The Official January 10, 2015 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jhakaasmaan

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, first time posting here and I thought I would go ahead a make a thread for those writing on this test date.

115 days out!

Members don't see this ad.

Nice congrats. That sounds pretty lucky to get a spot - particularly if you live in CA.

Guys, I am thinking of switching my MCAT date from November 7 to any dates in January. Please please please please please let me know if you are dropping your Jan spot. I am looking for centers in Ontario (preferably Toronto, Hamilton or Ottawa), but honestly, anything in Ontario would work! Thanks! :)

Hello, I am looking to register for any of the Jan spots, if anyone is dropping their spot please let me know anywhere around Virginia or Illinois. Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone, I'm excited to finally be taking the MCAT soon! I read so much about it and there's much anticipation I'm actually looking forward to it. Kind of weird but cool. I do feel a little pressure that if I do not get the score I want I will have to take the new MCAT. Like to avoid that if possible.

I'm following the S2Ned schedule and did not register for any classes this semester. So I have a completely clear schedule to focus on getting a good score. Although I did plan on volunteering at the local free clinic soon to get more clinical experience. The past month I self-taught A&P and the ochem 2 I was missing.

Good luck studying!

Last edited:
Just FYI that torrent is likely unauthorized material that is a copyright infringement on the publisher and authors.

As far as the practice tests, I have found the CBT versions purchased from AAMC to be invaluable. I think that preparing using the CBT tests as opposed to paper copies is a much better strategy. Taking the online tests allows you to experience the MCAT system and become comfortable with the format.

Thanks - just started day one of s2ned today - think I'm going to dialit down a llittle bit and really spend most of my time focusing on the prac problems (tough to balance classes with studying) How's it going for everyone?

Have you found a better way to break down answering the practice problems associated with the chapters you read? I find it kind of confusing to do 1/3 of the passages on one day, then the second 1/3 another day, etc. Maybe I'm making it more difficult than it is....or just being a baby.

Have you found a better way to break down answering the practice problems associated with the chapters you read? I find it kind of confusing to do 1/3 of the passages on one day, then the second 1/3 another day, etc. Maybe I'm making it more difficult than it is....or just being a baby.

Just kidding, I was being a baby. Mapped everything out in a Word document as far as chapter names, passage numbers and it's much easier to understand this way (document attached). It's only my first day on it, but it seems extremely thorough without the EK 1001 questions as it is. In his post, he highly recommends them, but makes a comment about not using them and just spreading out the BR questions. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• SN2 study schedule.docx
    185.9 KB · Views: 80
Yea this is not very straightforward. But I believe it's for good reason: to take advantage of the well-documented spacing effect.

On a similar note, why does S2Ned recommend doing passage 1, 4, 7 and not just passage 1, 2, 3 for the first 1/3? The passages don't appear to get progressively harder or anything. But maybe I am misunderstanding the instructions.

Are there any Jan test takers in the MD, NJ, PA, VA, NY...or anywhere nearby who are looking for an earlier test date? The Dec 6th test just opened up and I was hoping to coordinate with someone if they wanted to switch? I would be FOREVER grateful. I work full time so the Dec 6th test would be difficult to finish studying for! I'm pretty flexible (and can fly)--so if you are even further away and thinking of changing please let me know!!!

Anyone dropping their spot in Ontario, please let me know! PM me please..I would be forever grateful!!!

any one here taking it in Texas and willing to trade with me? I am taking it on the Jan 15th in Waco, the day I was avoiding because of other commitments.
I am pretty desperate. I am willing to pay.

Thank you

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone,
I just started studying again. I'm retaking the MCAT on Jan 10th (last one was May of 2014, and I just wanted to give myself a little break and saw that I shouldn't rush things). I got a 28 on my first one (10/7/11) and really want to focus on verbal. I just got through Physics Ch 1 again on TBR and got a 11/19 on the first section (one passage, I got a 1/7). I didn't get through all of TBR last time, and will this time. Good luck to everyone studying!

Yea this is not very straightforward. But I believe it's for good reason: to take advantage of the well-documented spacing effect.

On a similar note, why does S2Ned recommend doing passage 1, 4, 7 and not just passage 1, 2, 3 for the first 1/3? The passages don't appear to get progressively harder or anything. But maybe I am misunderstanding the instructions.

The 1,4,7 passage method is to get aspects of the whole chapter in practice. If you did 1, 2, 3 (like I did sometimes), you would just see the same or similar questions every time.

