bit older and married. I don't have anything against that, but I was just wondering if the class does lots together?

From what I've heard the class is usually split half and half unmarried/married.

From what I've heard the class is usually split half and half unmarried/married.

I mean I don't care (maybe I'm even jealous!), but I'd be leaving everything behind in New England, I'd want to be friends with the class. I feel like every school that happens though

On the tour, they showed us the lab as well, but our tour guide didn't specify if we would just have to do head and neck, or if we would do a full dissection. I think if you call, they would be more than happy to answer though! :)

BTW dantemac, I don't mean to be creepin' lol, but I noticed you just recently began posting on this page. Were you a Dec 1st offer, or have they already began their acceptance of the "top-tier" waitlisters? I called Azra and she said that around mid-January/end of January, they'll accept the second round. I'm not sure if Jan. 11th constitutes as mid January though lol. Oh the questions...:p

SOMA (DO) student here, and I'm pretty sure you guys use a cadaver from the shoulders up. Not sure if it's prosected professionally, or if there's a "student club" for it. I know there are an awful lot of cadavers that have been decapitated that we still use for thoracic/abdominal/lower limb anatomy, I can only guess that it's the Dent's that have the ol' cranium.

At SOMA we have prosected cadavers (we use the same lab), but there's a dissection club of SOMA students that do the prosections. We're not professionals at all, but we do what we can.

I wish I knew more dental students, but they've got us in different buildings most of the time, and we're all pretty busy.

Quick question for those in the know, there was a description of the modular curriculum vs. the systems approach at MWU above. The MWU curriculum sounds a lot like the SOMA clinical presentation curriculum (which I'm absolutely sold on), while the Modular approach at ASDOH sounds a lot more like a traditional medical school 2+2 systems approach. Anyone know if that's how it is? I thought they got a lot of the ideas for the curriculum at SOMA from ASDOH?

Best of luck to everyone here, ATSU-AZ is an awesome place! I'd tell you to look me up next year but I'll be off campus by then!

SLC

I'm a D2 at ASDOH and we dissected the head and neck during our head and neck anatomy module. The anatomy lab is open until 11 pm every night and the cadavers are used to study for lab practicals and exams.

Just wanted to congratulate all of you, and welcome you all to the ASDOH family! Feel free to contact me with questions about anything at all! I'm in my second year here, and I love it! I am still so happy about my decision to attend ASDOH.

Last edited:
I mean I don't care (maybe I'm even jealous!), but I'd be leaving everything behind in New England, I'd want to be friends with the class. I feel like every school that happens though
Haha, I felt the same way when I looked into the Facebook page, but the class is pretty split in terms of married and single people. ASDOH students love to have fun, so whenever there's an opportunity to kick back and relax, we definitely take advantage of those times. I'm not sure where you're from, but I grew up in LA and went to undergrad in the Bay Area, so it required some time to get used to suburban Mesa. However, there are lots of cool restaurants, nightlife about 20-30 minutes away, and hiking all over the East Valley. Every class gets along really well, I think the committee spends time to accept students that are likely to get along and help each other out.
user_online.gif

Any one know when D1's begin school - I'm trying to figure out when I need to move and look for a place to live - middle July? late July? anyone with an exact date? all i can find online is last year's schedule.
interviewed 12/8
accepted 12/16

I believe orientation is July 12/13, first day of class is July 16

I just turned down my spot. It was a very hard decission and I hope I won't regret it. Good luck to you all and whom ever that gets my spot.