The Official May 31, 2014 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

k12123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Not sure if there's a thread on this but I couldn't find one. If there is, please let me know! Anyway, I took the TBR course from September(ish?)-December and was going to take the exam on January but wasn't ready enough go forward. Anyway I will be starting SN2's 3 month plan either today or tomorrow using the TBR books as well as EKs with TBR, TPR, and AAMC FLs. So who's with me??

Members don't see this ad.

Not sure if there's a thread on this but I couldn't find one. If there is, please let me know! Anyway, I took the TBR course from September(ish?)-December and was going to take the exam on January but wasn't ready enough go forward. Anyway I will be starting SN2's 3 month plan either today or tomorrow using the TBR books as well as EKs with TBR, TPR, and AAMC FLs. So who's with me??

I'm also a May 31st taker but we are all in this thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/may-2014-mcaters-united.1051175/

was originally planning on may 8 but couldn't find a spot so I guess I'm going with this date instead. Going through TBR books currently!

I was originally studying for the april 5th test but waited too long, now I'm taking it may 31st. I'm already a month and a half into studying so it looks like I'm going to end up reading all the workbooks from EK, TBR and Kaplan as well as doing lots of practice tests. Overkill I know, but oh well at least I'll be prepared.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I kind of like just one thread for one date. Maybe if I post here it'll repopulate itself...
Anyone writing on the 31st applying this year?

I'm most likely applying. As long as I get an MCAT >27 I'll apply. So far it's looking pretty good.

This beast is in 10 days. Anyone else surprisingly excited, yet scared to death all at the same time?

Are you READYYYY?

I'm taking it a bit easier these last 10 days. Just AAMC 10 + 11 and some review/passages to finish up.

That said, I'm excited that it's so close, but also pretty nervous leading up to it, which is normal I suppose. I kind of wish it were moved a few days ahead so I can just get it over with!

I was a lot more nervous like 2 weeks ago but now I'm becoming numb and im just thinking about the things I need to do these 10 days.

@winterwind_23 I will be taking AAMC 10 + 11 + doing a few passages + Going over official guide questions + spend the last 3 days just review my notes ..

I hope AAMC 10 and 11 go well so I can go in with some confidence..

Can't believe it's our turn now

Just did it. Bio felt way more difficult than previous AAMCs and my score was def lower -- in part because of a few tricky passages (which took up a lot of time; on one of the passages I missed more than half the questions), a few careless errors on discretes (esp the orgo!) and knowledge gaps I haven't found yet.... even though my MCAT is on Saturday!!!

I thought VR and PS were standard. Maybe PS was a bit trickier.

Just did it. Bio felt way more difficult than previous AAMCs and my score was def lower -- in part because of a few tricky passages (which took up a lot of time; on one of the passages I missed more than half the questions), a few careless errors on discretes (esp the orgo!) and knowledge gaps I haven't found yet.... even though my MCAT is on Saturday!!!

I thought VR and PS were standard. Maybe PS was a bit trickier.

would say it was harder than AAMC 10? I'm taking this one tomorrow .. I HATED aamc 10 and im hoping this one is a little better!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just finished AAMC 11, and I think the BS and PS were the hardest out of all the practice tests...I ran out of time on both the PS and BS, but cheated and gave myself some a few extra minutes. Not good, considering the real test is in less than 4 days.

I did much better on verbal on AAMC 11 (13), which balanced out my lower PS and BS scores (10 and 11, respectively). This has definitely lowered my confidence a bit! I got a balanced 36 on AAMC 10, but an unbalanced 34 on AAMC 11.

I'm not sure why, but the PS was much more difficult compared to other practice tests. Maybe it just targeted my weaknesses? I'm not sure why until I review the questions, but it just seemed more difficult. From my initial impression, I felt the questions were more in depth, or at the very least, asked in a more convoluted, probing way.

As for BS, there was definitely more data/experiment-based questions. There were also two really tough passages that threw me off. I felt that most of my time was spent reading and trying to understand the experiments and data in the passages.

What did everyone else think? Anyone have tips on how to improve on timing? I've always struggled with timing, which I attribute to spending too much time trying to understand the passages thoroughly.

Just finished AAMC 11, and I think the BS and PS were the hardest out of all the practice tests...I ran out of time on both the PS and BS, but cheated and gave myself some a few extra minutes. Not good, considering the real test is in less than 4 days.

I did much better on verbal on AAMC 11 (13), which balanced out my lower PS and BS scores (10 and 11, respectively). This has definitely lowered my confidence a bit! I got a balanced 36 on AAMC 10, but an unbalanced 34 on AAMC 11.

