*The Official January 2016 MCAT*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medaholic Dr

Houston, we've a problem !
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys,
I don't see any thread made for January 2016 MCAT test date, so I thought to create one. I'll be graduating by the end of this year and will be giving my MCAT on January 2016. I had my test date set for September of this year, but something came up and I won't be able to dedicate myself to studying for the MCAT fully. So, let us make this thread rich with all the discussions about the MCAT. Let us support each other and make taking MCAT a pleasurable experience, so I think. Let's go.......

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Coming Nov. 2015:

AAMC Practice Test #1 : 230 questions , scored
AAMC MCAT Q Bank: 300 NEW questions, including Psych

Source: AAMC website.

Reactions: 4 users
How far is everyone with studying? January feels like it's coming up soon. I know it sounds ridiculous but September feels like it's flying by.

I'm flying. That wasn't the case when I was doing content review slowly, allowing myself to get hung up on every little thing. If there's something I'm struggling with, I immediately Google around for tricks and hints.

I might be done w/ content review by next week. That leaves 4 months of passages, notecards, developing mnemonics, sketching out pathways, doing practice tests, and noticing patterns in questions I'm getting wrong.

How far is everyone with studying? January feels like it's coming up soon. I know it sounds ridiculous but September feels like it's flying by.

I'm almost half way done with content review. I've finished Chemistry and OChem completely, and half way through PSYC/SOC and Bio/Biochem. Haven't even cracked physics or C ARS, but I've only been doing about one chapter over 2 days (while working full-time) to really soak everything in. I hope to be done with content review by the beginning of November, so I can so focus on review and taking lots of practice test!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone! I was planning on taking an MCAT prep course in 2016 to prepare to take the MCAT sometime in May or April 2016. Problem is, I don't know which to sign up for... Princeton or Kaplan. Given the new MCAT, are there any recommendations on which is a better prep for the new MCAT? Any suggestions will help. In the meantime, I will be studying the BR books for the old MCAT. Thanks :)

Joining this thread as well. Re-taker from the August 6th exam

August 6th exam:
c/p=130
CARS=124
B/B=128
P/S=126
total=508

If anyone knows of any ways to significantly improve CARS I'm all ears. I've exhausted literally every source...EK101, TPR hyper learning, question packs, etc...so not quite sure what to do given I have around 3-4 months before I retake this beast. My best bet is probably Next step verbal workbook and just doing more full lengths?...but I feel like thats still very limited CARS practice. Should I read the economist? Novels?
Probably the best way to get better at CARS I think is to ask yourself why you're missing questions. It sounds like you've gotten plenty of practice with your current strategy, but maybe try doing something different. Do you read too fast? Misunderstand questions? Not getting the feel for the passage? Certain topics trip you up? Probably the most important thing to analyze is why you're missing questions, and be brutally honest with yourself!
Also I think it's good to realize that everything you need to answer the question is given in the passage. It's all there, you just need to find it, and digest the information in a meaningful way to answer the questions.
Hope that helps! I haven't gotten my scores back yet but had 92% correct on the AAMC FL CARS section so I guess I know something about CARS lol.

Best of luck on your retake, I'd kill for that C/P score!!

Is anyone getting the new Berkeley Review books? Specifically the Orgo (supposedly new passages) and the Psych ones?

I think I'm just going to get the Psych one, since I can't afford more things. Buying the psych one already is bothering me since Khan is free.

Joining the January MCAT crew!

Quick question - Is the only way to get all of the Kaplan FLs by taking the class?

Hey September taker here. If you register your Kaplan 7 book series online, you'll get access to 3 full lengths (Kaplan FL 1, 2, 3). I was told by one of the posters that those are the same ones offered in the Kaplan course. To get the rest of their FL's, you do have to register for the course.

Hope that helps :)

Hey September taker here. If you register your Kaplan 7 book series online, you'll get access to 3 full lengths (Kaplan FL 1, 2, 3). I was told by one of the posters that those are the same ones offered in the Kaplan course. To get the rest of their FL's, you do have to register for the course.

Hope that helps :)

Thank you @torontopharm ! That was super helpful! :)

Is anyone getting the new Berkeley Review books? Specifically the Orgo (supposedly new passages) and the Psych ones?

I think I'm just going to get the Psych one, since I can't afford more things. Buying the psych one already is bothering me since Khan is free.

Yeah, MIGHT buy the psych one, but my wallet says no to the orgo ones... :( I have the older TBR books so I might just use those for orgo.

I'm a bit weak in biology/biochemistry. Is khanacademy a good supplement to the review books in order to learn the content?

I would be interested in knowing this as well.

Hey @mcatsense ! check out the helpful response from @torontopharm just a few posts above. But here's a copy/paste of it for convenience :)

Hey September taker here. If you register your Kaplan 7 book series online, you'll get access to 3 full lengths (Kaplan FL 1, 2, 3). I was told by one of the posters that those are the same ones offered in the Kaplan course. To get the rest of their FL's, you do have to register for the course.​

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, if y'all are cash strapped like many of us are..
You can get..
TPR complete FL 1,2,3 + MCAT demo by registering the big TPR complete book online
TPR review test 1,2 + MCAT demo by registering any of the TPR individual subject books online
You can just find the ISBN #'s of the books off of Amazon/Ebay etc. and enter it to get it registered.
The "MCAT demo" full length might be the same test in both instances. The other's are all unique individual tests. So that's potentially 7 (or 6) more FL's you can get for free :) Now are these the same one's as offered in the TPR course? That i don't know.

Happy studying!

Joining here. Planning to take on January 22.
This will be my last attempt, I'm more determined than ever to prep and get a score that will get me accepted.
Took the AAMC practice FL just to see where I stand and scored C/P: 81% CARS: 68% B/B:73% P/S: 76% Total ~ 507
My reasonable goal is to hit atleast 85% in each section. Goal 512+
CARS will require the most improvement out of all the sections.

Lets do this fam. Cue high school musical "we're all in this together" ....

Reactions: 1 users
Hey @mcatsense ! check out the helpful response from @torontopharm just a few posts above. But here's a copy/paste of it for convenience :)

Hey September taker here. If you register your Kaplan 7 book series online, you'll get access to 3 full lengths (Kaplan FL 1, 2, 3). I was told by one of the posters that those are the same ones offered in the Kaplan course. To get the rest of their FL's, you do have to register for the course.​
Thanks! The january dates are out. Which date are you guys settling on and why?

I'm in as well. Been doing light content review since about May. Almost done with all content review now, and am considering enrolling in Kaplan's courses mainly for the practice questions and sample tests. Been looking at the Khan Academy stuff and it's been great reinforcing concepts I had forgotten from classes I've taken 2 or so years ago. I'm kind of glad I didn't rush it into like a 3 month program over the summer especially with the new test coming out back in April. Going to take it when I feel ready :D Good luck to you all!

Hey guys! I might be a January test taker. Recently found out im pregnant and will be 6 months in January. I figured i might as well go ahead and take the test in january. I will be due in May, plus the Mcat plus studying for finals. i might go insane. I also want to get my application in as soon as possible. i dont know how i will study for the test with a new born. If i dont do it in January then the next option is september which is really far for me. Wish everyone luck

Hi all, just starting to study for the Jan 2016 test, I will be using EK with BR passages, anyone in the same boat? Would like to find an online study group to keep me on schedule for the next 4 months.

Guys, I'm excited for you all and myself. The path to becoming a doctor is one hell of a journey but let's enjoy every bit of it.
New attitude: Mcat studying = fun (for now)
Idk, I'm just feeling pumped af and just want to get a decent score to get into medical school.

Let's do this fam.

Last edited:
Aug 21 retaker here:

126 C/P

124 CARS

126 B/B

124 P/S

I'm so motivated to kick this test's ass, it's ridiculous.

Planning retake January 22.

Coming Nov. 2015:

AAMC Practice Test #1 : 230 questions , scored
AAMC MCAT Q Bank: 300 NEW questions, including Psych

Source: AAMC website.

I should have voided and gone in more prepared. Oh well, I am going to destroy this test in January 22 (hopefully the test is scaled well). These are the materials I plan to use:

For C/P: AAMC, TPR , EK, and Kaplan (my exam was calculation heavy!)

For CARS: AAMC materials, TPR, EK and Kaplan (the more the merrier!) My CARS was low, and it was probably because I only spent ~5 weeks really studying for it. Plan to do 2-3 passages a day in October and spend 1-2 hours analyzing them.

