The Official January 23, 2015 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cjcarter

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Figured I'd start a thread for the last ever test day of the current MCAT. I'm dreading studying but I should probably start soon. Who else is taking this day?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Finished "The House of God" last week. Definitely helped to alleviate my anxiety by reading this hilarious, wild and compassionate novel. The problem is that I need to find another book for the next 7-8 days...

Atul Gawande's books are pretty good. Start with "Complications."

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Already having a crappy weekend. Got into major argument with the rents......I messed up an important date......and nerves are at an all time high. Hopefully I don't get a stroke before the 24th :(

I had this great day yesterday after going to a medical school fair where everyone looked much more Young Professional than I did. I limped across the street to a restaurant with my biochem homework--thinking I'd study--and instead ordered a banana rum hot chocolate and read a comic book.

I don't care about medical school anymore! TRYING. ha. Grotesque. Ha ha ha ha.

I had this great day yesterday after going to a medical school fair where everyone looked much more Young Professional than I did. I limped across the street to a restaurant with my biochem homework--thinking I'd study--and instead ordered a banana rum hot chocolate and read a comic book.

I don't care about medical school anymore! TRYING. ha. Grotesque. Ha ha ha ha.

Omg there is something so freeing about not trying at all for a bit! Reminds me of when I went to a medical fair back in college, but left due to being too hungover. The champion in me made me go, but the rationalist side made me leave. After all, balance and character make doctors human, and that's important too, right?

Omg there is something so freeing about not trying at all for a bit! Reminds me of when I went to a medical fair back in college, but left due to being too hungover. The champion in me made me go, but the rationalist side made me leave. After all, balance and character make doctors human, and that's important too, right?
I'd heart this a billion times if I could. You can't be a bloody minded savior of humanity EVERY day of the week. What I learned from that fair was that I am just going to have to fake like a normal human being a lot harder next time.

But seriously, everyone: banana rum hot chocolate. Puts everything in perspective.

I think I am to the point where I just want to know my score. When is everyone planning on checking? As soon as they are released or are you going to have to build up the courage to look!? I plan on finishing my 3:20 class on Tuesday, then going and working out, coming to my apartment and eating, lock myself in my room, check my score, shout and jump while crying tears of joy, or curl up in the fetal position in my closet with a 1.75 liter of Bartons vodka (the stuff that comes in the plastic, so you know its like drinking gasoline). Hopefully I will be jumping for joy instead of getting stupid drunk...

I'm pretty nervous. I already know some crazy **** that's happened. My buddy got his scores back last week and after averaging an 8-9 on PS, he somehow ended up with a 14 in that section (normally his worst section) How does that happen! Thats insane. His score was like an unbalanced 14-9-8, definitely over his averages but that top heavy PS when it was his worst section just blows my mind and then ends up with his worst ever bio score, obviously i'm very happy for him though but crazy the way the score breakdown went.

I know! You hear of people like your friend jumping up 5-6 points on one section, and you also hear of others dropping by 5-6 points on one section. Which is why I have literally idea what to expect, which makes the waiting game easier or harder, depending on the moment. About 71 hours left. Not that I'm counting.

I also started getting kind of proud that we are last people getting scores from the "old" MCAT. Ever. We're making history! (That, at least, should count for a point or two.) Think of the stories we'll be able to tell our grandkids...I jest, I jest.

Reactions: 3 users
About 71 hours left. Not that I'm counting.

I also started getting kind of proud that we are last people getting scores from the "old" MCAT. Ever. We're making history! (That, at least, should count for a point or two.)
I don't know. To me it feels like being the last ones limping across the finish line.

71 hours, you say? *stares hard at minute hand*

Members don't see this ad :)
But remember if you get <30, you'll still type out a heart every time you tell folks about it <3

I don't know. To me it feels like being the last ones limping across the finish line.

71 hours, you say? *stares hard at minute hand*

I must say, your posts have made me laugh and made me feel less anxious (a tiny bit). lmao @ limping across finish line.

I must say, your posts have made me laugh and made me feel less anxious (a tiny bit). lmao @ limping across finish line.
1/23 MCAT/end of the world party thread.
ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1424616530.439678.jpg

Lol even though people have been asking me like crazy if I got my MCAT score back yet, it didn't really register in me that it'll be a month since The Reckoning tomorrow. When do we get our scores back?

Anybody else have appointments/prior engagements etc. right after getting scores on Tues? I have things as early as 4. That definitely coincides with my plans of drinking into a coma.

I don't! I scheduled a dentist appointment at 1pm on that day so I could take the afternoon off of work in anticipation of a 3pm-ish release. I feel very crafty.

Soooo nervous right now...less than 2 days. On my first MCAT in september, I dropped 3 points from my average...on this one, 3 points below my new average would be fine with me. I just need to improve...this is it for me.

Is it going to be posted at a predetermined time on Tuesday?
I think it's actually never going to be posted. This has all been a weird terrible dream. We never should have set down our drinks at that party.

Unless they post it around 3:15 (edit: PM! EST!) like they usually do.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
have a meeting scheduled with my boss on Tue. Better leave my cell phone on my desk, so I don't have to refresh my phone while talking to boss...

Jumping off of @beastlybaja, I suggest we veer the discussion to what we plan to drink Tuesday afternoon/evening. I'm out of town this weekend for work, and luckily won't have a chance to think much about it until Monday night. Maybe I'll have different booze options on hand according to what I think I deserve, like Franzia for under a 30, a basic IPA for between 30 and 34, and Hendricks for 35+...
I'll be at Grandma's.. hopefully she'll lend me a wine cup
VinoFamilyPhoto-e1349322272284-300x168.jpg

Soooo nervous right now...less than 2 days. On my first MCAT in september, I dropped 3 points from my average...on this one, 3 points below my new average would be fine with me. I just need to improve...this is it for me.

I wish I was in that position! :( I was averaging a 27 this time around, so I don't have much room for error/for having a bad test day :( The first time I took the mcat I got 6/8/7 (21) embarassingly. I definitely knew I wasn't ready when I took it! but I had postponed it once and my family was pushing me to just take it to see how I would do despite me not being ready. Altho kind of happy I got the experience of going through it once out of the way (I don't void scores thats not my style). Scored slightly below my average the first time, surprised my verbal was that low then because 8 was really the lowest I had ever scored on verbal, but otherwise it was similar to aamc scores. Hoping this time I get my average or a point or two over (I was at like a 7/10/10 range in practice this time ALTHOUGH I have gone as high as 11 on verbal and bio just never on the same test lol, my best score was aamc 11 though not sure if that means anything haha) I actually studied PS hard this time around! really studied and only got my score up to a 7 on practice, so idk how I got a 6 without studying at all, I literally got a 6 without knowing anything about chem or physics. This time, I had just winter break to prep full time, I think I'm capable of scoring higher its just 0 free time ugh. We shall see. Really don't want to let my family down again but at least a 27 seems way more respectable, at least to me so I felt ok during my aamcs with that. END RANT sorry just needed to give you guys my mcat life story, I know i'm not a genius 30+ scorer like you guys but I enjoyed the ride regardless.

Reactions: 2 users
they come up around 3-4pm EST usually if they are feeling nice. 31 hours to go.....not that i'm counting or anything :X

Omg....I want at least a 30 and I just had a dream that I got a 26......So nervous for tomorrow now....

Ugh for some reason I had it in my head that I would get my scores today... Now I have to wait another WHOLE DAY. I don't think my nerves can take this!!!

My nightmare for the past week has been:

checking my score, seeing a stellar score, starting to celebrate... and then all of a sudden the numbers start to change...and decrease...and I reach out towards the screen as if to stop the numbers...plz stop decreasing...

So we have about a day and some odd hours left. I've been re-reading earlier posts that were made immediately after the exam. Reading complaints about our exam is actually a little comforting; it makes me feel not alone and crazy!

UGH I'm feeling worse and worse with each hour! Especially cause 1/8 and 1/10 tests seemed to be difficult like ours, and I do sort of think the scores reflected that. And the tests that seemed more straightforward also seemed to have scores that reflected that too. (I recall seeing 1/15 and 1/13 having a ton of really high scores)

I keep getting emails about Caribbean schools and masters program did I completely bomb the mcat or what the hell is going on. I took the mcat in July and got a 30 so do you think that's why? I think I'm being paranoid

I keep getting emails about Caribbean schools and masters program did I completely bomb the mcat or what the hell is going on. I took the mcat in July and got a 30 so do you think that's why? I think I'm being paranoid

Haha I got a 29 last year and same thing keeps happening to me....jerks.

I was just reading the old posts on complaints and thoughts people had when the test was still fresh in our minds last month. Its scary how much I agree with so many of you. People were either complaining hard about PS (being calculation heavy and lower yield topics) or complaining hard about BS (not testing much/any physio knowledge and being super experimental and passaged based). I definitely remember complaining hard about PS, because I suck at lengthy calculations, but the Bio part of BS I felt was easy because it was so passage based, probably gets negated because of the challenging orgo that I pretty much had to guess on completely (at least I saved the orgo for the end so I was able to answer all the bio questions with enough time), so much for wishing for easy sn2, sn1, e2, e1 mechanisms. Oh well, just one more day until judgment.

Since we're about a day out, I guess someone has to put up the obligatory post. Please use this format when reporting scores:

Test date: 1/23/2015
Time: 8:00 AM
AAMC average: 30.75
AAMC 10-11 average: 28 (had the flu when I took AAMC 11)
Post test expected score: 27-30 (got 2 hours of sleep the night before, don't think I scored above my average)
Actual score: X (X PS/X VR/X BS)

My nightmare for the past week has been:

checking my score, seeing a stellar score, starting to celebrate... and then all of a sudden the numbers start to change...and decrease...and I reach out towards the screen as if to stop the numbers...plz stop decreasing...

It's so funny how you mentioned your dream I had the exact same dream I could of swear. The exact same thing. I started at 40 then each section score started to decrease it was like a slot machine hahahhaha with number rolling. It's weird how we both had the same dream hahha ha

Also... What does it mean if a passage is the experimental section? I am kind of worried the orgo passage was the experimental one because I think I actually got that one right compared to the other stuff :(