*** The Official ASDOH Class of 2018 Interview/Acceptance Thread***

BigSmil3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Haven't found one of these for Arizona yet so...
Who else applied to ASDOH??

Members don't see this ad.

Applied 3rd Batch, Recieved email to complete supplemental this afternoon.

Applied second batch. Just submitted my supplemental yesterday. Does anyone know ASDOHs timeframe for interviews?

Members don't see this ad :)
Same, 3rd batch, just got the supplemental.

Pretty nervous though, this volunteering thing seems like a lot. I did more shadowing that service...

Applied second batch. Just submitted my supplemental yesterday. Does anyone know ASDOHs timeframe for interviews?

No, I sent my supplemental about a week ago. Today I just got an email back about having received it and starting to review it. When you log in again with the authentication number they give you in this email, it will say what is missing etc. and explains that you will be notified as soon as a decision has been made. It sounds fast(ish) but maybe that's just me being optimistic. haha.:)

EDIT: I just got an email a few minutes ago telling me that my application is complete and has been forwarded to the dental school for review. It says that it may take up to 8 weeks to hear an official decision back from them.

Last edited:
I also applied in the third batch and received a supplemental app yesterday.

No, I sent my supplemental about a week ago. Today I just got an email back about having received it and starting to review it. When you log in again with the authentication number they give you in this email, it will say what is missing etc. and explains that you will be notified as soon as a decision has been made. It sounds fast(ish) but maybe that's just me being optimistic. haha.:)

EDIT: I just got an email a few minutes ago telling me that my application is complete and has been forwarded to the dental school for review. It says that it may take up to 8 weeks to hear an official decision back from them.

How long after submitting your supplemental did you get your number?

I guess my official ASDOH thread got taken over...haha...that's ok. I also got an email stating my secondary has been received and that my application is complete and it could take up to 8 weeks for any decision to be made. Good luck everyone.

I guess my official ASDOH thread got taken over...haha...that's ok. I also got an email stating my secondary has been received and that my application is complete and it could take up to 8 weeks for any decision to be made. Good luck everyone.

Oooops sorry that was my mistake :scared: lol

Got the same info a few days ago and I was in the first batch. I spoke with them on the phone and they're always really nice. Seems like things are moving along.

So did anyone here report 800+ hours on their application? Prior to submitting my AADSAS I had not read that you need at least 800+ hours to be competitive.

So did anyone here report 800+ hours on their application? Prior to submitting my AADSAS I had not read that you need at least 800+ hours to be competitive.

Yea, that 800+ deal is news to me. I definitely am NOT close to 800. Maybe 200 TOPS, even if.

Debating if they only look at applicants with such high service hours, is it even worth applying and paying the secondary fee to be rejected?

Members don't see this ad :)
Everyone at my interview had 1,500+ hours of community service.

Average of 7 hours a week? or concentrated during the summer (that's how I did it).

I went ahead and submitted my supplemental application despite not being anywhere close to 800+. I know I have done more community service than I reported, but I did not have the specific dates and times recorded anywhere. It pained me to even attempt to estimate for fear of grossly misrepresenting the hours or dates I had spent in an activity.

I went ahead and submitted my supplemental application despite not being anywhere close to 800+. I know I have done more community service than I reported, but I did not have the specific dates and times recorded anywhere. It pained me to even attempt to estimate for fear of grossly misrepresenting the hours or dates I had spent in an activity.

If it's a significant amount of hours you left off, consider adding it. Did you already include an extra page with it? You can do that to add more info. As long as you can actually prove that you did it and can talk about it if asked in the interview if they ask or doubt you, just underestimate if you have to. But it's worth considering since more hours will be favorable. They wouldn't check, but if they called someone where you volunteered or even an event organizer, as long as they could really say that such an activity existed and you spent some time there, that's sufficient. You're not the only one who is estimating. Some people don't keep a log that organized. Admissions is nice. You could even tell them you know it's community-focused and you highlighted your interest and activities in the community, but you have just heard a number that intimidates you, so you'd like to add your hours and they are legit hours. I don't know where this recent 800 number came from, but I know a new number gets thrown around every so often. If you haven't included an extra page already, just email and tell them you'd like to. It's not too fishy of a move...if you've done the hours, you should feel comfortable listing them.

I apologize ahead of time for this lengthy response. It may be useful. Here's my take for those of you who may have applied here without knowing too much about the program and now you're realizing that due to low or no hours, you might not stand out from the pack...and it's a big pack for not too many seats. I think they get ~3,000 applications and interview around 400 for around 70 seats? I can check later, but that's what's coming to mind. They're big on community and public health and those who have showed that they are interested in such things are favorable. They choose to use hours as a gauge for this. Does lots of hours = someone who might go into public health? Not really. You either have the heart to do it or you don't. And if you do, it doesn't matter what school you go to. I suppose they arm you with the tools to succeed in that field or something. Whatever that means. All I know, is that current students are not all interested in pursuing that route...at least not right away. So, I've heard lots and lots of numbers being thrown around over the years...including from the mouth of admissions. And the number always changes. You hear of averages and such, but never a strict number of hours required. Maybe they've posted a number on their website I don't know about. But it's not a requirement like a GPA cutoff. Will your chances diminish with little to no hours? Of course.

As far as I know, your applications are screened for GPA in Missouri and then your app is sent to the actual school in AZ. I would count on them actually looking at your secondary and not just going off AADSAS. So, make it count. Expound upon those measly 175 characters in AADSAS. If you're interested in community work, or you can pretend to for the sake of the secondary and interview, make it known. I think as long as you have some meaningful hours (that's sort of up to you to determine), then you go with it. I think it's worth following through at this point. If you have zero hours and really have no idea what this school has to offer, then maybe you should consider backing out and saving a few bucks. For those who are on the fence about submitting the secondary now that this number is floating around, dig deep for info about the program to show you know it well. Take time on your other essay about why you do volunteer work. Don't rush it (but don't take weeks to do it either).

I don't have tons of time, but if anyone has questions, I'll answer what I can. I feel like I push ASDOH a lot on here and it's probably annoying by now. I just happen to be familiar with the program and not too many students form ASDOH grace these forums. I'm passed the point of applying, so I'm open to share info to help in your application. PM me if you have questions about what I just said or about the school or interview or whatever.

Finally, a little stat:

For the first seven classes (class of 2007 through class of 2013), the average number of community service hours ranged from 500 to 691 hours, with individual hours ranging from 100 to over 2,000. So its doable. Look at your app and see if you fit them at all...even with way less hours. There tends to be a lot of non-trads there too. If you're one of those and have other life experiences, that's probably a plus. During a Q&A a few years a go with students, one guy who did Broadway-style stuff for like a decade admitted he had zero hours. That doesn't match this stat, but it's what he said. You may think 2,000+ is ridiculous, but the idea is that you didn't just start volunteering in college for the sake of the application. It's stuff you've done over the years because you've got an ASDOH-like heart...yeah...but that's what they say they screen for: heart. Also, don't feel like you can't apply with high stats because they will feel like you will choose a more stat-heavy school. Another stat: for those same first seven classes, the range of means for undergraduate GPAs was 3.32 to 3.59, with the range for individual students being 2.62 to 4.0. By class, the range of means for science GPAs was 3.16 and 3.54, with the range for individual students being 2.5 to 4.0. The mean DAT scores for the classes ranged from 16.94 to 18.72, with the range for individuals being 13 to 25. That 13 is ugly, huh? But you get the picture.

Good luck, y'all! It's a solid program.

If it's a significant amount of hours you left off, consider adding it. Did you already include an extra page with it? You can do that to add more info. As long as you can actually prove that you did it and can talk about it if asked in the interview if they ask or doubt you, just underestimate if you have to. But it's worth considering since more hours will be favorable. They wouldn't check, but if they called someone where you volunteered or even an event organizer, as long as they could really say that such an activity existed and you spent some time there, that's sufficient. You're not the only one who is estimating. Some people don't keep a log that organized. Admissions is nice. You could even tell them you know it's community-focused and you highlighted your interest and activities in the community, but you have just heard a number that intimidates you, so you'd like to add your hours and they are legit hours. I don't know where this recent 800 number came from, but I know a new number gets thrown around every so often. If you haven't included an extra page already, just email and tell them you'd like to. It's not too fishy of a move...if you've done the hours, you should feel comfortable listing them.

I apologize ahead of time for this lengthy response. It may be useful. Here's my take for those of you who may have applied here without knowing too much about the program and now you're realizing that due to low or no hours, you might not stand out from the pack...and it's a big pack for not too many seats. I think they get ~3,000 applications and interview around 400 for around 70 seats? I can check later, but that's what's coming to mind. They're big on community and public health and those who have showed that they are interested in such things are favorable. They choose to use hours as a gauge for this. Does lots of hours = someone who might go into public health? Not really. You either have the heart to do it or you don't. And if you do, it doesn't matter what school you go to. I suppose they arm you with the tools to succeed in that field or something. Whatever that means. All I know, is that current students are not all interested in pursuing that route...at least not right away. So, I've heard lots and lots of numbers being thrown around over the years...including from the mouth of admissions. And the number always changes. You hear of averages and such, but never a strict number of hours required. Maybe they've posted a number on their website I don't know about. But it's not a requirement like a GPA cutoff. Will your chances diminish with little to no hours? Of course.

