*The Official May 6th, 2016 MCAT Thread*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DannySCR

Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

Just wanted to see who's with me in fighting this beast on May 6th. This could be a great place to help each other out, be it through study tips, mnemonics, or simply relieving stress. Nice to meet you all!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm doing a Kaplan Live Online class and I feel so behind! I was hoping they were going to be doing content review but so far these past 2 weeks have been mainly test taking strategies.....I'm starting to get a little nervous, especially since I've been out of school for almost 5 years now

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm doing a Kaplan Live Online class, was hoping they were going to be doing content review but so far these past 2 weeks have been mainly test taking strategies

very little content review for the new MCAT; old one, that's all they did with a little test taking strategy thrown in

I hate the way they do things now. Make sure you watch the live online sessions. Anything with Tami, Eli, John, Nzinga is WELL worth it and the off-screen people will help answer any content questions you have.

very little content review for the new MCAT; old one, that's all they did with a little test taking strategy thrown in

I hate the way they do things now. Make sure you watch the live online sessions. Anything with Tami, Eli, John, Nzinga is WELL worth it and the off-screen people will help answer any content questions you have.
Thanks for the heads up, I am definitely going to need a new study plan since content review was the main reason I signed up for Kaplan o_O

Thanks for the heads up, I am definitely going to need a new study plan since content review was the main reason I signed up for Kaplan o_O
I thought the same thing when I repeated my class and realized how much they changed it. The videos that go along with the book chapters are nice though. They didn't have that when I took the old test.

I'm doing a Kaplan Live Online class and I feel so behind! I was hoping they were going to be doing content review but so far these past 2 weeks have been mainly test taking strategies.....I'm starting to get a little nervous, especially since I've been out of school for almost 5 years now

I'm having trouble with the course, too. Very little content review, lots and lots to read, and not crazy about any of the strategies. Writing little summaries just feels like a waste of time. Preferring the Next Step strategies a lot more, actually.

I thought about it but nope! I will be doing EK 30 minutes exams and TBR bio passages. Bio is my weakness. EK 30min exams are really good!

I see I'm probably going to ignore them then since they all have stand alone questions I'll just focus on TBR and other practice materials thanks

I think I'm going to try McatJelly's plan since I have the Kaplan books and the BR books as well. Content review is what I am really needing to do. And I've read some great stuff about the 30 minute exams from EK

I am in an Online Princeton Review Course and I agree--lots of content review, but it is spaced out over 10 weeks so I won't really be done with it until april 2nd. I think content review based upon mcat practice FL performance may be one ideal approach to take...

Members don't see this ad :)
I am still undecided whether to take in april or may or maybe even june but not happy about the last one, so maybe taking this date... Just needed to see if anyone else gets annoyed with some of the Khan videos. I'm like, "stop repeating yourself! I get it, you are drawing!" And other whoes. I just ran into WikiPremed that doesn't seem too bad and PremedHQ is a nice overview, imo. I have nearly every possible paid mode of review, and almost done. Section 3B is a beast though. Heading into a practice test one next week. Arg! Super scared. I work full time and sometimes its demanding (like I get home and I'm exhausted) so I've been trying to study about 30 hours a week on top of working which yesterday I realized I just had to stop studying and have a beer. Lol. I'm sure by SO was happy about that. How is everyone else doing?
Also, its obvious but I'm a non-trad Old PreMed, so I'm really going to relate to ya'll.
Ahhhh, thanks SDN for letting me vent, now back to studying before my V-tines date ;)

I am still undecided whether to take in april or may or maybe even june but not happy about the last one, so maybe taking this date... Just needed to see if anyone else gets annoyed with some of the Khan videos. I'm like, "stop repeating yourself! I get it, you are drawing!" And other whoes. I just ran into WikiPremed that doesn't seem too bad and PremedHQ heis a nice overview, imo. I have nearly every possible paid mode of review, and almost done. Section 3B is a beast though. Heading into a practice test one next week. Arg! Super scared. I work full time and sometimes its demanding (like I get home and I'm exhausted) so I've been trying to study about 30 hours a week on top of working which yesterday I realized I just had to stop studying and have a beer. Lol. I'm sure by SO was happy about that. How is everyone else doing?
Also, its obvious but I'm a non-trad Old PreMed, so I'm really going to relate to ya'll.
Ahhhh, thanks SDN for letting me vent, now back to studying before my V-tines date ;)
Did you know you can watch the Khan videos in fast play? You just go to the little lever at the bottom. Someone else on here told me that and I will love them forever for that!

Did you know you can watch the Khan videos in fast play?
Yes!
Noone needed to tell me. I figured it out months ago all on my own. :)

What is a good resource for practice exams after AAMC? Kapl (from text), Princ Re (from text), Next Stop, Berk Revi? Any suggestions are much appreciated.

hello there, another may 6th taker.
How are you guys doing with content review? I am using Kaplan and i am so exhausted by their 12 chapters in every single book. I used EK last august but did not score well ( due to lack of practice in my opinion), the chapters were longer but overall it was a lot less than Kaplan. You guys have any preference for either of those?

How are you guys doing with content review? I am using Kaplan and i am so exhausted by their 12 chapters in every single book. I used EK last august but did not score well ( due to lack of practice in my opinion), the chapters were longer but overall it was a lot less than Kaplan. You guys have any preference for either of those?

I am using Kaplan as well ( for bio, bioc and orgo) I agree with you the chapters are pretty lengthy but I think they cover pretty much everything they only thing I dislike is the fact that they fail to explain some key concepts which I end up finding in other books like TBR

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I'm using TPR, which I'm pretty happy about. I am almost, so close, to being done with bio review (just have to finish digestive system, musculoskeletal system, and reproductive system), which has taken absolutely FOREVER because I'm making flashcards for everything. I use the Pomodoro system to help myself stay focused when studying, and it literally takes 25 minutes for me to read 2 pages and make flashcards for them. However, I think that chemistry, physics, and organic chemistry will be much quicker because it's more practice and less memorization/flashcards.

Right now, I'm planning on finishing content review by the end of March, which gives me about a month to focus on question packs and full lengths. I've taken 4 FL exams so far and I'm starting to get closer to the score I want.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm using TPR, which I'm pretty happy about. I am almost, so close, to being done with bio review (just have to finish digestive system, musculoskeletal system, and reproductive system), which has taken absolutely FOREVER because I'm making flashcards for everything. I use the Pomodoro system to help myself stay focused when studying, and it literally takes 25 minutes for me to read 2 pages and make flashcards for them. However, I think that chemistry, physics, and organic chemistry will be much quicker because it's more practice and less memorization/flashcards.

Right now, I'm planning on finishing content review by the end of March, which gives me about a month to focus on question packs and full lengths. I've taken 4 FL exams so far and I'm starting to get closer to the score I want.
I have not taken any FL so far, do you think I should start taking one per week? I finished physics, gen chem, ochem review, and half bio. Any advice?

I have not taken any FL so far, do you think I should start taking one per week? I finished physics, gen chem, ochem review, and half bio. Any advice?

That's a good question because we're still so far out from the exam! (I've taken so many FLs partially because I was originally planning for the January 22 exam before realizing that I didn't feel prepared over the holidays). I think that it would be helpful to take at least one before the end of your content review just to see how it is. The main thing that struck me when I took my first FL was how LONG the exam is. My brain hurt after BB and CARS, and there were still two sections left! It'll also help you get a feel of how well your content review is going and if you're retaining everything. You definitely seem to be well on your way! :)

That's a good question because we're still so far out from the exam! (I've taken so many FLs partially because I was originally planning for the January 22 exam before realizing that I didn't feel prepared over the holidays). I think that it would be helpful to take at least one before the end of your content review just to see how it is. The main thing that struck me when I took my first FL was how LONG the exam is. My brain hurt after BB and CARS, and there were still two sections left! It'll also help you get a feel of how well your content review is going and if you're retaining everything. You definitely seem to be well on your way! :)

Which FL's you using?

I'm finding the physics content review the hardest--anybody feel the same? What have you been doing to study for physics? I don't think flashcards are helpful. I'm trying to do problems and understand concepts, but it is such a struggle...

I'm finding the physics content review the hardest--anybody feel the same? What have you been doing to study for physics? I don't think flashcards are helpful. I'm trying to do problems and understand concepts, but it is such a struggle...
I also struggle with physics, especially with Physics II material because I haven't taken the class yet. I've found the Khan Academy videos helpful. Flash cards are only good for remembering formulas, I guess...

I hate physics alot but I'd suggest you Use the Berkeley review the chapters are a bit lengthy but they explain the concept well imo

I have my physics book from college, and a friend sent me the solution manual as a PDF which works the problems through step by step (thank God!). I've been working problems out of that and really trying to understand how to do them correctly if I answered them wrong :)

The thing with physics and math (and chemistry, to a somewhat lesser extent) is that there are groups of similar problems that have the same "recipe" for solving them. As long as you can identify what kind of question the problem is asking and you remember how to solve that kind of problem, you'll be all set! Unfortunately, this "intuition" usually happens through a lot of practice problems.... When I was taking AP Physics, I remember that Khan Academy was pretty good with trying to instill a physical intuition of why things happen.

Does anyone else work full time? If you do, how are you managing your schedule?

I'm not quite working full time, but I do have an absolutely full schedule! My schedule happens to allow me 2-3 hours of studying every morning, so I set aside that dedicated time to do content review (now) and passages (after content review). I also review my Anki flash cards every night (it takes about an hour). It's really much more of a dedicated marathon than a sprint when you can't study for 8 hours a day!

I just finished my first full length tpr1 and il tell you what. This is all a game of endurance. Which I clearly have not built up. TPR verbal was brutal and I ended up guessing 3 passages. By the time I got to psych, my brain was done. I need to improve my mental endurance.

Reactions: 2 users
Are you both still looking for a 3rd? I'd love to be part of a study group!

Hope I'm not too late but if you'd welcome a 4th, I'll shoot original commenter a PM too.

I'm not using a concrete schedule at the moment, so I don't even know if I'm pacing myself efficiently. I just do a handful of hours until my brain hurts. I still have a couple chapters from each subject (phys, chem, bio/org, psychsoc) to get through as far as content review goes, and I'm hoping I can do that before March.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm in a verbal rut. I've been through over 200 passages (timed) now -- timing isn't an issue any more but I consistently get approximately 2 questions (sometimes 1 or 3) wrong per passage. TPRH was great and I improved with that, but after going through the entire NS 108 passages book, I don't feel like I can consistently get a passage 100% correct. Any suggestions?

I'm planning on switching over to AAMC material as the test date gets a bit closer (don't want to burn through the CARS packs right now).

I'm in a verbal rut. I've been through over 200 passages (timed) now -- timing isn't an issue any more but I consistently get approximately 2 questions (sometimes 1 or 3) wrong per passage. TPRH was great and I improved with that, but after going through the entire NS 108 passages book, I don't feel like I can consistently get a passage 100% correct. Any suggestions?

I'm planning on switching over to AAMC material as the test date gets a bit closer (don't want to burn through the CARS packs right now).

Do you think the NS is good for practice? I currently have TPRH and I get 3 wrong every time besides yesterday when I got a zero lol idk why but verbal is overall my weakness.According to What jack the verbal tutor told me and also the writer of the 30 days cars solution guide, they said the AAMC is the best because TBHR( dense passages they said) questions do not represent what is seen on the real exam. Once I'm done with TBHR I plan on switching to AAMC as well

I agree with @SikhWitIT . The MCAT is much a test of intelligence/preparedness as it is of endurance. I actually did not think it was that bad but i took it at 8am on a friday and finished at like 330 or 4. when you think about it like that by lunchtime you are already half way through which may be obvious but i think the endurance part can certainly be gained given the proper prep (i.e. waking up twice or three times a week at 630am etc).

also i get the impression that the one section that is tough to struggle with , as in to overcome, is CARS? in bio or chem you can at least content review the hell out of both to get some meaningful prep in. just my 2 cents

Has anyone taken the NS practice tests? I took the unscored AAMC sample exam and got a 74% overall. I've taken four NS exams; my scores have ranged from 504-507. All my section scores have either remained stable or have gone up, except for verbal - I fluctuate 3-4 points per test, getting any where from 123-127. I have the NS verbal practice book. It's TOUGH. Anyone else have a similar experience with NS verbal? It seems like their passages are longer than what I saw on the practice AAMC test. With regards to verbal in general, has anyone found a strategy that has actually worked? I've tried all the strategies possible and nothing seems to help my score. It seems as if my performance on the verbal section is really just a shot in the dark depending on the passages I get.

