The Official January 23, 2015 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cjcarter

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Figured I'd start a thread for the last ever test day of the current MCAT. I'm dreading studying but I should probably start soon. Who else is taking this day?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
For those of you balancing work and/or class with studying, how are you organizing your study time? I really want to be able to stick to a consistent study schedule, but it's hard when I'm juggling so many different things.

By cutting out all semblance of a social life... Haha. In all seriousness, I'm still figuring that part out. I'm trying to commit to coming home from work each day and working until around midnight, and making myself get up early on the weekends to give myself full days of studying.

If you get any good tips, let me know!

Reactions: 1 user
By cutting out all semblance of a social life... Haha. In all seriousness, I'm still figuring that part out. I'm trying to commit to coming home from work each day and working until around midnight, and making myself get up early on the weekends to give myself full days of studying.

If you get any good tips, let me know!

I second that ! Man I know it sounds so lame to have to cut out social stuff but when you are studying for class plus the MCAT, sacrifice is the name of the game. Although you do need breaks obviously so don't cut it out completely. Taking breaks has helped me avoid burnout and I mean during the day. Walk around etc get some vitamin D. And keeping an hourly schedule has helped me stay on top of all my activities and make sure I get everything in I need to that day.
It sucks but it will be over soon and you only get one shot, so why half way do it ya know? I'm in the library on a Friday cause I went to the state fair last weekend so I try to balance it out. I'm aiming for a 33-34

For all the Jan 23rd test-takers, aren't any of you worried that something might happen on test day that forces you to void your test? (falling sick, computer breaks down, weather problems cause testing center to close, etc…) Since this is the last day ever to take the old MCAT, there are absolutely no other options either!

I'm taking mine on Jan 8th and I'm still worried! I originally felt like I could always sign up for another jan date real quick if something happened, but now I'm not sure if there will be any options other than guam =(

Members don't see this ad :)
For all the Jan 23rd test-takers, aren't any of you worried that something might happen on test day that forces you to void your test? (falling sick, computer breaks down, weather problems cause testing center to close, etc…) Since this is the last day ever to take the old MCAT, there are absolutely no other options either!

I'm taking mine on Jan 8th and I'm still worried! I originally felt like I could always sign up for another jan date real quick if something happened, but now I'm not sure if there will be any options other than guam =(

Well NOW I am.

But no, there's no use worrying about something you have absolutely no control over. Plus, that's true for everyone taking the old test now, not just us, since all the test dates are full.

Reactions: 2 users
Starting to study in T-minus 10 seconds...

Planning on following SN2's schedule but instead I'll be using EK for ALL my readings followed by TBR for passages. I'll get through the reading portion of the schedule much quicker this way. I want to jump into FL's, post gaming, and
identifying weaknesses by two months out.

Let the games begin!

Figured I'd start a thread for the last ever test day of the current MCAT. I'm dreading studying but I should probably start soon. Who else is taking this day?
i'm looking for a study partner. anyone is up for it ?

Okay forget saving time using EK readings for TBR 1/3rd passages... Chemistry wrecked me yesterday.

TBR readings on the other hand are golden... aced physics CH #1 1/3rd passages tonight.

What I found really useful:

Write down TBR's tips and tricks on a piece of paper as you read the chapter. For example, I wrote down kinematic equations, free fall table, sin cos tan table, ****Range projectile equation (why didn't I have this in undergrad!!)****and a projectile diagram with ratios of height to range at any given angle.

If you're confident enough to be able to replicate this cheat sheet come test day during your 10 minute tutorial... Use it during the timed 1/3rd passages.

Obv don't get carried away with how much information you think you can regurgitate from memory come test day. But with tons of simple repetition I think anyone can regurgitate a huge load of formulas, tables, and diagrams in 10 minutes.

Reactions: 2 users
Okay forget saving time using EK readings for TBR 1/3rd passages... Chemistry wrecked me yesterday.

TBR readings on the other hand are golden... aced physics CH #1 1/3rd passages tonight.

What I found really useful:

Write down TBR's tips and tricks on a piece of paper as you read the chapter. For example, I wrote down kinematic equations, free fall table, sin cos tan table, ****Range projectile equation (why didn't I have this in undergrad!!)****and a projectile diagram with ratios of height to range at any given angle.

If you're confident enough to be able to replicate this cheat sheet come test day during your 10 minute tutorial... Use it during the timed 1/3rd passages.

Obv don't get carried away with how much information you think you can regurgitate from memory come test day. But with tons of simple repetition I think anyone can regurgitate a huge load of formulas, tables, and diagrams in 10 minutes.
Read my mind, I copied all my difficult to remember physics formulas directly from the tpr book and wrote it every day until I committed it to memory. I was able to then take 5 minutes and jot it down during my first write in august.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Hi guys. I'll be taking the exam on Jan 23. I try not to think about the worst when it comes to the test date. I want to take it and have it be the LAST time!

Still haven't started studying yet...helppppp
Don't fret, we're still more than three months out! Maybe make a solid study plan starting October 23? I was having trouble getting going until I worked out a plan for myself. It's pretty daunting starting out, so establishing some sort of structure was helpful for me.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was signed up for the January 15th date, but got an email from prometric this morning saying that my test appointment was "cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances"

Luckily, after lots of freaking out and being on the phone/on hold with prometric for multiple hours they were able to find a seat for me within a 3hr driving distance on Jan 23rd!

I'm relieved, but also a little bit sad b/c I really wanted to take the afternoon exam. I get up for work every morning, but I am definitely NOT a morning person. I guess I'm going to have to start training myself to wake up early and be sharp by 8am, anyone else a little worried about that?

I was signed up for the January 15th date, but got an email from prometric this morning saying that my test appointment was "cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances"

Luckily, after lots of freaking out and being on the phone/on hold with prometric for multiple hours they were able to find a seat for me within a 3hr driving distance on Jan 23rd!

I'm relieved, but also a little bit sad b/c I really wanted to take the afternoon exam. I get up for work every morning, but I am definitely NOT a morning person. I guess I'm going to have to start training myself to wake up early and be sharp by 8am, anyone else a little worried about that?
Holy ****, glad everything worked out.

Setting up my study schedule on Sunday when I get a break from school and work. Any other tips on how you guys are going about balancing school, work, and MCAT prep? Granted I only work part-time, I wish I didn't have to.

Holy ****, glad everything worked out.

Setting up my study schedule on Sunday when I get a break from school and work. Any other tips on how you guys are going about balancing school, work, and MCAT prep? Granted I only work part-time, I wish I didn't have to.
I've been setting aside Friday through Sunday for MCAT studying. I find it easier to study when I can focus just on that for long periods of time, which I can't do very well during the school/work week.

I've been setting aside Friday through Sunday for MCAT studying. I find it easier to study when I can focus just on that for long periods of time, which I can't do very well during the school/work week.
I'm going to be doing something similar. Maybe 2-3 hours of studying on the weekdays and 4-5 on the weekends.

I'm going to be doing something similar. Maybe 2-3 hours of studying on the weekdays and 4-5 on the weekends.

That's pretty much what I'm doing too. 3 or so hours in the evenings when I get home from work, and then as much as I can stand on Saturday and Sunday

