The Official May 22, 2015 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fenderboi930

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think many of you will agree that today is a great day to officially prepare for the May 22nd MCAT!!!

I was against the April 2015 MCAT because a typical 3 month schedule doesn't seem to work for
students and/or working test takers. With a little over 4 months of preparation we can go in with confidence!
It's all new and really scary--so let's kick MCAT butt together!!

I was also wondering, wouldn't many professional MCAT test takers and tutors want to take the MCAT 2015 as soon
as possible (April MCAT) so they can better they're material or teaching? Wouldn't that just destroy the curve?

Members don't see this ad.

For those that took the exam in May (or even April) and were simultaneously taking college courses, was it doable?

I think I'd rather take the exam in April 2016, so it doesn't coincide with finals. I'd also like to start studying in December, or do you guys think that would be too early?

(I'll worry about exam materials and actual study plans as that time comes nearer).

I honestly don't know how someone would study for this test 100% and get a good score while taking finals/college courses. Obviously some people do it, they are just far smarter than I :p

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks, guys!

@Dreamstoo: Honestly, I'm wary of taking full length practice tests until I've completed reading/practicing all the basic content. Or is it just to see how well you've learned the material and what to expect for the other material? (Unless I totally misunderstood haha)

Changing gears a little. I really wanted to just sit around drink beer and watch sports center all day but I'm starting to hear my AMCAS calling me a little. Anyone else feel the same way?

hahaha yup, even though i had mimosas for brunch, i still hear it. its getting quieter though :D

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
@XxThaDoggxX: Muahaha, yeah some are just able to handle time and studying better than others. Not sure how I'll fare, but I'm up for the challenge. And I might be targeting a mid April date, so I won't have to worry about Finals as much (just the last set tests before finals).

I did in fact also take the test yesterday, so I will give an outline of what I prepared with, what I wish I had done differently, etc...

1) Chem/phys was easy for me. CARS took me by the hand, broke my heart with soft lullabies, and twirled me into a furnace. Bio/biochem was easy as well, although there was definitely some passages that I just couldn't get myself to completely understand. Psych/soc was either GREAT or absolutely terrible... in other words, half of the test gave me a heart attack (almost vomited) and the other half gave me Superman-like confidence in my score. No issues here with lag/technicalities.

2) I was in a Kaplan course, used only the Kaplan books, took 6 Kaplan practice tests, the AAMC practice test, and a little of chem/phys and CARS passages from the AAMC packages. I felt great about most of the material, and even with some of the stuff I didn't understand or recognize I was able to eliminate 2 answer choices usually. The test is a game of elimination and recognition. You just need to be confident with your answer and move forward. That strategy has worked for me most of the time.

3) I scored 80%/79%/90%/90% on the AAMC sample test, but the actual test was much more difficult (especially CARS). I'm hoping to score above 80% percentile, but that could be completely jeopardized by my CARS performance. I didn't read a ton growing up, and I have always struggled with comprehension of random literature/articles.

4) If I could do it again and start from the beginning, I would have worked through ALL of the AAMC-provided materials. You NEED to go through all that they offer if you want to feel comfortable come test day. :)

Good luck y'all!

For those that took the exam in May (or even April) and were simultaneously taking college courses, was it doable?

I think I'd rather take the exam in April 2016, so it doesn't coincide with finals. I'd also like to start studying in December, or do you guys think that would be too early?

(I'll worry about exam materials and actual study plans as that time comes nearer).
I just got done taking classes and I think the exam was fine. I didn't really "study" for it in the same way most do here, but all my pre-reqs were pretty much within the last 3 semesters, including an extraordinarily rigorous biochem course last semester. I wasn't really surprised by anything on the test. I think it's probably much easier if you're taking your pre-reqs right beforehand rather than 3 years in the past.

Last edited:
Thanks, guys!

@Dreamstoo: Honestly, I'm wary of taking full length practice tests until I've completed reading/practicing all the basic content. Or is it just to see how well you've learned the material and what to expect for the other material? (Unless I totally misunderstood haha)

Content is only half the battle. The MCAT is about applying it. I'm not even done with content and I'm only about 1/2-2/3 through and I will have 3 FLs done by tomorrow night (done with two already, taking one tomorrow). It helps to prepare yourself mentally for a 7.5 hour test. It's mentally exhausting. Both times after I finished, I just saw my score. Get a general idea how I scored and then I end up getting very sleepy all of a sudden... lol. My eyes also get very dry by the last 20 questions or so in psych/sociology every time. Had to step away from my screen and stretch for a minute or so on my last exam.