Also, I am getting on this late, but what does everyone's schedule/study plan look like?

Good luck!

@Arsenalfcfan1
@scardinals8

NS was a tough book for verbal; lots of nit-picky questions and some answers that were very questionable in their explanations. It's still great practice for timing and just habitual strategy improvement and CARS reading skills. I still need to take the AAMC CARS questions to accurately compare NS.

So, anyone have advice on eliminating reading mistakes? Also, does anyone actually write the main idea down? That seems like it would eat up a lot of time.

So how is everyone's studying going?

I'm just ready to start taking FL's tbh. I should be finishing psych/soc kaplan book this week. After that, one week of a quick orgo/physics review + doing a few questions in the bio/chem/physics/cars qpacks everyday, THEN i'll be doing my first fl. As of now im just reading 2 chapters per day and then doing one ek 101 verbal passage per day so i'm ready for a change lol

I'm just ready to start taking FL's tbh. I should be finishing psych/soc kaplan book this week. After that, one week of a quick orgo/physics review + doing a few questions in the bio/chem/physics/cars qpacks everyday, THEN i'll be doing my first fl. As of now im just reading 2 chapters per day and then doing one ek 101 verbal passage per day so i'm ready for a change lol

I am two weeks away from my content review and then it's review practice review and more practice

Hey everyone! Another May 6th MCAT taker here. I'm looking for a study buddy (or 2) just to help keep each other on track and to push each other through this journey.

I'm a bit late to the party and just started serious content review this week. :bag: I'm using a modified/personalize version of @Next Step Tutor 's "Breaking Down the MCAT" study schedule.

Please PM me if you're interested. I'm desperate!!! :cat:

Are you both still looking for a 3rd? I'd love to be part of a study group!

I will be glad to join u

ive got about three weeks of content review then i will start doing FL and aamc exam packs. It's been tough to do 2 chapters a day and cover the corresponding tbr passages so i will also be doing tbr exams toward the end. I'm just ready to go into practice, reviewing is killing me

Reactions: 3 users
ive got about three weeks of content review then i will start doing FL and aamc exam packs. It's been tough to do 2 chapters a day and cover the corresponding tbr passages so i will also be doing tbr exams toward the end. I'm just ready to go into practice, reviewing is killing me

I know what you mean I had to change that approach and save all my TBR passages until I'm done with my books

I second the thought of content review being a killer! Although I always like passages more than content review. :p

is it possible to finish biochem review in one week? and psych in another week?
Sure is. But it's not about finishing in a certain time frame - you must understand and be able to apply it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

is it possible to finish biochem review in one week? and psych in another week?
you could, if you read like 2 chapters a day for 6 days straight. But then you'll have to add in practice passages time to make sure you truly understand the material. That can cause a quick burn out.
I tried that and ended up not studying at all.
Making small goals for a particular day tricks your mind into thinking you dont have much to do but slowly you will be done.

you could, if you read like 2 chapters a day for 6 days straight. But then you'll have to add in practice passages time to make sure you truly understand the material. That can cause a quick burn out.
I tried that and ended up not studying at all.
Making small goals for a particular day tricks your mind into thinking you dont have much to do but slowly you will be done.
You sound like me. What did you end up doing for a study schedule? I'm almost done with bio, biochem and psych and plan on reviewing physical science stuff while I start doing a practice test every week. I'm dying though. It's torture to get started every day I'm so burned out already.

You sound like me. What did you end up doing for a study schedule? I'm almost done with bio, biochem and psych and plan on reviewing physical science stuff while I start doing a practice test every week. I'm dying though. It's torture to get started every day I'm so burned out already.
i used mcat's jelly schedule with kaplan books and tbr books ( physics, chemistry, biochemistry and biology). verbal/physics/psych are my weakest subjects though. I might start cutting off chemistry to finish the others faster,