**The Official Guide to Special Masters Programs**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
would a 3.4/3.5 sgpa (3.8+ all other) senior be better off seeking a second undergrad science major, a science Masters or SMP (with its inherent do-or-die risk)?
A 3.4/3.5 sgpa would do best by putting a boatload of time into the rest of his/her med school app. Kill the MCAT. Work hard on ECs and letters and essays.

You're within a single standard deviation of the med school GPA average for acceptees. That means you're average. So get ready to apply.

Best of luck to you.

Members don't see this ad.

Removed personal info, thanks for the advice.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Any advice is appreciated, thanks! :thumbup:
First priority: get those A's this year.
Second priority: get that 32+ MCAT early enough to apply to good SMPs (imho take the test in January 2012)

Come April, if you're on a waitlist, definitely apply to Tulane ACP. Fantastic program for getting into Tulane med school. Downsides: no financial aid (for the ACP), and Tulane med school is wicked expensive. It would be a shame for you to not go to a cheap TX med school.

Regardless, you should be in good shape to reapply to TX schools in May 2012. Improve everything in your app. Look at UT Dallas for more undergrad upper div science, if you want.

Best of luck to you.

Hey Guys,

I'm new to this forum and have a few questions about the SMP. Please excuse the dumb questions if i ask any.

My stats are:
have 2 more semesters left in college. Graduating Fall 2012
cGPA: 3.1
sGPA: 3.05
MCAT: 28
EC( basic undergrad research, philanthropy chair for frat ( raised $2000), working at optometry clinic right now)

I know my stats are extremely low and i blame myself solely for it.

What are my chances of getting into one?
Should I apply?
Should I retake my mcat?
Is Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center considered one?

Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks.

Last edited:
I have a 3.4 cGPA and sGPA with a 31Q MCAT. I have worked as a research technician for a year and have shadowing and clinical experience.
I applied to schools this year but have not received any interviews yet. I sent my secondaries somewhat late, but am starting to consider options if I don't get it to school this year.
Would a SMP be a good idea for me to pursue or are there other things I can do to improve my chances for the next cycle?

I have a 3.4 cGPA and sGPA with a 31Q MCAT. I have worked as a research technician for a year and have shadowing and clinical experience.
I applied to schools this year but have not received any interviews yet. I sent my secondaries somewhat late, but am starting to consider options if I don't get it to school this year.
Would a SMP be a good idea for me to pursue or are there other things I can do to improve my chances for the next cycle?

I agree with the advice given on your other thread- a 3.4 is not worth doing an SMP. Take some more classes and raise your GPA. Apply on June 1st. Voila.

Hey all, I'm currently a senior undergrad aspiring to be a doc some day, but my stats right now are not excellent. Would an SMP be a wise choice for me?

-Cumulative GPA is sitting at 3.41 (not updated from final grades this semester). It's been steadily moving upward since late sophomore year. I'm expecting that, at the end of this year, I'll be very close to 3.5.

-Science GPA is bad. I made some stupid choices freshman/early sophomore year, which was when I took the bulk of my science course-load (non-science major). I haven't gone through to calculate everything, but I'm guessing it's at 3.0.

-30O (11, 8, 11) on the MCAT.

-EC's are weak. I have 1.5 years of hospital volunteering + non-health volunteering and a similar amount of research...Nothing that stands out as amazing, though.

Thanks for the help!

Hey all, I'm currently a senior undergrad aspiring to be a doc some day, but my stats right now are not excellent. Would an SMP be a wise choice for me?

-Cumulative GPA is sitting at 3.41 (not updated from final grades this semester). It's been steadily moving upward since late sophomore year. I'm expecting that, at the end of this year, I'll be very close to 3.5.

-Science GPA is bad. I made some stupid choices freshman/early sophomore year, which was when I took the bulk of my science course-load (non-science major). I haven't gone through to calculate everything, but I'm guessing it's at 3.0.

I'm not an expert on the subject, but it seems to me like you'd be better off taking a lot of science classes to up your sGPA, studying for your MCAT, and working on your ECs. If you have a 3.4-3.5, that's a bit high for an SMP, in my opinion.