Hey guys,

August test taker here. Wish you all the best with your scores and further applications. Thanks so much for taking the time to tell us about your experience! Personally, I feel like hearing about experience and overall thoughts are more helpful than knowing specifics on materials as that can change and is essentially already provided for us. Your posts have definitely been helpful with mental preparation AND material prep.

Great job guys, taking the new test on an early date in the first new cycle takes a lot so don't discredit yourself!

Best of luck with the rest of your application cycles!

Took the exam May 22. I didnt really have technical problems even though a lot of the people at my site did.

I studied off and on for 3 months using TPR 2015, old Kaplan books, Audio Osmosis, Chad Videos, Khan Academy, and google searched random topics.

Chem/Physics: This section was difficult, but not horrible. I notice that my section had A LOT of biochemistry. I did not use a lot of formulas. It seems like they want you to get the bigger picture and not memorize the small details.

CARS: I didnt think that this section was hard. The passages was really interesting to me. There was only one or two wtf passage, which was previously mentioned (although I thought the "weekend" was the worst). But after skipping it and rereading it, I didnt think it was that bad. But overall I think it went well. The only practice I did for this section was the AAMC practice test.

Bio/Org/Biochem: This section was kind of difficult. They asked a lot of "trivial" questions that you would never think they would ask. Lol. But overall the section was not bad. I felt like a lot things that I studied was not on the exam. I didnt get any organic chemistry or physiology. Mostly biology and biochemistry.

Pysch/Sociology: I only studied 3-4 days on this section. However, I didnt think it was bad at all. Most of the questions you could answer using the passage or common sense. However there was many questions that asked about which method is being use, and you either knew the answer or had to guess. I wish I would have spent a week reviewing for this section. But overall I think I did well.

Chem/Phys > Bio/Org/ Biochem> CARS > Psych/Sociology.

Took the exam May 22. I didnt really have technical problems even though a lot of the people at my site did.

I studied off and on for 3 months using TPR 2015, old Kaplan books, Audio Osmosis, Chad Videos, Khan Academy, and google searched random topics.

Chem/Physics: This section was difficult, but not horrible. I notice that my section had A LOT of biochemistry. I did not use a lot of formulas. It seems like they want you to get the bigger picture and not memorize the small details.

CARS: I didnt think that this section was hard. The passages was really interesting to me. There was only one or two wtf passage, which was previously mentioned (although I thought the "weekend" was the worst). But after skipping it and rereading it, I didnt think it was that bad. But overall I think it went well. The only practice I did for this section was the AAMC practice test.

Bio/Org/Biochem: This section was kind of difficult. They asked a lot of "trivial" questions that you would never think they would ask. Lol. But overall the section was not bad. I felt like a lot things that I studied was not on the exam. I didnt get any organic chemistry or physiology. Mostly biology and biochemistry.

Pysch/Sociology: I only studied 3-4 days on this section. However, I didnt think it was bad at all. Most of the questions you could answer using the passage or common sense. However there was many questions that asked about which method is being use, and you either knew the answer or had to guess. I wish I would have spent a week reviewing for this section. But overall I think I did well.

This sums up my experience as well. Although I did have some physiology, and I thought some other CARS passages were harder than that one. Don't really know what to expect. I thought Chemistry/Physics was the hardest and Psych/Soc the easiest. Now to wait 3 weeks. :/

Did you have previous background in psych/soc to only spend 3-4 days? That's crazy haha.

Members don't see this ad :)
I honestly don't know how someone would study for this test 100% and get a good score while taking finals/college courses. Obviously some people do it, they are just far smarter than I :p

I agree. I figured out I wanted to go to medical school junior year. Took Orgo I-II, Gen Chem I-II, Physics I-II, and biology I-II within two full semesters and four summer semesters (I took all those classes in exactly one year) on top of an internship at a hospital, tutoring, and getting an EMT-cert. NO WAY I would've had the time. I took a gap year to get clinical experience as an EMT and study for the mcat. With all the extra-curricular stuff pre-meds have to do, I don't see where you could get the time. best scenario would be to take a light semester and makeup for it the following year with summer courses.

I know someone that studied during spring break and two weeks after. Somehow scored in the 90% percentile for the April MCAT. Unreal considering his Kaplan test scores were pretty decent (high 490s). Didn't even finish content review. However, his CARS was already around a 11-12 on the old VR from the start. I've noticed people with high CARS scores at the start tend to need less time to do well. I guess because most of it the exam is comprehending passages.

I do know someone who studied during his last round of midterms/finals who also prepped for only 1.5-2 months. Also started with a 12+ VR and ended up getting a high 30.

But at least from experience, most people who got their "goal" score got it after a whole summer of studying.

I'd recommend pushing two courses into a summer school session the following year. take the bare minimum classes you can take in one semester to get the financial aid you need. Start studying in January and register for a June exam. Study every single day. Take time off when you feel burnout coming. only a day though.

The craziest thing happened with me at my MCAT yesterday. Throughout the test, many of the test-takers (myself included) experienced technical difficulties with the computers at our testing site in Lansing, MI. My computer in particular froze a few times when clicking the "Next" button, and I'd be stuck at a white screen for a few seconds and then like 7 or 8 seconds would suddenly disappear from the timer; whenever I'd try to scroll down the passages there was a bit of a delay, and worst of all, sometimes when I'd select my answer choice the bubble would not fill in completely so I'd click on it again, only for the bubble to get filled and then unfilled within a couple of seconds. I'm pretty sure I filled in every answer, but there's a chance that one or two of my answers were left blank because of this. Even the security staff's equipment didn't work completely. Usually, they scan your finger print each time you enter or leave the test room, but for us, they only did once when we entered the test room, which was pretty strange considering how strict with security they are at the Prometric centers.

Anyway, a LOT of the students complained about these issues during the 30-minute lunch break. Heck, some students' computer problems were so bad that they appeared to leave midway through the exam! Apparently their computers crashed completely, and the proctors were unable to fix it for them. Anyway, after I got home from the MCAT, I got an e-mail from AAMC offering to let me re-take the entire MCAT again on June 2 free of charge because of these difficulties we faced, and promising that I will get my score on June 30, the same date that I would get it with my May 22 MCAT. I thought it went rather well for me, particularly CARS and Psychology/Sociology, but do you think I should just take it again? All things considered, I suppose I could've prepared a bit more for this exam but who doesn't feel that way after they've taken the MCAT, no matter how much they study. I'd probably feel that way even if I take it again on June 2, but it won't hurt to get about another week of review in. The only thing keeping me from taking it again is that it was a freaking 6-hour exam, and I was pretty drained by the time I was finishing up the last section. That said, I'm not 100% sure if all of my answers went through; while I did skim through all of my answer choices at the end of each section to make sure I answered them all the way I meant to, there's a chance that I might've left 1 or 2 answers blank because of the technical difficulty I had with unresponsiveness. Not to mention I was a bit pressed for time in the CARS section because of all the time losses and software lags, which made me skim the entire last paragraph of the last passage pretty quickly. What would you guys do, even if you thought you did reasonably well?

I know someone that studied during spring break and two weeks after. Somehow scored in the 90% percentile for the April MCAT. Unreal considering his Kaplan test scores were pretty decent (high 490s). Didn't even finish content review. However, his CARS was already around a 11-12 on the old VR from the start. I've noticed people with high CARS scores at the start tend to need less time to do well. I guess because most of it the exam is comprehending passages.

I do know someone who studied during his last round of midterms/finals who also prepped for only 1.5-2 months. Also started with a 12+ VR and ended up getting a high 30.

But at least from experience, most people who got their "goal" score got it after a whole summer of studying.

I don't believe what anybody tells me they got on their MCAT until I see it or if I'm really close with them. Off the select people I know who took the MCAT, one person said they got a 42 and the other said 38. Obviously the odds of me meeting somebody who got a 42 is low, so I'm assuming he is a liar. Funny thing is, he never ended up going to med school and said he changed his mind.

I don't believe what anybody tells me they got on their MCAT until I see it or if I'm really close with them. Off the select people I know, one person said they got a 42 and the other said 38. Obviously the odds of me meeting somebody who got a 42 is low, so I'm assuming he is a liar. Funny thing is, he never ended up going to med school and said he changed his mind.

They voluntarily told me their scores. None of my friends really lie about them. I do agree that "42" thing is true. My friend's roommate got a 43 and no one believed him. He ended up taking a picture of it and proved it to everyone who doubted it lol.

It's the highest score I've heard.

Most of my friends who have taken it got 30 flat or lower. I only know 3 people who scored 35+ in real life. One of them is very modest and said he did "pretty good." It slipped out once in a conversation what he really got. He matriculated into a high mid MD tier school so I'm sure he was not fabricating his score.

But I do agree, people do fabricate their scores at times. I personally wouldn't advertise my score.

Last edited:
Took the May 22 exam and computer froze for about 20 minutes on first section with the clock still ticking. They had to reboot my computer a few times, it was a mess. Anyway, I just kept going and tried to finish the best I could but was clicking random answers for the last 10 or so questions. Feel like I nailed the other sections pretty well, so my guess is my cumulative score is acceptable, but chem section is probably below average. They're giving the options of just going with the results, getting a refund, or rescheduling free of charge. All options are looking equally appealing.

Took the May 22 exam and computer froze for about 20 minutes on first section with the clock still ticking. They had to reboot my computer a few times, it was a mess. Anyway, I just kept going and tried to finish the best I could but was clicking random answers for the last 10 or so questions. Feel like I nailed the other sections pretty well, so my guess is my cumulative score is acceptable, but chem section is probably below average. They're giving the options of just going with the results, getting a refund, or rescheduling free of charge. All options are looking equally appealing.

Hm.. that's a tough situation. I remember talking to someone who did very well on the MCAT and currently is an attending. He said if you are left guessing on a whole passage you should still count the test if you were OK with everything else. Another medical student told me he had to blatantly guess on about 5 questions on his PS due to time constraints. He ended up fine I assume since he attends a good state MD.

Did you have previous background in psych/soc to only spend 3-4 days? That's crazy haha.

No. I only took general psych and sociology, and that was a couple years ago. It was just a personal decision that I made because I didnt think the material was that bad. I just thought of it as another CARS section. However during the 3-4 days I did study I made sure to go over important theories, methods, and people. I did decent on the MCAT practice test on this section ~80%. I honestly thought it was better to devote time to the BS & PS section. But that is just my experience.

I studied while a full time student. I was taking 15 credits (Spanish lit, abnormal psych, stats, biochem, and physiology and development), so it wasn't a super difficult schedule but it certainly wasn't easy, with the bio and biochem classes. I studied 3-4 hours a day for 4 months. At the time, it really sucked. I had to cut back on my extracurriculars a bit, and I definitely didn't have time for a job. And I think mentally it was just very stressful, knowing I had so much going on at once. But I ended up getting a 4.0 this semester and I think I did well on the MCAT. So in retrospect, it wasn't really that bad. And I had plenty of free time. But yes, it is mentally draining. I think it's smart to take it in April rather than May, unless you're taking pre-reqs that semester, in which case you should wait until May, in my opinion. If I had taken it in April, I probably would have started studying after Christmas.

My experience...

Chem/Phys:
This has been and will always be my weakest section. I can do science, I can do math, but please don't combine the two. Keeping that in mind, this section was by far the most difficult for me. I made the mistake of lingering too long in the beginning and then having the section end right as I landed on my last discrete that would have been an easy point for me. :( I think I ended up with 1-2 unfinished, which was really upsetting, but it is what it is. There was more physics than I expected. Less than on the old exam, but you will be doing a serious disservice to your score if you blow off studying physics just because there's less on this test. And just about all calculations I had to do (less than 5 IIRC) relied on one having memorized the equations. They're equations you would expect to memorize anyway, but my point is: study your goddamn physics!!! And of course there was a ****-ton of biochemistry. You need to know how enzymes work and you ABSOLUTELY need to know your amino acids (and, ahem, their codes). Very little orgo, but just enough that again, you really can't blow it off.

Comparison to practice material: harder than the AAMC stuff, but I'm naturally bad at physics and chemistry anyway so take that with a grain of salt. On the other hand, it was thankfully way easier than EK's Chem/Phys!

CARS: I usually dominate CARS and I don't think today was any different. There was one passage that was harder than anything I've ever seen from AAMC, but other than that I flew through it.

Comparison to practice material: Other than the EK FLs, the only other passages I used for this section were from AAMC. I really think the question packs are invaluable. Other companies are good for the practice, but only AAMC's passages are like the real thing.

Bio/Biochem: And here we see biochem once again taking center stage. The new MCAT has a love affair with amino acids; I almost laughed in the middle of the exam. You want to know what makes **** happen in your body. The how is not as important as the what, if ya know what I mean. This section also involved a greater amount of data interpretation than the Chem/Phys section, but there were also instances where I felt like reading the passage was a waste of time. Oh, and study yo lab methods!

Comparison to practice material: very similar to AAMC stuff and a little easier than EK. TBR's passages were good for this section, whereas they weren't quite as helpful for the Chem/Phys (but still worth doing).

Psych/Socio: I maybe spent 5 days studying for this section, to be honest. There were a few terms that were unfamiliar to me, but in most cases could be chosen or eliminated through process of elimination. You absolutely need to prepare for this section through practice passages because simply knowing definitions is not going to get you a good score. I thought TPR's passages were good, maybe a little better than EK's for this. Until we get a good idea of how this section works, you just have to be prepared to encounter terms you've never seen before. Like CARS, this is a section where process of elimination skills are really important. But it's my favorite section!

Comparison to practice material: perhaps a little more difficult than what AAMC has provided, and on par with EK.

Overall: I was most surprised at the breadth of content this exam covered. Almost every topic was addressed in some way. More often than not, any difficulties I had with a question stemmed from my own lack of preparation vs. not having seen the material before. This test isn't a monster, you just need to know your stuff. :)

Would you say your schedule pretty much covered everything you needed to know? Was there anything you wish you would have done differently? Sorry if this was asked already; I'm sure lots of people have been asking similar questions :)

O.k just curious. Was I the only one yesterday that while taking the test did not notice a passage change? During the bio section I clicked "next" and did not realize I was on a new passage. I was three questions into the new passage before I noticed.

O.k just curious. Was I the only one yesterday that while taking the test did not notice a passage change? During the bio section I clicked "next" and did not realize I was on a new passage. I was three questions into the new passage before I noticed.

Haha I did something similar in the bio section too. I feel like even within the passages some of the questions could be answered as a stand alone.

same..felt like lots of information from the passage was not addressed at all in the questions. definitely skipped reading passages in ps and bioonce I realized this lol

Also serious question for everyone: if you do need to retake, would you do it in july? I am thinking our only choice is to keep studying till June or to just accept whatever scores we get...what are you guys doing??

Yeah I was lucky it was actually one of the easier passages.

As for your other issue. That really depends of your situation. Would you still be trying to apply this year in that scenario?

If I could go back I would work on my timing. Those CARS passages were sooo long. Guess I just need to work on reading speed. Most likely going to end up retaking. If I can touch the 50-60% I'll be happy. But, total I have about 20 unanswered questions for the whole exam and about 10 with quick guesses. For future test takers I would say just study hard and do TONS of practice problems. I feel bad for those who had test center issues. I'm mostly likely going to end up doing a July date. AMCAS time!

Yeah I was lucky it was actually one of the easier passages.

As for your other issue. That really depends of your situation. Would you still be trying to apply this year in that scenario?
yup definitely applying this year..I honestly feel ok with the exam, but you never know. I could have actually done a lot worse than I think. on the other hand, I have absolutely no motivation to endure those 8 hours ever again.

same..felt like lots of information from the passage was not addressed at all in the questions. definitely skipped reading passages in ps and bioonce I realized this lol

Also serious question for everyone: if you do need to retake, would you do it in july? I am thinking our only choice is to keep studying till June or to just accept whatever scores we get...what are you guys doing??
Waiting on June 12th prelim percentiles..I'm applying with anything over 75. If not, I'll probably end up taking a gap year or something. Would like to hear opinions regarding July, though.

edit: I'm not really sure just how many people were affected by the lag issues and whether it will reflect in the percentiles if at all. Bio and Verbal weren't good for me, but it appears that most people had their lag hit in those two sections so maybe the percentiles are a little more generous there. I also don't know if the June 2nd percentiles will factor into May's numbers - but if it does, it'll bring the curve a bit higher.

Last edited:
Here is my thought on the May exam.

Chem/Phys: This section was manageable. It started with easy passages (as for time management, I break down the section into 3 parts where I try to finish 20 questions within 30 minutes so at the end I will be left with 5 minutes to review) and suddenly became difficult and then fell back to medium difficulty level. There was one very difficult passage with very difficult questions.

CARS: This section was most difficult to me. You have to well prepare for a transition from scientific mind to linguistic mind. Some passages were really hard. I did not have enough time to finish this section.

Bio: I found this section a little more difficult than the Chem/Phys. There were couple questions that I did not expect at all. I had to just guess on them and move on.

Psycho/Socio: This section was OK overall. The section required thorough analysis of passages (and guess what, they made it as the last section).

This is how I felt about the test.
If a question seems manageable to you, it's probably manageable to other people as well.
If a question seems very difficult, it's probably very difficult to other people as well.
Then how do you score between 12~15? Obviously you have to get the difficult questions correct, and those difficult questions are really difficult.

Hello May test takers! I heard there is more Biochem than Physics in the Chem/Phys section. Is this true? Because as of now I am not sure if I should be focusing my Physics studying on Physics subjects/passages ie work, energy, fluids, forces OR just study more Biochem.

yup definitely applying this year..I honestly feel ok with the exam, but you never know. I could have actually done a lot worse than I think. on the other hand, I have absolutely no motivation to endure those 8 hours ever again.

Yeah if your score is passable I would say just go ahead and apply. We all can't get into Harvard but the main goal is to become a doctor, and a lot of people do that without otherworldly MCAT scores.

Hello May test takers! I heard there is more Biochem than Physics in the Chem/Phys section. Is this true? Because as of now I am not sure if I should be focusing my Physics studying on Physics subjects/passages ie work, energy, fluids, forces OR just study more Biochem.
I just took it, and yes it's true that there is a substantial amount of biochem.

That being said, don't slack off on physics. I'd recommend that you focus on optics and fluids, since those are more biologically relevant. Biochem is in the Physical portion, but a lot of it comes from the passage and doesn't necessarily require you to draw on outside information.

Here is my thought on the May exam.

Chem/Phys: This section was manageable. It started with easy passages (as for time management, I break down the section into 3 parts where I try to finish 20 questions within 30 minutes so at the end I will be left with 5 minutes to review) and suddenly became difficult and then fell back to medium difficulty level. There was one very difficult passage with very difficult questions.

CARS: This section was most difficult to me. You have to well prepare for a transition from scientific mind to linguistic mind. Some passages were really hard. I did not have enough time to finish this section.

Bio: I found this section a little more difficult than the Chem/Phys. There were couple questions that I did not expect at all. I had to just guess on them and move on.

Psycho/Socio: This section was OK overall. The section required thorough analysis of passages (and guess what, they made it as the last section).

This is how I felt about the test.
If a question seems manageable to you, it's probably manageable to other people as well.
If a question seems very difficult, it's probably very difficult to other people as well.
Then how do you score between 12~15? Obviously you have to get the difficult questions correct, and those difficult questions are really difficult.
yea and that's why it's so hard to predict percentiles. The questions that seemed easy to me were easy for everyone else too lol

I would like to take the test in june 2015 then on Jan 2016, does anyone know if the test is offered in Jan or only starts from april to sep?

I did in fact also take the test yesterday, so I will give an outline of what I prepared with, what I wish I had done differently, etc...

1) Chem/phys was easy for me. CARS took me by the hand, broke my heart with soft lullabies, and twirled me into a furnace. Bio/biochem was easy as well, although there was definitely some passages that I just couldn't get myself to completely understand. Psych/soc was either GREAT or absolutely terrible... in other words, half of the test gave me a heart attack (almost vomited) and the other half gave me Superman-like confidence in my score. No issues here with lag/technicalities.

2) I was in a Kaplan course, used only the Kaplan books, took 6 Kaplan practice tests, the AAMC practice test, and a little of chem/phys and CARS passages from the AAMC packages. I felt great about most of the material, and even with some of the stuff I didn't understand or recognize I was able to eliminate 2 answer choices usually. The test is a game of elimination and recognition. You just need to be confident with your answer and move forward. That strategy has worked for me most of the time.

3) I scored 80%/79%/90%/90% on the AAMC sample test, but the actual test was much more difficult (especially CARS). I'm hoping to score above 80% percentile, but that could be completely jeopardized by my CARS performance. I didn't read a ton growing up, and I have always struggled with comprehension of random literature/articles.

4) If I could do it again and start from the beginning, I would have worked through ALL of the AAMC-provided materials. You NEED to go through all that they offer if you want to feel comfortable come test day. :)

Good luck y'all!
Congrats on being done with the MCAT!!! Do you think the Kaplan review books / practice tests were helpful and representative of the actual mcat exam? Were their review books good especially for Biochemistry? I am also currently enrolled in one of Kaplan 's class ?

Thank you! Feels good to be done. The Kaplan tests were definitely not representative, but they still help with being able to critically think about the science topics and practice with terms, equations, pathways, and concepts. Take them with a grain of salt. The review books definitely helped a lot, although the psych/soc book definitely was missing concepts and terms that showed up on the test. Not a lot was missing though. I felt prepared. Use Kaplan's + AAMC's material and you should be fine. Possibly fill in the gaps with Khan Academy's videos on psych/soc. The biochem review was helpful. It taught me all I needed to know about fatty acid synthesis/breakdown, amino acid metabolism stuff, etc. I had taken an advanced biochem class in the fall though, so my understanding of the material was already pretty solid. Kaplan didn't do a terrible job, they just didn't do a perfect job either.

Thank you! Feels good to be done. The Kaplan tests were definitely not representative, but they still help with being able to critically think about the science topics and practice with terms, equations, pathways, and concepts. Take them with a grain of salt. The review books definitely helped a lot, although the psych/soc book definitely was missing concepts and terms that showed up on the test. Not a lot was missing though. I felt prepared. Use Kaplan's + AAMC's material and you should be fine. Possibly fill in the gaps with Khan Academy's videos on psych/soc. The biochem review was helpful. It taught me all I needed to know about fatty acid synthesis/breakdown, amino acid metabolism stuff, etc. I had taken an advanced biochem class in the fall though, so my understanding of the material was already pretty solid. Kaplan didn't do a terrible job, they just didn't do a perfect job either.
How helpful was taking the Kaplan class?

How helpful was taking the Kaplan class?

Better than nothing, but the practice exams and questions feel very different from the actual test. It may get better as the AAMC releases more practice material and the test prep companies get opportunities to adjust. Remember all the test prep companies were basically guessing this cycle.

Took the test on 5/22 and I feel similar to what others reported.

Chem/Physics felt good for the most part; but like always, some odd questions I never would have learned no matter how much I continued to study.
CARS felt like a nightmare to me. I managed to finish on time, but I think this was my worst section, thanks to a couple of passages I didn't understand at all. English is my 2nd language, so CARS has always been difficult for me.
Bio/Biochem was fine for the most part. Some crazy questions I didn't expect. Some easy questions I should've known but didn't (frustrating!!). My nerves got the best of me on this part. My advice for future takers would be to limit the amount of time you spend reading the passages.
Psych/Soc was okay for the most part with some really mean questions.

Overall, I can't say how I did. I keep remembering questions I got wrong. Will be sure to update in 3 weeks.

Post MCAT Day 2: Still trying to regain my sense of normal. Also, trying to figure out which stage of grief I'm in.

Reactions: 15 users
Post MCAT Day 2: Still trying to regain my sense of normal. Also, trying to figure out which stage of grief I'm in.

Taking another 1-2 days off and then I'm diving headfirst into applications. If I can grind out 8hrs of studying a day for months working on these apps is gonna seem like a breeze

Taking another 1-2 days off and then I'm diving headfirst into applications. If I can grind out 8hrs of studying a day for months working on these apps is gonna seem like a breeze
Honestly when I got home Friday I immediately started working on it. I couldn't help myself

I started the app but am too lazy to read the guide for my questions. I also can't decide what experiences are most meaningful. After the holiday will get to it.

Honestly when I got home Friday I immediately started working on it. I couldn't help myself

I did the same, but all I had to do was upload my picture, enter final grades from this semester and then pay for and submit it. Now I am still trying to decide how I feel about the MCAT.