The Official July 2, 2014 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

johnnytest

MS-4
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else taking it this July 2nd?!

Members don't see this ad.

Test Date: 7/2/2014
FL AAMC Average: 27
Post-test expected score: 29
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS) 31 (10/11/10)
Comments: How did I do that?!?!?! This is beyond amazing =D I hit all my max's for each section on test day, and even improved on verbal by a point. I honestly didn't think I could pull it off with life only giving me a little over a month to study. I'm still in shock. Best of luck to everyone else with their scores and apps!

Reactions: 2 users
This is the worst of all worlds for me. I got a 36 (13 V, 12BS, 11PS). It's not a bad score, but I was really hoping for one of two outcomes:
1) A 37+. Why? Because a 36 is still in the range of good but "normal" scores for admits. On the other hand, my GPA is abnormally low for admits, so I would need an abnormally good MCAT score to compensate. A 36 is not THAT good for a white dude with a low GPA. A 37 and you're getting into that hallowed "atypically good" territory.

2) A PS score of less than 10. I knew that I would get pretty decent scores on the verbal and bio and that the PS would bring me down. In that eventuality, barring a 37+, I would have preferred to get a 9 or lower in the PS, giving me an excuse to retake the MCAT even though my composite score would have been "good." It's gonna be a hard sell to adcoms as to why I would retake a 36 without any sections <10, from what I heard on this forum they don't look favorably on "score hunting" of that nature.

So I guess I will have to see how far a 36 will take me so late in the application cycle. FML lol.

As an aside: Dayuuum! People must have choked hard on that PS if my lame performance resulted in an 11. I was literally expecting an 8 after leaving just about 10 questions to total guesses. I suppose the questions I didn't completely guess on must have been totally on point. lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
FL AAMC Average: ~28
Post-test expected score: 26-30
Actual Score: (PS/V/BS) 27 (8/10/9)
Comments:

I don't know what to do. felt like that test wasn't too difficult, yet ended up with my lowest PS score. I'm a URM applying both MD and DO, and now I'm just confused. this sucks. anyone have any advice or an opinion on what I should do?

congrats to the rest of you who all seem to have crushed it, except for me of course lol. proud of you guys!

Your score is very similar to mine.

FL AAMC Average: 33.8
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS) 27 (9/9/9)
Comments:

So, I'm gonna be "that guy" on this thread, the one that people point to and say "I hope that doesn't happen to me." 6.8 points below my average is very startling. I felt bad after my test, and my predicted score was actually higher that what i got. I never got below a 12 on BS, or below a 10 on VR. PS was my worse section with an average of 9. I think that starting with PS distracted my efforts in the other sections. My BS score is what shocked me the most though.

Congrats to all who met or exceeded their expectations. DoctorLacrosse please take solace in knowing that you are not alone...

Gotta retake.....
You and me both. My below average score has inspired me. I know I can improve my score. This was my first time taking it and I bombed PS but did ok on VR and BS. I have signed up to retake in September so I'm going to try to stay positive. Good luck to you in your studying!!

Reactions: 1 user
Gotta retake.....
You and me both. My below average score has inspired me. I know I can improve my score. This was my first time taking it and I bombed PS but did ok on VR and BS. I have signed up to retake in September so I'm going to try to stay positive. Good luck to you in your studying!!

This is the worst of all worlds for me. I got a 36 (13 V, 12BS, 11PS). It's not a bad score, but I was really hoping for one of two outcomes:
1) A 37+. Why? Because a 36 is still in the range of good but "normal" scores for admits. On the other hand, my GPA is abnormally low for admits, so I would need an abnormally good MCAT score to compensate. A 36 is not THAT good for a white dude with a low GPA. A 37 and you're getting into that hallowed "atypically good" territory.

2) A PS score of less than 10. I knew that I would get pretty decent scores on the verbal and bio and that the PS would bring me down. In that eventuality, barring a 37+, I would have preferred to get a 9 or lower in the PS, giving me an excuse to retake the MCAT even though my composite score would have been "good." It's gonna be a hard sell to adcoms as to why I would retake a 36 without any sections <10, from what I heard on this forum they don't look favorably on "score hunting" of that nature.

So I guess I will have to see how far a 36 will take me so late in the application cycle. FML lol.

As an aside: Dayuuum! People must have choked hard on that PS if my lame performance resulted in an 11. I was literally expecting an 8 after leaving just about 10 questions to total guesses. I suppose the questions I didn't completely guess on must have been totally on point. lol.

Really man? Unless you're going for top 10 you should be fine..

Reactions: 1 users
I bombed the VR pretty badly. Not looking forward to studying for it all over again. I don't think I'd be ready to take it in September, that's so soon!

FL AAMC Average: 38
Post-test expected score: 36-41
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS) 40 (15/10/15)
Comments: Very happy with my BS and PS scores. Managed to identify 3 mistakes from the PS section in the last 15 min of the exam. Disappointed with my VR though. 10 was on the lower side of my AMC practices..

Reactions: 5 users
FL AAMC Average: 31
Post-test expected score: 30
Actual Score: (PS/V/ BS) 30 (12/7/11)
Past Exam Score (1/16/2014): 24 (8/9/7)

Comments:
Overall happy but worried about verbal. Definitely not planning on retaking, but I am happy that I jumped 4 points each in PS and BS, and at 11+ that was great. I am just worried about schools seeing the 7, but hoping the other two scores will help me out.

If anyone has any comments and such, that'd be great!

Your score is very similar to mine.

FL AAMC Average: 33.8
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS) 27 (9/9/9)
Comments:

So, I'm gonna be "that guy" on this thread, the one that people point to and say "I hope that doesn't happen to me." 6.8 points below my average is very startling. I felt bad after my test, and my predicted score was actually higher that what i got. I never got below a 12 on BS, or below a 10 on VR. PS was my worse section with an average of 9. I think that starting with PS distracted my efforts in the other sections. My BS score is what shocked me the most though.

Congrats to all who met or exceeded their expectations. DoctorLacrosse please take solace in knowing that you are not alone...

I felt horrible after getting a 26 last August. I was averaging 29s on my practice and was destroyed. I made a plan, forked out for TPR and achieved a score beyond my dream this time. I promise you can do this. Knowing what you can achieve on your practice, make a plan and try again. The real test can be a hit or miss anyway. Don't let a 27 get you down. You will do great next time if you choose to retake! If not, DO is a great option. :)

On the bright side, you could be asian.

You'll be fine, no 'FML' necessary.

Members don't see this ad :)

Dude, just stop. SDN is meant to be supportive. Those are comments you can keep to yourself.

Reactions: 27 users
FL AAMC Average: N/A
Post-test expected score: honestly, I just tried to forget about the exam.
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS) 33 (9/11/13)
Comments: I deserve it. I studied for maaaybe two weeks because of the emotional/schmoozy stuff going on in my life. Already signed up for a January retake!

33 is great! What are you aiming for? I assume with just 2 weeks you have a lot of space to improve though, so that is good.

FL AAMC Average: ~32 (11-10-11 with a strong jump in my last 3 VR practice sections due to hard work and EK 101)
Post-test expected score: 29-36
Actual Score: (PS/V/BS) [redacted] (xx-xx-xx-xx)

I was really happy with this because my initial goal was XX! I knew I had struggled with ps and was hoping for a XX (expected a X) and thought I did between XX and XX on the other two sections so I was right on the money. Congratulations to everyone who met their goal and good luck to anyone who needs to do it again. Feel free to ask any questions!

Last edited:
On the bright side, you could be asian.

You'll be fine, no 'FML' necessary.

Haha, I hope so. My GPA is pretty dang low.

PS: The "Asian" thing is a myth. I didn't check for all combinations, but for my particular combo of GPA and MCAT, I'd have a 5% higher chance of acceptance if I were Asian. That according to AAMCs "MCAT and GPA Grid.... 2013". For laughs, I checked the stats on African Americans and if I were black, my acceptance rate would be straight 100% lol. As it it, my odds are basically a coin flip.

Haha, I hope so. My GPA is pretty dang low.

PS: The "Asian" thing is a myth. I didn't check for all combinations, but for my particular combo of GPA and MCAT, I'd have a 5% higher chance of acceptance if I were Asian. That according to AAMCs "MCAT and GPA Grid.... 2013". For laughs, I checked the stats on African Americans and if I were black, my acceptance rate would be straight 100% lol. As it it, my odds are basically a coin flip.

Generally it is a little more difficult for Asians. Maybe in not your particular case. I wouldn't call it a 'myth'

FL Range: 19-27
Expected score: 23-30
Actual Score (PS/VR/BS): 10/9/9 = 28

Thank you Jesus!!! All smiles over here. This was my third attempt. Former scores were 20 and 18, respectively. 10 point jump from last time...there's really nothing more I can say except...a DELAY is not a DENIAL...never give up on your dreams :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
33 is great! What are you aiming for? I assume with just 2 weeks you have a lot of space to improve though, so that is good.
Thank you! to be real I was aiming for high 30s. I knew (and I know) it's laughable to ask that with so little effort put in, but I never intended on scoring my exam. Come test day though, the hope fairy paid me a visit and I just let things happen, you know?

BTW, congrats on being done! So so proud of you and everyone for making it through :)

Also the beer drinking has commenced. I have work tomorrow but ohhhh wellllll

FL AAMC Average: 30
Actual Score: (PS/V/ BS) 23 (8/8/7)
Past Exam Score - First time

I'm sure I'm not the only one who scored low, I am over welmed by all the good scores so I had to post lol. Congrats to every one who rocked it!I already submitted my primary and secondary for in state EDP. Non traditional with 5 years prior military experience cGPA 3.6 sGPA 3.5. Great LORs and experience shadowing and have just finished an internship at a well known Sports Medicine practice. Upward trend in grades. Praying for a miracle! I used exam crackers and khan academy. I think my next step is to go with either Princeton or Berkeley review materials. I will retake the mcat this year and probably apply next cycle being it is so late in the game.

I'll join the party!

(11/2/9) for an amazing (sarcastic) 22...

The sad part is I'm not all that surprised by the Verbal score. Would have figured PS and BS would be flipped but I'll take it, that's not really the problem lol... Overall... It is what it is, and it's not the end of the world. This really really sucks in the sense everyone (med schools) is gana see my 2, but it is what it is. Time to move on and fix it, it's not the end of the world (for those worried you will bomb the test). But this is definitely not a good feeling.

Congrats to all the great scores, most ppls turned out great! For those who need to retake, just gotta keep pushing and working hard.

I'm just quite impressed at how many people are dedicated to trying to get the best possible scores, a lot of bright and dedicated minds here. Keep it up everyone!

Thank you! to be real I was aiming for high 30s. I knew (and I know) it's laughable to ask that with so little effort put in, but I never intended on scoring my exam. Come test day though, the hope fairy paid me a visit and I just let things happen, you know?

BTW, congrats on being done! So so proud of you and everyone for making it through :)

Also the beer drinking has commenced. I have work tomorrow but ohhhh wellllll

I can agree with feeling like you can do so much better. I studied for around 3 weeks and went on a vacation to Cancun in the middle of my studying (surprise trip lol). I'm devastated and know I can break 30, I just really do not want to go through this again. going to take the week to decide.

congrats again guys. so many of you rocked it. be grateful for what you achieved when so many would do anything to be in your shoes.

Post-test expected score: 30-33
Actual Score: (PS/V/BS) 32(11/10/11) - Studied about 3 weeks at 3hrs/day. Was my highest VR score; realized everytime I would check over answers and second guess myself I would switch to wrong answer. Trust your gut! Little let down about the BS - was getting 12s on practice, but eh I'm alive.

About had a heart attack when i went to check it and my computer froze. Now my friend owes me 32 shots, so I'll take it! hahaha Good job to all! To those who are retaking - Good luck!

Post-test expected score: 30-33
Actual Score: (PS/V/BS) 32(11/10/11) - Studied about 3 weeks at 3hrs/day. Was my highest VR score; realized everytime I would check over answers and second guess myself I would switch to wrong answer. Trust your gut! Little let down about the BS - was getting 12s on practice, but eh I'm alive.

About had a heart attack when i went to check it and my computer froze. Now my friend owes me 32 shots, so I'll take it! hahaha Good job to all! To those who are retaking - Good luck!

Iheard it's not safe to take 32 shots all at once.. so if you feel like sharing..........

magnum.gif

I would say a 36 is still competitive for a top 10, the only other thing you would need is a compelling story or something else unique.

IMO a 3.8/3.8/36 is a great applicant for top 10 schools. Former high school tutor had a 3.7/38 and got 4 invites from top 20 schools. Matriculated into a top 20.

FL AAMC Average: 27.5
Post-test expected score: 28-30
Predicted score ( PS / V / BS) 29 (9/8/12)
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS) 19 (5/4/10)
Comments:

This is my first post. I had a lot of things happen to me it seems but no time for excuses. This was my first time taking the exam. I felt better and finished 8 minutes early on the BS section. I am disturbed by the results. I am going to retake it but feel like I was sucker punched. I have worked through my anxiety, family problems, and finical problems... guess it wasn't enough.

There is no doubt that I am going to be retaking the exam. I just hope that I can improve enough to be competitive for DOs and possibly MDs. I have published now three time before my senior year but was planning on the post-bac or masters program.

Advice would be greatly appreciated.

As some guy told me at the gas station. Its all brogre now

AAMC FL Average: 30.5
Expected score: 23-26
Actual Score (PS/VR/BS): 9/11/9 = 29

Objectively, I'm not happy. But seeing how I prepared this summer and my no sleep the night of test day, I think I got what I deserved. Ever since I switched from a physical sciences degree into psychology, I've lost my scientific touch. But I'm reading more, getting into politics and humanities based stuff, and trying to take a full 180 on my strengths and weaknesses so an 11 in VR (which I never even got above 9 on for any practice) is a nice thing.

Don't know whether to retake or not at this point though. But since I didn't reach 30, no drinks for y'all :D hahaha i hate my life

Just some hope for all you all that are out there. I took my first mcat on June 20, 2013 and made a 13. I was so devastated that I was on the verge of giving up. But I stuck to it and did not let a test determine my fate of getting accepted to a medical school. I studied for July 2, 2014 test and received a 30. Just believe and I promise you will see improvement. I know my score is not that great, but I worked very hard to get it. DO NOT GIVE UP.

Reactions: 14 users
FL AAMC Average: 32-33 ish
FL AAMC Range: 29-35
Post-test expected score: 28-33... honestly NO clue. I felt good after the test, but I was going crazy a few days ago.
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS) 35 (11/10/14)
Comments:

Long-time lurker of this thread. Finally posting though... but I am ABSOLUTELY BEYOND STOKED. My goal was a 34, so scoring one point above is just bonus for me! I ended up getting the EXACT same score as on AAMC 11, but probably just a coincidence. I only used Examkrackers to study, and people have been criticizing this tactic for some reason. I thought EK was great! Post test feelings pretty much reflect my score in terms of relative difficulty. Bio I thought was pretty easy, physics threw me for a loop in the beginning, and I was pretty confident with verbal. For the record, I have sometimes struggled with finishing the verbal section. However, I finished verbal with 3 minutes left on test day. I felt way more focused than normal on that section, but I definitely don't think the verbal section is longer on the real thing. I could never seem to score above 10 on verbal (got as low as an 8 on the AAMCs), so I am extremely pleased with the results. GOOD RIDDANCE MCAT. Best of luck to all those who need to take this test, and I hope my story can inspire you to keep going even when it gets tough.

FL AAMC: ranged from 33 to 39 Usual: PS 12 V 11 BS 12/13
Post-test expected score: ( PS / V / BS) (11/11/13)
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS) 35 (10/11/14)
Comments: So the Physics was as bad as it felt. I only scored below an 11 once on AAMC, but I'm still psyched overall. Didn't actually expect a 14 in BS even though it felt super easy. I was always between 11 and 12 on verbal so I'm fine with 11. No way I'm taking it again even though I know I could do better on physics. I don't want them to think 14 on bio was a fluke.
very similar distribution... I was very upset w physics too (avg 12, so could have had a 37).. but I think we should be happy =]

Just some hope for all you all that are out there. I took my first mcat on June 20, 2013 and made a 13. I was so devastated that I was on the verge of giving up. But I stuck to it and did not let a test determine my fate of getting accepted to a medical school. I studied for July 2, 2014 test and received a 30. Just believe and I promise you will see improvement. I know my score is not that great, but I worked very hard to get it. DO NOT GIVE UP.

Holy crap... a 13 to 30? How....

FL AAMC Average: 29
FL AAMC Range: 26-34
Post-test expected score: 27
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS) 31 (11/9/11)

Comments: I'm so happy with these results! I really had no clue what to expect after that exam--PS was a nightmare! I didn't really have a solid goal score (maybe that would have helped), but I just wanted something above a 30, and that is exactly what I got! I did expect one or two more points in BS, but I'm fine with an 11.

I never planned on applying to any top tier MD schools, so I don't plan on retaking the exam.

I can't believe the wait is over and that we are all done with the July 2nd exam!

Congrats to all who got their goal scores, and best of luck to all of those retaking the test. I'm rooting for you! :clap:

You the real MVP.

Reactions: 4 users
FL AAMC Average: 32-33 ish
FL AAMC Range: 29-35
Post-test expected score: 28-33... honestly NO clue. I felt good after the test, but I was going crazy a few days ago.
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS) 35 (11/10/14)
Comments:

Long-time lurker of this thread. Finally posting though... but I am ABSOLUTELY BEYOND STOKED. My goal was a 34, so scoring one point above is just bonus for me! I ended up getting the EXACT same score as on AAMC 11, but probably just a coincidence. I only used Examkrackers to study, and people have been criticizing this tactic for some reason. I thought EK was great! Post test feelings pretty much reflect my score in terms of relative difficulty. Bio I thought was pretty easy, physics threw me for a loop in the beginning, and I was pretty confident with verbal. For the record, I have sometimes struggled with finishing the verbal section. However, I finished verbal with 3 minutes left on test day. I felt way more focused than normal on that section, but I definitely don't think the verbal section is longer on the real thing. I could never seem to score above 10 on verbal (got as low as an 8 on the AAMCs), so I am extremely pleased with the results. GOOD RIDDANCE MCAT. Best of luck to all those who need to take this test, and I hope my story can inspire you to keep going even when it gets tough.

I completely agree with the statement about EK. I used solely EK material as well and did one point better than to goal I set for myself (got a XX). I don't know why people dog on it.

Last edited:
FL AAMC Range: 29-32
Post-test expected score: 28
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS) 26 (7/8/11)

Comments: I am completely shocked. I had never scored below a 10 on VR, and felt that the VR section was actually easy. I expected a 10-11. The PS section was difficult for me, but I tutor Chemistry & Physics and expected way better. 11 on the BS was a nice surprise, but that section seemed very easy as well.

We had non-standard testing conditions that day (the room was 92-94 degrees due to an A/C failure) and the center filed an exception report with AMCAS. Unfortunately I did not file my own report within 5 days (was not aware of that constraint) so I don't get any special consideration. I am not sure how much blame to place on the test center conditions, but there *is* an inverse relationship between my section scores and the room temperature...the A/C kicked on halfway through my exam.

Obviously re-taking (8/27), but very concerned it might be too late in the game for this year's cycle. Anyone think a 26 is within range for a DO? I'm a non-trad with low stats because of my first UG degree (3.05 GPA). I managed 3.4 postbacc (last 18 months around a 3.75), have insane ECs (leadership included), LORs, and got one of only five year-long paid research fellowships offered by my (well-respected) university.

Sorry to hear that. When the VR section is easy, the curve is way harsher, meaning like one question equals 1 point for the first several points.

I think your OK for DO...is your GPA a 3.4 with grade replacement? I think you should def apply DO this cycle, but also obviously try and rock your 8/27 MCAT. GL I know you can do it!!!

I think a 26 is definitely in range for a DO school.

In my communications with them last cycle, acceptances were granted to students with a 3.2 cGPA and 27 MCAT

FL AAMC Average: 40.5
FL AAMC Range: in order - 39, 43, 43, 37
Post-test expected score: 39 or 40
Actual Score: 40 (13/13/14)
Comments:
On practice exams I was getting 14 or 15 on PS every time. This one felt harder and I was less confident, so I expected 12 or 13.
Verbal seemed pretty normal and 13 is a pretty normal score for me.
BS seemed easy and I felt really good about it so I fully expected a 14.
Overall I predicted at least 12/13/14, with possibly a point better in any section. And... that's pretty much exactly how it panned out.
Feels good to have it done and be able to move on.

Congratulations and good luck everyone!

Reactions: 2 users
FL AAMC Average: ~35
FL AAMC Range:32-38
Post-test expected score: 34-35
Actual Score: 37(14/9/14)
Comments:

Definitely pleased with my score, only complaint is freaking verbal. Okay, I probably definitely deserved an 9, was hoping for a miracle otherwise however. Hopefully it won't keep me out of MD schools.

Post-test expected score: 26-31..no idea..
Actual Score: (PS/V/ BS) 33 (11/11/11)
Past Exam Score - 29

good job everyone. good luck to those waiting for interviews and those studying to retake. hope to see yall at some interviews!

Okay, so this is off topic from the scores people are getting, but how many of you are planning to start applying next year? I'm starting to get worried about schools not accepting these scores... :eek:

Considering it only takes 23 days to get verified, it's not too late. Just hand it your secondaries by September.

Hello everyone, I have been stalking this thread considering my mcat is coming up on the 27th of this month. So far I have been doing well on Kaplan full lengths. Well kind of. I have been doing well in BS, and VR but PS is killing me I cant break a 10. Any of you high Mcat scorers have any advice or tips to kill it with studying these last few weeks? thanks yall

Soo....first time posting. And here are my scores:
11/6/15.... for a 32.

I've never scored so low on verbal and I definitely didn't think I did that badly. Yet there it is. I need advice. What should I do? Do I retake? I'm very happy with my PS and BS but that verbal really hurts. And yes, I'm applying this cycle. I'm really lost right now and can't even type properly...Any advice guys?