-EC's are weak. I have 1.5 years of hospital volunteering + non-health volunteering and a similar amount of research...Nothing that stands out as amazing, though.

Thanks for the help!

This is just my opinion, but your GPA seems a bit high for an SMP. I'd personally recommend studying to retake your MCAT, taking some science classes to up your sGPA, and working on making your ECs special. An SMP doesn't make up for an MCAT or ECs.

This is just my opinion, but your GPA seems a bit high for an SMP. I'd personally recommend studying to retake your MCAT, taking some science classes to up your sGPA, and working on making your ECs special. An SMP doesn't make up for an MCAT or ECs.

Thanks for the advice. I'm not entirely certain whether one semester is enough to dramatically boost my sGPA, though.

Are there non-SMP programs that could help me in that regard?

Edit: Looks like I have the same question as TheUltimate12 above.

Thanks for the advice. I'm not entirely certain whether one semester is enough to dramatically boost my sGPA, though.

Are there non-SMP programs that could help me in that regard?

Edit: Looks like I have the same question as TheUltimate12 above.

Why not just make your own post-bacc? Take a heavy science courseload for two semesters at your undergrad. ~36 hours (or however much you can handle) of a 4.0 (or close to it) is pretty good for your GPA and will have a similar benefit to an SMP- and it's much cheaper.

Yes to the SMP because it sounds like your sGPA is pretty bad. Your cGPA is ok but the poor science grades will hurt and an SMP would help prove that you can handle the science.

That being said, you should actually calculate your sGPA before u do anything - and then see what an entire year of sciences would do to your sGPA if you got i) 3.5 ii) 3.75 iii) 4.0

I have been looking all over for California SMPs. The AAMC website was not that helpful. Are there any Master's programs (i.e. not post-bac premed) that anyone knows of?

Stats: cGPA/sGPA/MCAT(ps-vr-bs)=3.4/3.25/29(10-9-10).
You are going to need to retake that MCAT if you want MD with that GPA or go DO now.

I think an SMP is a bit riskier for you because your sGPA isnt terrible. A year of upper level sciences is prob the best bet, but like i suggested for Sinestra - do the math for a year of undergrad science classes and see what happens

Oh and everyone should general take what brandnewday says with a pinch of salt - read some of the backstory with him/her and you'll see why

Members don't see this ad :)
You are going to need to retake that MCAT if you want MD with that GPA or go DO now.

I think an SMP is a bit riskier for you because your sGPA isnt terrible. A year of upper level sciences is prob the best bet, but like i suggested for Sinestra - do the math for a year of undergrad science classes and see what happens

Why is an SMP considered to be riskier than a year of upper level science classes? I have taken quite a few upper level science classes already as I majored in Biochemistry. I guess there is a difference between an SMP and a MS. What are your thoughts about a MS?

Why is an SMP considered to be riskier than a year of upper level science classes? I have taken quite a few upper level science classes already as I majored in Biochemistry. I guess there is a difference between an SMP and a MS. What are your thoughts about a MS?

An SMP is riskier because, if you don't do well, you essentially eliminate your career as a doctor. A MS is fine if you're interested, but it won't add much to your app.

Check out the one year master of science program at the Keck School of Medicine of USC called the Master of Science in Global Medicine Program: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=861168 Our alumni have been admitted to some of the top medical, dental, and pharmacy schools in the country. Contact the office at (323) 442-3141 with questions. Visit us at www.usc.edu/msgm and www.facebook.com/globalmedicine
I think you should put that you are an official school rep in your signature to make people aware of your exact role in this process. It seem only ethical and appropriate

Why is an SMP considered to be riskier than a year of upper level science classes?
If your GPA could reasonably make you competitive for an MD school, but you go do an SMP, and do poorly, you add red flags to your app where there weren't any before. You fail the audition.

It's not true that doing poorly in an SMP means you can kiss MD goodbye. People do multiple SMPs. People with trust funds and all the time in the world.

