The official Jefferson Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Originally posted by ayj
CKNY,

Congrats again! You mentioned that you spoke with Dean Callahan. I've called the admissions office once or twice and spoken with what I presume is the admissions secretary. When you call, do you usually ask to be connected directly to Dean Callahan? Thanks,

ayj

ayj,

I asked the lady in admin to set up a phone appointment with the dean. Personally, I thought it was a bit forward to ask to talk w/ the dean right away. That way, you're not bugging her in the middle of something and can get all your issues out on the table in a more official manner. The secretaries always ask why you want to talk w/ the dean, so that determines if you'll be connected directly. The only time I asked to be connected directly to her was when she had called me first. Even then, I got transferred to her secretary. You can give it a try...doesn't hurt to ask.

CKNY

Members don't see this ad.

to prospective jefferson students,

i just learned from financial aid office today that they're planning to begin sending out award packages in 1-2 weeks. they said that next week would be the last batch to be included in the first batch of awards to go out. you can get status check of missing stuff at pulse.jefferson.edu under the banner tab and financial aid status check.

for those of you who are filling out the financial aid info for jefferson:

1. do any of you have a similar problem in that your parents havent filed their taxes yet or will not for a while b/c they get extensions? how am i supposed to provide their tax return form?

2. when do we do the entrance interview?

thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
You need your parent's 1040 if you want any institutional aid, period. Don't do your online FAFSA without it, if you want institutional aid.

I your parents are like mine, you may want to remind them that getting their -- in gear could save you THOUSANDS because institutional aid at Jeff is low interest and no interest until you are done, compared to unsubsidized loans which interest starts accumulating immediately.

Of course, if your parents are making 200Gs a year or more, it won't make any difference, cause you wont get much if any institutional aid unless you have 7 siblings in college.

Not sure about the entrance interview.

jmd

Hi guys,

You don't do have to do the entrance interview until later. You can do it over the summer or spring if you're around or in the first week or so of school. They'll send you a schedule and you just sign up for one of them. No sweat.

Hey...For those of you who have been accepted - Have you logged on to JeffLine?? The AOA (Alpha Omega Alpha - the Honor Society) and the FAC (Freshman Assistance Committee) have put together some nice "guides" to first year...ie. What lecturers to watch out for, which books are worth buying/not buying/ etc.

I thought it was really helpful and fun to read about what the average day is like and what people think about each class. I also really like the NoteService that Jefferson has and they talk about that a little also. SO, if you haven't checked it out it is probably worth doing -- As someone else already mentioned you can also read their Student Council minutes and keep up to date with how many people they are admitting.

When is orientation and first day of classes? I can't seem to find the info on the JMC website. Please post the link if you do find it. Thanks! :D

When is orientation and first day of classes? I can't seem to find the info on the JMC website. Please post the link if you do find it.

Not sure where I saw this, I think it was a paper mailing, but I remember orientation starting about Aug 3rd (or 5th?) and classes starting a week or 2 later.

Not much of a summer, but personally, I can't wait to start!

HOLY CRAP!!!! I just got a call from Dr. Callahan and she told me I was pulled from the waiting list.....I'm in!!!!:D :laugh: :D I've been trying so long....I can't believe it!! I'm still in shock.

I'm gonna be a doctor!!!!! :clap: :clap:

:clap: :clap: CONGRATS SPERRY :clap: :clap:

I think Freshman start on August 4 and there is a week or two of orientation and then classes start. It is a really long year (going until Jun) but I agree I am psyched also!!!

I am going to the second look weekend so hopefully I will see some of you there!

:D thanks!! :D

I think I'm going to the 2nd look weekend as well. It's been so long since the interview, it'd be nice to get a feel for the school again and meet some of my potential classmates. Now I just have to get that $@*&^$% financial aid info in.....not-so patiently waiting on Dad's info - which is oh-so important to this 32yr old. :rolleyes:

Still feels like a dream...two words...woo and hoo!!

Congratulations Sperry, I'll see you at the 2nd look!

jmd

OMG! Dean Callahan just called me at work, just to say I'd been accepted!! I am SO PUMPED!!!!!!!!! :) :) :)

I'd been on the high priority alternate list for ~3 months, and I had been calling every ~2-3 weeks. This is so exciting..although MCW accepted me ~2 months ago, it was a nice school, but I really loved Jefferson when I was there. I won't be able to make it to the April recruiting week (live in portland or).

YAY!!! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
carrigallen:

I am soooo happy for you! Congrats! Is JMC where you definitely want to go?

Congratulations Sperry! I knew you would get in! I am heading to the 2nd look weekend myself, so I hope to see you there.

Congrats to sperry and carrigallen! Isn't it that much sweeter after being waitlisted??? :) Looks like Dean Callahan has been busy making phone calls. Welcome fellow classmates!

Few quick questions:
1. Do schools wait till our parents have filed to send in our financial aid packets?
2. What is an entrace interview? I thought we were done w/ all that stuff!

Thanks in advance!

:clap: :clap: Congrats carriegallen!!! :clap: :clap:

Sounds like things are definitely shakin' at Jeff

Princess - since I've received nary a word via snail mail - I can't answer your questions (I'm still hoping that Callahan's call wasn't some sort of fever dream I had...)

Also, I'm giving you a bit o'credit for my good news...I was prompted to call Dr. Callahan last week after you got your news. Same deal - left a msg - phone tag and an offer when she reached me. So thanks for posting your experiences and putting a bug in my ear!

promethius - thanks for the support!!
- I'll see y'all soon!

Originally posted by sperry

Also, I'm giving you a bit o'credit for my good news...I was prompted to call Dr. Callahan last week after you got your news. Same deal - left a msg - phone tag and an offer when she reached me. So thanks for posting your experiences and putting a bug in my ear!

promethius - thanks for the support!!
- I'll see y'all soon!

I also have to give props to CKNY for her advice - I called earlier that morning, and just briefly spoke with a secretary, although I never requested to speak with Dean Callahan. A few hours later at work I got a phone call, and when the speaker announced herself as Dean Callahan, my jaw dropped! :eek: :cool:
Right now I'm thinking of going to Jefferson for sure. so anyway, i'll be seeing the jmc peeps soon.

2. What is an entrace interview? I thought we were done w/ all that stuff!

Congrats to all of you. Isn't it exciting to get into med school? :)

Just wanted to answer one of these questions. I dont know about parents and financial aid, but the "entrance interview" is just a presentation you have to go to about financial aid. You may have attended one for undergrad. They just want you to know the debt you will be getting into. It is not really an "interview".

I also have to give props to CKNY for her advice - I called earlier that morning, and just briefly spoke with a secretary, although I never requested to speak with Dean Callahan. A few hours later at work I got a phone call, and when the speaker announced herself as Dean Callahan, my jaw dropped!

I'm starting to feel a little sorry for the unfortunates that don't get good advice from SNDers like CKNY. If it worked once it might be a fluke, but 3 times? I guess persistance really does pay off. Congratulations to all of you, it is good to see so many people really excited to go to Jefferson, it makes me excited too. I'm still holding out for UMass because of the small matter of 25K a year cheaper, but all things being equal, Jeff is my top choice too. Best of luck to all those waiting, sounds like giving Dr. Callahan a call is a VERY good idea. If too many people start calling, think she'll get suspicious?

For all those that have interviewed late (for example, the first week of march), have you heard anything yet?

If you have, did they email or call you? I would love to know. I thought my interviewer would have attended the meeting the week after my interview, but since I have not heard, I am assuming not.

Any help is appreciated!

Aw shucks...it wasn't anything. I'm glad to help contribute to a great site full of great applicants. SDN has helped me in so many ways and now I can finally repay the favor. Hopefully, Dean Callahan won't be terribly annoyed by the sudden inundation of phone calls! :)

anyone get financial aid packages yet?

Hey Allygator. I interviewed on March 5th, and I haven't heard anything yet. God, it seems like the anticipation is even worse later in the interview sesson. I want to go to Jeff so bad, I don't know what to do with myself. What I gathered from the interview day is that we should hear something in 2 to 4 weeks from the interview, depending on how long it takes our faculty interviewer to get together with their admissions people. Good Luck!

I am considering going to the second look weekend. Anyone know of any good airline deals flying from the west coast?

Btw, I haven't received financial aid packages from any schools.

Don't know if this would help or not because:.....but IJet is advertising $99 one-way fares from LA to Allentown. 'Course you'd probably have to rent a car to get to Philly (I think it's about 45 min by car) - but depending on how much you're willing to spend and the price of regular airfare - it might be worth it. Check it out at http://www.flyijet.com Good luck and hope you can make it!!

hmm...looks like I'm probably spending at least $300 for a trip out there. Yikes. I don't think it's do-able. Thanks for the info though!

Hopefully this helps if anyone is planning on flying into Allentown (I went to high school near Allentown). It is about an hour and 10 minutes from LVI airport to Center City Philadelphia.

