**The Official Guide to Special Masters Programs**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Even after doing well in a SMP?

The question that keeps running through my head every time I read one of your posts is: why is this guy trying so hard to get people on an anonymous forum to side with his point of view so that he can feel better about the decision he already had in mind?

If you don't want to retake the MCAT, that's great.

The fact is: the MCAT score of the average applicant is over 30. Just because you (potentially) did well on your SMP does not mean it automatically erases all of the blemishes on your application.

The ideal SMP candidate is a person that only has one major black mark on his application: grades.

Members don't see this ad.

Even after doing well in a SMP?

You need to read the forum more.

SMPs do not fix subpar MCATs - your MCAT is subpar, an SMP does not help you solve this. Can you still get accepted? maybe. But its not helping your app

Average MCAT for an accepted student is 31.2.

You need to read the forum more.

SMPs do not fix subpar MCATs - your MCAT is subpar, an SMP does not help you solve this. Can you still get accepted? maybe. But its not helping your app

Average MCAT for an accepted student is 31.2.

Ah, that average is what I was looking for. Thanks guys. I guess I'm retaking it.

Members don't see this ad :)
The question that keeps running through my head every time I read one of your posts is: why is this guy trying so hard to get people on an anonymous forum to side with his point of view so that he can feel better about the decision he already had in mind?

If you don't want to retake the MCAT, that's great.

The fact is: the MCAT score of the average applicant is over 30. Just because you (potentially) did well on your SMP does not mean it automatically erases all of the blemishes on your application.

The ideal SMP candidate is a person that only has one major black mark on his application: grades.

I completely understand why that thought would be running through your mind. I just didn't realize a 29 was that poor of an MCAT score. Regardless, it seems like it's time to look at upcoming MCAT dates. i just know 3 of my friends who got into Drexel (2) and VCU with a 29, even though their GPAs were near a 3.75. Thanks for your help.

Getting into an SMP doesn't mean you're getting in to med school. You still have to apply to med school and compete against the greater pool of 45,000 candidates. Before they look at your SMP performance they look at your undergrad GPA and MCAT.

An SMP is a 1+ year counterexample to a 4+ year undergrad performance. So if your undergrad performance is really bad, you don't get fixed by an SMP and handed a med school acceptance.

What "your friends" are doing doesn't matter at all. "Your friends" may be underrepresented minorities or they may have published or they may interview extremely well or they may have alumni relatives or they may be surprisingly instate or have that one Navajo uncle on their mom's side. A sample size of 3 against 45,000 MD applicants is not useful.

Meanwhile, doing an SMP with a 3.75 is a joke. An SMP costs around $50k and takes a year. An MCAT retake with full professional prep is about $2k and takes a few months.

Also, there are about a dozen postbacs and SMPs at Drexel, and all have different requirements and results.

As others have said, you need to do more work. Lots more work. On a GPA comeback, 100 hours per year of studying AAMC and the MSAR and AACOM and SDN and finaid.org and med school websites is a good start.

Best of luck to you.

Getting into an SMP doesn't mean you're getting in to med school. You still have to apply to med school and compete against the greater pool of 45,000 candidates. Before they look at your SMP performance they look at your undergrad GPA and MCAT.

An SMP is a 1+ year counterexample to a 4+ year undergrad performance. So if your undergrad performance is really bad, you don't get fixed by an SMP and handed a med school acceptance.

What "your friends" are doing doesn't matter at all. "Your friends" may be underrepresented minorities or they may have published or they may interview extremely well or they may have alumni relatives or they may be surprisingly instate or have that one Navajo uncle on their mom's side. A sample size of 3 against 45,000 MD applicants is not useful.

Meanwhile, doing an SMP with a 3.75 is a joke. An SMP costs around $50k and takes a year. An MCAT retake with full professional prep is about $2k and takes a few months.

Also, there are about a dozen postbacs and SMPs at Drexel, and all have different requirements and results.

As others have said, you need to do more work. Lots more work. On a GPA comeback, 100 hours per year of studying AAMC and the MSAR and AACOM and SDN and finaid.org and med school websites is a good start.

Best of luck to you.

