The Official May 22, 2015 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fenderboi930

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think many of you will agree that today is a great day to officially prepare for the May 22nd MCAT!!!

I was against the April 2015 MCAT because a typical 3 month schedule doesn't seem to work for
students and/or working test takers. With a little over 4 months of preparation we can go in with confidence!
It's all new and really scary--so let's kick MCAT butt together!!

I was also wondering, wouldn't many professional MCAT test takers and tutors want to take the MCAT 2015 as soon
as possible (April MCAT) so they can better they're material or teaching? Wouldn't that just destroy the curve?

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't taken psych/soc or biochem classes. I'm also weak on bio. Which test prep book is best for psych/soc and biochem/bio and is very useful in preparation for the aamc practice tests and question packs?

Reactions: 1 user
On my first mcat prep (old exam) I used TBR which had tons and tons of practice problems after each chapter. I'm using EK now and it just feels like the 30 min exams are nothing compared to the amount of content TBR had in terms of questions. To those using EK, where do you supplement with extra questions? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
On my first mcat prep (old exam) I used TBR which had tons and tons of practice problems after each chapter. I'm using EK now and it just feels like the 30 min exams are nothing compared to the amount of content TBR had in terms of questions. To those using EK, where do you supplement with extra questions? Thanks.

Some reason not to supplement with TBR again? If you have the same books, your answer is right there.

I've been doing content review for 7 weeks now. Starting to feel a bit burned out, but a good break day on Saturday will help. All that's left is going over bioenergetics again, a few of the organ systems, electricity/electrochemistry, light/optics, social structure, and identity. Fortunately I'm almost done and I've done all of these before besides the biochemistry material. The relearning phenomena is great.

Oh and of course memorizing the amino acids :zombie:

So I have 12 chapters of content review left and it's 3 days until the end of March...

The past two months were basically me trying to fill my mind with as much information as possible in a week. Tried doing both content review and passages but finding it hard to manage both.

I know people have gone through this over and over, but anyone have specific ways in which they're preparing for the physical sciences + biochem section? If anything that's my weakest spot in terms of actually doing the problems, and I think that other them content review, practice will be the way to go because I can't think of any other helpful thing to do but just practice. Any input would be helpful (formula memorization, types of review books) because I'm trying to be as specific with this part of prep as possible.

Some reason not to supplement with TBR again? If you have the same books, your answer is right there.

I've been doing content review for 7 weeks now. Starting to feel a bit burned out, but a good break day on Saturday will help. All that's left is going over bioenergetics again, a few of the organ systems, electricity/electrochemistry, light/optics, social structure, and identity. Fortunately I'm almost done and I've done all of these before besides the biochemistry material. The relearning phenomena is great.

I did all my tbr problems from the booklet though, so there is writing everywhere and I pretty much did every problem.

This might help, doing it a few times got it done for me.

http://www.sporcle.com/games/sproutcm/amino-acids-from-structures

Also I still have quite a bit to cover in content from Kaplan but I definitely feel like I'm retaining most of what I'm learning. How long before test day should content review stop and problems become the main focus?

Does anyone think any seats will open up for the May 22 exam? From my experience this usually happens closer to the exam date. There's 7 weeks left so I guess there's still hope left...

Literally just secured a testing spot for May 22 in NYC a minute ago. Wasn't in my home state (Michigan) but I'm not complaining in the slightest bit, I am truly lucky...this was the one spot in the U.S. that opened up right when I checked on my phone. I'm sitting in class right now, sitting a few meters from my professor. Anyone else taking it in Manhattan?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm starting FLs this friday and doing 1 a week until the last few weeks, then doing 2 a week.

No worries, learning the AAs is a pain in the ass.

Which FLs are you planning to take? I'm about to start since I work FT and want to get as much practice in as possible. I heard Kaplan's FL weren't very representative. Might have to try NS or GS.

Which FLs are you planning to take? I'm about to start since I work FT and want to get as much practice in as possible. I heard Kaplan's FL weren't very representative. Might have to try NS or GS.
I'm taking the Kaplan ones. I've heard they're a lot harder and focus on content recall vs taking a lot from passages, but this is what I need anyways. Also going to be mainly focusing on 1001 EK questions and weaknesses once I'm totally done with content review.

I just registered in Orlando, Florida y'all. Exactly where I wanted. Go check right now. They just opened up a bunch of seats in practically every state. So HAPPY, I was patient and didn't register for Canada or somewhere equally insane.