Re-taker here, scored 29 (10/9/10) the first time around using EK, doing the SN2ed schedule this time around. It is much more intense but does a great job of bringing it all together. Kind of hard to stay on schedule though.

Re-taker here, scored 29 (10/9/10) the first time around using EK, doing the SN2ed schedule this time around. It is much more intense but does a great job of bringing it all together. Kind of hard to stay on schedule though.

Can you post the material/details/schedule of your previous study routine that provided you with a balanced 29 on the real thing?

doing the SN2ed schedule this time around. It is much more intense but does a great job of bringing it all together. Kind of hard to stay on schedule though.
Hey there, what are you finding is the main barrier from you staying on schedule? Lack of sufficient time? I find SN2ed's work load to be mostly on par with a full load of science classes, maybe even less since there's no lectures or labs. If you didn't have sufficient free time I could see how this would be difficult though.

The biggest challenge for me so far has been reasoning through the tricky questions in 90 seconds or less. I'm naturally easy-going & slower paced, guess I just need to keep practicing under timed conditions. Also, I've been a bit frustrated at times by the ambiguity of what exactly I'm going to be tested on. BR questions can be a lot more encompassing & specific than AAMC's topic outline.

I also modified SN2 to fit my schedule with classes - it isn't doable as written unless it is your main focus IMO.

Welcome @madmuttal and good luck with your verbal.

Reactions: 1 user
I think I am going to start doing passages along with content review! Anyone else having a hard time going through the material and taking notes? I just get bored. I need questions to keep me focused.

What material are you using @Aspringphysician808 ?

The EK and TBR books I am using both have questions interspersed and after each topic.

And do you know your name is " A Spring Physician"? :)

I'm using some EK and practice from aamc. Doing too much content review close to the date is not good from what I understand

Well we are just under 3 months out - prime content review time!

Reactions: 1 users
What material are you using @Aspringphysician808 ?

The EK and TBR books I am using both have questions interspersed and after each topic.

I am using an older Princeton Review. PR has questions dispersed throughout the review book. There is probably three or so questions in each page that reinforce the material you just read. I usually get them right but probably because I just read about it. I also have EK review books and 1001 series and Kaplan section test. I think I am going to use EK chapter questions along with the Kaplan questions just to keep things going! I don't have TBR books. I've heard great things!

No, I didn't. Now I do! LOL.

Last edited:
I think I am going to start doing passages along with content review! Anyone else having a hard time going through the material and taking notes? I just get bored. I need questions to keep me focused.

The last time I tried to self-study, it was in January to take the April MCAT and I had to reschedule to this date. While studying then, I wrote a ton of notes, flashcards, etc. and didn't do very many practice questions. This time around I'm doing the SN2 study method so I have a schedule that I'm held accountable to for lazy days and I can track my progress. I especially like that the first few weeks have content review, which I'm rusty on, then follows with practice problems on the same day to really solidify the information.
Even if you don't do the SN2 schedule, map out your own using the materials you have. For example, after you finish content review, (say it takes you a month to get a good thorough read-through), then use the next month to do practice problems. 52 biological science questions on Monday and Wednesday with review/analysis, 52 physical science questions on Tuesday and Thursday with review, then 7 passages of verbal with review on Friday. This is just an example, of course, and I'm no expert (of course, again), but it really helps keep me from being bored reading and focused more on test-taking strategies.

The last time I tried to self-study, it was in January to take the April MCAT and I had to reschedule to this date. While studying then, I wrote a ton of notes, flashcards, etc. and didn't do very many practice questions. This time around I'm doing the SN2 study method so I have a schedule that I'm held accountable to for lazy days and I can track my progress. I especially like that the first few weeks have content review, which I'm rusty on, then follows with practice problems on the same day to really solidify the information.
Even if you don't do the SN2 schedule, map out your own using the materials you have. For example, after you finish content review, (say it takes you a month to get a good thorough read-through), then use the next month to do practice problems. 52 biological science questions on Monday and Wednesday with review/analysis, 52 physical science questions on Tuesday and Thursday with review, then 7 passages of verbal with review on Friday. This is just an example, of course, and I'm no expert (of course, again), but it really helps keep me from being bored reading and focused more on test-taking strategies.

I appreciate your advice! I had a productive day! I read a chapter (with ~ a page of notes) and did practice problems and couple passage problems. I went back and brushed up on content for the questions that I had missed and took notes if I needed to or I made flashcards (Anki). Like you said, it really helped to solidify the information! I also used the SN2 schedule as a template to make my own schedule based on my needs. How is studying going for you?

I appreciate your advice! I had a productive day! I read a chapter (with ~ a page of notes) and did practice problems and couple passage problems. I went back and brushed up on content for the questions that I had missed and took notes if I needed to or I made flashcards (Anki). Like you said, it really helped to solidify the information! I also used the SN2 schedule as a template to make my own schedule based on my needs. How is studying going for you?

Perfect, glad that's working out for you! The first week of SN2 has been rough, but productive as well. All the difficult questions in Berkeley Review take a hit on your confidence and self-esteem, but I'm getting better. 3 months of this stuff and I better be a machine, haha

The passages are quite hard, I concur.

I broke the SN2 plan and took AAMC 3 under testing conditions because I really wanted a standardized baseline.

Do you guys already have a "target" score in mind, or just as high as possible? I can't help having a goal, but I don't want to limit myself.

Can you post the material/details/schedule of your previous study routine that provided you with a balanced 29 on the real thing?

Sure! I have attached the excel file I made and followed. I added a lot of buffer days at the end in order to plan for unforeseen circumstances. I also reviewed the EK material with Audio Osmosis. In my opinion, EK is a bit too basic to score really high on the MCAT. I really recommend taking all the FL AAMC exams on the computer and NOT as a PDF. You want to mimic the test setting as much as possible.

Hey there, what are you finding is the main barrier from you staying on schedule? Lack of sufficient time? I find SN2ed's work load to be mostly on par with a full load of science classes, maybe even less since there's no lectures or labs. If you didn't have sufficient free time I could see how this would be difficult though.

The biggest challenge for me so far has been reasoning through the tricky questions in 90 seconds or less. I'm naturally easy-going & slower paced, guess I just need to keep practicing under timed conditions. Also, I've been a bit frustrated at times by the ambiguity of what exactly I'm going to be tested on. BR questions can be a lot more encompassing & specific than AAMC's topic outline.

The time issue is mostly due to other responsibilities. I work part time and am taking three classes this semester. I think I am going to have to sacrifice a bit of sleep, but it will be worth it.

Attachments

• MCAT Schedule 2013.xlsx
    16.3 KB · Views: 64
As a 21-25 y/o caucasian female, 28-29 would be my ideal score, anything higher is just a bonus, of course. I'm a realist.

Opened a business in January of this year, so my initial April MCAT was rescheduled to this date. Finally hired a general manager at the start of my studying so the business can sustain itself, while I still have an income and can study a solid 4-5 days per week.

Wow nice @TXhopeful. Impressive to have a business with employees so young.

Is that something that can sustain while you are in school?

I also modified SN2 to fit my schedule with classes - it isn't doable as written unless it is your main focus IMO.

Welcome @madmuttal and good luck with your verbal.

Hi Cawolf, I'm also attempting to do the SN2 schedule while taking a full courseload, any chance you'd be willing to share that modified schedule?

Hey @xxabi I don't think it would be much help.

I just deleted some things I am strong in and shuffled around the remaining days to fit into work, volunteering, and school.

Sure! I have attached the excel file I made and followed. I added a lot of buffer days at the end in order to plan for unforeseen circumstances. I also reviewed the EK material with Audio Osmosis. In my opinion, EK is a bit too basic to score really high on the MCAT. I really recommend taking all the FL AAMC exams on the computer and NOT as a PDF. You want to mimic the test setting as much as possible.

The time issue is mostly due to other responsibilities. I work part time and am taking three classes this semester. I think I am going to have to sacrifice a bit of sleep, but it will be worth it.

Ah thanks for posting that! My schedule is fairly similar. Do you take the aamc exams after ur EK content review? If so, can you post ur data on those? Also, do you feel you lacked content and is why you got a 29, or was it something else like not enough practice passages within EK prep?

Wow nice @TXhopeful. Impressive to have a business with employees so young.

Is that something that can sustain while you are in school?

Luckily, it is! I'm very fortunate that it's been so successful despite being a small business. Having great employees makes all the difference.