Thank you. I know for a fact my ECs were better but you're right (maybe they do have a Navajo uncle, not fair!) Point is that they're accepted and I'm not. I think my GPA is beyond repair for undergrad as I have completed my major already and most upper level science classes. I'm going to retake the MCAT before December and look into post-baccs or SMPs

I think my GPA is beyond repair for undergrad as I have completed my major already and most upper level science classes

You have drawn conclusions before doing your homework.

I know for a fact my ECs were better

In all honesty, that's less effective as a comfort measure than a small crusty teddy bear. ECs aren't interesting until you are academically interesting.

In all honesty, that's less effective as a comfort measure than a small crusty teddy bear. ECs aren't interesting until you are academically interesting.

Fair enough. My understanding of SMPs isn't what I thought it was. Thank you guys for all the information. Time to do my homework.

Fair enough. My understanding of SMPs isn't what I thought it was. Thank you guys for all the information. Time to do my homework.

Yeah, I know it's cold comfort to hear, and it took me a while to realize the same, but it's very much true -- SMPs are *only* for people who have a completely perfect application (including 30+, and hopefully 33+ MCAT), except for the one crucial factor: the undergraduate GPA.

And not even just that... SMPs, and med schools more importantly, look a lot more favorably on the ~3.0 that is a product of some really good semesters and some really bad semesters (for whatever justifiable reason) than of a sustained mediocre B-/C+ performance in college. They're looking for a narrative about why you're not being represented properly by your stats, and for evidence that you're actually going to succeed when you haven't before.

Yeah, I know it's cold comfort to hear, and it took me a while to realize the same, but it's very much true -- SMPs are *only* for people who have a completely perfect application (including 30+, and hopefully 33+ MCAT), except for the one crucial factor: the undergraduate GPA.

And not even just that... SMPs, and med schools more importantly, look a lot more favorably on the ~3.0 that is a product of some really good semesters and some really bad semesters (for whatever justifiable reason) than of a sustained mediocre B-/C+ performance in college. They're looking for a narrative about why you're not being represented properly by your stats, and for evidence that you're actually going to succeed when you haven't before.

You're right on point. It was hard for me to face potentially having to retake the mcat but if that's what it takes...

are the UC post-bacc programs any good?

i was reading up on them and they seem very informal.

I have an ok GPA: 3.5 undergard from a UC. And it seems the program is not a good fit

OK so quick question, I've looked on this thread (yes I have used the search button and read through part of this thread and didn't find the answer, so if the answer is somewhere on SDN, which probably is, but I cannot find it, I apologize in advance for my lack of search abilities.) I realize applying for SMP to a school with a medical school will increase your chance of acceptance, however, are there specific programs that provide linkages that is not post-bac career changers? Currently, my GPA is somewhat competitive for medical school (at least in my opinion) but it is not at the level I want it to be.

Members don't see this ad :)
OK so quick question, I've looked on this thread (yes I have used the search button and read through part of this thread and didn't find the answer, so if the answer is somewhere on SDN, which probably is, but I cannot find it, I apologize in advance for my lack of search abilities.) I realize applying for SMP to a school with a medical school will increase your chance of acceptance, however, are there specific programs that provide linkages that is not post-bac career changers? Currently, my GPA is somewhat competitive for medical school (at least in my opinion) but it is not at the level I want it to be.

sounds like you want temple acms - guaranteed acceptance if you get 3.5 in the program and 30 mcat. often accepts people with high gpas. google temple acms.

Hi everyone, I'm new here. I really want to get into the evms medical master's program and then hopefully get into the medical school. Do you think I can make it?

My stats are as follows:
senior at small liberal arts school in VA
Hampton Roads resident
Dual Degree: BS in Biochem and molecular biology, BS in business administration with concentration in management.
GPA: 3.16, science: 2.88 (hoping these will go up a little this fall)
100+ hours of clinical volunteering
World pediatric project internship
2 summers and 2 semesters of biochem research at my university
and leadership in 2 clubs

I will be taking the mcat for the first time in January but I'm hoping to earn a 30 at least. Any guidance you can provide will be much appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Hi everyone,

So I am about to enter my final semester of undergrad (I will officially graduate in December) and was recently told by a counselor to wait until the next application cycle to apply to med school (June/July of 2014). I'm wondering what would be the best use of my year and a half or so between graduating and beginning medical school if accepted. A Special Masters Program is sounding like a reasonable and beneficial option. My only problem is that I am planning on taking my second semesters of General Chemistry and Physics after I graduate from undergrad, and all SMPs that I have come across require all pre-med requirements to be completed before beginning the program. My question is this: Is there time to complete these course (say, in the spring semester of 2014) and apply to an SMP? When do applications open for most SMPs? I'm assuming I would also be applying to medical school in June/July. However, I would of course want to be able to say that I am planning on entering an SMP in August on my medical school application. Is any of this timing possible?