If you do your homework (here and with live people), and if you are ready for the rigors of med school when you start an SMP, then you're ready to pass the audition and get what you pay for.
I have taken quite a few upper level science classes already as I majored in Biochemistry.
If you're not at a school that does heavy research, you'll have a harder time finding upper div science like micro, immuno, genetics, physio, neuro etc. Those are good classes to take on a GPA improvement plan. If you don't have a major biomed research university nearby, then you can move. Or you can do an SMP. Or you can apply straight to med school; if you don't get in (and you're over 20), then you can consider an SMP after you've "proven" you need it..
I guess there is a difference between an SMP and a MS.
Indeed there is a difference. The sole purpose for an SMP is to get people into med school despite undergrad GPA deficits. You have to make a bet when you do an SMP, that you are do or die for US MD, and you're going to invest $50k to $75k, and if you do well and you don't piss off anybody important, then you can get into med school...and if you don't do well then folks are going to laugh at the cute little useless terminal masters degree on your resume.
What are your thoughts about a MS?
Do a regular masters if you are capable in a subject and you are sufficiently passionate about it to study it further in depth. That experience will have no countereffect whatsoever on a low undergrad GPA - grad & undergrad GPA aren't comparable, not standardized, and there's no MCAT to level a grad playing field.

Lots of people do traditional masters work on the way to med school - but not because they need additional academic assets. You do a regular masters because you want additional academic assets.

Best of luck to you.

Hey Guys,

I'm new to this forum and have a few questions about the SMP. Please excuse the dumb questions if i ask any.

My stats are:
have 2 more semesters left in college. Graduating Fall 2012
cGPA: 3.1
sGPA: 3.05
MCAT: 28
EC( basic undergrad research, philanthropy chair for frat ( raised $2000), working at optometry clinic right now)

I know my stats are extremely low and i blame myself solely for it.

What are my chances of getting into one?
Should I apply?
Should I retake my mcat?
Is Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center considered one?

Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks.
1. No don't apply. You won't see good results. Apply when you have the best possible app you can build.
2. Get straight A's for the rest of your undergrad career. That's by far the best thing you can do.
3. Retake the MCAT if you want an MD. Maybe retake if you want a DO.
4. Keep your Texas residency. Cheap, plentiful schools, maybe they'll still be there if politics settle down.
5. Do research on SMPs by reading tons of posts in this forum. If you focus on Texans who did SMPs and got into Texas schools, you could read for a week. And you'd get educated about SMPs as a choice.

Best of luck to you.

BrandNewDay reminds me of this:
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qM-gZintWDc[/YOUTUBE]

BrandNewDay reminds me of this:
[YOUTUBE]qM-gZintWDc[/YOUTUBE]

I'm assuming I'm the (surprisingly unattractive) Matt Damon character. I am happily book smart- and doing my best to spread your wisdom where I can. Please don't eat me. :scared:

Hello everyone,

I am a bit confused about what I should do...
Undergrad: Biology [major] Literature [minor]
cGPA: 3.74
sGPA: around 3.5-3.6 [might be higher... I haven't calculated it yet]

Graduate: M.S. in Biology
GPA: 3.84

I have tons of research experience at an R1 institution and, hopefully, a publication on the way. I have received a number of awards and a scholarship during my time as a master's student. I have clocked in many hours of shadowing and clinical service as well.

Unfortunately, I have taken the MCAT 3 times (2009, 2010, 2011), scoring 24, 26, and 24.. an ugly downward trend.

The MCAT killed any chance I had of getting into an MD school... so I am currently applying to the BMS program at Rosalind Franklin. I have friends who have completed this program with success. To me it seems as though most SMP programs are mainly geared toward individuals with lower GPAs and sufficient MCAT scores. My situation is just the opposite.

Anyways, I was curious to see whether you all think this is the appropriate course of action.

thank you so much :)

Hello everyone,

I have tons of research experience at an R1 institution and, hopefully, a publication on the way. I have received a number of awards and a scholarship during my time as a master's student. I have clocked in many hours of shadowing and clinical service as well.

Unfortunately, I have taken the MCAT 3 times (2009, 2010, 2011), scoring 24, 26, and 24.. an ugly downward trend.

The MCAT killed any chance I had of getting into an MD school... so I am currently applying to the BMS program at Rosalind Franklin. I have friends who have completed this program with success. To me it seems as though most SMP programs are mainly geared toward individuals with lower GPAs and sufficient MCAT scores. My situation is just the opposite.