@xxabi Here are some suggestions on saving time.
On the days that we're scheduled to re-read all the chapters and do the EK 1001 questions corresponding to the BR chapters, you can omit doing them (unless you like EK), and fill those with the passages from the chapters you didn't have time to cover during the week?
Instead of completely re-reading the chapter on these days, I re-write my notes. For example, on my first read-through of a chapter, I'll take sloppy scribble notes in an ugly notebook while I'm reading since the reading, doing the example questions, then doing the passage questions takes long enough. Then, when I have the re-read days, I'll go through my sloppy notes and copy them more neatly into a new, different notebook with any extra material I find skimming through the chapter and the answer explanations. I like doing this because the repetition keeps the material fresh and I find lots of new notes to write if I didn't understand them the first time or I found something new in the answer explanations. (I have 4 notebooks, one for each subject and I do this for each of them)
Another thing I would suggest is just doing the EK Biology in-class lecture on that day without answering the BR biology questions. I've found that saves quite a bit of time.
Also, I review my answers the day of taking them and I take a FL (7 passages) practice verbal on my break days. Otherwise, SN2 would make for 8-10 hours of studying a day. Sorry, but I would burn out way too quickly that way.
I follow the "SN2 First Day" thread to get some moral support and ask how others modify their schedule. Hope this helps!

All the difficult questions in Berkeley Review take a hit on your confidence and self-esteem, but I'm getting better. 3 months of this stuff and I better be a machine, haha
Yea, first week was brutal but feeling better now that I'm seeing a little improvement. The key is going to be keeping it up for 12 more weeks! I keep telling myself it's just 3 months for something that will change the rest of my life.

One thing I've noticed is the BR questions have quite a habit about asking topics that are not covered until later chapters. For example there were 3 momentum questions in the initial two chapters but momentum isn't covered until chapter 4. I just skip those for now.

Second time through BR is not that easy either (though it has been a year). 11/19 for first physics chapter, 33/42 for first chem. Let's just keep struggling through, and we'll be better the second time around! This time around, I'm using BR for bio. I felt EK was too basic...

Second time through BR is not that easy either (though it has been a year). 11/19 for first physics chapter, 33/42 for first chem. Let's just keep struggling through, and we'll be better the second time around! This time around, I'm using BR for bio. I felt EK was too basic...

Did you try EK? If so, what was your score on actual exam?

This time around, I'm using BR for bio. I felt EK was too basic...
Yea EK seems to be known for being too easy/oversimplified. I specifically recall EK bio saying you don't need to memorize amino acid side chains then BR review passages will straight up ask you about them. The AAMC content outline doesn't specifically list this, although I've seen a few posts on here where people say they were asked very specific discrete questions about them on their MCAT.

I'm starting to think the AAMC content outline is a total red herring.

Considering this test is more critical thinking and analyzing passages more than anything, I figured using EK for content was fine b/c it gives you the basics? Did you take the actual mcat with just using EK? How did you do?

I haven't taken it yet but going off what others who have said I believe it's a mixture of reasoning and testing your knowledge. For example, someone posted they had a discrete question asking which amino acid was basic out of a list of amino acids. That's it, no other given info. So if you don't recall which ones are basic then no amount of critical thinking will help you.

I haven't taken it yet but going off what others who have said I believe it's a mixture of reasoning and testing your knowledge. For example, someone posted they had a discrete question asking which amino acid was basic out of a list of amino acids. That's it, no other given info. So if you don't recall which ones are basic then no amount of critical thinking will help you.

If they had the structures of the amino acids given, that would help out, but if there were only names then that's pretty crappy.

Might have been an experimental question for the Biochem questions for the new MCAT.

Hi everyone!

I'm a retaker and I just signed up for Jan 10 test in Arkansas. I will start studying from November...
I hope to do better this time around!

Did you try EK? If so, what was your score on actual exam?

I did well on the biological sciences section, but I attribute most of that success to my taking physiology 202 while studying as well as using the Princeton Review Hyperlearning Science Workbook. I got an 11 on BS, 10 on PS, and 7 on VR. It is totally fine using EK for bio. I would recommend it if you're pretty strong on BS. I personally didn't want to read the same things over again, and wanted to take a little bit of a different approach. If there's anything I would recommend for the BS section, it's to get the TPRH Science Workbook. I truly believe it helped me slow down and get stronger in the bio. (I was getting 8s and 9s on AAMC before using TPRH). The bio section is much more similar to verbal reasoning than the PS is.

Ah thanks for posting that! My schedule is fairly similar. Do you take the aamc exams after ur EK content review? If so, can you post ur data on those? Also, do you feel you lacked content and is why you got a 29, or was it something else like not enough practice passages within EK prep?

There's another Excel file with my scores. AAMC 10 and 11 were taken on the computer rather than PDF and most closely resembled the real thing. EK is just a bit too brief and does not tie concepts together like TBR does. The trick is to understand that chemistry, physics, orgo, and biology have many concepts that overlap.

Attachments

• AAMC Progress.xlsx
    14.1 KB · Views: 90
If anyone plans to drop for the Jan 10th day please please let me know. I'm retaking for the Sept 6th day!