* The Official August 5th - 2016 MCAT Thread *

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

t0ny

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone!

I myself am rewriting the MCAT for a 3rd time and am starting my schedule as of tomorrow (May 11th). I benefited from talking to others that were writing the exam on the same day as me in one of these posts the previous times, so might as well start one.

Feel free to share any thoughts, questions or concerns in here and help keep everyone motivated. We're all in the same boat!

Time to start the grind and crush it!

Members don't see this ad.

Well I bit the bullet and delayed to the 25th of august. I had to let go of a job opportunity, but I felt I had to make this sacrifice. I really hope its worth it. I just wasnt feeling confident.
How are you guys dealing with the stress that this exam will determine your future?

You have to do what you have to do to get this right. I applaud your determination. It sucks to let go of great opportunities but you have to make the most of this test to maximize your chances of getting in. I hope it all goes well and you are confident going into the test on the 25th. I wish you the best of luck!!

Dealing with the stress? Lets just say I had to go buy stool softeners this morning sooooo I guess I'm not dealing with it that well lol.

Thanks @neurodejent
Yeah I feel that I will be ready by the 25th. It's about 5 more weeks. Im dead set on not delaying it any further because then my semester is going to start and I need to focus on grades. I'm not applying this cycle anyway so I figured this would be the best option. I created a new study plan where I study in "blocks" of 1.5 hours and circulate through problem area topics while looking at the aamc outline and seeing what I don't feel comfortable with.

My plan is to continue taking full lengths every week to gauge my practice progress. Going to be using EK to supplement Kaplan for practice problems and also doing the Qbank for the topics while I rotate in blocks. Hopefully This method works and I will see improvement in my test scores.

Well, took the unscored today. Not sure what to think considering I took it exactly a year ago and my CP went down which is usually my best.
CP 75%
CARS 77%
BB 88%
PS 88%

Now time to get myself ready for the scored FL in a week!

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone have any idea how reliable the Next Step tests are? I had been taking Kaplin and was averaging around 500 and then took a NS and got a 509. Thoughts?

Does anyone have any idea how reliable the Next Step tests are? I had been taking Kaplin and was averaging around 500 and then took a NS and got a 509. Thoughts?
Ive heard kaplan deflates quite a bit--I got around 503 on the kaplan tests and took the scored test and got a 513. You should be pretty close to being ready.

Retaking the exam just because of CARS (my previous mcat score 127/121/127/127) hate this!!! is anyone else on the same boat as me? totally contemplating on retaking it now... just because of one section!

Retaking the exam just because of CARS (my previous mcat score 127/121/127/127) hate this!!! is anyone else on the same boat as me? totally contemplating on retaking it now... just because of one section!

We are in the same boat. I scored 127/121/126/125 last year so I'm retaking now. I'll be happy with 125 on CARS and a point higher on each of the others.

Took the unscored AAMC in May right before I started to study (probably not a good choice, got 60-70 in everything)

My NS have been 509, 511, 510, 513. My EK have been 67, 71, 73, 75 in that order, so continuous improvement.

Just took the Scored AAMC and got a 511. Hoping to get a 515+ on the real thing, I had a lot of left over time in the Scored AAMC which I didn't use but probably should to go over questions again and again.

One more week guys!!!!

Took the unscored AAMC in May right before I started to study (probably not a good choice, got 60-70 in everything)

My NS have been 509, 511, 510, 513. My EK have been 67, 71, 73, 75 in that order, so continuous improvement.

Just took the Scored AAMC and got a 511. Hoping to get a 515+ on the real thing, I had a lot of left over time in the Scored AAMC which I didn't use but probably should to go over questions again and again.

One more week guys!!!!
any idea how predictive the scored AAMC is? I got a 510 and don't know if its an actual repressentation or just trying to make me feel better.

Members don't see this ad :)
Welp my CARS score has seemed to take a dip since a few weeks ago, need to find a way to revive it by August 5th, jheeeeze

Just did my AAMC scored on Friday and got a 521... which really shocked me. I was scoring around 509-514 on NS, I didn't expect to get this much higher. I'm worried about CARS though, I don't know if I'm consistent enough to actually do that well on the actual MCAT.

Reactions: 1 users
Just did my AAMC scored on Friday and got a 521... which really shocked me. I was scoring around 509-514 on NS, I didn't expect to get this much higher. I'm worried about CARS though, I don't know if I'm consistent enough to actually do that well on the actual MCAT.

Got a 515 on mine :> we just need confidence going into the real deal, and our dreams won't be memes.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Going to read over my notebook with every test questions I've gotten wrong, and do 6 passages (1 hours worth) of Reading questions.

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!!

I was averaging 507/508 on the Next Step exams, ended up getting a 517 on the actual exam. I got a 512 on the AAMC scored 2 weeks before the actual exam. Just go into the test with confidence and you'll be fine.

Just finished it... Holy sociology is all I'll say. Please tell me others struggled on the psych/soc section as well.

The Psych/Soc section on my test today was absolutely whacked.

I wonder if the AAMC is trying to drive home a point ... :thinking: Then the discrete that I was thinking, "Hmmmm...." followed by a sigh, and a dart toss and a clicky on an answer choice. At that point, IDGAF... at all. 45 minutes to spare and the last question was that one... clicky and off to the beach I went.

Edited to add: no, then I had to click another 15M questions on the site, the people, the font, the room, and then I had to click, again, that I would not reveal any specifics.... so apparently, my chicken, cat and dog story is okay ;)

Removed by moderator

We definitely took the same exam haha. Here is my reaction:
C/P: Usually my best section but probably felt worst about this one. Most of it was probably anxiety from starting the exam. Decent bit of physics calculations. The ochem passage was annoying!! Decent bit of physics here but surprised to see no fluids. I felt like I guessed on a lot of questions because I wasn't decisive in my answers. But there are always a handful of easy gimme questions to help you get through.
CARS: Historically my worst section and I just wanted to break average. Definitely feel like I hit that. Thought the scored FL CARS was much harder. Most of the passages were interesting. Only 1 passage towards the end that was boring and i probably missed most of those.
B/BC: I remember after being about 20-25 questions in I felt like i was killing it and had only missed MAYBE 3 at that point. Then passages required more data analysis and fatigue set in and I probably lost some accuracy. I'd say on par with scored FL, maybe even a TAD easier.
P/S: I started with a lot of confidence and energy because I knew I needed to kill it to maximize my overall score. SOCI heavy it seemed. Know your stages. I'd say the best resource that helped prepare me was the KA notes that are floating around SDN. They are typed out notes of EACH Khan video and its like 100 pages or something. PRINT IT AND READ OVER THAT, atleast twice. AAMC seems to use similar examples as Khan does. I've noticed this not only from the AAMC prep material, but also from my actual exam.

For anyone still studying, I saw repeated concepts from the scored FL and the section banks so make sure you know that stuff!! You can learn all the material in the world but when you walk into that test center, it is all about confidence and controlling your nerves. Being able to focus is also huge because if you can't retain focus, all that hard work and those hours studying goes out the window. Congrats everyone on reaching a milestone!!

Last edited by a moderator:
that psych/soc was hard, that has been my strongest section but this one felt wierd...also c/p was brutal so many calculations. the other two were good but im scared they'll get curved harshly

Are there different tests on the same day? Mine sounds different. My psych section was ridiculous and had a ton of sociology. Many terms I'd never seen before. Also the questions where you try to equate a theory with a novel situation were such a stretch, you really need a serious working knowledge of these theories (not just what they generally are).

My c/p section had a lot of ochem, chem, and biochem and very little physics (don't think I needed a single physics equation). The only calculations I had really were just unit manipulation stuff. The few physics question I had however were quite difficult.

Me neither. It was the most challenging section for me. :/
How did you two find the cars?
Going into it I was most worried about CARS. Coming out of it I'm least worried about it lol. That doesn't mean I thought it was easy, not at all, but I'm not TOO worried about it. I found all the passages were at least comprehensible, but with some tough questions. I was very glad I didn't get any art analysis/philosophy passages.

I only lasted 3 days without talking about the exam which is 2 more days than I thought I would last. My C/P was physics heavy! They threw an orgo curveball in there too. P/S was brutal for me. I usually get done with 30 minutes to spare but I chose to take all my time for this section. I felt like I was failing miserably. Anyone feel the same way about P/S?