I'm not sure why, but the PS was much more difficult compared to other practice tests. Maybe it just targeted my weaknesses? I'm not sure why until I review the questions, but it just seemed more difficult. From my initial impression, I felt the questions were more in depth, or at the very least, asked in a more convoluted, probing way.

As for BS, there was definitely more data/experiment-based questions. There were also two really tough passages that threw me off. I felt that most of my time was spent reading and trying to understand the experiments and data in the passages.

What did everyone else think? Anyone have tips on how to improve on timing? I've always struggled with timing, which I attribute to spending too much time trying to understand the passages thoroughly.

I got 12/8/12 .... pretty much right on my avg?

I struggled with time too... though I only got a 12, looking at the questions now I think the PS was actually pretty easy... but lots of calculations so maybe thats why?

oh dear ... verbal sucked .. i barely got an 8 and i consider myself lucky!

@winterwind_23 any tips for Verbal? what is your strategy like? Any tips?

@TheAnonymous: I don't really have a defined strategy that a lot of other people having, like reading the questions in advance, or reading only the first sentence from each passage, etc. I just make sure to read each passage carefully before delving into the questions, and refer back to the passage when I need clarification. Taking the time to understand the passage the first time through helps me, but then again, it also makes the time really tight, so there's a balance to strike! Good luck!

Well, just got out. I have to say that the bio section was rather easy aside from one passage. Hoping for a loose curve to secure a 13+ there. Verbal was medium difficulty, physics started out pretty abusive...and stayed that way.

Reactions: 1 users
I think difficulty across all sections was about the same. Bio had 2 pretty bad passages and a few discretes that were rough. Hard test all around.

Definitely harder than any AAMC I have ever taken (took all of them). Also, physical was pretty awful, verbal was ehh, and bio was the best (besides one or two passages).

And so begins the 30 days of oozing. My goal is to beat 30, given that I took O Chem I/II 9-10 years ago along with the rest of my pre-med courses. I was glad to see a bio section that involved plenty of what I currently do. That physics section, however, ouch. Lots of places where a missed (-) could ruin that score.

And so begins the 30 days of oozing. My goal is to beat 30, given that I took O Chem I/II 9-10 years ago along with the rest of my pre-med courses. I was glad to see a bio section that involved plenty of what I currently do. That physics section, however, ouch. Lots of places where a missed (-) could ruin that score.
Just curious, are you an AA?

Missed (-)? Can't recall a single one. Care to elaborate?

Yep. Oh does that complicate things with potential interview questions...
That's great! I don't think it will complicate things. I'm sure you have a compelling reason to become a doctor and you're are far more experienced than most of us in the field of Medicine.

That's great! I don't think it will complicate things. I'm sure you have a compelling reason to become a doctor and you're are far more experienced than most of us in the field of Medicine.
I suppose. This was a stepping stone into a field that I had little reference to (no one in extended family currently works as nurse/physician). Let's just say I shouldn't have majored in engineering to game the numbers. This MCAT really has to supplement a pummeled GPA, all clinical experience aside.

Anyone else have comments regarding today's test? I'd really like to know what other people thought.

Not sure if I can yet without getting banned or slapped on the wrist. Can we discuss actual stuff here (yet)?

Nah no actual stuff. I thought that physics section was rough. Everything else manageable except some bio passages where I was like uhh.

Also I totally came back from one of my breaks late and had run out of time. Didn't do anything though haha

PS: tough, there were some easy questions but some of them needed abstract concepts and calculation
VR: similar to FL
BS: relatively easy. The questions werent hard. One passage kinda tripped me up though.

Sounds like the consensus so far is a abnormally difficult physical sciences section. I'm a little relieved. Hoping for a soft curve.

Not sure if I can yet without getting banned or slapped on the wrist. Can we discuss actual stuff here (yet)?

Is it like a temporary ban on discussing actual test material or permanent? I'm not asking for specific details and numbers but just enough info. to remember the question, like passage topic. Not that it makes a difference in my score... I just wanna ease my nerves a bit (or my anticipation)

Nah no actual stuff. I thought that physics section was rough. Everything else manageable except some bio passages where I was like uhh.

Also I totally came back from one of my breaks late and had run out of time. Didn't do anything though haha

haha I had walked in after 1 second left one time.

Is it like a temporary ban on discussing actual test material or permanent? I'm not asking for specific details and numbers but just enough info. to remember the question, like passage topic. Not that it makes a difference in my score... I just wanna ease my nerves a bit (or my anticipation)

Not sure but you shouldn't. Don't risk it. I wish I could discuss too but I dont want to be banned.

You can't at all. They will ban you and it's a violation of the rules the AAMC had us sign. It sucks because i would love to bit** and moan about this one PS passage and this other BS passage but it's best not to bc it can get you in trouble here and with the AAMC.

You can't at all. They will ban you and it's a violation of the rules the AAMC had us sign. It sucks because i would love to bit** and moan about this one PS passage and this other BS passage but it's best not to bc it can get you in trouble here and with the AAMC.

We know which passages you're talking about. :) I spent way too much time on the bio one and threw my timing/pacing off a bit.

We know which passages you're talking about. :) I spent way too much time on the bio one and threw my timing/pacing off a bit.

Yeah the first two bio ones were super easy, and I actually kinda struggled with the ochem one. My mind was getting so fuzzy by bio haha

Sounds like the consensus so far is a abnormally difficult physical sciences section. I'm a little relieved. Hoping for a soft curve.
Same thoughts here on PS. I still don't understand how they can predetermine the difficulty level and just make a scale. When they see the actual raw score data not fitting a bell curve by a wide margin, I would think they would have to curve it at that point. If they truly don't do some type of "doctoring" after the fact, then why are we not provided our raw scores?

Same thoughts here on PS. I still don't understand how they can predetermine the difficulty level and just make a scale. When they see the actual raw score data not fitting a bell curve by a wide margin, I would think they would have to curve it at that point. If they truly don't do some type of "doctoring" after the fact, then why are we not provided our raw scores?

and if they already have a curve set, then why does it take a month? Its computer graded and the curve is already set. I dont think it should take 4 weeks. Thats just a long of wait. I can't decide I should register for another one or not and if i do, I'm worried registering after a month will just push my application in the 'late' stage.

and if they already have a curve set, then why does it take a month? Its computer graded and the curve is already set. I dont think it should take 4 weeks. Thats just a long of wait. I can't decide I should register for another one or not and if i do, I'm worried registering after a month will just push my application in the 'late' stage.

Wait, so they already have determined the curve?! That doesn't make any sense. I thought they graded it based on percentiles.

Wait, so they already have determined the curve?! That doesn't make any sense. I thought they graded it based on percentiles.

I am not sure about it. Thats what I have heard. Makes no sense to me too. But if not the curve, I think they set a scale to curve based on the difficulty of the section? Is that the same thing as a curve lol?

Good point about the timing. I took NASD licensing exams for my previous career about 7 years ago at Prometric and I received the scores immediately. Unless a human is interfering after the fact, there's no valid reason to have to wait for a score.

Good point about the timing. I took NASD licensing exams for my previous career about 7 years ago at Prometric and I received the scores immediately. Unless a human is interfering after the fact, there's no valid reason to have to wait for a score.

Being a standardized test, the scores have to be adjusted. But still i feel it should take that long. They are just playing with our delicate pre-med hearts too much haha.

Being a standardized test, the scores have to be adjusted. But still i feel it should take that long. They are just playing with our delicate pre-med hearts too much haha.
They want your money. What do you think a bunch of premeds are going to do after the test? Overreact and pay for another exam. And if they get their scores back, and they are satisfied they may only get a partial refund based on what zone they are in.

They definitely do adjust it guys. Just look at the different grading scales for the various AAMC exams. They didn't come up with those on a whim.

Well another thing is your test will have experimental questions that do not count towards your performance on the test. I imagine they do that to gauge the vaildity of questions and whether they should use it in the future as a question that would count towards your score. I THINK that maybe there are new questions that they add to each exam and before "grading," they want to be sure examinees taking the exam on a later date perform comparably. So in that sense, June 5, 13, and 21 test dates may share questions from your exam that are "new questions." Because each section is only 52 questions (a percentage of which will not count towards your actual score), they would want be sure of point valuations of each question tested.

Well another thing is your test will have experimental questions that do not count towards your performance on the test. I imagine they do that to gauge the vaildity of questions and whether they should use it in the future as a question that would count towards your score. I THINK that maybe there are new questions that they add to each exam and before "grading," they want to be sure examinees taking the exam on a later date perform comparably. So in that sense, June 5, 13, and 21 test dates may share questions from your exam that are "new questions." Because each section is only 52 questions (a percentage of which will not count towards your actual score), they would want be sure of point valuations of each question tested.

do you know if there is a known certain number of those types of experimental questions or does it vary among different tests?