So, woe is me. I took the MCAT in April without much prep, thinking I was some sort of prodigy and got a measly 18. Phys 5, Verbal 10, Bio 3. yup a 3 in bio. So I decided to take the EK prep course and spent my summer studying. I retook the exam on sept 4th and got a 25. Phys 9, Verb 10, Bio 6. What really sucks is that I felt soooo good coming out of the sept 4th exam. But to be honest, in all of my AAMC practice tests, I was a solid 24-26. So, just in case you guys were wondering, those tests are a pretty good indicator of what you're gonna get....esp AAMC #11. I got a 25 on that one and low and behold I got a 25 on the real MCAT. So, in desperation, I registered for the last date in jan to retake the exam for the last time in my life, because after this I AM NOT TAKING THE NEW MCAT. Most med schools wouldnt consider you if you took it more than 3 times anyway. Guys, you need to be SOLID in your content and thats only half the struggle. The other half is figuring out where they're gonna trick you. THEY WILL TRICK YOU. In hindsight, I felt good coming out of the exam because I guess the questions I got wrong, were the ones I was sure I got correct, but MCAT knows that and they add in one little detail you might have missed which would change the entire answer. Its hard, because time is against you. So its a matter of knowing your content (inside out), pacing yourself (and in that I mean if you are spending too long on a passage...MOVE ON...MCAT puts some easy stand alone questions coming to the end because they know alot of people will run out of time and not even get to it.), and practicing soooo many questions that you know most of the possible tricks per topic. I am from Florida, and had to register for an exam in some place called Vestal, NY. I have no clue where that even is. But oh well, YOLO. lol Good luck to all of you.

Anyone flying out to Toronto, eh?

Also, any one way out of the pre-reqs? I haven't seen Gchem in four years but it's actually very math heavy so its going ok. Bio on the other hand not so much. Chads are really helping for any non trads seeking help..

So I'm pretty sure I am giving up my January 23rd test date in Baltimore, MD. There is just no way I can study correctly for this with all my obligations and personal goals.

The only stipulation is that I am trying to sell my books from the TPR and the online access with all the AAMC test, self assessment, and about 10 TPR tests before I do this so my monetary loss is not so severe. ( I spent $2000 for the course).

PM me for details, I have a for sale ad under a different account.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/sn2-complete-book-set-and-other-goood-prep-material.1104084/

NO I AM NOT TRYING TO SELL MY SEAT.

TBR Ochem chapter 1 took me almost 4 hours to finish reading. Jesus lol

Passage 1: 7/8 (jumped for joy)

Passage 2: 2/7 (made me think passage 1 was a fluke)

Passage 3: 7/7 (made me think passage 2 was the actual fluke)

Passage 4: 2/7 (didn't know what to think here lol)

The two passages I did bad on covered acidity strength. Happy to see that correlation.

I highly doubt I will reread all the chapters again for the re-read day. I'll probably just redo 1st and 2nd 1/3rd passages to see if I'm learning from my mistakes.

Can anyone explain this question? EK Bio, p. 107, # 83:

Cell membrane becomes suddenly impermeable to K+ ions but retains active Na+/K+ -ATPase
What happens to neuron's resting potential?

Answer: Become more positive because K+ ion conc. increases inside the neuron

EK Forum explanation: (... )resting potential is a steady-state condition set by the Sodium-potassium pump, as well as many other processes working against it. All of these other systems are also still at work in this scenario; only the passive potassium permeability was lost. Thus, a new steady-state would be achieved to account for this loss of potassium leakage.

Thanks.. I am confused because I think the resting potential becomes negative. If the cell membrane is impermeable to K+, 3 Na+ will continue to leave the cell while K+ is in greater concentration outside of the cell.

So, woe is me. I took the MCAT in April without much prep, thinking I was some sort of prodigy and got a measly 18. Phys 5, Verbal 10, Bio 3. yup a 3 in bio. So I decided to take the EK prep course and spent my summer studying. I retook the exam on sept 4th and got a 25. Phys 9, Verb 10, Bio 6. What really sucks is that I felt soooo good coming out of the sept 4th exam. But to be honest, in all of my AAMC practice tests, I was a solid 24-26. So, just in case you guys were wondering, those tests are a pretty good indicator of what you're gonna get....esp AAMC #11. I got a 25 on that one and low and behold I got a 25 on the real MCAT. So, in desperation, I registered for the last date in jan to retake the exam for the last time in my life, because after this I AM NOT TAKING THE NEW MCAT. Most med schools wouldnt consider you if you took it more than 3 times anyway. Guys, you need to be SOLID in your content and thats only half the struggle. The other half is figuring out where they're gonna trick you. THEY WILL TRICK YOU. In hindsight, I felt good coming out of the exam because I guess the questions I got wrong, were the ones I was sure I got correct, but MCAT knows that and they add in one little detail you might have missed which would change the entire answer. Its hard, because time is against you. So its a matter of knowing your content (inside out), pacing yourself (and in that I mean if you are spending too long on a passage...MOVE ON...MCAT puts some easy stand alone questions coming to the end because they know alot of people will run out of time and not even get to it.), and practicing soooo many questions that you know most of the possible tricks per topic. I am from Florida, and had to register for an exam in some place called Vestal, NY. I have no clue where that even is. But oh well, YOLO. lol Good luck to all of you.