I really appreciate any feedback. Sorry for the long message!

Hi everyone,

So I am about to enter my final semester of undergrad (I will officially graduate in December) and was recently told by a counselor to wait until the next application cycle to apply to med school (June/July of 2014). I'm wondering what would be the best use of my year and a half or so between graduating and beginning medical school if accepted. A Special Masters Program is sounding like a reasonable and beneficial option. My only problem is that I am planning on taking my second semesters of General Chemistry and Physics after I graduate from undergrad, and all SMPs that I have come across require all pre-med requirements to be completed before beginning the program. My question is this: Is there time to complete these course (say, in the spring semester of 2014) and apply to an SMP? When do applications open for most SMPs? I'm assuming I would also be applying to medical school in June/July. However, I would of course want to be able to say that I am planning on entering an SMP in August on my medical school application. Is any of this timing possible?

I really appreciate any feedback. Sorry for the long message!

Sounds like you answered your own question, which is that it's possible. Do your prereq. in spring of 2014 and enter the program in August 2014. What a lot of people do. Whether you, specifically, SHOULD be doing this is an entirely another question. You're giving yourself no downtime to regroup before a SMP.

Hi everyone! I would love if someone could give me some advice..Does it make sense to do an SMP and then apply to med schools the same year?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Is applying in May/June for enrollment in fall too late for SMP's?

Hi, I would like some advice too:
I have a 3.3 sgpa 3.3 cgpa with one really bad semester that has an explanation, and 38 on Mcat ,which will expire after 2014. Last cycle, the only feedback I got from a couple of schools was that I needed more clinical work. Applied to 2 smp s w/o success.

Now, I added > 220 hrs of volunteer clinical work, still no response ftom anywhere this cycle.

I can't think of doing anything other than medicine. Should I even consider applying for a smp, hope to do equally well or better in MCAT , or what?

Any advice will be really appreciated.

Any advice will be really appreciated.

What SMPs did you apply to, and did you apply after they were full? I think you would be very competitive if you applied DO. With your stats I'm surprised that you didn't get any interest at all, assuming you applied broadly - is there any chance one of your LORs is negative, and have you had anybody review your personal statement? I don't think you're really going to be able to improve your MCAT, and depending on definitions it seems like your MCAT is going to expire if you do a SMP anyway?

What SMPs did you apply to, and did you apply after they were full? I think you would be very competitive if you applied DO. With your stats I'm surprised that you didn't get any interest at all, assuming you applied broadly - is there any chance one of your LORs is negative, and have you had anybody review your personal statement? I don't think you're really going to be able to improve your MCAT, and depending on definitions it seems like your MCAT is going to expire if you do a SMP anyway?

GT, Tulane snd Temple SMP . ! Applied in Feb after giving up hope last cycle.
No LORs are Excellent.

Last yr PS wasn't that good, this yr many reviewed- . Complete most schools this yr by Aug 21st ,--got screwed by AMCAS even though got my app in the first hr,.. verified Aug 10..

If I want to pursue med , I will have to retake the MCAT. Worries me what if I don't do this well ,
Can't think of an alternate career...., what can I do?

When to apply for 2014 SMP program??
What if one gets an admission in MD school after accepting a SMP ? How long do you get to decide?

What if one gets an admission in MD school after accepting a SMP ? How long do you get to decide?

You go to the MD school?

What do you have to decide on? Why would you give up an acceptance to an MD school for an SMP program?

You'd be an idiot to say no to an MD acceptance.

Last edited:
I was wondering if any of you could offer some advice?
About me:
1) My cGPA is a 3.38 and my sGPA is a 3.3 (AMCAs calculated)

2) I have two W's on my transcript, one for Orgo II and the other for Physics II. I retook Orgo II and got a C+ (not a B+/A like I wanted but better than another W) and I also retook Physics II and got an A- (First time I took Physics II I got a D+, the second time I withdrew and third time is when I got the A-.....really looks bad, I know!)