Good news: Changed registration from Toronto (4 hour drive, hotel) to a location in Michigan (30 minute drive)

Bad news: I'm feeling a bit bored with studying the last few days

Bad news 2.0: AAMC pretty blatantly added seats later to squeeze $70 more out of me and many other students

There's spots in nearly every state right now. Go quickly.

Reactions: 2 users
Literally just secured a testing spot for May 22 in NYC a minute ago. Wasn't in my home state (Michigan) but I'm not complaining in the slightest bit, I am truly lucky...this was the one spot in the U.S. that opened up right when I checked on my phone. I'm sitting in class right now, sitting a few meters from my professor. Anyone else taking it in Manhattan?

Taking it in Manhattan too @ Penn Plaza!

I just registered in Orlando, Florida y'all. Exactly where I wanted. Go check right now. They just opened up a bunch of seats in practically every state. So HAPPY, I was patient and didn't register for Canada or somewhere equally insane.
Thank u. Secured a spot in San Francisco. Don't need to fly anymore.

Does anyone think any seats will open up for the May 22 exam? From my experience this usually happens closer to the exam date. There's 7 weeks left so I guess there's still hope left...

A bunch of states opened up. Run don't walk!

I'm not sure if someone else already has asked about it but I figured out that May takers will get their score back on June 30.
Does it mean that we're one month late from the earliest possible submission date?
I'm pretty sure we can't submit our applications without MCAT scores.

I'm not sure if someone else already has asked about it but I figured out that May takers will get their score back on June 30.
Does it mean that we're one month late from the earliest possible submission date?
I'm pretty sure we can't submit our applications without MCAT scores.

If I remember correctly you can get verified without MCAT scores and LORs. I also heard that they don't actually send applications out until the end of June as the first batch, but I may be wrong.

The calendars that I have seen show that the schools will send the first batch to schools on July 1st this year, so we can add schools right after we get our scores and not be delayed.

Dear Premedofthesouth and Flashfan, thank you so much for the information.
Do you have a link to the application cycle calender?
If AMCAS send the first batch on July 1st, that means we have to make our first submission about 3 weeks before July 1st right? (because of time it takes for the verification)

You can get your application verified while waiting for MCAT scores

Problem being if you preformed poorly on the exam, it'll be sent to those schools

I've read numerous times that you can get verified more quickly via applying for one school then adding more after (which would also allow you to apply realistically according to your test score), but I'm not sure about this process

Basically I'm lost on the application process and will worry about it the day after this exam

Question - what are some biological uses of electrostatics and magnetism? My (old) material goes into Lenz's law, Faraday, emf, etc... and this all seems pretty inapplicable to medicine. Something about imaging techniques, perhaps?

You can get your application verified while waiting for MCAT scores

Problem being if you preformed poorly on the exam, it'll be sent to those schools

I've read numerous times that you can get verified more quickly via applying for one school then adding more after (which would also allow you to apply realistically according to your test score), but I'm not sure about this process

Basically I'm lost on the application process and will worry about it the day after this exam
The process of applying to just one school seems to work. Pick a school that you don't care about so if you have to retake your MCAT you won't be seen as a re-applicant to the schools that you care about. On June 30th you can add the other schools without delay.

Looking at the April test thread, it seems like Kaplan and TPR aren't good representatives of how the exam is going to be in terms of practice problems. Many students say they are too detailed oriented. Thoughts?

Looking at the April test thread, it seems like Kaplan and TPR aren't good representatives of how the exam is going to be in terms of practice problems. Many students say they are too detailed oriented. Thoughts?
I've taken the Kap Diag and Kap FL 2. So far, I don't like Kaplan that much because they are vague in terms of some of the questions.
Ex. Question: When X is reacting with Y, what is it called? - How are we supposed to know what "it" is? I took it as "it" refers to X, but I think some people could interpret it as Y which tripped me up.

Also, I've found 2 or so mistakes so far. One on the diag was blatantly obvious; I can't remember the 2nd one.
I think some of the answer choices on Kap seem obviously wrong, which I don't think is very representative of AAMC.

So far, my perspective on Kap is that it test more on content knowledge with critical thinking here and there. Thus, I am taking it as a content-oriented-review FL. If I don't know the answer or what the question is asking, it's mostly because I don't know the concept behind it. Granted, the passage helps, but it only does so much.