Anyways, I was curious to see whether you all think this is the appropriate course of action.

There is no solution to a low MCAT - either get it up or plan on going DO or to the Carib

Hello everyone,

What sort of MCAT prep have you done?

What sort of MCAT prep have you done?
I always did Kaplan. The first two times I went to the classes and did all the coursework. The third time, I studied on my own using the online Kaplan materials and tried to focus more on practice problems. I always averaged between 29-32 on the practice exams (Kaplan and AAMC), but obviously I failed miserably during test day.

Oh sorry about that. well the gpa is 3.3 with a slightly lower sgpa with all prereqs done with a biology major. mcat is 31 fairly balanced. not URM and have not applied yet. gpa trend is upward but still some not so great grades here and there.

So I'm wondering would taking the SMP program, like Georgetowns, and doing decent, but not awesome, get me into an MD school or would I need a higher MCAT? The gpa won't budge very much since I've got so many credits. I'll go to wherever it takes me for the SMP and medical school. But I only want to do the SMP if it can get me into an MD school because I feel like I can get into a DO with the current stats. Obviously there's no guarantee but I'd like a good idea of what to expect because it wouldn't be worth my time to spend an extra year and 40k for an SMP to get me into a DO school. I'd rather not retake the MCAT because my averages during practice were only around ~30... Anything else?

I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on my particular situation:​

Three years ago I made a plan to take post-bac courses in order to raise my GPA above and 3.0, and then go on to a SMP in order to provide the best chance at medical school acceptance. It has now been about three years and I have acheived a 3.84 post-bacc GPA in 10 upper-level science courses (40 credits), raised my cGPA to 3.03 and my sGPA to 3.1, got a 31N on my MCAT, attained extrensive clinical experience, and have GREAT EC's and LOR's.​

I have recently been accepted to EVMS and Georgetown special masters programs, and was still deciding on where to attend. However, I was put in touch with a couple of admissions committee members at really competitive medical schools and was told that I was competitive now to apply without a masters program. Their reasoning was that my resume was extremely competitive and my performance in the post-bac showed that I am a different person than I was during undergrad and proved I can handle the courses. Needless to say this has caused me to wonder whether or not I should do an SMP.​

My reasoning behind still wanting to do a SMP this August is that if for some reason I do not get into medical school this cycle, I can apply the following cycle with a full set of SMP grades. Also, I believe that if I am in fact competitive now, I will be more apt to get on medical school waitlists, and then as the SMP updates the medical schools on my grades (throughout this application cycle) it will help me get into more schools. However, is this worth 60k? This is my dilemma.​

I am applying this June regardless, but I am wondering if it is worth the risk to not do the SMP and just try and apply with what I have now, or shell out the money for an SMP to attend during this application cycle, which may help me get into more schools and act to fully help me next cycle if I don't get in this cycle?​

It is also noteworthy to say that I was taking post-bacc courses part-time (2 courses a semester) because I was working full-time, shadowing and volunteering, concurrently. I bring this up becuase I'm not sure if medical schols still want to see a full-time heavy courseload.​

Any advise or thoughts would be great!​

P.S. DrMidlife, if you are reading this please don't kill me. I know you have advised me in the past, but that was before I heard from some ADCOMs! haha.​

P.S. DrMidlife, if you are reading this please don't kill me. I know you have advised me in the past, but that was before I heard from some ADCOMs! haha.
:laugh:Not at all. I think assumptions getting thrown under the bus, periodically, are what keep me coming back. It's really interesting when this happens.

You have 2 schools that have given you inside scoop, which is fantastic. If you can get similar access to inside info at 10-20 schools, then you definitely don't need an SMP, right?

Problem is, the following are questions without answers, unless you know somebody inside:
1. Which schools will keep looking at your app after they see cumulative GPA?
2. Are schools that don't screen before offering you a secondary (such as GW, which sends you the secondary invite about 30 seconds after you submit AMCAS) more likely to consider trends behind cumulative GPA, or are schools that do screen before offering secondaries (EVMS is on this list) more likely?
3. Are schools that get 5k+ apps worth applying to, if you need them to look past your top numbers?

