*The Official January 2016 MCAT*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medaholic Dr

Houston, we've a problem !
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys,
I don't see any thread made for January 2016 MCAT test date, so I thought to create one. I'll be graduating by the end of this year and will be giving my MCAT on January 2016. I had my test date set for September of this year, but something came up and I won't be able to dedicate myself to studying for the MCAT fully. So, let us make this thread rich with all the discussions about the MCAT. Let us support each other and make taking MCAT a pleasurable experience, so I think. Let's go.......

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
From what I remember I don't remember seeing any physiology except the lungs and kidney? and that was maybe 2-5 questions at best. ALOT of Biochem.

Just depends on what exam you get. The aamc outline has so much physiology. Knowing that possibly barely any of it shows up is disheartening.

How are you studying biochem since it's so focused on.

Just depends on what exam you get. The aamc outline has so much physiology. Knowing that possibly barely any of it shows up is disheartening.

How are you studying biochem since it's so focused on.
I'm thinking about taking more practice test this time around ( the first time I took 6 im playing on doing 10-12), note cards ( amino acids) basically less content and more test and practice passages. I got a 125 on both chem and bio the first time so I guess i did something right :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello! I am planning on taking my exam in late January :) Preparing with Kaplan at home using the study books.
Taking 15 hours of upper levels, working full time and TAing bio.

Who is ready to dominate this thing???

I'd also recommend buying all of the AAMC material since that is most similar to what you will see on the actual MCAT exam. They have sample tests, question packs, and a review book of all the material that can appear on the exam.

I am not a retaker, I'm a no-shower. Was set to take it on the 12th but "life" intervened.

My plan is this:

• Have registered for the Kaplan advanced course (those already above 500+ on diagnostic, FL, or real thing)
  • Review all content using the AAMC q-packs - anything I don't know cold, will be reviewed
  • Submitting materials to the AAMC to help others with the biochemistry; currently, I'm trying to find a good Mac based platform on which to draw and record
  • AAMC FL - Real Practice test, gleaned from former 2015 tests - is released in October; will take that in mid-November
  • FL every week until January 16; that will be my last FL and it will be the other AAMC released FL
Putting enough $$ away to not have to work for the 2 weeks prior to exam.

And then? I'm going to nail the sucker. To a tree with a sign that says, "HELL YEAH!" :soexcited:

Who's with me?!

Reactions: 2 users
I am definitely planning to try and take as many full lengths as possible. I have been out of school for a few years, so I have been doing some pretty serious content review for about a month now because I could not remember even the most simple things from chem/physics! I am going to take my first full length this week (never took a diagnostic), just to see how it goes. I am actually going to use some of the old MCAT FLs just for test practice... it has been almost 7 years since I took any kind of standardized exam lol :( Definitely looking to finish up this content review and just practice, practice, practice.

A question though... is anyone using EK? I really like the books because they leave out a lot of the unnecessary bs and details and focus on main ideas, but I am a little worried about the psych/soc book. I am only a few chapters in, but it all seems like such common sense/general knowledge for the most part.... it seems too good to be true... lol anyone else find this?

@Ad2b, this is a solid plan indeed! I recently finished the September 23 MCAT and I can say that all sections, except 1, very much mirrored the difficulty and question types of the AAMC FL and OG. ! You January takers will also benefit from a some additional review materials that are soon to be released by AAMC!

If you devote your time towards understanding why the right answer is right and, more importantly, why the wrong answer is wrong on your practice tests, you will perform very well on test day! Also, try to be as confident as possible. Many people answer incorrectly because they are nervous/anxious and end up misreading or misinterpreting the question. Take a few deep breaths beforehand, tell yourself that you will perform well and go for it!

Reactions: 2 users
@Rabu4 - which section did not? Psy/soc?

@narvik2016 - I have heard mixed things about EK depending on section which is true for every prep company out there. The best thing you can do is practice exams from any publisher (and yes, you will likely suck on them as we ALL do!!!) but using that to figure out where you're weak and/or right, will help you come test day. From the many threads I've read, Kaplan makes you feel so stupid walking in that the real exam seems like a midterm in intro bio ;) not really but somewhat

Reactions: 1 user
@Rabu4 - which section did not? Psy/soc?

No, it was CARS. It started off well then gradually got worse and worse. Just hoping for the best with this section. Pysch/Soc was also challenging, but a lot of questions can be based on research hypothesis/design which are easier to answer for me.

thanks! @Rabu4 - I do well in CARS so am hopeful that will carry through; have time now to polish psy/soc :) good luck to you!!

I am not a retaker, I'm a no-shower. Was set to take it on the 12th but "life" intervened.

My plan is this:

• Have registered for the Kaplan advanced course (those already above 500+ on diagnostic, FL, or real thing)
  • Review all content using the AAMC q-packs - anything I don't know cold, will be reviewed
  • Submitting materials to the AAMC to help others with the biochemistry; currently, I'm trying to find a good Mac based platform on which to draw and record
  • AAMC FL - Real Practice test, gleaned from former 2015 tests - is released in October; will take that in mid-November
  • FL every week until January 16; that will be my last FL and it will be the other AAMC released FL
Putting enough $$ away to not have to work for the 2 weeks prior to exam.

And then? I'm going to nail the sucker. To a tree with a sign that says, "HELL YEAH!" :soexcited:

Who's with me?!
Hey! What are the AAMC Q-packs?! Is this something new? Or are you talking about the content outlines?

Thanks!

@frosted_flake - the question packs are AAMC released material that you can buy from AAMC :) They are about 3 hours long and focus each 3 hour section on a specific area (psy/soc, CARS, 2 bios, etc).

AAMC%2B2015%2BQ-Packs.jpg

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Greetings,
Planning to sign up for the Mcat Jan 23rd! I want to give myself a solid 3-4 months to prepare intensely (which means I officially start my study schedule tomorrow!) There so many study schedule recommendations, SNd2, mcatjelly, etc...I know not one schedule fits all, I would like to hear from working students and what a typical study day looks like for you so far? I have my ideas for a study schedule which is to combine different styles and create a hybrid of a couple schedules I've seen on SDN. Thanks for your input and time. Look forward to sharing this journey with you all!
Best,
Future Podiatrist

This is my schedule for the January 2015 exam (which I did not take). I will follow something similar to it for the January 2016 exam (which I will take).

I have trimmed back work to 35 hours, instead of 45 but I've also added a UD biology course. In my files, I may have one for the current process. What lessons were learned?

Take a day and do nothing related to school, work, or "thinking" - volunteer, go to a sporting event, a concert, do something/anything else.

Attachments

• Kaplan Calendar.xlsx
    169 KB · Views: 91
Officially joining you guys this January!! I'm starting to study hardcore tomorrow...Excited to get this test over and done with!

MCAT January 23rd 2016 here I come. Started studying today. Did the whole "intro to the MCAT" portion of the AAMC Official MCAT ebook and I'm planning on taking the Next Step half diagnostic tonight!

What are you guys using for science practice and CARS practice?

CARS- I am using the old EK 101 Verbal Passage Book & also the old TPR verbal book... also whatever is in my EK reasoning skills book (some 30-min verbal practices at end I believe)

Science- EK 30 min. exams, Khan Academy passages, old AAMC FLs... and probably any other AAMC stuff (like the question packs or questions from the official guide) & maybe some passages from the old BR books

Finally decided to get this exam done. I'm currently in TPR course and probably going to supplement it with some NextStep material.

Joining you guys in this journey.

Any ideas when test date registration should open? I know it's sometime in late October last time I checked.

CARS- I am using the old EK 101 Verbal Passage Book & also the old TPR verbal book... also whatever is in my EK reasoning skills book (some 30-min verbal practices at end I believe)

Science- EK 30 min. exams, Khan Academy passages, old AAMC FLs... and probably any other AAMC stuff (like the question packs or questions from the official guide) & maybe some passages from the old BR books

Are EK 30 min exams online based? Or based out of a book you must order?

I was originally planning on self studying, but after having tried to begin studying for the MCAT since July with no success, I'm thinking of enrolling in a class instead. A bit about my situation: I'm currently working full time at an internship this semester, and will be back in classes next semester. I feel like taking the MCAT in January is the best time for me because classes get very busy and I'm not sure how much studying I could really dedicate for the MCAT while in classes. The problem is that the best TPR class for me (10/20/15 – 12/29/15) is from 7-10 PM on Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays – except that I already know I can't make the Tuesday classes because I have a meeting scheduled during that time. So, I feel like it wouldn't necessarily be worth paying for classes if I can't make 25% of them?

Then, I thought about taking the Self-Paced course instead, which is cheaper but still more structured than free studying and has more flexibility. Do y'all think it would be worth it? Most of the appeal comes from the ready-made class schedule, diagnostic tests, and extra question bank passages. I do already have a full set of TPR, TBR, and ExamKrackers 1001 passages so I'm feeling a bit ambivalent on what to do. Any thoughts?

With Kaplan, you can call in and make up the class. It's possible TPR does the same thing.

So I'm a retaker from 9/23. I feel like my scores won't be enough (was aiming at 510), so January 2016 it is.
My AAMC FL was C/P 78% CARS 81% B/B 58% (weakest section for me) P/S 63%
I felt in general AAMC FL was representative of real exam, with real exam been a bit harder or it just seems so under stress of real exam.
I am wondering how to prepare for Bio section that has lots of experimental passages? I already took Kaplan course and it was helpful, but didn't prepare well for such experimental passages on B/B section. Kaplan's Bio section is more geared toward discrete questions and passages are more straightforward than they were on 9/23 exam. Is Khan Academy or something else more representative with regards to Bio section? What's the best prep for Bio currently available or most representative? Thank you.

Hey all,

I am new to posting on this forum, but looking to share in this experience of tackling this exam together. So lets do this!

I am starting off with review of Biochem for at least 2 weeks...just reading over the notes on Biochem, since its been such a long time ago that I took this class.

Hey guys. I will be taking the Jan 22 MCAT. I have the TPR self paced course. I started studying early. All of August, I read through all the TPR books. Ever since then I have been following the 4 month schedule. It's been hard with other classes, but I'm pushing through it. I can't wait for classes to be done in early December so I can hammer down on passages for a month straight. Practice tests have been decent so far. On the TPR test I got a 495 without much studying. I'm shooting for a 503 so I can get into my local MD school. Good luck to you all. We can do it. Embrace the grid

Hey guys. I will be taking the Jan 22 MCAT. I have the TPR self paced course. I started studying early. All of August, I read through all the TPR books. Ever since then I have been following the 4 month schedule. It's been hard with other classes, but I'm pushing through it. I can't wait for classes to be done in early December so I can hammer down on passages for a month straight. Practice tests have been decent so far. On the TPR test I got a 495 without much studying. I'm shooting for a 503 so I can get into my local MD school. Good luck to you all. We can do it. Embrace the grid

Which local MD school? just curious, what is their stat profile for OOS applicants?

Last edited:
Which local MD school? just curious, what is their stat profile for OOS applicants?
I'm in a bit of a weird situation. I'm already accepted to the school through an early acceptance program where you apply for MD school after your second year of your undergrad. I need a 503 to keep my acceptance for when I graduate.

If you want the exact school name PM me. They have an average MCAT of ~30 and GPA of 3.6. Only about 30% of the class profile is OOS

So my study schedule for content review so far consists of focusing on one topic a day for review, followed by tons of practice passages for said topic. I'm alternating between bio, Chen, psych/soc, Orgo, and Physics.

I'm combining that with 2 cars passages to review per day. Anyone else following a similar plan? I plan on starting FL practice once I'm done with content review and practice.

I've been at it for a few weeks now and am finally starting to hit my stride. I took the test once before, with the old scoring style that I miss by the way, and have been fighting ambivalence the first two weeks. What has really helped is the new focus on biochemistry and having a new section to study.

I am using the SN2ed method again, with a few modifications. It worked magic once, so I'm counting on it to carry me to a 318 to 320 this time. I got the new OC/BC books from TBR, the Psych/Soc books from EK and TBR, an old verbal from TPR, an old verbal from EK, the old physics from TBR, and will likely replace my TBR general chemistry with new ones if they fall apart (my current ones are used a few times over).

So far I am happy with everything and feel it's a perfect balance of review with application. The passages have been going surprisingly well (I thought for sure I would have forgotten most of my material). I love the way the books present the concepts and apply them to different subjects. I tend to learn best that way and the MCAT is about doing that.

How many others are using the SN2ed plan?

Hey for those retaking here, how do you plan on tackling the MCAT again?

I'm particularly having trouble with figuring out how to improve CARs and B/B. Anyone have tips on what sources to use and how to use them?

For my first attempt, I used TPR B/B book with TBR Bio Book II with topics I felt weren't well covered in TPR's book. I felt I knew a lot more Bio than I previously have but I had trouble tackling passages and certain topics such as microbiology.
For CARs, I used TPR/EK(briefly)/AAMC. I was scoring significantly higher on practice tests than how I scored on the real test.

I may start prepping again in 2 weeks and I wanted to know how to better approach preparation for both these sections.

I'm particularly having trouble with figuring out how to improve CARs and B/B. Anyone have tips on what sources to use and how to use them?

For my first attempt, I used TPR B/B book with TBR Bio Book II with topics I felt weren't well covered in TPR's book. I felt I knew a lot more Bio than I previously have but I had trouble tackling passages and certain topics such as microbiology.
For CARs, I used TPR/EK(briefly)/AAMC. I was scoring significantly higher on practice tests than how I scored on the real test.

I may start prepping again in 2 weeks and I wanted to know how to better approach preparation for both these sections.

You didn't find TBR passages helpful? They are real tough. Try maybe the Khan Academy passages for Bio. I hear since they are experimental they are helpful. I've been doing them, but I don't know how helpful they are since I haven't taken the real one. And for Cars just do more practice since you said you did it breifly.

If you were doing much better in practice tests what threw you off during the real exam? Was it nerves?

Did you buy the AAMC q-packs? I am going to go through them thoroughly. While not a retaker, I was ready to take it on 9/12 and then bailed (serious family medical issues). It seems/feels like I'm redoing this.

I'm a Sept. 23-er and didn't get my score back yet so take it for what it's worth. For Bio, i'd recommend Khan Passages!! Couple of the Bio passages from my MCAT were eerily similar to the Khan passages. Some of the KA passages are too easy and others are really hard. I still thought they get you in the "experimental" mode well.
No idea about CARS. I suck at it. I pretty much accepted that i'll never get above 125 on it.

Reactions: 3 users
Other than AAMC, what practice exams are you guys using? I'm debating between gold standard and Princeton?

I'm taking the Princeton Review course, so I'll probably use all of those practice tests available. Everyone seems to say that EK is the most representative after the AAMC's (they're coming out with another one, for a total of two), and if I still have time I might buy TBR's as well, because their tests used to be really great.

Registration opened at 7 AM today! My pre-health adviser told us all to expect it to open around 8-9:30 AM, so I was trying to get to work early so I could obsessively check Twitter when I got an email from The Princeton Review of all places. I got in line around 7:50 and the wait was about 12 min with ~1100 people ahead of me. I got my second choice center, which I'm pretty happy about because Boston is such a pre-med Mecca. All set for the 1/23 exam :eek::confused::arghh:

Reactions: 1 users
It's official, January 23rd test date in Fort Lauderdale, FL! Anyone else register in South Florida? Also, get your seat now while you can! Wait time was approx 11mins and had about 900 people in front of me.

Jan 22nd spot secured. It gets me pumped to take this thing! Can't wait for February 23rd!

Registering this time was way easier than last time. I have a date with the MCAT on the 22nd. I'm actually energized to study. Back to amino acids I go; I love how easy pI is.

Other than AAMC, what practice exams are you guys using? I'm debating between gold standard and Princeton?

I'm using TBR and EK for review, so I plan to start with their exams. I'll probably finish with AAMC and TPR. Doing tests from multiple sources is a good idea.