Just wanted to say that even though your first exam didn't go well, your verbal was great for not having prepped much!! You even have time to improve it some more before your next attempt. Seems like you have solid reading comprehension skills, and not having to worry about the verbal section too much is a great advantage so you can focus on the sciences. Your physics also went up a good amount between your tests, that's awesome. Keep up the studying and you'll definitely raise that score as well.

For bio, my advice would be to do plenty of practice passages that involve experiments or the ones where you have to keep track of different enzymes/hormones/whatever and what happens when they bind/don't bind or if an inhibitor is added. Hope that makes sense haha. Once I figured out how to tackle those passages and not get overwhelmed about all the interactions happening, my score increased and I went into that section feeling much more confident. I spent some time doing passages like those untimed, just to get a feel for those types of passages and figure out a plan for how I was going to keep everything straight during the real thing. I like to jot notes down so I don't have to go back and look stuff up. Just something short like "X binds to Y --> Z increase --> whatever an increase in Z does" "A inhibits Y --> Z decrease --> whatever a decrease in Z does".

Anyways, just wanted to offer some words of encouragement. You're on the right track and no doubt that if you keep up the studying you'll do great in January.

Just wanted to say that even though your first exam didn't go well, your verbal was great for not having prepped much!! You even have time to improve it some more before your next attempt. Seems like you have solid reading comprehension skills, and not having to worry about the verbal section too much is a great advantage so you can focus on the sciences. Your physics also went up a good amount between your tests, that's awesome. Keep up the studying and you'll definitely raise that score as well.

For bio, my advice would be to do plenty of practice passages that involve experiments or the ones where you have to keep track of different enzymes/hormones/whatever and what happens when they bind/don't bind or if an inhibitor is added. Hope that makes sense haha. Once I figured out how to tackle those passages and not get overwhelmed about all the interactions happening, my score increased and I went into that section feeling much more confident. I spent some time doing passages like those untimed, just to get a feel for those types of passages and figure out a plan for how I was going to keep everything straight during the real thing. I like to jot notes down so I don't have to go back and look stuff up. Just something short like "X binds to Y --> Z increase --> whatever an increase in Z does" "A inhibits Y --> Z decrease --> whatever a decrease in Z does".

Anyways, just wanted to offer some words of encouragement. You're on the right track and no doubt that if you keep up the studying you'll do great in January.
Thank you so much! and you're right....i consistently get those darn experiment questions wrong....like i overthink it. Its really hard juggling studying for the MCAT and having a full time career - I evaluate high school teachers. Yeah, I'm in my late twenties and medicine will be a second career. Thanks for the encouragement :)

That moment when…You finally get a perfect score on a physics section. 3 years since seeing this stuff and It's slowly getting better. +1 for confidence!

MCAT is bae <3

And just like that Physics knows when to put you in your place lol. did horrible on the second physics section. arg I wish I would have known I wanted to be a doc when I was still in undergrad. #nosleep

And just like that Physics knows when to put you in your place lol. did horrible on the second physics section. arg I wish I would have known I wanted to be a doc when I was still in undergrad. #nosleep
I'm doing kinematics problems and my brain is melting. I've seen these types of problems so many times and it still doesn't stick.

I'm doing kinematics problems and my brain is melting. I've seen these types of problems so many times and it still doesn't stick.

You are not alone my friend. My issue is I can always solve the problem just not in the alotted time.

Any issues finding a close location to sign up for? I keep hearing rumors that seats are filled. Just curious. Good luck to you all!