3) I have a slight downward trend in my grades. I started off with a 3.9 in my freshman year, then had some bumps in the road (as mentioned above).

4) My only MCAT on file is a 14N (took it in 2011; clearly wasn't prepared and stupidly wrote the exam). I was able to raise my score up to a 23 (on practice exams only). I'm definitely going to retake it, only when I score 30+ on practice tests.

5) I have a wealth of EC's and honors including volunteer work, internships, and community service. Have not been published or anything spectacular but interesting. I am a two recipient of the SUNY Chancellors Award.

6) Great LORS. One of which includes the President from the CC I attended for my first two years in undergrad.

7) I'm a male URM. (I hear that helps some)

So is there any hope for me? What should I do to boost my application? SMP? Graduate degree? ANY help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

About me:

2) I have two W's on my transcript, one for Orgo II and the other for Physics II. I retook Orgo II and got a C+ (not a B+/A like I wanted but better than another W) and I also retook Physics II and got an A- (First time I took Physics II I got a D+, the second time I withdrew and third time is when I got the A-.....really looks bad, I know!)

3) I have a slight downward trend in my grades. I started off with a 3.9 in my freshman year, then had some bumps in the road (as mentioned above).

4) My only MCAT on file is a 14N (took it in 2011; clearly wasn't prepared and stupidly wrote the exam). I was able to raise my score up to a 23 (on practice exams only). I'm definitely going to retake it, only when I score 30+ on practice tests.

5) I have a wealth of EC's and honors including volunteer work, internships, and community service. Have not been published or anything spectacular but interesting. I am a two recipient of the SUNY Chancellors Award.

6) Great LORS. One of which includes the President from the CC I attended for my first two years in undergrad.

So is there any hope for me? What should I do to boost my application? SMP? Graduate degree? ANY help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Cross-posting x 2, and PM the exact same thing is a bit overkill. I will respond via PM

About me:

I don't think you need an SMP. If your MCAT is in the mid-20s then an SMP will not help. If you score around a 30 and have an upward trend in grades (by taking a semester or two of full load of science classes at a local 4 yr college) then academics should not hold you back.

I don't think you need an SMP. If your MCAT is in the mid-20s then an SMP will not help. If you score around a 30 and have an upward trend in grades (by taking a semester or two of full load of science classes at a local 4 yr college) then academics should not hold you back.
Thanks for the response! I have already taken every "recommended" science courses (Biochem, Immunology, Genetics, Pathology, etc.) during my undergrad. I don't know what other science courses I can take...

Also would really appreciate if anyone had any advice on my question..

Does it make sense to do an SMP and apply to med schools during the same year? My main concern is the cost and time. I already have lots of undergrad debt, and don't want to take more time off unless its absolutely necessary.

Last edited:
Hey everyone.
I was just looking for some advice.
I'm American with a lebanese background and have done undergrad in lebanon. This country isn't safe at all and some personal circumstances have affected my gpa.
I'm graduating in may with a 3.0 gpa and a 31 on my mcat.
With these stats, do you recommend a Postbacc or and SMP to increase my chances of getting accepted into medical school?
I am planning on retaking the mcat.
Thanks a lot!

Also would really appreciate if anyone had any advice on my question.. Posting it again:

I just graduated undergrad in the spring, and started studying for the MCAT in Sept. I have a 3.54 cGPA, and a 3.3 sGPA. I don't think I'll be competitive for MD schools with my science GPA, so I am planning on applying to SMP programs for entrance next fall. I am not the best standardized test taker, but I am hoping for at least a 30 MCAT.

Does it make sense to do an SMP and then apply to med schools the year after? My main concern is the cost and time. I already have lots of undergrad debt, and don't want to take more time off unless its absolutely necessary. Thoughts?
I think this is the 3rd time I've attempted to answer this, and SDN went down as I tried to post. You're not being ignored.

But you won't like my advice.: man up. Or woman up. Make up your mind. If you want to be a doctor, pay the price. With lower stats, you don't get to dictate the terms of getting in. You will almost certainly have more debt on the other side of med school on a GPA comeback. You will almost certainly have "extra" "gap" years, which when you are in your 30's you will probably remember with intense fond nostalgia, and wish you'd taken more time to live before med school.