Reactions: 1 users
I only lasted 3 days without talking about the exam which is 2 more days than I thought I would last. My C/P was physics heavy! They threw an orgo curveball in there too. P/S was brutal for me. I usually get done with 30 minutes to spare but I chose to take all my time for this section. I felt like I was failing miserably. Anyone feel the same way about P/S?
My P/S was also brutal, but I think we had different exams as my C/P wasn't physics heavy.

Somewhat feel better. Also did anyone else not have cubicles? All the test takers were on a long table and we were separated by a cardboard piece shaped like the top of a trapezoid. I could easily glance at the other computer screens, that's how close we were to each other. I thought it was implied that we would have cubicles

Somewhat feel better. Also did anyone else not have cubicles? All the test takers were on a long table and we were separated by a cardboard piece shaped like the top of a trapezoid. I could easily glance at the other computer screens, that's how close we were to each other. I thought it was implied that we would have cubicles
That sounds like an awful testing center.

Based on everyone's description I think most of us had the same exam. CP was rough with the ochem passage and lots of tough physics calculations. Although my PS did have a lot of soci like everyone is describing, I thought it wasn't so bad. Felt best about this section.

I was averaging 507/508 on the Next Step exams, ended up getting a 517 on the actual exam. I got a 512 on the AAMC scored 2 weeks before the actual exam. Just go into the test with confidence and you'll be fine.

would you mind sharing your scores for each of the NS full lengths you took? I've done 1-3 (1 - 510, 2 - 511, 3 - 507), and I'm just a bit concerned about that 507 I scored today.

Also, congrats on the score!

My apologies for being late - I'll be commenting on the MCAT administered on August 5th - shortly after the exam I went on a vacation, just got back :D! I'll be writing it in the fashion that I think is MOST helpful for students that will be taking the exam soon. Please do not direct message me asking me details about the MCAT: That breaks the terms and agreement for student doctor as well as with the AAMC: If you do, I will immediately report your post/direct message to a mod.

This message is going to be long, covering some common sense things first that students need to know, I for one actually had to look them up while studying.

-The MCAT stands for Medical College Admissions Test.
-The exam changed drastically in January 2015: While the OLD MCAT was scored out of 45 points, it was possible to score between a 1 and 15 in each subsection. Section 1 was physics/chemistry, section 2 was verbal, section 3 was biology. The NEW MCAT is scored out of 528 points and has 4 sections.

The order of sections is:
1. Chemical and Physical Foundations of Biological Systems: 59 questions in 95 minutes.
Topics span general chemistry, physical chemistry, organic chemistry, and biochemistry. For a more detailed explanation, please see here. You'll be facing 10 passages and discrete questions to handle in this section.

2. Critical Analysis and Reasoning Skills
53 questions in 90 minutes. Basically the old verbal sections, just no natural science passages. The old MCAT would feature 1 passage on a random science (old MCAT practice exams have these. You'll be facing 9 passages and questions to handle in this section. See more information here.

3. Biological and Biochemical Foundations of Living Systems
Like section 1, it's 59 questions in 90 minutes. One of the biggest changes between the old and new MCAT is in this section with the incorporation of Biochemistry! You'll be facing 10 passages and discrete questions to handle in this section. Read all about it here.

4. Psychological, Social, and Biological Foundations of Behavior
The NEW "psy soc section" everyone seems to be talking about. This section was NEVER on the old MCAT and made its debut with the new exam, and its gotten quite a lot of talk. Check out more information here.

Okay, enough about the common sense stuff! Let's talk about test day.

I'd strongly suggest you arrive at the test center 1 full hour before testing time. Check in takes FOREVER. I showed up at 7am and it worked out nicely. Be sure to get lots of rest and pack snacks and your lunch for the day. You cannot leaving the testing building until the exam is over, so don't plan on going out for lunch. Plus, the lunch break is only 30 minutes or so.

My testing experience on August 5th:

Hardest part of my day, waking up. My alarm went off at 6am, and I managed to roll out of best. Seriously, I knew if I could manage that the MCAT would be a cinch. I personally like to use humor when I get scared/nervous, and I watched some of my all time favorite episodes of The Simpsons each night during the week of my exam, so I knew I'd have something to chuckle about when I inevitably saw a difficult question/topic I didn't study :p.

Got to the test center, parked, probably the second hardest part of my day (I'm not the best parker...in an empty lot I'll manage to hit something)

TEST!

Section 1: Chemical and Physical Foundations of Biological Systems

My first 3 passages were incredible. I finished them in less than 5 minutes and I felt great :D! Then...the true MCAT began. The passage style and question style seems to be the most interesting, or should I say, diverse in this section. Various test takes report seeing random topics that are low-yield or even not mentioned on the AAMC outline! Lucky for me, that didn't happen. I would STRONGLY suggest for this section you study the Section Bank AS WELL AS the old physics AND chemistry question packs released by the AAMC. The diversity of the MCAT has ranged to the point where test takers have reported "my test was all section bank" to "omg I didn't even study that topic, its so low yield, I heard its in the old question packs..." Study them. Learn them. Love them. DO NOT WORRY ABOUT YOUR PERCENTS OR SCORES ON THEM. All too often I've seen students post on SDN saying "I got a 69% on the phys/chem section bank, am I gonna do good on the real mcat?" Who the heck knows? Stop looking at the percent and score. The only score you should care about is your official MCAT score that you receive approximately a month after your exam. Don't look at the numbers, instead focus on learning that critical thinking. Passages 5 and 6 in the Phys/chem Section bank are absolutely beautiful. Not because they were anything like my MCAT--but because they combine topics from all different disciplines and the questions really make you think: learn to master those styles of passages and critical thinking and you'll be set for this section. As a final reminder: definitely do the question packs for chemistry, physics, and the section bank.

RATING: I'd say the section was overall more difficult than the scored and unscored AAMC FLs, but not quite as difficult as the section bank.

Section 2: CARS

Lots of reading. Learn to read fast. I have no idea how to gauge myself. At least the passages were interesting. I would suggest you do both verbal question packs the AAMC released as they're old MCAT passages and questions and incredible practice.

RATING: Uhm, idk, harder than both the scored/unscored? It wasn't crazy though, I just can't gauge the verbal passages well.

Section 3: Biological and Biochemical Foundations of Living Systems

This section was my best. I can only say two words: SECTION BANK. The scored and unscored AAMC FL's do not do justice to the actual MCAT exams currently being administered, but the section banks do. Be prepared to handle all random facts of biology. Lucky for me, as I studied I kept a MS Word document of random facts that are good to know, but its tailored for me so I decided against releasing it on SDN or something. Furthermore, this document contains a lot of google images and I don't want to violate a copyright accidentally. But some facts and structures were things I chronicled. This section really makes you think: be prepared to NOT REGURGITATE facts. Think, clearly analyze, draw comparisons, and extract the conclusion of the passage, because that's what every question and passage was about.

RATING: Pretty close to the section bank.

Section 4: Psychological, Social, and Biological Foundations of Behavior

This section worries me the most because while the physics/chem, verbal, and bio sections have changed, I personally consider it a makeover, just some new passages/topics (i.e. biochemistry), but this section was brand new. I studied very hard for this section and was still worried about random terminology popping up. Less than 5 that I didn't know terms showed up, and the test was a nice split between psychology and sociology. No crazy words or terms, and the passages were split between experimental and just descriptive. For this section I would suggest mastering the section bank, because if you can do that, you can do anything.

Rating: Tiny bit more difficult than the AAMC Scored. But not as brutal as the section bank.

Overall: The test wasn't terrible, but I'm worried I won't have improved as much as I'd need to have (i'm a retaker...took the old exam, applied, got interviews, and got rejected lol) so I need to show substantial improvement. My dream score would be a 514, but I'd be happy with a 508+.

Feel free to quote and ask questions or direct message, but again, as a final reminder, if you ask me something breaking the rules I'm going to report you. Its not fair that you're trying to gain an unfair advantage while others are honestly studying, and I won't stand for it. Sorry mates!

Not sure on the rules for double posting, but I see that their is a separate "August MCAT Thread," so I'm going to copy and paste this identical message over there. Good luck :).

Last edited: