The Official January 23, 2015 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cjcarter

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Figured I'd start a thread for the last ever test day of the current MCAT. I'm dreading studying but I should probably start soon. Who else is taking this day?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Is anyone on this thread enrolled in the TPR prep course?

Nope. I've heard good things tho. Better than Kaplan at least which I hear is a waste of money.

I'm using my materials that my buds passed onto me. TBR, EK. I bought chads and they are helping a ton also.

Got out of work late.

Slammed back a pitcher of beer with a friend.

Came home immediately, buzzed and tired with beer and bison burger churning in my guts--and still managed to polish off a 4 hour Ochem chapter.

Not sure if highly motivated or my brain is melting...

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
the more i concentrated on verbal the lower my score got....im gonna not concentrate on it much anymore. ANyone have any advice for Bio? I know my content (i think) - but i keep scoring low...what the heck am i missing?? I feel like some of the answers on the practice tests could be interpreted as subjective answers...I need a turn around on how i view these questions i guess.

In. This will be my second time taking the test. I took it back in Feb 2013 and got rocked (granted... I only took 2 practice tests) The result triggered a post-grad existential crisis and made me re-evaluate a lot of things in my life.

Between then and now I've tried Sn2'd and Kaplan. I'm rolling w/ kaplan on site this time. TPRH+EK for verbal.

Reactions: 1 user
Have any of you taken practice full lengths yet? If not, when are you planning to?

I haven't taken any and it's kind of hard not having any sense of where I stand, but I don't want to take one before I'm ready, do poorly, and get really discouraged.

Anyone decide to not study this weekend and go out? How could anyone not with halloween on a friday? Round 2 tonight lol

Got out of work late.

Slammed back a pitcher of beer with a friend.

Came home immediately, buzzed and tired with beer and bison burger churning in my guts--and still managed to polish off a 4 hour Ochem chapter.

Not sure if highly motivated or my brain is melting...

Odi I got your message will be sending email. This dang phone is not letting me send the message lol

In. This will be my second time taking the test. I took it back in Feb 2013 and got rocked (granted... I only took 2 practice tests) The result triggered a post-grad existential crisis and made me re-evaluate a lot of things in my life.

Between then and now I've tried Sn2'd and Kaplan. I'm rolling w/ kaplan on site this time. TPRH+EK for verbal.

Glad to hear someone else went thru that same crisis lol. It gets better

Have any of you taken practice full lengths yet? If not, when are you planning to?

I haven't taken any and it's kind of hard not having any sense of where I stand, but I don't want to take one before I'm ready, do poorly, and get really discouraged.

I want to start FL's around Nov 23rd. I already took AAMC 3 & 4 a while back so I'll probably just be using them as study material until then.

I'm planning on completing the AAMC SA's first though before moving onto AAMC 5+. Many people have told me their scores boosted significantly after using the SA's as study material.

Odi I got your message will be sending email. This dang phone is not letting me send the message lol

Anyone decide to not study this weekend and go out? How could anyone not with halloween on a friday? Round 2 tonight lol

Yeah whenever you can.

I turned down a trip to Miami this weekend to study lol... Which is completely unlike me.

I'm dead serious about the MCAT this time. I've put it off for long enough. We're sitting on the last date EVER of the current format... let that sink in.

I want to start FL's around Nov 23rd. I already took AAMC 3 & 4 a while back so I'll probably just be using them as study material until then.

I'm planning on completing the AAMC SA's first though before moving onto AAMC 5+. Many people have told me their scores boosted significantly after using the SA's as study material.

Yeah whenever you can.

I turned down a trip to Miami this weekend to study lol... Which is completely unlike me.

I'm dead serious about the MCAT this time. I've put it off for long enough. We're sitting on the last date EVER of the current format... let that sink in.

Ehh it is what it is. You in FL too? Lol. Miami is a blast. I was just around there as I just got back from the Keys (God bless ATO). This is my first go around at the MCATS. Worst case scenario I have to take the new one. Not worried about it. I hope I can snag a FL seat tho. I am scheduled in Canada and have never seen snow before. Not looking forward to it whatsoever especially since I've been in FL my whole life.

Glad to hear someone else went thru that same crisis lol. It gets better

Yeah man. I'm good now. The only option is to get back at it.

Ehh it is what it is. You in FL too? Lol. Miami is a blast. I was just around there as I just got back from the Keys (God bless ATO). This is my first go around at the MCATS. Worst case scenario I have to take the new one. Not worried about it. I hope I can snag a FL seat tho. I am scheduled in Canada and have never seen snow before. Not looking forward to it whatsoever especially since I've been in FL my whole life.

I'd definitely try to grab a seat in-state. I had to travel to take my first one and it was a terrible experience. I had to drive for a while though, so I was nuked the day before and didn't sleep well (about 4 hours worth).

I understand that may not be an option, though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah man. I'm good now. The only option is to get back at it.

I'd definitely try to grab a seat in-state. I had to travel to take my first one and it was a terrible experience. I had to drive for a while though, so I was nuked the day before and didn't sleep well (about 4 hours worth).

I understand that may not be an option, though.

For sure bro. Glad you are taking another shot at taming this beast. And yes. I'm looking consistently for a seat in my state. I've been registered since october and had to choose either Guam or Canada. Regardless, I'll be flying. They are adding seats in Orlando and Jville so hopefully can grab one of those bad boys.

I'm in Canada right across Detroit but I have friends down there. I'll be writing in Toronto.

the more i concentrated on verbal the lower my score got....im gonna not concentrate on it much anymore. ANyone have any advice for Bio? I know my content (i think) - but i keep scoring low...what the heck am i missing?? I feel like some of the answers on the practice tests could be interpreted as subjective answers...I need a turn around on how i view these questions i guess.
:poke: Don't neglect verbal. Regardless of how you're performing score wise, it's very important that you build up that stamina to endure 7 passages of material in 60 minutes. Don't let your scores discourage and distract you from achieving your goal. Even if you're scoring a friggin 2, so what? Speaking from personal experience, even though I scored very well in the sciences, neglecting verbal or atleast the endurance aspect of it, is what impacted my score the most. Atleast for the sciences, some familiarity with the topic will help pull you through, but occasionally verbal talks about something very unfamiliar to you and so being able to maintain full attention can be incredibly tough.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm in Canada right across Detroit but I have friends down there. I'll be writing in Toronto.

Ha same here.
:poke: Don't neglect verbal. Regardless of how you're performing score wise, it's very important that you build up that stamina to endure 7 passages of material in 60 minutes. Don't let your scores discourage and distract you from achieving your goal. Even if you're scoring a friggin 2, so what? Speaking from personal experience, even though I scored very well in the sciences, neglecting verbal or atleast the endurance aspect of it, is what impacted my score the most. Atleast for the sciences, some familiarity with the topic will help pull you through, but occasionally verbal talks about something very unfamiliar to you and so being able to maintain full attention can be incredibly tough.

Verbal is a bi-tch. I am busting butt on this section. Improvements are whats keeping me going lol. I started REALLY low and have been improving. Don't give up.

I took a TPR test two weeks ago. Originally I was going to begin taking TPR and AAMC exams beginning right after Christmas. However, both my roommate and bf both told me they did practice exams throughout their studying. Roommate said she learned the most from reviewing exams. TPR class suggests to take a practice test every 2 weeks. I did poorly on my first one, but hey, better to do poorly on a practice MCAT 3 months from the test versus 1 month (or less!)

I took a TPR test two weeks ago. Originally I was going to begin taking TPR and AAMC exams beginning right after Christmas. However, both my roommate and bf both told me they did practice exams throughout their studying. Roommate said she learned the most from reviewing exams. TPR class suggests to take a practice test every 2 weeks. I did poorly on my first one, but hey, better to do poorly on a practice MCAT 3 months from the test versus 1 month (or less!)
Its all about progress my man. It'll get better. Just think about how you're getting better each day. Don't skip verbal!

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Its all about progress my man. It'll get better. Just think about how you're getting better each day. Don't skip verbal!

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
Yes that is solid advice. Finally seeing verbal improvement. Good luck with your studies this weekend!

Everyone in this thread is talking about January 23rd. I can't wait until January 24th!!!
Its soooo close! Anyone have any good review strategies for when you only have about an hour or so between classes? I want to use that time to drill MCATs.

Thanks and good luck

Everyone in this thread is talking about January 23rd. I can't wait until January 24th!!!
Its soooo close! Anyone have any good review strategies for when you only have about an hour or so between classes? I want to use that time to drill MCATs.

Thanks and good luck

I've been making an ANKI deck from all the passage questions I answered wrong.

It is honestly extremely time consuming to transfer passage information and questions into ANKI... But it's literally a library of your mistakes that you keep going over and over to ensure you won't get a similar question wrong on the MCAT.

Just got rejected from KCUMB where I interviewed last week. End of October has been hectic for me but I think I'm ready to put serious time into the MCAT. First time I took it I had some issues I needed straightened out but I think I'm much better now. I scored a 24 with very little studying. Applying DO so will be looking for 26-28 range MCAT in January.

Hello all!

I'm selling all of the MCAT books I used to prepare. I am willing to negotiate. As an MCAT instructor, I encourage people to supplement their self study (EK) with TPR. Highly recommend

I am selling:
Kaplan - $60-75
All books in completely new condition. All books newest class edition.
  • Verbal Reasoning, Physics, Chem, Orgo, Bio

The Princeton Review - $100 for all of them- BRAND NEW
All books in completely new condition - no markings at all. All books newest edition.
  • VR, Biology, Chemistry, Orgo, Physics.

Examkrackers Textbooks $50-60
All books in completely new condition - no markings at all. All books newest edition.
  • Physics, Chem, Bio and Organic Chemistry
PM me if you are interested in negotiating prices. I am willing to seeing all as a package for 150$.

Hey everybody!! Good luck, and God bless to those who are indeed taking the test on this date!! For those who are scheduled to take the test on this date and have a change of heart or have friends that are having a change of heart, I'm asking if you'd contact me on here and let me know as I'm doing my best to gain a spot to take the MCAT in January 2015. If you can let me know before you cancel your test date, we could set it up so that when you cancel I'm potentially there to fill your spot on AAMC's test scheduling site. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Hey everybody!! Good luck, and God bless to those who are indeed taking the test on this date!! For those who are scheduled to take the test on this date and have a change of heart or have friends that are having a change of heart, I'm asking if you'd contact me on here and let me know as I'm doing my best to gain a spot to take the MCAT in January 2015. If you can let me know before you cancel your test date, we could set it up so that when you cancel I'm potentially there to fill your spot on AAMC's test scheduling site. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

I've been making an ANKI deck from all the passage questions I answered wrong.

It is honestly extremely time consuming to transfer passage information and questions into ANKI... But it's literally a library of your mistakes that you keep going over and over to ensure you won't get a similar question wrong on the MCAT.
What's ANKI

I found a study group down the street from my house at the local library. Couple of doctors studying for Step 1 (already graduates). Helps to have others around on a rigorous focused schedule. Seriously making a big difference!

Looking for a study group in OC for Jan 23 exam. PM me if interested.

Last edited:
Let's get some updates in here...

How's everyone's studying going?

Do you mind if I rant? I have a mountain of work to do and I haven't taken a day off studying since October 31st. Currently my to-do list has 5 assignments that need to be completed. And tomorrow adds two more, Saturday another, Sunday two more.. basically I'm freaking out lol. This is on top of obligations I already have Friday-Saturday. Trying really hard to stay on track to finish TBR chapters by the first week of December. ughhghghghghhhhhh

Sorry for rant, it was bound to happen, you just were the first person to ask how things were going :p

Wow. Sounds like a lot. Having MCAT on your plate is enough to drive someone insane. I hope u can find a way to release some of those other obligations to focus on what's super important right now. I know it's hard. Chin up...just be consistent and use the time you do have efficiently.

Good luck!

I feel you, Sisu. January is starting to feel so soon and I just want to be done with my fall classes so I can properly dedicate myself to the MCAT instead of feeling like I'm half-assing both.

I guess studying is going okay though... I've read and taken notes on all but two of the TBR chapters and now am going to do as many practice passages as humanly possible before I force myself to take AAMC 3 on November 30. It'll be good to get a benchmark since right now it just feels pretty overwhelming.

There is some o chem material I haven't covered in class and I'm feeling pretty shaky on that. Any recommendations for further studying on topics you haven't learned before?

@TheRhymenocerous I'm in the same boat... SO over classes but have to finish strong (my last two pre-med classes eep!) and still have to go to work everyday too :/ I'm ready for the semester to end so then at least I'm just working and studying for the MCAT.

Anyone here taking the test in Orlando? Was able to move my seat from upstate NY (brr) to FL!

lol that's rough @Sisu00. It's hard not to get anxious but realistically we still have lots of time.

@TheRhymenocerous you're well ahead of schedule. I'll have started FL's by then as well.

Oh man how silly this may be to say...but you saying we have lots of time and going through the same stress I am, makes me feel so much better!

I am so stressed! My Ochem 2 class is seriously kicking my butt. I feel like I am taking more study time for the class than MCAT.

Oh man oh man. I'm so happy to read everyone's posts tho.

I work and have school still, volunteering...friends needing help, going through a break up after three years!

Pressing on and getting through it!

We got this guys

I feel you, Sisu. January is starting to feel so soon and I just want to be done with my fall classes so I can properly dedicate myself to the MCAT instead of feeling like I'm half-assing both.

I guess studying is going okay though... I've read and taken notes on all but two of the TBR chapters and now am going to do as many practice passages as humanly possible before I force myself to take AAMC 3 on November 30. It'll be good to get a benchmark since right now it just feels pretty overwhelming.

There is some o chem material I haven't covered in class and I'm feeling pretty shaky on that. Any recommendations for further studying on topics you haven't learned before?
Online videos have been helpful to cover things that I forgot.. Crash Course, Coursesaver, and Khan Academy. And congrats on getting thru almost all of TBR! That's awesome. Been on chapters 6-7 this week.

Oh man how silly this may be to say...but you saying we have lots of time and going through the same stress I am, makes me feel so much better!

I am so stressed! My Ochem 2 class is seriously kicking my butt. I feel like I am taking more study time for the class than MCAT.

Oh man oh man. I'm so happy to read everyone's posts tho.

I work and have school still, volunteering...friends needing help, going through a break up after three years!

Pressing on and getting through it!

We got this guys
Yeah for positive attitude!!! Ochem takes up so much time... At least the ochem classes you have recently taken will open some time for the other MCAT subjects.

I need a study break... probably going to just do light content review and practice problems on certain subjects for a few days. And maybe go over flashcards/formulas.

i am having a hard time getting practice with those 'lab/this affects this and this' bio questions. Is there some general way you guys figure those out? like i need a method...