So how was second look???? Details please! Give me your honest opinion. Thanks!

anyone hear about financial aid awards from thenm yet?

someone in financial aid told me the first ones were being sent out in mid-april.

jefferson's starting to send out financial aid packages. i haven't gotten mine yet but at the pulse.jefferson.edu website under 'banner' tab, it says i got $7,500 worth of scholarships/perkins loans. if you guys have submitted ur stuff in early march, u could probably find out early. apparently, the difference between scholarships+perkins vs. expected costs is gonna be stafford. dunno if i have enough stafford loans to get up to $52,357.00 tuition. :mad:

Originally posted by Yogi Bear
jefferson's starting to send out financial aid packages. i haven't gotten mine yet but at the pulse.jefferson.edu website under 'banner' tab, it says i got $7,500 worth of scholarships/perkins loans. if you guys have submitted ur stuff in early march, u could probably find out early. apparently, the difference between scholarships+perkins vs. expected costs is gonna be stafford. dunno if i have enough stafford loans to get up to $52,357.00 tuition. :mad:

Hey there. Early march? I just submitted mine! I want to know now! Actually, I was going to ask if you had unbelievable stats or what qualified you for the scholarships/loans. I am having a bad feeling I am not going to get anything since my parents "make too much."

Sux. I need some serious cash to go there. :-(

Originally posted by Allygator89
Hey there. Early march? I just submitted mine! I want to know now! Actually, I was going to ask if you had unbelievable stats or what qualified you for the scholarships/loans. I am having a bad feeling I am not going to get anything since my parents "make too much."

Sux. I need some serious cash to go there. :-(

Actually, I was going to ask if you had unbelievable stats or what qualified you for the scholarships/loans.
lol! actually, i only got $1,500 in free money. that makes it $50k/yr for 4 years = $200k in debt. +pissed+

Originally posted by Yogi Bear
Actually, I was going to ask if you had unbelievable stats or what qualified you for the scholarships/loans.
lol! actually, i only got $1,500 in free money. that makes it $50k/yr for 4 years = $200k in debt. +pissed+

Don't forget to add the 8% tuition increase for the out-of-staters! That makes it just that much more expensive for all of us.

It is frustrating really. I will go to Jeff if I can get some financial support from jeff that comes in the way of "free money."

As of yet, I have yet to receive any scholarships. I had a full ride as an undergrad, however, my GPA was decent (not outstanding) and my MCATs were just average. I am no longer a resident of PA (I was born there and lived there for 13 years). After looking through the book, I am not qualified for any of the ones sent with financial aid, so I am keeping my fingers crossed that lightening strikes. As much as I really want to go to jefferson, it really makes going to a state school that much more appealing. I can afford $13K a year tuition, however, $34K is a bit more out of reach.

If I get in off the waitlist of my state school, I might just have to go there for the money. It is really sad, but I don't know if I want $200K in loans.

Money should not dictate life! Why is it so dang expensive? And people complain about how much physicians are paid. Well, I can see why! It takes so long to repay that debt, and then the time that you spend postponing life to pursue you dream!

Sorry for venting.

If anyone hears about $$ being disbursed, or about scholarship money that is available to students, please pass it along. I know we are all competing for the same dollars, but we all need the money.:mad: :mad:

That lovely 8% tuition increase goes for all students - not just the out-of-staters. :( Jeff is one of those lovely schools where there's no tuition break for in-staters. Tho' I suppose we have more access to some of the institutional $$'s. If you're having problems or concerns about not having enough money in free bucks and fed loans, I'd give the financial aid office a call.

Last week at the 2nd look deal, Susan Batchelor from fin aid spoke and said that <10 students out of all years had to get outside loans to make up the difference. They should be able to help you out and figure out what you have to do to match your budget. I'm not too excited about $200k in debt, but I went into this assuming I'd owe that much when I get out. I'm just not planning on living high on the hog when I finish - I figure even if I end up in primary care, I should make enough to live relatively well and make my loan payments. While it's a huge factor in deciding about school - don't scare yourself out of options due to money alone.

As for scholarships...check out fastweb.com. They came up with some unusual scholarship options that I hadn't heard of before. Give them a shot...

Hey all, a waitlister here. For those who moved off the waitlist: Besides calling the office and calling the Dean specifically, did you do anything else? Send extra material, write a letter of intent, that sort of thing?

I really want to go to jefferson, it really makes going to a state school that much more appealing. I can afford $13K a year tuition, however, $34K is a bit more out of reach.

Allygator89,

I don't quite understand your idea of 34K being "out of reach". Any student with a decent credit rating can get loans to cover the entire cost of medical school. Of course if you go to a private school and rack up a huge loan, there will be an impact on your standard of living for the 1st 10 yrs out of school, but it is not a drastic impact. The question is not whethor you can afford to go to a private school-- everybody can-- but if you are willing to sacrifice some of your future income on the benefits you see in choosing a private school over a public one. That's an individual choice that everyone in this (rather enviable) position has to make. Good luck on yours!

