The Official July 2, 2014 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

johnnytest

MS-4
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else taking it this July 2nd?!

Members don't see this ad.

I havent taken my mcat yet but I would say if you know the verbal being that low is a fluke, retake asap and bring the score up. If you were always scoring low then such a small amount of time between tests will not be enough to raise your score. Also make sure you can do relatively the same score wise on BS and PS. That 15 is awesome though.

Soo....first time posting. And here are my scores:
11/6/15.... for a 32.

I've never scored so low on verbal and I definitely didn't think I did that badly. Yet there it is. I need advice. What should I do? Do I retake? I'm very happy with my PS and BS but that verbal really hurts. And yes, I'm applying this cycle. I'm really lost right now and can't even type properly...Any advice guys?

There was one guy who had a similar break down (except you scored one point higher than him on BS). He got into a few DO schools and one MD school. So yes, you have a fair shot for DO schools. I have no clue about MD schools though.

FL stands for Full length , these are practice exams that are modeled to the real exam, they are a number of companies who provide these and you will get varying opinions on them ,the ones given by AAMC are actually old MCAT exams in the past and the only ones worth worrying about in my opinion ... SA stand for Self assessment which is another tool in your arsenal in tackling the MCAT these are a set of problems in PS(physics &chemistry) ,BS(Biology and organic chemistry) and verbal passages that are really helpful in getting use to the MCAt style of questions and topic of interest. This is also provided by AAMC at a price and since they are the people who will be making up your exam I think both of these are a good investment... Good luck in your studies and dont give up!
Thank you for this information!

Members don't see this ad :)
What was your AAMC FL, if it wasn't higher than 34 I don't see why you should

My average was about 34, I was always getting 12-13 in PS. My BS and VR averages were 11 and 10 so I am happy with those 2, if only PS was a 12 I would have been wayyy happier :(

Soo....first time posting. And here are my scores:
11/6/15.... for a 32.

I've never scored so low on verbal and I definitely didn't think I did that badly. Yet there it is. I need advice. What should I do? Do I retake? I'm very happy with my PS and BS but that verbal really hurts. And yes, I'm applying this cycle. I'm really lost right now and can't even type properly...Any advice guys?

I agree if this 6 is far below your average, I would re-take. You risk lowering your BS but I'm sure you will still do well in the sciences. Also, depends on which type of schools you are applying to. Middle-top schools may screen that 6 out. I got a 6 in VR so I feel your pain. I got a 9 this time, so some improvement. I'll also be applying this cycle.

It's much more fun visiting these threads and this forum when you've taken the MCAT. It's torture otherwise.

Reactions: 1 user
There was one guy who had a similar break down (except you scored one point higher than him on BS). He got into a few DO schools and one MD school. So yes, you have a fair shot for DO schools. I have no clue about MD schools though.

One more piece of information: this was a retake and on my previous test I got a 11/9/11 distribution for a 31. Does this help my situation? Should I continue with my secondary application process? Gosh I'm so lost right now =(

How much does an 8 on PS hurt me?
Had a 9 on PS from my first exam and still managed to raise my overall score.
SO SO mad, I was practicing around 11's.

Test Date: 7/2/2014
FL AAMC Average: 32.6
Post-test expected score: 29-30
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS): 32 (11/9/12)
Comments: This is my second time taking it, I received a score of 11/6/14 last time. So, I am glad I was able to improve verbal but, I am disappointed I did not get a 10. :/. I am applying this cycle and I am not going to re-take. Does anyone know how medical schools will view my scores? I did get a 14 last time in BS. Mixed feelings right now.

dude, from what I've been reading these past few weeks, you should be excited. This is an EXCELLENT score, and a 9 on verbal will not stop you from getting into any school. DO NOT retake. Be proud of your hard work, congrats.

One more piece of information: this was a retake and on my previous test I got a 11/9/11 distribution for a 31. Does this help my situation? Should I continue with my secondary application process? Gosh I'm so lost right now =(

Not sure now. It is really difficult to get a better score once you are in the 30s, I am surprised you retook such a good score. There was one guy in the nontrad threads who went from a 33 to a 42, and he is still having a hard time getting in (some of the SDN adcoms/faculty were saying that it was bad he retook the 33, but he stated the 33 was expiring and hence he had to retake). However, his problem was what schools he was choosing and this in part lead to his problems being accepted (so take it with a grain of salt).

So you may still have a shot, but the retake did hurt you there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure now. It is really difficult to get a better score once you are in the 30s, I am surprised you retook such a good score. There was one guy in the nontrad threads who went from a 33 to a 42, and he is still having a hard time getting in (some of the SDN adcoms/faculty were saying that it was bad he retook the 33, but he stated the 33 was expiring and hence he had to retake). However, his problem was what schools he was choosing and this in part lead to his problems being accepted (so take it with a grain of salt).

So you may still have a shot, but the retake did hurt you there.

Yeah that was my problem too. The score was getting a bit dated and ironically enough, I took it in order to try and raise the verbal and become a more well rounded candidate. But I suppose that backfired rather badly. My one hope is that some of the schools I am applying to seem to average or at least look at all the scores and I pray that they can see that my verbal is not always utter poop....

AAMC FL Average: 30.5
Expected score: 23-26
Actual Score (PS/VR/BS): 9/11/9 = 29

Objectively, I'm not happy. But seeing how I prepared this summer and my no sleep the night of test day, I think I got what I deserved. Ever since I switched from a physical sciences degree into psychology, I've lost my scientific touch. But I'm reading more, getting into politics and humanities based stuff, and trying to take a full 180 on my strengths and weaknesses so an 11 in VR (which I never even got above 9 on for any practice) is a nice thing.

Don't know whether to retake or not at this point though. But since I didn't reach 30, no drinks for y'all :D hahaha i hate my life

Depends on what schools you are aiming for, and whether you will have enough time to book the test now and study for it more than you studied for this one. If you think you can then you should go for it. PS You did really well in verbal!

FL AAMC Average: 32
Post-test expected score:
Actual Score: 27 (8/9/10)
Comments:

I'm pretty devastated, since my averages were much, much higher. My only thought is that I shouldn't have taken it so soon after having major surgery. However, I already had to postpone my original mcat date due to the surgery, and I didn't think I could afford to take it any later.
I'm really at a loss for what to do. I think it's too late in the cycle to retake. Do I have a chance anywhere MD with a 3.95 gpa, stellar letters of recommendation, some research, and great ECs?

I just went from a 27 (10-8-9) MCAT in April 2013, to a 23 (9-4-10) MCAT in April 2014, to now a 32 (12-10-10) MCAT!

Miracles do happen folks! Do not ever give up no matter what!!

Absolutely shocked.
Congrats on the 32 but it's not that shocking. Your average is a 27, same as your first score.

Just out of curiosity: do schools that have a policy of averaging MCAT scores average in expired scores? Say you took a MCAT way back in 2009-2010 and it was a 40. If you applied this cycle, that 40 would do you no good.
But what if it was the other way around: you had a 30 or whatever 4 years ago and you got a 40 this year. Would THAT situation cause schools to average in the older score in order to "devalue" your high score?

Just out of curiosity: do schools that have a policy of averaging MCAT scores average in expired scores? Say you took a MCAT way back in 2009-2010 and it was a 40. If you applied this cycle, that 40 would do you no good.
But what if it was the other way around: you had a 30 or whatever 4 years ago and you got a 40 this year. Would THAT situation cause schools to average in the older score in order to "devalue" your high score?

I don't think schools would use an expired score to devalue a current, higher one. If it can't be used to apply/matriculate because it's expired, they can't use it in an average of other scores (expiration is expiration). Don't quote me on that, but that's just what I would logically think is the case. If they did use expired scores to devalue current ones, that would be an extreme and unnecessary measure to take to deflate your application.

Probably a dumb question but... what do you mean by getting verified?

you finish up your primary application (coursework/essays/activities/biographical stuff) + transcripts. hit submit and it takes 3-6 weeks for amcas to check it so that everything looks fine and coincides with whatever official documents you handed them. if anything is wrong it gets sent back to you to be resubmitted and to wait for another 3-6 weeks. this creates a delay for applying to med school.

dude, from what I've been reading these past few weeks, you should be excited. This is an EXCELLENT score, and a 9 on verbal will not stop you from getting into any school. DO NOT retake. Be proud of your hard work, congrats.

Thanks man. I am not going to re-take but still worried about my applications since it won't be complete until September. All I am missing is the committee letter. My Pre-med office sucks.

FL AAMC Average: 33.5
FL AAMC Range: 29-37
Post-test expected score: 33-35
Actual Score: 34 (11PS/10VR/13BS)

Comments: Just a littttle disappointed because I never got a VR score lower than a 11 on any of my AAMC tests (averaged around 12-13) so the 10 was definitely a shock for me. I'm happy with my PS score though and definitely happy with what I got on BS. Just glad to be done with the test! Congrats everyone : )

Last edited:
FL AAMC Range: 28-31
Post-test expected score: 28-30
Actual Score: 33 (12/8/13)
Previous Score:
28 (12/6/10)

Comments:
I was actually thinking about voiding my exam because of how difficult PS was. My main goals this MCAT were to raise my verbal while at least staying consistent with my other scores and get at least a 30. I hit them both and am honestly amazed at myself, after working my ass off this summer while working part time and dealing with a personal loss in the middle of studying. Shows how much hard work, a positive attitude, and determination can do for your goals. I know the 8 in verbal is not the best but I def am happy about it, hopefully i can get some interviews at least now. For the retakers and first timers, don't fret. Life is full of opportunity, just seize the time you have and everything will work out soon. Goodluck to everyone applying or soon to be applying!

Reactions: 1 users
you finish up your primary application (coursework/essays/activities/biographical stuff) + transcripts. hit submit and it takes 3-6 weeks for amcas to check it so that everything looks fine and coincides with whatever official documents you handed them. if anything is wrong it gets sent back to you to be resubmitted and to wait for another 3-6 weeks. this creates a delay for applying to med school.
Thank you!

FL AAMC Average: 30
Post-test expected score: 29
Actual Score: (PS/V/ BS) 23 (8/8/7)
Past Exam Score - First time

I'm sure I'm not the only one who scored low, I am over welmed by all the good scores so I had to post lol. Congrats to every one who rocked it!I already submitted my primary and secondary for in state EDP. Non traditional with 5 years prior military experience cGPA 3.6 sGPA 3.5. Great LORs and experience shadowing and have just finished an internship at a well known Sports Medicine practice. Upward trend in grades. Praying for a miracle! I used exam crackers and khan academy. I think my next step is to go with either Princeton or Berkeley review materials. I will retake the mcat this year and probably apply next cycle being it is so late in the game.
My stats are similar to yours...will that MCAT score ruin our chances? Im applying DO and have already sent in primaries and some secondaries...I dont know if I should continue or just give up...
I'm absolutely devastated..

hi I have a question. Was this test at 8 am? When did you leave the testing center?

I left around noon, and that is with me taking each break and spending a little bit of time on the trial section. My testing center also let us start in waves so everyone didn't shuffle in at once. Got checked in and was allowed to begin at 7:45ish. Might vary slightly depending on the testing center.

Hello everyone, I have been stalking this thread considering my mcat is coming up on the 27th of this month. So far I have been doing well on Kaplan full lengths. Well kind of. I have been doing well in BS, and VR but PS is killing me I cant break a 10. Any of you high Mcat scorers have any advice or tips to kill it with studying these last few weeks? thanks yall

Get the EK books. Especially for whichever subject you're struggling in. And don't be afraid to spend time focusing on your weaknesses.

Does anyone know if we have to do anything on our end to get our latest MCAT score updated/added on AACOMAS? Or does it update automatically?

Hello everyone, I have been stalking this thread considering my mcat is coming up on the 27th of this month. So far I have been doing well on Kaplan full lengths. Well kind of. I have been doing well in BS, and VR but PS is killing me I cant break a 10. Any of you high Mcat scorers have any advice or tips to kill it with studying these last few weeks? thanks yall

Are you using Kaplan, I assume? I scored an 11 on PS and is what I got on all of the AAMC FL test. Have you taken those yet?

Does anyone know if we have to do anything on our end to get our latest MCAT score updated/added on AACOMAS? Or does it update automatically?
You have to release it to AACOMAS through THX. You also have to input your AMCAS ID into the AACOMAS application. That is it though.

You have to go on your AAMC account where you can see your scores. From there you click a link on the bottom to Send Scores to wherever you want, and you'll have the option to select AACOMAS

I totally bombed. If I retake September 18 and get my scores by end of October, can I still apply this cycle?

I totally bombed. If I retake September 18 and get my scores by end of October, can I still apply this cycle?
It will be really late and the slots for interviews will be taken up a lot. It will be risky and possibly a waste of money, unless you have very killer stats.

are you verified? If you are and you feel like you could improve your score in a month then I would apply still. I'm a reapplicant and wasn't complete for my schools until December and I still managed to get a couple interviews with below average stats

are you verified? If you are and you feel like you could improve your score in a month then I would apply still. I'm a reapplicant and wasn't complete for my schools until December and I still managed to get a couple interviews with below average stats

MD or DO?

Both MD

Having said that, I would definitely avoid it if possible. I just didn't plan properly so I was kind of forced to wait that long.

I hear you. Just curious b/c it might come down to a Sept 12th retake date for me. App is ready to go, so I'd hate to delay another year (non-trad already).

Hey guys! I've been lurking up here for a while now but never made any post.
FL AAMC Average: 33.5
FL AAMC Range: 32-35
Post-test expected score: 30-35
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS) 29 (11/7/11)
My first time taken. I am very disappointed. I am a non-trad app, Texas resident with 3.48 cGPA, 3.68 sGPA and 4.0 post-bacc GPA. I am already late this cycle for TMDSAS. I don't want to waste anymore time retaking it. However, with this score I don't think I have a shot with MD schools anyways. I am not even sure if I am even competitive for D.O school. So bumped out!
Any advice?

Just looking at your stats, you are absolutely competitive for DO. Borderline for MD, but very possible if you apply broadly

Any thoughts on how strict the curve was for the exam?

this is just how I felt, but I never broke a 10 on PS FL's and i got a 10 on this MCAT date. very surprised. on the other hand, I consistently got 10+ on VR FL's and got a 9 on the real thing, so imo PS: very generous curve and VR: not so much. would like to hear other's thoughts though

this is just how I felt, but I never broke a 10 on PS FL's and i got a 10 on this MCAT date. very surprised. on the other hand, I consistently got 10+ on VR FL's and got a 9 on the real thing, so imo PS: very generous curve and VR: not so much. would like to hear other's thoughts though

Well the July 2nd PS section was difficult so the scale was probably generous as a result of that. What did you feel about the BS section?

honestly I don't even know. I always scored 10+ on PS and expected a generous curve, as well as feeling it wasn't too bad. I ended up with the lowest I ever got, an 8. verbal was my average, as was BS. wish I knew