As far as I know, your applications are screened for GPA in Missouri and then your app is sent to the actual school in AZ. I would count on them actually looking at your secondary and not just going off AADSAS. So, make it count. Expound upon those measly 175 characters in AADSAS. If you're interested in community work, or you can pretend to for the sake of the secondary and interview, make it known. I think as long as you have some meaningful hours (that's sort of up to you to determine), then you go with it. I think it's worth following through at this point. If you have zero hours and really have no idea what this school has to offer, then maybe you should consider backing out and saving a few bucks. For those who are on the fence about submitting the secondary now that this number is floating around, dig deep for info about the program to show you know it well. Take time on your other essay about why you do volunteer work. Don't rush it (but don't take weeks to do it either).

I don't have tons of time, but if anyone has questions, I'll answer what I can. I feel like I push ASDOH a lot on here and it's probably annoying by now. I just happen to be familiar with the program and not too many students form ASDOH grace these forums. I'm passed the point of applying, so I'm open to share info to help in your application. PM me if you have questions about what I just said or about the school or interview or whatever.

Finally, a little stat:

For the first seven classes (class of 2007 through class of 2013), the average number of community service hours ranged from 500 to 691 hours, with individual hours ranging from 100 to over 2,000. So its doable. Look at your app and see if you fit them at all...even with way less hours. There tends to be a lot of non-trads there too. If you're one of those and have other life experiences, that's probably a plus. During a Q&A a few years a go with students, one guy who did Broadway-style stuff for like a decade admitted he had zero hours. That doesn't match this stat, but it's what he said. You may think 2,000+ is ridiculous, but the idea is that you didn't just start volunteering in college for the sake of the application. It's stuff you've done over the years because you've got an ASDOH-like heart...yeah...but that's what they say they screen for: heart. Also, don't feel like you can't apply with high stats because they will feel like you will choose a more stat-heavy school. Another stat: for those same first seven classes, the range of means for undergraduate GPAs was 3.32 to 3.59, with the range for individual students being 2.62 to 4.0. By class, the range of means for science GPAs was 3.16 and 3.54, with the range for individual students being 2.5 to 4.0. The mean DAT scores for the classes ranged from 16.94 to 18.72, with the range for individuals being 13 to 25. That 13 is ugly, huh? But you get the picture.

Wow, thank you so much for taking the time to type this all out!!
It helps a lot.

I have over 1,550 hours in one activity, and 100+ more for others

I'm planning to submit my secondary either today or tomorrow with 670 community service hours. On the schools website they say they consider community centered employment as well but the secondary section for volunteer/community service specifically says non compensated. Throughout undergrad I worked for a grant funded non profit mentoring program that links underrepresented minorites in the 5th-8th grade with Duke Medical and science graduate students in order to keep the kids interested I'm science and technology as they prepare for high school. I worked as the assistant to the Program Director and held many responsiblities, could I include these hours on the additional service email?

Finally, a little stat:

Hi Jeff,
Just to make sure that I am getting the picture right. Are you suggesting that even those with a low OGPA, SGPA, and DAT can still be accepted, assuming that there was something in their application that set them apart enough to make that happen? maybe a big enough heart towards community and public health? The only dark spots in my app are my SGPA (2.65) and DAT (16)....I know, these are two very important spots! Other than that, I believe I have solid app, including 520 hr of service (that includes 236 hr exclusively to the underserved), two years of dentistry in Argentina, graduated as dental tech in Peru, and a senior thesis-project that involves the Deaf Community and dentistry. Just for the record, I am not trying to show off. ASDOH's approach towards minority groups and underserved populations in general is very appealing to me; mainly because I am part of one of those groups and understand first-hand what it means to be underserved when it comes to dental care among these groups. Sorry, I did not mean to keep it this long. If you have any thoughts and/or feedback on this, please send a reply.

By the way, thanks for all the info and advice. It is much appreciated.

Jarry

Please explain in detail if you have ever been arrested, fined, charged (pending and/or dropped), or convicted for any reason.
Do i HAVE to talk about getting pulled over for running a red light last year? So confused..:scared:

Please explain in detail if you have ever been arrested, fined, charged (pending and/or dropped), or convicted for any reason.
Do i HAVE to talk about getting pulled over for running a red light last year? So confused..:scared:

No.

just got a rejection through snail mail

it was dated August 2,2013 but in the letter it said they won't be inviting me for an interview for the class of 2017. Uh, I applied this cycle though...

I had about 200 volunteer hrs

it was dated August 2,2013 but in the letter it said they won't be inviting me for an interview for the class of 2017. Uh, I applied this cycle though...

I'm sorry you didn't get an interview...I still haven't heard from them...what batch were you in and what are your stats?

Haven't heard from them yet either. Was in the first batch but my app wasn't complete until 7/18. At least they don't keep you waiting too long for a response.

I got my invite today...trying to plan my trip but I know nothing about the area can anyone who goes there/is familiar PM me please ?? thank you!

What are your stats and volunteer hours like, if you don't mind my asking?

i was in second batch i had a ton of volunteer hours.... i'm from new orleans so its kinda impossible to live there without being involved in some sort of post- katrina volunteerism
about 1500 from undergrad... since id say about 300 or so

Did everyone have a recommendation letter from a dentist? I have 4 letters uploaded in AADSAS and none of them are from a dentist. I wonder how strict they are.

Did everyone have a recommendation letter from a dentist? I have 4 letters uploaded in AADSAS and none of them are from a dentist. I wonder how strict they are.

Get on the phone and ask. I'm guessing they are strict. You can, after all, get away with just one science letter besides that. Very minimal requirement. The site says, "Applicants must provide a minimum of two (2) letters of recommendation. They must be from a Science Faculty or Committee Letter and a Dentist." That's their bold lettering, not mine. And given they're not as academically demanding of their applicants, they will likely want it.

I just scheduled my interview for Sept. 17, afternoon session!
Let me know when any of you scheduled on that date are willing to have dinner/relax/brainstorm the night before. I'll probably stay at the La Quinta Inn, since its very close to campus, has a free shuttle to and from campus (I heard/read), and has good places to eat within walking distance.

Get on the phone and ask. I'm guessing they are strict. You can, after all, get away with just one science letter besides that. Very minimal requirement. The site says, "Applicants must provide a minimum of two (2) letters of recommendation. They must be from a Science Faculty or Committee Letter and a Dentist." That's their bold lettering, not mine. And given they're not as academically demanding of their applicants, they will likely want it.
alekshura2 -- i had the same issue. i had 3 science professor and 1 non-science (my major advisor) thru AADSAS.
When i found out about ASDOH's requirements, I asked a dentist I had shadowed to write me one. I then had to email the school telling them which letter to disregard and to substitute the Dr's letter instead.
It was kinda a process but i guess they are strictly only reading 4 LOR per applicant

They are strict! I submitted a committee letter of rec that incorporated a letter from a dentist and they didn't even accept that. They emailed me and asked me to submit a second additional separate letter specifically from a dentist on their letter head.

Bigsmile do u have a interview and if so when!

I dont yet but im really waiting for one asap! I was in the first batch but that whole thing with the letter from the dentist delayed my app by 2 weeks or so.

Did anyone get anything in the mail from them? My wife sent me a picture of a letter from them. I am not home yet, but I am not sure whether to be excited or just throw my hands in the air and say, "Oh well, I tried." Haha. Then again, it could simply be information about their school.

Did anyone get anything in the mail from them? My wife sent me a picture of a letter from them. I am not home yet, but I am not sure whether to be excited or just throw my hands in the air and say, "Oh well, I tried." Haha. Then again, it could simply be information about their school.

Looking at the previous posts snail mail from ASDOH might not be the best, either way GOOD LUCK. What batch were you in?

snail mail = BAD...

For the secondary, did anyone send in additional community service/volunteer experience? I'm not sure if I should since most of my important experiences were listed on either my AADSAS app or supplemental app already. I don't want to seem completely repetitive...

For the secondary, did anyone send in additional community service/volunteer experience? I'm not sure if I should since most of my important experiences were listed on either my AADSAS app or supplemental app already. I don't want to seem completely repetitive...

I increased the # of hours for the on-going volunteering/work

Yeah, I have been sent off the island.

Best wishes to everyone still in it for ASDOH!

Hi El D., would you pm/share your status and the area you think that didn't impress them?
I'm waiting to hear something from them-
When one door closed, another one will open!

Finally Complete, they processed my supp app on July 24th but it has taken forever for them to process my evaluations. I haven't receieved the email saying my app is complete and being fowarded to the adcom but everything on the portal is listed as receieved so hopefully ill get the email tomorrow. Good luck everyone!

I got my application complete email on july 13th and it said I should hear back within 8 weeks. It has been over 8 weeks now and I still haven't heard anything...

:idea:

how many weeks in a month? in my advanced age i tend to lose these things...