For B/B: Blindsided by my score! I took Biochem 1, 2, and am currently taking Medical Biochem now. For this section: AAMC and EK (TPR and Kaplan were a bit too physiology and not enough biochem).

For P/S: AAMC Q Bank and KA vids (my test was literally experimental predictions based off of concepts, hopefully the AAMC has figured this section out by now!)

One piece of advice from someone who bombed: don't do things just to complete them. I posted a "Suicide Review" a while back and I found I was simply completing questions, not reviewing.

@itsallgood92 @Rishikish fellow august retaker here too. 503 overall: 127/123/126/127. 75% on AAMC FL. I think that it would be favorable to take it in January and I feel that it will be surprising how fast we remember concepts and terms. Still really bummed having to retake. I was expecting a 510 at least as I put in so many hours into this. Well, another journey begins again.

Hey guys! I might be a January test taker. Recently found out im pregnant and will be 6 months in January. I figured i might as well go ahead and take the test in january. I will be due in May, plus the Mcat plus studying for finals. i might go insane. I also want to get my application in as soon as possible. i dont know how i will study for the test with a new born. If i dont do it in January then the next option is september which is really far for me. Wish everyone luck

I took the MCAT in my 2nd trimester around 4.5 months. You should be ok around 6 months as you won't have to deal with too much morning sickness. If you are one of those lucky women that don't have to deal with the fatigue and nausea then you should be ok :) . Just be very disciplined through the first trimester if you do experience it. I wish you all the best, you will be fine and congrats. :)

Just took the test today and voided due to lack of knowledge in the chemistry and physics department. January 23!!!

starting to study for this exam again. I need of a study buddy or someone to motivate me :)

Hi all, just starting to study for the Jan 2016 test, I will be using EK with BR passages, anyone in the same boat? Would like to find an online study group to keep me on schedule for the next 4 months.

I see many people posting this combination and I'm curious as to what specific what passages you plan to do. If done right, this method is superb, but it requires a great deal of time spent reviewing questions and passages after you do them. Learning how to take the MCAT is key, and our passages are designed to be done in phases to build students up. If you just do them randomly, then you're missing out on a great deal of insight and effort on our part in terms of the optimal sequence for doing those passages.

I'm also curious why you're choosing not to use our reading sections (they come with the passages) to get some shortcuts (our specialty) and a great overview of how different topics combine together. With the MCAT as challenging as it is, and the large number of people having to repeat the exam because they weren't ready for the intensity and details of it (just look at the last few posts to see this), you should use review text that is based on questions and reasoning rather than lists of information to browse and lightly ponder.

I see many people posting this combination and I'm curious as to what specific what passages you plan to do. If done right, this method is superb, but it requires a great deal of time spent reviewing questions and passages after you do them. Learning how to take the MCAT is key, and our passages are designed to be done in phases to build students up. If you just do them randomly, then you're missing out on a great deal of insight and effort on our part in terms of the optimal sequence for doing those passages.

I'm also curious why you're choosing not to use our reading sections (they come with the passages) to get some shortcuts (our specialty) and a great overview of how different topics combine together. With the MCAT as challenging as it is, and the large number of people having to repeat the exam because they weren't ready for the intensity and details of it (just look at the last few posts to see this), you should use review text that is based on questions and reasoning rather than lists of information to browse and lightly ponder.

How would you recommend doing your Berkeley Review passages? Honestly I've just been doing them as mini practice exams. I split the 100 questions into 2 50 question sections (give or take), time myself and do them.

Hi everyone, quick question.. Is the September exam not considered to be within the same testing year as the January 2016 exam?
If you are talking about September 2015, then no, it is is not considered to be in the same testing year as Jan 2016. However, Sept 2016 would be in the same testing year as Jan 2016.

I think to best prepare for the January 2016 MCAT, there are a few essential things to do:
1) buy ALL the AAMC practice materials (packs, sample test, half length exam). I believe that in October or November, they will be releasing more practice for the 2016 MCAT year. Practicing all of the AAMC materials and REVIEW them; this will help you a tremendous amount. So I believe your best bet is AAMC first, then any other test prep you can afford (Princeton, Berkley, EK, Kaplan, etc)
2) I would also make sure to do some studying/reviewing EVERY single day - even if it's just for an hour or two. It allows you to build up stamina and you especially do not want to cram right before the exam. I think cramming will wear you out and you want to be energized the day of the real exam! Even taking off 5-7 days before your real exam day to do light review and other activities you enjoy will help you come into the MCAT feeling confident, ready, and prepared.
3) While going through content and practice, I would look for your weaknesses. I would try to figure out what you are specifically having difficulty with - is it reading the passages, the content, anxiety? Once you can narrow down where you need the most practice, I would make sure to incorporate it into your studying EVERY DAY.

There are obviously more things to consider when preparing for the MCAT than what I have mentioned, but I think at least starting with these 3 will be of great help!

August 21st re-taker!
123/123/127/128.. Ran out of time on C/P and had to guess on the last 12 questions blindly. I have also never taken ochem or biochem, but I will be taking ochem this semester! Disappointed with CARS because I was consistently scoring upper 70s.. Can't wait to redo this all again and put this one to rest in January! Good luck to everyone!

I'm almost half way done with content review. I've finished Chemistry and OChem completely, and half way through PSYC/SOC and Bio/Biochem. Haven't even cracked physics or C ARS, but I've only been doing about one chapter over 2 days (while working full-time) to really soak everything in. I hope to be done with content review by the beginning of November, so I can so focus on review and taking lots of practice test!!

You sound like you're off to a great start! However, I would make sure that rather than just reading through to incorporate some review and practice as well. I do not think studying all the content and then taking practice exams is the most efficient way to study for the MCAT since the MCAT now is mainly passage based and you need to know how to read those passages and use critical thinking. Doing a chapter a day and then some practice/review may help you narrow down which content you need to focus on. This way, when it comes to November, you will hopefully be better at taking practice tests and won't need as much review time.

I'm a bit weak in biology/biochemistry. Is khanacademy a good supplement to the review books in order to learn the content?

I found EK Bio Books 1 + 2 to be helpful. They have discrete questions throughout the chapter and a 30 minute practice quiz at the end of each chapter, which is relatively similar to what you'd see on the real MCAT. I believe Khan Academy does have similar practice passages, but I am not sure how good their content review videos are (I did not use them).

Was just going over activist social movements and this popped into my head...

Screen Shot 2015-09-25 at 10.59.24 AM.png

Since this is my retake, I'm going to stick with the EK 10 week schedule and supplement with KA vids and AAMC material on off days. It's convenient since I have school+a TA job, so it works for me.

Also an august re-taker joining the group and ready to achieve a much higher score! Anyone want to drop some knowledge on CARS for all ( study material, articles and so on) of us because I cant get past this section even though my reading speed is pretty good ( 4-5 mins to read 5 mins to answer questions)=10 mins per passage.
Going to post my score just so I can get a few pointers from the smart kids :bow:
C/P 125
CARS 122
BIO 125
P/S 123 ( think i was a fluke or a little over confidence because it was my strongest section throughout my entire prep)
Yes I know not that great but any type of help will benefit me. Thanks in advance

I would like to ask a quick question. I already have old TBR books, and I was planning to buy TBR's Psych/soc book. Do you think using the old material is going to be a problem for me?

Hey,
My friend bought the new TBR books so I had the chance to compare them and in terms of content there are very few major changes. I think you should be fine using the old books. Just supplement with Khan Academy if you find a topic that isn't covered well enough.

Hey,
My friend bought the new TBR books so I had the chance to compare them and in terms of content there are very few major changes. I think you should be fine using the old books. Just supplement with Khan Academy if you find a topic that isn't covered well enough.

Are the passages mostly the same?

Also to August test takers and everyone with info were you guys lucky/unlucky enough to get physiology on your exam. I'm hoping the test has physiology rather than just everything being biochemistry especially with the time I've spent on it. The outline is filled with physiology topics and finding out that some exams barely have had any really sucks.

Are the passages mostly the same?

Also to August test takers and everyone with info were you guys lucky/unlucky enough to get physiology on your exam. I'm hoping the test has physiology rather than just everything being biochemistry especially with the time I've spent on it. The outline is filled with physiology topics and finding out that some exams barely have had any really sucks.
From what I remember I don't remember seeing any physiology except the lungs and kidney? and that was maybe 2-5 questions at best. ALOT of Biochem.

Hi guys! I am looking to tackle the January 2016 test as well. Just graduated and taking some time off from school to do it right. Working a full time job and starting TPR MCAT Ultimate on October 3rd. Good luck studying!