If you are fearful of the MCAT because you are not good at standardized tests, again, man up. There will be forty bazillion standardized tests in med school and residency and practice. Constant and unrelenting multiple choice tests covering painfully large bodies of content are what medicine requires. Make friends with these tests. Make yourself a destroyer of these tests. Beating the living snot out of the MCAT is simply what you do to get ready for med school.

Should you do a postbac or SMP? Dunno. I've spent 7 years now writing about how to approach GPA redemption, as have dozens of others in this forum. We are not patient with people who ask basic questions that we have answered literally hundreds of times, for nothing but the satisfaction of making info available that wasn't available when we started our own GPA redemption. So, after at least a dozen hours of reading our stories in this forum, you might have the beginnings of an understanding of what you're getting into. If you honestly want an easier, softer way than those minimum hours, quit now.

Meanwhile, it's January, the good SMPs have been taking apps since October, and you don't have an MCAT score yet. You aren't getting into a good SMP without a good MCAT score. So as you fret over lost years, add another, because Fall 2014 is already a stretch.

tl;dr: Be the adult, take charge, do the work, make up your mind.

Best of luck to you.

Hey everyone.
I was just looking for some advice.
I'm American with a lebanese background and have done undergrad in lebanon. This country isn't safe at all and some personal circumstances have affected my gpa.
I'm graduating in may with a 3.0 gpa and a 31 on my mcat.
With these stats, do you recommend a Postbacc or and SMP to increase my chances of getting accepted into medical school?
I am planning on retaking the mcat.
Thanks a lot!
The 31 on the MCAT is key here. It says you are basically med school material and that some calculated risks will be reasonable.

Foreign coursework is your #1 problem. Most med schools will not take foreign prereqs at all, unless they're from Canada. Even if you're in a Commonwealth country, you still have to do the premed prereqs in the US, in addition to getting your foreign transcript evaluated. My recommendation is to do a 2nd bachelors in the US at a 4 year university. Do something like biochem, microbio, genetics etc. If you get mostly A's, then you're good to go.

A 3.0 in foreign coursework isn't actually a problem, assuming you do great in US prereqs. US med schools won't take your Lebanon coursework seriously at all, and the expensive evaluation you have to get is going to be less interesting than your 31. But: med schools will be interested in your story, the strife you endured and your experience living in conditions that are not ideal. This will set you apart.

Leave the MCAT alone unless your score expires. Your MCAT will not be the thing that keeps you out of med school. Having a 31 MCAT followed by a 3.7+ in US prereqs is all the sweetness you need.

You're saying you're "American" but what you simply have to be is either a permanent resident or citizen. If that's not the case, then this is your real #1 problem.

Best of luck to you.

The 31 on the MCAT is key here. It says you are basically med school material and that some calculated risks will be reasonable.

Foreign coursework is your #1 problem. Most med schools will not take foreign prereqs at all, unless they're from Canada. Even if you're in a Commonwealth country, you still have to do the premed prereqs in the US, in addition to getting your foreign transcript evaluated. My recommendation is to do a 2nd bachelors in the US at a 4 year university. Do something like biochem, microbio, genetics etc. If you get mostly A's, then you're good to go.

A 3.0 in foreign coursework isn't actually a problem, assuming you do great in US prereqs. US med schools won't take your Lebanon coursework seriously at all, and the expensive evaluation you have to get is going to be less interesting than your 31. But: med schools will be interested in your story, the strife you endured and your experience living in conditions that are not ideal. This will set you apart.

Leave the MCAT alone unless your score expires. Your MCAT will not be the thing that keeps you out of med school. Having a 31 MCAT followed by a 3.7+ in US prereqs is all the sweetness you need.

You're saying you're "American" but what you simply have to be is either a permanent resident or citizen. If that's not the case, then this is your real #1 problem.

Best of luck to you.

Thanks a lot for your reply, I really appreciate it and it's very helpful.
But I do have some things to add. Yes, I am a US citizen, I came to Lebanon and did my last two years of high school and undergrad.
The university I'm attending here is an American university so I'm not sure if they really look at it as foreign credit. Also, I did apply to several medical school this cycle and my grades were verified by amcas. I was granted an interview at the University of Kansas School of Medicine. I was born there and I've lived most of my life there. So I'm not sure if the strong ties to Kansas are what got them them interview me but I just received the letter of rejection yesterday. I plan on calling the school this week to get some info. KU is my perfect school and I really don't want to go anywhere else. So you think if I move to Kansas this summer and attend another college then that would help my chances?

Thanks a lot for your reply, I really appreciate it and it's very helpful.
But I do have some things to add. Yes, I am a US citizen, I came to Lebanon and did my last two years of high school and undergrad.
The university I'm attending here is an American university so I'm not sure if they really look at it as foreign credit. Also, I did apply to several medical school this cycle and my grades were verified by amcas. I was granted an interview at the University of Kansas School of Medicine. I was born there and I've lived most of my life there. So I'm not sure if the strong ties to Kansas are what got them them interview me but I just received the letter of rejection yesterday. I plan on calling the school this week to get some info. KU is my perfect school and I really don't want to go anywhere else. So you think if I move to Kansas this summer and attend another college then that would help my chances?
Sigh. Don't leave out key points of the story if you want real help.

If your 3.0 from Lebanon is equivalent to a 3.0 in the US, and I have no idea if that is the case, then you are in the same boat as the bazillions of low GPA applicants that frequent this forum. Find the low GPA thread here, which has over half a million views, and start studying. If you're thinking about an SMP, then what are you waiting for? Get your apps done now.

This may not be the correct place to ask, but any advice is appreciated. I suffered from some health problems (pneumonia, strep, shingles, trauma to dominant hand) during two separate semesters in college and my grades during those semesters were abysmal (some A's, but two D's and two F's). Those two semesters have precluded me from any hope of acceptance into medical school this year. So, that brings me to my question: In writing my personal statement for SMPs, should I focus on what I learned/how I matured from dealing with those health issues and how that relates to my desire to become a physician? Do I need to explain those semesters' grades, or should I instead focus on other things?

To give you some more context (pretty much the same as everyone else here lol):
cum gpa: 3.1
bcmp gpa: 2.9
MCAT: 31: 10 ps, 11 verbal, 10 bs
Downward/inconsistent trend in grades
1 good LOR right now, rest are bad
Some volunteering, some shadowing and lots of research-- all mostly in first 2 years of college
Some club involvement, minor leadership positions

Last edited:
Hello All,

wanted to know what my chances are of getting into a SMP, particularly Tufts, BU, UMDNJ. U Michigan, Georgetown, PCOM, Temple's ACMS, or RFUMS..
Stats: cGPA 3.13, sGPA 2.9 and I have not taken the MCAT or GRE yet. I will say that I had a bad second year due to illness and went up once I recovered; dean's list consistently. I addressed my drop in grades in my PS.
I have almost a decade of healthcare experience. I worked as a clinical lab assistant, a CNA in the ED, a psych tech, and now am a Clinical Research Coordinator at Mass General Hospital in Boston. I have tons of leadership experience and was active on campus during my undergrad years. I also have strong LORs and a good PS.

What is the proper way to contact adcoms for SMPs? Would a letter of interest be helpful? Is calling and talking to adcom members appropriate or even possible? Is there anything else I can do to improve my chances of acceptance?

This may not be the correct place to ask, but any advice is appreciated. I suffered from some health problems (pneumonia, strep, shingles, trauma to dominant hand) during two separate semesters in college and my grades during those semesters were abysmal (some A's, but two D's and two F's). Those two semesters have precluded me from any hope of acceptance into medical school this year. So, that brings me to my question: In writing my personal statement for SMPs, should I focus on what I learned/how I matured from dealing with those health issues and how that relates to my desire to become a physician? Do I need to explain those semesters' grades, or should I instead focus on other things?

To give you some more context (pretty much the same as everyone else here lol):
cum gpa: 3.1
bcmp gpa: 2.9
MCAT: 31: 10 ps, 11 verbal, 10 bs
Downward/inconsistent trend in grades
1 good LOR right now, rest are bad
Some volunteering, some shadowing and lots of research-- all mostly in first 2 years of college
Some club involvement, minor leadership positions
Write about the stuff in red

