*The Official May 6th, 2016 MCAT Thread*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DannySCR

Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

Just wanted to see who's with me in fighting this beast on May 6th. This could be a great place to help each other out, be it through study tips, mnemonics, or simply relieving stress. Nice to meet you all!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
The way Kaplan differentiates them is based on what type of antigens they present. MCH I presents endogenous antigens, it binds antigens from inside the cell. MCH II present exogenous antigens, or antigens originating from outside the cell. They also point out that MCH I is present in all nucleated cells, and MCH II is in antigen-presenting cells, like macrophages.
But I keep seeing that MHC I presents "intracellular pathogens," meaning targeting viruses and bacteria. Wouldn't they be considered "exogenous?"

Yeah, I've always gotten 124s on CARS Sections. I've done 30 and I don't know if I'm hitting 50%.

I dont find it helpful to do it in large chunks. Instead I would do two passages at a time and then stop and analyze. Once you've done it through then give your self time to forget the passages and then do them in chunks if you prefer. I did mine in 2s and the difference was night and day.

Members don't see this ad :)
I dont find it helpful to do it in large chunks. Instead I would do two passages at a time and then stop and analyze. Once you've done it through then give your self time to forget the passages and then do them in chunks if you prefer. I did mine in 2s and the difference was night and day.
Yeah, I go by 2s but I time myself to do it a Test Day pace, still tanking this section

Reactions: 1 user
Im glad im not the only one who struggled with the qpacks. I finished both and got around 60% on 1st and 72% on 2nd. I finished 15/15 on my last 3 passages and I hope thats a sign of improvement and not just a fluke

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Pasages 5 and 6 I couldn't grasp whatsoever what I was reading. Zero idea what to answer in those 10 questions.

What's your strategy for cars? I used to just read and answer questions but I've been using Kaplans strategy of writing a summary after each paragraph and slowing down my reading. I went from a 125 on my first practice test to a 127 on my most recent, so small changes but honestly I'll take a 127 on the real thing

What's your strategy for cars? I used to just read and answer questions but I've been using Kaplans strategy of writing a summary after each paragraph and slowing down my reading. I went from a 125 on my first practice test to a 127 on my most recent, so small changes but honestly I'll take a 127 on the real thing
What's the thought there? Make sure you are taking ideas from each passage or do you use those summaries for reference?

I've just focused on active reading, highlighting sentences I feel like represent a strong statement/idea and making a stereotype of the author.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using SDN mobile

But I keep seeing that MHC I presents "intracellular pathogens," meaning targeting viruses and bacteria. Wouldn't they be considered "exogenous?"
It wouldn't be exogenous because MCH I (which are present in all nucleated cells) would display and endogenous antigen on the surface in order to let the immune system know that the cell being targeted by an intracellular pathogen. So if the virus or pathogen is intracellular, MCH I would be the one presenting the antigen to CD8+ cells so they can take care of business.

MCH II are present in antigen-presenting cells, like macrophages. So if a macrophage were to come along and engulf a pathogen from the environment, it will process it and will display MCH II, recruiting CD4+ cells. Does this help?

I started doing that, but just could never finish a passage, tried reading questions then answering, now I just read highlight and answer. Congrats on the jump. I'll take anything over 125 on the 6th

Pet peeve on CARS: I hate it when they ask you about a particular "word" in the passage but don't indicate where the word is in the passage.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What's the thought there? Make sure you are taking ideas from each passage or do you use those summaries for reference?

I've just focused on active reading, highlighting sentences I feel like represent a strong statement/idea and making a stereotype of the author.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using SDN mobile

For me it just helps me remember where certain things are in the passage. I don't really refer back to my notes much, and I'm usually able to answer the questions without having to refer to the passage much. I guess this makes up the time that it takes to write everything down.

For me it just helps me remember where certain things are in the passage. I don't really refer back to my notes much, and I'm usually able to answer the questions without having to refer to the passage much. I guess this makes up the time that it takes to write everything down.

Ive been doing the same strategy lately, Ive been taking about 4:30 to get through passage and make notes but i notice that i hardly have to refer back to the passage anymore unless they get real specific

It wouldn't be exogenous because MCH I (which are present in all nucleated cells) would display and endogenous antigen on the surface in order to let the immune system know that the cell being targeted by an intracellular pathogen. So if the virus or pathogen is intracellular, MCH I would be the one presenting the antigen to CD8+ cells so they can take care of business.

MCH II are present in antigen-presenting cells, like macrophages. So if a macrophage were to come along and engulf a pathogen from the environment, it will process it and will display MCH II, recruiting CD4+ cells. Does this help?
Yeah I think so... I guess it depends more on the nature of the pathogen since a bacteria can be intracellular or extracellular in nature so there is no clear way of dividing one to presenting bacterial antigens vs. the other presenting viral antigens.

Yeah I think so... I guess it depends more on the nature of the pathogen since a bacteria can be intracellular or extracellular in nature so there is no clear way of dividing one to presenting bacterial antigens vs. the other presenting viral antigens.
Yeah I don't think viral vs. bacterial matters. Just if its extra or intracellular.

Yeah I don't think viral vs. bacterial matters. Just if its extra or intracellular.

Well viruses can only replicate intracellulary. They have to present to MHC class I. The important thing is that MHC class II are on "professional" antigen presenting cells (macrophages, dendritic cells...) which engulf bacteria/virus/parasites and present these on MHC class II. Main difference: professional antigen presenting cells vs. all other cells

Well viruses can only replicate intracellulary. They have to present to MHC class I. The important thing is that MHC class II are on "professional" antigen presenting cells (macrophages, dendritic cells...) which engulf bacteria/virus/parasites and present these on MHC class II. Main difference: professional antigen presenting cells vs. all other cells
Well yeah. I was referring to the antigen here. If it binds antigen intracellularly, its endogenous and MCH I. If the antigen originated outside the cell (extracellular), exogenous and MCH II.

AAMC CARS 1, dang. Through the first 6 passages I don't think I'm hitting 50%. Am I the only one? !

Conformity eases anxiety

I don't know if the CARS Q-pack eases out after the first passages or I'm just getting better in my 3 hour training.

The first cars passage I ever tried was from cars 1, I think it was the picasso one. Totally rethought about whether I was cut out for the mcat

508 (127/127/127/127) on NS FL4 :rage: So fkking gross. Going to blame it on the test being crappy and not representative. Yeah, that's it, it's the test's fault...

508 (127/127/127/127) on NS FL4 :rage: So fkking gross. Going to blame it on the test being crappy and not representative. Yeah, that's it, it's the test's fault...

They really spread the materials out over the 10 exams. I'm seeing very little metabolism in #6-10. Each test might play differently into your strengths/weaknesses.

I don't think NS psych is that representative, could be a bit more graph heavy. I think it's a bit too easy on the scoring.

Hmm sounds like some external locus of control here... haha. Seeing as you've killed the other tests I'd say this is probably a fluke so don't worry about it too much.

They really spread the materials out over the 10 exams. I'm seeing very little metabolism in #6-10. Each test might play differently into your strengths/weaknesses.

I don't think NS psych is that representative, could be a bit more graph heavy. I think it's a bit too easy on the scoring.

There were sooooooooo many unfamiliar terms on the psych in this one. It's so frustrating because those should be free points. I wish they would just publish a list and say "memorize these 1000 terms". I would make 1000 flashcards, and that would be that. But instead it's a mystery, and I just learn new things as I go through practice material.

Hmm sounds like some external locus of control here... haha. Seeing as you've killed the other tests I'd say this is probably a fluke so don't worry about it too much.

Don't want to let this hurt my confidence with 1 week left to go... AAMC Unscored went well, I'll take the AAMC scored on Monday and see how that goes. If I screw that one up, I'll start worrying.

There were sooooooooo many unfamiliar terms on the psych in this one. It's so frustrating because those should be free points. I wish they would just publish a list and say "memorize these 1000 terms". I would make 1000 flashcards, and that would be that. But instead it's a mystery, and I just learn new things as I go through practice material.

Don't want to let this hurt my confidence with 1 week left to go... AAMC Unscored went well, I'll take the AAMC scored on Monday and see how that goes. If I screw that one up, I'll start worrying.

I'm kinda scared to take NS 4 now haha. but yeah I'm sure you'll killed the scored FL

that makes two of us. Hopefully we get out of it feeling more confident than worried. Goodluck :)

Three's a company. I did better than I expected on the unscored but just hoping not to get railed tomorrow considering most say it's harder...

Three's a company. I did better than I expected on the unscored but just hoping not to get railed tomorrow considering most say it's harder...
Not aiming for a 520, just seeing an improvement from my past scores would help 507 would make me happy

Haha lol theres a psych term you call this but I can't remember (slacking)

Can anyone explain the difference btwn. linguistic determinism and linguistic relativity (aka Sapir-Whorf)? Both of them deal with language determining thought right? But how are they different then?

Thanks for sharing :) Did you like NS / EK equally, quality wise?

I had a grand old time taking NS 1-3. I was pretty pissed off the whole time I was taking NS4... Looking at other people's scores on the spreadsheet, it seems like nobody else had trouble with this one in particular, so I dunno. EK seems pretty comparable to NS, but is maybe a bit more heavy on calculations which I think is not representative. But EK definitely correlates well with AAMC scores which is what's really important.

Exactly one week will be probably waiting in some room to take the exam. My stomach feels weird thinking about it.

I had a grand old time taking NS 1-3. I was pretty pissed off the whole time I was taking NS4... Looking at other people's scores on the spreadsheet, it seems like nobody else had trouble with this one in particular, so I dunno. EK seems pretty comparable to NS, but is maybe a bit more heavy on calculations which I think is not representative. But EK definitely correlates well with AAMC scores which is what's really important.
just started NS 4 and wow...I stopped after verbal

Last edited:
lol I planned on saving NS4 for Monday as my last FL before the real thing. I hope it doesn't completely crumble the confidence I had left, the way you all are talking about it.

How many FL is everyone trying to schedule in before exam date? I wanted to do 1 more EK and definitely the scored test (waited a little late I know, oops) - is that too ambitious?

How many FL is everyone trying to schedule in before exam date? I wanted to do 1 more EK and definitely the scored test (waited a little late I know, oops) - is that too ambitious?

I want to fit 2, but realistically I think I'll do 1.5 or 1.75. I'll skip CARS on one of them because CARS ain't going to improve in a few days so I've hit my potential. If your stamina isn't there, fitting 2 sans aggressive reviewing would still be beneficial.

I want to fit 2, but realistically I think I'll do 1.5 or 1.75. I'll skip CARS on one of them because CARS ain't going to improve in a few days so I've hit my potential. If your stamina isn't there, fitting 2 sans aggressive reviewing would still be beneficial.
Every time I'm always like if I only had 2 more days... But don't think it'll make too much of a difference at this point. Think I'm gonna shoot for 2 but realistically probably going to end up doing 1.5 as well.

Scored AAMC:
upload_2016-4-29_16-9-2.png

The content covered on this was so bizarre to me just because it felt so incredibly limited in scope. I don't want to spoil it for those out there who have not taken it yet, but it was just weird. Never scored above a 125 on B/B for me, and I got a ~129 to 130 on the unscored for CARS so I am bummed about that. The CARS I found particularly difficult as I had to finish two passages under 8 mins. I had about 10 minutes left over with P/S and wtf there were so many random questions that TPR nor my content review had even remotely covered. I get that I cannot cover it all but damn. Unscored had around a 507 and none of my 5 TPR FLs were always around 498 or 499.

Gotta keep at it I suppose. One whole week is a lotta time, like 25 more hours worth of prep at least!!!