Out of reach? No, not really. I see your point. However, do I want to come out with only my sig other's undergrad loans, his +100K for grad school and no loans for me, (I can afford public with no loans) or do I want to have his undergrad, 100K grad school, plus $180-200K of my loans? That is the position I am in. Alone, $13K a year isn't bad for public. Private on the other hand is $34K. All things considered, I am looking at more than a quarter of a million dollars. That's a lot to consider, plus a family and wanting to buy a house and all that.

I was looking more at the big picture, and it is a dilemma for me that most people would want to be in. Sorry for all of you that are reading through my posts and wishing they were in my position. :-(

Out of reach? No, not really. I see your point. However, do I want to come out with only my sig other's undergrad loans, his +100K for grad school and no loans for me, (I can afford public with no loans) or do I want to have his undergrad, 100K grad school, plus $180-200K of my loans? That is the position I am in. Alone, $13K a year isn't bad for public. Private on the other hand is $34K. All things considered, I am looking at more than a quarter of a million dollars. That's a lot to consider, plus a family and wanting to buy a house and all that.

I was looking more at the big picture, and it is a dilemma for me that most people would want to be in. Sorry for all of you that are reading through my posts and wishing they were in my position. :-(

I see your point. I also have a significant other who will also be attending grad school, but only for a masters. Either way, we are facing lots of debt. However, you have to remember that when both of you get out of school, there will be TWO incomes earned toward paying off the loans. You won't have to bear the load alone.

The family and house don't have to happen right away either. I'm not sure how old you are, but if you're the average age of most applicants, you can hold off for a year or two out of school. Very few people come out of med school w/ the ability to buy a house, have kids, etc. Just seems like you're holding all these standards for yourself...med school, wife, kids, house, etc. Take a step back and think about what's most important. You will eventually have it all, so don't kill yourself over it.

*****on a completely different topic**********
srmonkey,

if you actually go through the whole thread, many people stated that they sent in letters of interest, update letters, the whole nine yards. the final step was to give the dean a call.

Just a quick question....in your opinion, which med schools in the northeast have a similar reputation to Jefferson?

Hi All

I have received my financial aid package from JEFF also and it seems as though the 7,000-10,000 range for Perkins/Scholarships is about right. I guess I will have to cover the rest with Stafford loans. And if you are in Pennsylvania you can apply for loans from the Pennsylvania Medical Society....

In my opinon Jefferson's Second Look was great! I met some really nice people, got to see the dorms, labs, and met with some big time docs, ie. the new Chief of Medicine. I am really exciting about starting in the fall and so happy for you who have gotten in off the waitlist!

IMO, schools that have a similar reputation to JEFF on the East Coast would be Penn State, Vermont, and maybe Drexel....

Hey SS - did you go on the Optho/IM tour? I was there too!! I have to say that I was even more impressed w/Jeff after the 2nd look. Any concerns I had were definitely put to rest. I'm really looking forward to being there next fall :D

I haven't received my fin-aid packet yet - but mine went in a bit late. I'm also not too hopefull about it - my efc came out at a bit under 13k :eek: That should pretty effectively knock out any Perkins opportunities I have. Looks like this year will be a big Stafford year for me...

As for reps go - I think you may be underestimating Jeff's rep. They did make the USNews top 50 (for what that's worth). And here in Philly at least, everyone seems to view Jeff on par with Penn. I can't name other specific schools 'cause I'd probably just be talking out my @$$ - but I think Jeff falls into the "better school" category. Not top tier - but definitely above Drexel and Penn State.

Hey Sperry! I PM'ed you!

Hey guys... on your financial aid.. My EFC was only about $1000, however my parents make some money... does that hurt my scholarship chances, and what are the perkins loans you are all talking about? Are they loans, or 'free' money?

Hey guys... on your financial aid.. My EFC was only about $1000, however my parents make some money... does that hurt my scholarship chances, and what are the perkins loans you are all talking about? Are they loans, or 'free' money?

from what i heard, perkins loans are unsubsidized gov't loans that have a fixed interest rate (not sure)...something like 5%. On the other hand, staffod loans are variable... (i.e. now they're at 3 something %).

not sure if all of this is right, just what i heard. perkins loans are subsized, fixed 5.00%+origination, 9 month grace period after school. they can be reduced/eliminated by service jobs in special programs or underrepresented areas, however few jobs apply to physicians.

subsized stafford loans have a 6 month grace period, variable interest with a max of ~8.25%, currently ~4%. since the early 90's, residency does not qualify as a federal deferment period, except for dentistry.

Thanks. I am soooo new to this financial aid stuff. I have never had to deal with this before, so I know nothing. :)

Got my financial aid package today. $25,000 in unsubsidized loans...ugh! :( :eek: :confused: +pissed+