I'm finding studying between 2 to 5 hours before bed be useful

I'm randomly waking up spitting out formulas and still thinking about the material lol

Damn. So now is to late to sign up?
Keep checking ...you never know if someone gets into a school and they release their seat. keep your fingers crossed. I am waiting to hear back from some schools and if I get into one I will def say 'screw you MCAT' and release my seat. so keep your fingers crossed.

How's everyone studying going?

Finally got my hands on the elusive TPRH SW :claps:

That's the one^ ...just a giant book of passages which has a great reputation especially for BIO.

Can anyone explain this question? EK Bio, p. 107, # 83:

Cell membrane becomes suddenly impermeable to K+ ions but retains active Na+/K+ -ATPase
What happens to neuron's resting potential?

Answer: Become more positive because K+ ion conc. increases inside the neuron

EK Forum explanation: (... )resting potential is a steady-state condition set by the Sodium-potassium pump, as well as many other processes working against it. All of these other systems are also still at work in this scenario; only the passive potassium permeability was lost. Thus, a new steady-state would be achieved to account for this loss of potassium leakage.

Thanks.. I am confused because I think the resting potential becomes negative. If the cell membrane is impermeable to K+, 3 Na+ will continue to leave the cell while K+ is in greater concentration outside of the cell.

No one attempted to answer your question, so I'll give it a go. The function of the Na+/K+ ATPase is to maintain a concentration gradient of sodium and potassium across the membrane of the cell. The reason it works constantly is because ordinarily, both ions want to move down their concentration gradients. Sodium wants to get into the cell and potassium wants to get out. Normally there's a leakage of those ions down their concentration gradients, and the ATPase works to pump them out/in so that this gradient is maintained.

However, if the cell membrane became impermeable to K+, then it would no longer leak out of the cell down its concentration gradient. More of it will remain in the cell and the resting potential will become more positive, or less negative, since more of a positive ion remains within the cell. It doesn't mean that the potential becomes positive, though. It's just that it's less negative than it would normally be if K+ could do what it wants and exit the cell.

No one attempted to answer your question, so I'll give it a go. The function of the Na+/K+ ATPase is to maintain a concentration gradient of sodium and potassium across the membrane of the cell. The reason it works constantly is because ordinarily, both ions want to move down their concentration gradients. Sodium wants to get into the cell and potassium wants to get out. Normally there's a leakage of those ions down their concentration gradients, and the ATPase works to pump them out/in so that this gradient is maintained.

However, if the cell membrane became impermeable to K+, then it would no longer leak out of the cell down its concentration gradient. More of it will remain in the cell and the resting potential will become more positive, or less negative, since more of a positive ion remains within the cell. It doesn't mean that the potential becomes positive, though. It's just that it's less negative than it would normally be if K+ could do what it wants and exit the cell.

Great explanation. I was going to answer but you said it perfectly.

Thank you!!! This is extremely helpful. Answer reads clearly, now I am going to think about it a little more !

Hey guys!
So i'm new to SDN. I was wondering if anyone has changed the SN2ed schedule for the january 23, 2015 exam date?
if so, would anyone be kind to upload it please?
I am grateful to all of you guys' help.
Thanks

Anyone else neglecting verbal so far?
Yep. I was an English major so I'm not super worried about it, but the best way to prepare for verbal seems to be practice and I'm still in the content review phase.

That said, I have taken some practice verbal sections and felt good enough about my score to let it be for now. It's probably worth doing some passages to see where you stand/see how much work you're going to have to do.

Last edited:
Yep. I was an English major so I'm not super worried about it, but the best way to prepare for verbal seems to be practice and I'm still in the content review phase.

That said, I have taken some practice verbal sections and felt good enough about my score to let it be for now. It's probably worth doing some passages to see where you stand/see how much work you're going to have to do.

I took AAMC 3 and 4 without any verbal practice and scored a 9 on both.

Try not to. 2-3 passages a day will suffice.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

I agree. Going to practice with TPRH Verbal... EK 101 just doesn't have that MCAT feel to it.