Hello All,

wanted to know what my chances are of getting into a SMP, particularly Tufts, BU, UMDNJ. U Michigan, Georgetown, PCOM, Temple's ACMS, or RFUMS..
Stats: cGPA 3.13, sGPA 2.9 and I have not taken the MCAT or GRE yet. I will say that I had a bad second year due to illness and went up once I recovered; dean's list consistently. I addressed my drop in grades in my PS.
I have almost a decade of healthcare experience. I worked as a clinical lab assistant, a CNA in the ED, a psych tech, and now am a Clinical Research Coordinator at Mass General Hospital in Boston. I have tons of leadership experience and was active on campus during my undergrad years. I also have strong LORs and a good PS.
Without an MCAT or GRE - zero. So, until you get one of those, its kind of hard to speculate. However, your GPA is appropriate for most of them

What is the proper way to contact adcoms for SMPs? Would a letter of interest be helpful? Is calling and talking to adcom members appropriate or even possible? Is there anything else I can do to improve my chances of acceptance?
Not that I know of - a letter of interest wouldn't help if you've already applied. You could send an update letter if you've done something meaningful to update them on, but don't send it just begging for a spot

Hi All,

Wanted to say thanks for all the work that has been put into these forums as it has certainly helped. I wanted to get some advice on the situation I am currently in. I have applied to MD schools this round broadly (38 schools) after completing a MS in biotechnology, but so far have not gotten any positive response. As my uGPA is certainly the red flag of my application, I have been considering an SMP or science post-bacc classes. My stats:

BS neuroscience:
uGPA/sGPA: 2.62

MS Biotechnology:
cGPA: 3.91
sGPA: 4.0

29 MCAT, retook in July getting a 32 (10P, 10B, 12V)
8000+ hours of clinical experience in the OR of a level 1 trauma center, 1 year of neurosurgery research (no pubs), 2 international ENT volunteer trips, and Hospice Care.

I will be taking post-bacc classes this Spring to retake Ochem II as I did poorly in it previously and to take additional science courses. I will also be tutoring/mentoring, taking an ER research assitant position, and shadowing in a free clinic as these were recommended to me by the adcom at my hometown MD program. I am wondering what may give me the best chances of getting into an MD program (I have considered DO, but would like to exhaust my options for MD first). I have talked with admissions at many SMP programs and all have advised me to apply. Currently I have looked into BU, Tufts, Cinci, Toledo, EVMS, RFU, Drexel IMS, Temple, and Case's/Loyola's Med Physiology programs. I worry that even after completing one of these programs that my uGPA will still bar me from getting an MD acceptance, although I have talked with my state's MD programs and they both suggested that getting close to a 3.0 TOTAL cGPA would get me looked at in greater depth. I am currently at a 2.825 and doing well this Spring and in an SMP would push me over that 3.0 threshold.

Any advice would be appreciated and thank you in advance.

Do most people complete the SMP program and then apply to medical school or do they apply while taking the SMP? I ask because my MCAT will expire in a year from now. I have no desire to take the new MCAT and want to avoid it if at all possible. Would it be a waste of money to apply while taking the SMP? I've just been admitted into the Drexel IMS program.

Do you mind sharing your stats? I'm applying there
Do most people complete the SMP program and then apply to medical school or do they apply while taking the SMP? I ask because my MCAT will expire in a year from now. I have no desire to take the new MCAT and want to avoid it if at all possible. Would it be a waste of money to apply while taking the SMP? I've just been admitted into the Drexel IMS program.

Hi guys,

I have a cGPA of 3.55 and sGPA of ~3.3/3.4.
MCAT of 30 (fairly balanced)
a decent amount of ec/volunteer
and about 6 months of clinical work experience (ongoing)

Is an SMP the best way to go for me? I feel like i'm in between in the gray area. Would I be better doing 1 year of undergrad classes to boost up the GPA or a normal masters? Definitely looking into some SMPs but just want to be a 100% sure that my stats require an SMP

Thanks for your help.

suednym, have you applied before? Your stats are not bad, maybe on the lower end of accepted applicants, but if you apply widely and smart you should be able to get in somewhere. I'm not sure an SMP would be worth it because it might be unnecessary and it always have the potential to screw you if you don't kick ass in it. Are you planning on applying the next cycle?

Yes I have. Sadly no interviews. I was hoping to at least get an interview at some of my state schools but unfortunately not a peep. However, I'm not sure about reapplying this year since I don't have any significant changes in my app aside from work experience. Based on calculations I know that about a years worth of undergrad classes should get both my GPAs to 3.65. Hopefully I can get more feedback on my app from admissions.