The following anecdotal info, which (as with all anecdotes) is not to be confused with a body of relevant data, is what motivated me to get obsessed about GPA comeback details: with similar stats, in an otherwise strongly compelling app in '07, I applied to 36 well-researched MD schools, and only got partial love from my state's public school. For the record, that sucked. Your postbac GPA is quite a bit better than mine, and I hope that's a huge screaming difference.

So what to do?

The cost of a bad bet, if you choose to not do an SMP while you're applying MD, is that if you don't get an acceptance, you "lose" a year.

The cost of a bad bet, if you choose to do an SMP while you're applying MD, is that your acceptance will likely be conditional on your completion of the SMP. If not (ie you can get your MD school to waive the requirement to complete programs in progress at time of acceptance), and your acceptance comes after 2nd semester starts, you're out the full cost of an SMP you ended up not needing. My classmates at EVMS, who got January/February acceptances back at their home state schools, had a really hard time being good sports about finishing the program. The SMP changed from being a hopeful challenging opportunity to being medicine you have to swallow. It's good for you regardless, but wanting to do well is totally different from having to finish.

I suggest that it's a waste of time to worry about deposits paid to SMPs. A couple hundred bucks to keep an option open is cheap insurance.

Pressure's on, big decisions!!!

Best of luck to you.

1. No don't apply. You won't see good results. Apply when you have the best possible app you can build.
2. Get straight A's for the rest of your undergrad career. That's by far the best thing you can do.
3. Retake the MCAT if you want an MD. Maybe retake if you want a DO.
4. Keep your Texas residency. Cheap, plentiful schools, maybe they'll still be there if politics settle down.
5. Do research on SMPs by reading tons of posts in this forum. If you focus on Texans who did SMPs and got into Texas schools, you could read for a week. And you'd get educated about SMPs as a choice.

Best of luck to you.
Thanks for the reply DrMidlife! When you say I won't see good results, what did you mean by that?

Hey guys!

I was wondering if I should apply to SMP's or directly to med schools (or both)?

my stats are:
major: business operations
cGPA: 3.5
sGPA is 3.39
EC's are fair (nothing amazing)
currently taking biochem so can raise sGPA to 3.4
plan on taking MCATs in April

thanks for your help! :)

I have a similar question. If one applies to a post bacc, do you have to relinquish a wait list position at that school, specifically EVMS

Hey guys!

I was wondering if I should apply to SMP's or directly to med schools (or both)?

my stats are:
major: business operations
cGPA: 3.5
sGPA is 3.39
EC's are fair (nothing amazing)
currently taking biochem so can raise sGPA to 3.4
plan on taking MCATs in April

thanks for your help! :)
Do nothing till you get an MCAT - then re-assess

I have a similar question. If one applies to a post bacc, do you have to relinquish a wait list position at that school, specifically EVMS
Doubtful

Not at all, happens all the time.

Waitlists, specifically at EVMS, for both SMP and MD, keep moving right up to the first day of orientation.

Best of luck to you.

I am really stressed out about what to do in my current situation:

I am currently a senior at the University of Michigan majoring in neuroscience. I have worked in a neuroscience research lab for about 1.5 years, volunteered at UofM hospital for about 3 months months, volunteered through Habitat for Humanity for a few months, and had a 6 week internship through the St. John's Health System here in Michigan. In this internship I was able to shadow doctors (usually neurologists and neurosurgeons) in both the OR, clinic, and hospital setting. I took the MCAT this past summer (end of July 2011). I am in a fraternity here at UMich and I have held the positions of Recruitment Chair and Secretary - both on the executive board. My pre-health advisor has been less than helpful in my situation, mainly telling me to call every school I have interest in and ask what they suggest I should do. Here are my stats:

cGPA: 3.3
sGPA: 3.2
MCAT: 32S (9-PS, 11-V, 12-BS)

My GPA has a good upward trend in that last semester (Fall 2011) I earned ~3.75, and the semester before that (Winter 2011) I earned ~3.7. Fall 2010 I still had an upward trend with a GPA of about 3.45.

At this point I am strongly considering doing a SMP. Does this make sense? If so, what programs do you suggest? Also, I have visited Loyola's medical school multiple times and really like it so maybe their MA in Health Sciences?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:
Hey guys!

I'm a senior and about to graduate in 3 months! I was wondering if I should apply to an SMP or take upper science classes at my institiution.. I'm planning to take my MCATS in May. Any direction would be good! I have no research (i did volunteer research but that was just helping preps and stuff) and no shadowing.. I can't find anyone to shadow because I never had a PCP and most of them just ignore my call.. I feel that I won't be a competitive applicant because of my GPA.. especially since i got 2 C's in the pre-req and a bunch of B's..

cGPA: 3.48 (3.54 after I graduate)
sGPA: 3.3

Hey guys!

I'm a senior and about to graduate in 3 months! I was wondering if I should apply to an SMP or take upper science classes at my institiution.. I'm planning to take my MCATS in May. Any direction would be good! I have no research (i did volunteer research but that was just helping preps and stuff) and no shadowing.. I can't find anyone to shadow because I never had a PCP and most of them just ignore my call.. I feel that I won't be a competitive applicant because of my GPA.. especially since i got 2 C's in the pre-req and a bunch of B's..

cGPA: 3.48 (3.54 after I graduate)
sGPA: 3.3

I think regardless of gpa, you really need to work on your ECs. Maybe you should think about spending a year working on them and taking classes? Your gpa definitely isn't that bad, and its definitely not the weakest point of your app. You need to find some way of justifying to the adcoms that you have seen first hand what is involved in being a physician. For shadowing, what worked for me was looking on the websites of nearby hospitals for people who did their ug at my university. People are usually more willing to work with people who are at their alma mater

no shadowing.. I can't find anyone to shadow because I never had a PCP and most of them just ignore my call..
My question is, if you have never had a PCP, and never shadowed - how do you know a doctors life is like? or what they do? And do not say because of TV.

I hope you have some other profound medical interaction that you haven't told us about

Sorry I didn't mention-- I've worked as a med assistant for 3 years, have volunteer work at 2 clinics and a homeless shelter, did volunteer research, VP and chair in 2 school organizations, worked 2 part-time jobs for 2 years and was always a full-time student. never had a pcp b/c we couldn't afford insurance but this md took me in free of charge.. this experience and a work related experienced made me want to pursue medicine.

But i think i'm ok with my EC's, I'm just not so sure that my GPA would be considered competitive and whether applying for SMP would be the best thing to do to increase my chances to get in..

Thanks for you input guys!

To all I recommend special masters programs over traditional masters programs (me being in the later category). However, my pre-medical advisor has been doing this job for 30 years, and said that a masters degree has significantly improved chances in gaining admittance (my school has no SMP). Here is what I have found in difficulty:

Any medical related course, upper level microbiology, biochemistry, or physiology is anywhere but easy and not curved up. Courses in physics and engineering, are typically pretty easy. Many of these upper level courses in medical related studies (I'm talking about cross listed upper division with grad, as well as 2nd and even 3rd level graduate courses) they curve to a 3.0 or a little above (sometimes down to the upper 2s though). A lot of engineering courses they hand out 3.7 or 4.0 grade distributions. Now granite they don't fail anybody in the medical related courses (sometimes they do though), but the grade distribution is much lower. I have taken courses cross listed with the veterinary school, those classes are very rigorous as well. When I say rigorous I don't mean course material, I mean grading standards. The most rigorous course I took was an upper level physics course with mathematics twice as complicated as any calculus or differential equations course I took, but the grade distribution turned out to be so liberal, made me feel bad for working hard in the class (got an A+).

My bet is that medical science is medical science from university to university. Professors in those classes don't like to hand out As like candy. However, ADCOMS may look at this differently. Biological science at my school on the other hand, much easier than more medically focused courses at the graduate level. People in medical or veterinary related classes are way more serious. A lot of the students in my engineering classes don't have near the focus and drive in the class, as they don't need to worry about the grade (not saying that some graduate engineering courses aren't very hard, and maybe they are just easy for the grad engineer). Just in my experience, grade distributions don't lie, and the medical and veterinary courses are all on a straight scale. Doesn't matter what it is, gross anatomy, medical microbiology, energy metabolism, veterinary physiology, toxicology, immunology, pathophysiology: average to low distributions. At your school maybe these grad level classes have high distributions, but I challenge anyone to bring up a grad course of a medical title, a regular basic science like grad course, and tell me that everybody got an A almost like a grad physics or other course.

Last edited:
Hello,

I would appreciate some advice regarding my situation.

I have a 3.59 cgpa, 3.25 bcpm, 33M MCAT (11-11-11). I applied to all my state schools and some out of state (NY), but have not gotten any interviews. It seems more and more likely that I won't be accepted this year. My applications weren't marked complete until december. I submitted secondaries in October (totally my fault, but I needed to get some cash together). My ECs are decent, not great. I have some hospital volunteering <100 hrs, some shadowing/medical internships (altogether, my clinical experience/patient contact is solid, I think), some community service (fundraising, tutoring), about 1 year clinical research with 1 publication, leadership (president of a religious club, organized some interfaith activities and charity fundraisers, etc), I also have some other activities that are more like hobbies.

I know my bcpm is really weak. I'm a Biology major, so taking more classes wouldn't impact my bcpm much and I graduated in 2010 anyway. Would a special master's be a good route to go? Would I have a shot at Georgetown? Would it help me get into an MD school in the US? I only hesitate because it's awfully expensive, but I'd be willing to take out loans if it would help my chances significantly. Or should I just reapply this year and try to be complete earlier? Would being enrolled in an SMP help my chances if I apply while enrolled?

Last edited:
Is anyone aware of a SPM that allows you to directly transfer your AMCAS app over to the MBS/SPM program. One school, TCMC, has already done this for me. In fact, they offered to after they rejected my AMCAS app. This was very convenient however, especially in regards to Letters. I've gotten myself into a little of a pickle regarding letters because they are all within the AMCAS letter writer service as apposed to say interfolio. Its getting near crunch time, and places that allow direct transfer of AMCAS apps are at least worth applying too.

Last edited:
Hello,

I would appreciate some advice regarding my situation.

I have a 3.59 cgpa, 3.25 bcpm, 33M MCAT (11-11-11). I applied to all my state schools and some out of state (NY), but have not gotten any interviews. It seems more and more likely that I won't be accepted this year. My applications weren't marked complete until december. I submitted secondaries in October (totally my fault, but I needed to get some cash together). My ECs are decent, not great. I have some hospital volunteering <100 hrs, some shadowing/medical internships (altogether, my clinical experience/patient contact is solid, I think), some community service (fundraising, tutoring), about 1 year clinical research with 1 publication, leadership (president of a religious club, organized some interfaith activities and charity fundraisers, etc), I also have some other activities that are more like hobbies.

I know my bcpm is really weak. I'm a Biology major, so taking more classes wouldn't impact my bcpm much and I graduated in 2010 anyway. Would a special master's be a good route to go? Would I have a shot at Georgetown? Would it help me get into an MD school in the US? I only hesitate because it's awfully expensive, but I'd be willing to take out loans if it would help my chances significantly. Or should I just reapply this year and try to be complete earlier? Would being enrolled in an SMP help my chances if I apply while enrolled?
I'm in a similar situation. Why was your SGPA lower. For me, it was Organic and General Chem, simple as that. So I feel the Post bac would give Medical Schools confidence that I could handle chem related material in medical school. My MCAT is nowhere near yours, but my Biology GPA is fantastic. So, with that said I feel the Post bac could help my situation tremendously.

I'm in a similar situation. Why was your SGPA lower. For me, it was Organic and General Chem, simple as that. So I feel the Post bac would give Medical Schools confidence that I could handle chem related material in medical school. My MCAT is nowhere near yours, but my Biology GPA is fantastic. So, with that said I feel the Post bac could help my situation tremendously.

Got an F in Calc 2 the first time I took it. Back then, I didn't know that med schools count every grade, even if you retake. Not to mention you don't even need Calc 2, plus I was taking 21 credits that semester like an idiot trying to finish early. All because of my ignorance. Otherwise, I would have dropped it. I got a few Bs in other classes, and one C+ in Biochem, and all other As. If it weren't for the F and the C, I'd be in a much better situation. Oh well, what can I do.

Still, I might try to just re apply next year first, and apply really early. Applying late was another thing that screwed me. I wasn't complete in some places till December. I think I had a reasonable shot somewhere even with the 3.25. Or I might just go Caribbean or forget medicine altogether. I'm getting tired of this rat race that I've been running for the last 6 years.

Still, I might try to just re apply next year first, and apply really early. Applying late was another thing that screwed me. I wasn't complete in some places till December. I think I had a reasonable shot somewhere even with the 3.25. Or I might just go Caribbean or forget medicine altogether. I'm getting tired of this rat race that I've been running for the last 6 years.
Your issue was ur ridiculously late application. December is dont even bother territory.Get your apps in early and it will prob go better.

And don't go to the Carib

Got an F in Calc 2 the first time I took it. Back then, I didn't know that med schools count every grade, even if you retake. Not to mention you don't even need Calc 2, plus I was taking 21 credits that semester like an idiot trying to finish early. All because of my ignorance. Otherwise, I would have dropped it. I got a few Bs in other classes, and one C+ in Biochem, and all other As. If it weren't for the F and the C, I'd be in a much better situation. Oh well, what can I do.

That's a damn good MCAT though and it shows you know your science, unless you are in the middle of something that is highly beneficial in the Fall, try getting your app. in much earlier

That's a damn good MCAT though and it shows you know your science, unless you are in the middle of something that is highly beneficial in the Fall, try getting your app. in much earlier

yeah, I think I'll hold off on SMP for at least another year. I think there's still a chance I might get an interview at suny buffalo, which supposedly interviews into april, but if not, I'll just reapply early next cycle. I'd rather work for a year and earn some money than spend 45k + on an SMP if I don't have to. Though the science gpa still does worry me...I do know the science, it's just when I got those grades, I either took on too much at once, or I was going through some major personal problems, which I'd be happy to explain in an interview...but I wasn't offered one, so...that's about it. I hate the fact that it's calculus 2 which screwed me over, which is not even relevant to anything.

Hey guys! I can't believe I just found this website and thread... it's amazing! Anyway, I was hoping someone could give me some advice.

I'm a senior and I had been planning to do an SMP for my gap year, but my pre-health advisor just told me I should go ahead and apply to medical schools in june and not do an SMP because my science gpa is close enough.

My sGPA is a 3.41 and cGPA is a 3.48. I'm taking the mcat in march, and I've been getting 31 on practice mcats. I feel good about my ec's because i've done a lot of volunteering/leadership, and i'm a spanish major (yay diversity/uniqueness?)

Do you think I should do an SMP to be safe, or just take the beast head on and apply this cylce?

Hey guys! I can't believe I just found this website and thread... it's amazing! Anyway, I was hoping someone could give me some advice.

I'm a senior and I had been planning to do an SMP for my gap year, but my pre-health advisor just told me I should go ahead and apply to medical schools in june and not do an SMP because my science gpa is close enough.

My sGPA is a 3.41 and cGPA is a 3.48. I'm taking the mcat in march, and I've been getting 31 on practice mcats. I feel good about my ec's because i've done a lot of volunteering/leadership, and i'm a spanish major (yay diversity/uniqueness?)

Do you think I should do an SMP to be safe, or just take the beast head on and apply this cylce?
If you're in California (or a similarly wicked competitive state) you should do an SMP first. Otherwise you are probably fine to apply MD this year.

There's a lot of reading to do to ramp up on the subtleties of SMPs. There's no one-size-fits-all recommendation to follow.

Best of luck to you.

Question: I have a 3.6 overall gpa, a 21 mcat and have really good ec's. I know my mcat score is very low but I went ahead and applied to medical school this year. I got an interview to my dream med school but got wait-listed.

I know I need to strengthen my application by doing a med- prep program such as the one offered by SIU. However, SIU med prep program does not open up til next year. So my question is does anyone know of a med-prep program similar to SIU's that has a earlier start date? Thank you!