Diag: 489 (I didn't get much sleep; saw careless errors upon reviewing)
FL 2: 499 (granted I forgot to answer 2 questions, 1 of which I knew and got the answer; still reviewing)

Honestly this is what scares me, I don't think ANYONE knows how the test is going to be. Your best bet is to just be as prepared as you can. And with test prep companies I think it's much better for them to error on the side of too hard than make practice exams too easy compared to the real thing.

The process of applying to just one school seems to work. Pick a school that you don't care about so if you have to retake your MCAT you won't be seen as a re-applicant to the schools that you care about. On June 30th you can add the other schools without delay.

Thank you for the comment.
By the way, I just want to confirm that I have to submit everything (other than letter and MCAT) by early June so that my application can be verified by June 30th. Correct?

I just took the 6th Kaplan FL today and I can tell you that there are several mistakes per FL in terms of grammar or missing words, and usually 1-2 questions per FL that get something wrong. It seems like they did copying and pasting from passages and forgot to add in keywords. Its just obvious that they haven't properly prepared the materials... I tend to take less than 2 hours to review each test, and usually the CARS section I spend the least time on even if I get a 125 on it.

That said, I like how I can see the areas I need to review more. It's also decent practice for staying concentrated for about 7 hours.

Haven't done any AAMC materials yet (will this week). I think I will buy a few FLs from TPR and see if I can cram them in sometime, do passages separately, or just plain sub for Kaplan stuff.

I had thought the general consensus for the old exam was that Kaplan's materials were mediocre. I have the old books, even, but I never used them. If they couldn't get it quite right in 2 decades, I'm not sure how we could expect better in the new test scramble.

At least the length of suffering is just right

When are you guys taking the AAMC official guide questions, question packs, and sample test?
I'm thinking Guide questions 3 weeks before, question packs, 2 weeks before, and sample test 1 week before. Might push them back 1 extra week.
Working F/T is super..

When are you guys taking the AAMC official guide questions, question packs, and sample test?
I'm thinking Guide questions 3 weeks before, question packs, 2 weeks before, and sample test 1 week before. Might push them back 1 extra week.
Working F/T is super..

Im doing the same as you, but Im not doing the question pack

Working F/T is super..

Guide questions 4 weeks before, question pack 3 weeks before, official exam 2 weeks before. That's tentative for me.

So I have just a bit of content review left and I'm burned out on it. I don't mind doing passages (especially if they're not specific to a topic) though. Time to just start practicing very soon?

Reactions: 1 users
I did part of the question pack. I actually thought the questions were easier than Kaplan and PR. I am planning to take the sample test 1 week before.

@runanteldat @Ulgarmoose @Flashfan Yeah, I'm doing practice passages but still hitting 60%s in TBR.. Picking up on small details as I go along.
After taking 2 FLs from Kap though, I don't like their format and questions. Good for content review though.

Anyone else using EK 9th edition and think some of the physics questions are wayyyy too in depth? Specifically chapter 4 for electricity when they ask about capacitance in cell membranes.

Anyone else using EK 9th edition and think some of the physics questions are wayyyy too in depth? Specifically chapter 4 for electricity when they ask about capacitance in cell membranes.
Just finished the fluids in chapter questions and got 55%... this is a weakpoint of mine, but their questions can be difficult.

Isn't the point of the new MCAT to test concepts in a biological context, though? I don't think they're expecting you to already know capacitance of cell membranes, just to be able to apply it in that setting.

Isn't the point of the new MCAT to test concepts in a biological context, though? I don't think they're expecting you to already know capacitance of cell membranes, just to be able to apply it in that setting.

Yes but this question was really in depth and I had no idea how to even approach it. Even the explanation it a little confusing to me. Would it be against the rules to post the question here?

Almost done with content review (another week or so left). I can't shake this feeling i have already forgotten most of what i've already studied. The last month is going to be incredibly intense with all the practice i have lined up. Please brain, please do not give out on me ok please

Almost done with content review (another week or so left). I can't shake this feeling i have already forgotten most of what i've already studied. The last month is going to be incredibly intense with all the practice i have lined up. Please brain, please do not give out on me ok please

I'm in the same predicament, I'm good with everything except for physics. I'm sure a month of intense questions with review integration we'll be just fine.

^^Same situation as both of you

I'm extremely unmotivated in memorizing content, but I've been getting plenty of practice through tutoring biochemistry. Never even took a course, just read a lot.

Physics equations :dead:

Yes physics is my nemesis. It has been kicking my behind for as long as i can remember :(. Biochem is a close second though. And yessss those equations man :bang: