The Official May 8, 2014 MCAT thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

southpawcannon

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yep, that just happened. And no, I'm not studying tonight. Are you cray cray? Just watching college football and opening my box from Berkeley Review that finally arrived. Prep commences tomorrow!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello Everyone, I am taking the MCAT at the end of May-begging of June, wish everyone lots of luck. I have been out of college for quite 2 years and a half, what do you recommend to be a good study plan cause I feel very rusty. Thanks

Doing TBR Bio today after struggling with physics and ochem the past couple of days. For those who are old enough to remember, that's like going from fighting Mike Tyson to Glass Joe. I eventually learned how to beat Mike Tyson with lots of strategy and patience, which is what it will take to "beat" physics and ochem on the mcat

Members don't see this ad :)
Doing TBR Bio today after struggling with physics and ochem the past couple of days. For those who are old enough to remember, that's like going from fighting Mike Tyson to Glass Joe. I eventually learned how to beat Mike Tyson with lots of strategy and patience, which is what it will take to "beat" physics and ochem on the mcat

Let us know how TBR Bio is like... I will be using TPR Bio - do you have a strong science background?

I will officially join you guys on January 10th and keep you informed about my progress... Best of luck you all !

I have a stronger background and understanding of biology than I do with other areas. Content in the first section of TBR Nervous System has been a thorough yet not overwhelming review. I like it thus far but will take a peek at the corresponding EK section to make see if they've provided any tips or suggestions.

Last edited:
May potentially be joining this thread shortly. If I do not hear good news from the last of my interviews, I am preparing to retake this MCAT beasto_O.

Good luck in the meantime then, everyone!

Im using TBR (Berkeley Review) for content bio, chem, phy and orgo and Examcrackers 1001 (not bio one is not so good) and 101 for passages and the TPRH (Princeton Revie Hyperleaning) sciences workbook.

slightly freaking out because i haven't touched this material in over 4 years :eek:. i just finished content and problems for TBR GChem book 1, and going to do 1/3 of passages today and tomorrow. wish me luck

Members don't see this ad :)
Probably a bit behind all of you. The MCAT is not critical to me - my ideal future is to get into a local GEMP course in South Africa (there is only one) but I decided to take the MCAT just in case it opens up some additional opportunities (Even some of the European schools look at MCAT results and I have EU citizenship). As a non trad itional student all avenuesare explored! Studying overseas would be financially far more difficult for me but taking the MCAT can't do me any harm and I have recent exposure to all the requires science courses.

I read these forums from time to time. Although as a prospective international non traditional medical student a lot is different - many of the challenges are the same! Subbed to the thread and good luck to all. As I said I am probably a bit behind you all but tonight I plan on taking the VR section of the AAMC practice test 3. First exposure to any MCAT practice tests although I have been going through some passages in a Princeton VR book. Within the next week or so I'll know if I have bitten off more than I can chew! :) Now that I have decided to take it though its full steam ahead!

:arghh: its really frustrating working and studying at the same time ! :cryi::cryi::cryi: ... ok im done venting back to studying.

I was planning on using SDN's 4 month prep but now it looks like I'm going to have to use the 3 month prep as I work full time and studying at night after work sucks!

Has anyone ever used Mcat4me.com or MCAT-REVIEW.org? I just stumbled upon those two websites yesterday but wasn't sure if their notes and videos were helpful to the MCAT. I'm using BR and EK to study now.

I need to find a study buddy to motivate me!

Will I lose the competitive edge of applying early if I choose this exam date?

Will I lose the competitive edge of applying early if I choose this exam date?
No, this is an early exam date so you'll be fine. Late is if you take MCAT in July or later.

Also, for those of you who are doing the SN2ed's plan, how long is each day taking you? I know reading times will vary but from start to finish, how long is everything taking you?

No, this is an early exam date so you'll be fine. Late is if you take MCAT in July or later.

Also, for those of you who are doing the SN2ed's plan, how long is each day taking you? I know reading times will vary but from start to finish, how long is everything taking you?

I agree with StarFall, May 8 is a good date for taking the mcat.Anything beyond July (meaning u won't get your scores back until August) is considered late:)

SN2 plan is taking really long time for me as I read slow.I am changing the plan a little to my comfort, hopefully it will still work :confused:

anyone else has any other commitments than MCAT as well? I feel like having a few courses will hinder my studying

by the way people! please keep everyone posted on your progress, makes the rest of us motivated to keep up! :)

oh... and I took AAMC#3 to see where I stand, and I got 8PS/4VR/7BS :(((
I would advise against taking FL's as diagnostics. You should use the FL's towards the end of MCAT studying to gauge where you stand. Instead, I suggest signing up for the Kaplan free MCAT online tests. They're a bit harder from what I hear, but they're free so you "pay" what you get.

Hello All,

I know every exam date has its own official thread but I started another thread so for ALL May MCATers.

We all know how the January MCAT thread has been active and motivating, let's recreate one for May MCATers.

Here is the link: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/may-2014-mcaters-united.1051175/

I thought if we all unite in one thread, it's going to be more active and helpful,

We can all share our progress and etc....

Started studying around the 10th. I think I am going to change my approach. I was reading content and then answering questions. Instead I will answer questions and read content when I need to. Many of the strategies from high scores seem to work this way. A common thing past test takers seem to say is that they wish they spent less time on content and more time with practice tests.

Currently using Berkeley review from 2012.

Started studying around the 10th. I think I am going to change my approach. I was reading content and then answering questions. Instead I will answer questions and read content when I need to. Many of the strategies from high scores seem to work this way. A common thing past test takers seem to say is that they wish they spent less time on content and more time with practice tests.

Currently using Berkeley review from 2012.
Agreed. I've modified the plan a bit. I started to sit in on general chemistry to help reinforce the concepts but I found my textbook and realized I would do better to just practice the problems and refresh that way. Working well so far. I am, however, sitting in on organic I and II and it's really helping make the readings a true brush up so I can spend more time on problems. Taking the time to understand why you got them wrong as well as why you got it right - in case you just guessed - is so key.

Someone told me it's because I'm a "smartass" and I honestly read through the passages thinking wtf r u trying to tell me lol . Just imagine the writer of the passage is that friend that talks a lot and you have to filter the extra words and question y she added them lol .... But yea I really want to get like a 13 since my baseline is a 10 ..... But those sciences fml ....

LOL. actually seems like a solid approach

Why are u giving up EK1001,can you not use it as a supplement?
I am from a pure science background,doing undergrad in biology.Having said that I still suck at bio passages which is why I chose use TBR for bio, In my opinion it is better to know more than less :) however,I have been criticized repeatedly in SDN for using TBR for bio :(

I skipped EK Bio for SN2 and am only using TBR as well... I had the same mindset that a more detailed approach is better as long as you have a clear knowledge of Biology. May I ask what criticisms you received?? I hate the idea of doing something completely wrong.

Hello everyone! Probably a shot in the dark... but I am currently signed up to take my MCAT April 11th in Culver City, would anyone else in the LA area be willing to switch test dates?

Just took my first MCAT today and voided it (decided before the exam that I was not prepared). I am planning to take it again and make it count on May 8! If I can give some advice to everyone here, it would be this : DO NOT SPEND MORE THAN 2 Weeks on Content Review. You should be able to completely read and get notes from TBR books and then after 2 weeks just go straight out answering questions. I spent too much time on content review, and today's test made me realize that what is in the book is nowhere near to how much you should understand the material. You really have to understand the concepts deeply, especially for physics. Don't put a lot of emphasis on memorizing lots of formulas like the TBR book forces you too, you should know just the basic basic equations and most importantly understand how the physical phenomena work. I have 17hrs of classes + research, planning to complete one of the 3 hour class in the next 2 weeks. Its gonna be hell for the next 3 months I'll tell you that!

Reactions: 1 users
Just took my first MCAT today and voided it (decided before the exam that I was not prepared). I am planning to take it again and make it count on May 8! If I can give some advice to everyone here, it would be this : DO NOT SPEND MORE THAN 2 Weeks on Content Review. You should be able to completely read and get notes from TBR books and then after 2 weeks just go straight out answering questions. I spent too much time on content review, and today's test made me realize that what is in the book is nowhere near to how much you should understand the material. You really have to understand the concepts deeply, especially for physics. Don't put a lot of emphasis on memorizing lots of formulas like the TBR book forces you too, you should know just the basic basic equations and most importantly understand how the physical phenomena work. I have 17hrs of classes + research, planning to complete one of the 3 hour class in the next 2 weeks. Its gonna be hell for the next 3 months I'll tell you that!

Thanks for your input. May I ask how you studied the first time around? Did you use TBR for Gchem and Orgo and Physics?

How did you find the BS? What would you change about your prep this time?

So you are basically saying that I should read all of my TBR books in 2 weeks? and then practice with questions?

For those of you doing SN2ed plan with EK bio and BR Bio for passages.. Chapter 1 of EK bio corresponds with about 35 passages in the BR Bio book.. Taking 1/3 of that is around 12 passages per 1/3.. Is this correct? All of the other subjects have only around 13 passages total for the chapter.. Making it around 4 passages per 1/3.. Am I doing this correctly? Thanks!

Also can anyone clarify how to use the ek1001 for the corresponding chapters? I read that it was 1/3 of the problems but couldn't find anywhere that said to finish the second and last 1/3 of the Ek1001 problems for that same chapter. Do I just add it on to the "complete all of second 1/3"?

Last edited:
I just got my BR books and seems that the subjects are not in order, does someone has any tricks to study from them, they seem a little bit too deep and consufing. thanks

Taking the exam on the same date, started studying Jan 1st and hope to have all the content review hopefully by end of feb and focus solely on practicing full length from March-May. The way I've been studying is by using different prep companies. I'm currently enrolled in Kaplan course (complete waste of 2k, save your money and time).

Bio: peterson's mcat success and using tbr to solidify any concepts I dont understand. For practice: Kaplan topical exams (only good thing from the course) and Ek 1001 bio questions (do Ek first and then tackle topical exams)

Organic chem: I've been using organic chemistry as a second language as a review and I use the Princeton review book to supplement any things I need clarification on.
Practice: using acs organic chemistry questions and the Berkeley review passages.

Physics: I've been using TBR and been focusing more on practice rather than content review. I do this by doing topical exams, Ek 1001 physics questions and the tbr passages.

Gen Chem: I've been using mostly EK and for practice the ACS gen chem along with Ek 1001 qs and Kaplan topical exams.

Verbal: I'm focusing only on Ek strategies which are extremely helpful and practicing the Ek verbal passages.

I started intense studying in January and took one full length exam (with a lot of practice left) and scored a 28. It might be they dumb down their exams to give you false confidence that they course alone is sufficient enough to raise scores.
I still have about 3 months left and my target score is 36. Let me know if this was helpful for anyone or if you have any suggestions for me.

If you have any other questions, PM me.

Hello everyone. Newly 5-08 MCATer here after a long decision to abandon my 4-24 plans because the 05-08 test date is so much more promising for me. Hopefully.:nod:

Not confident yet, no. Hopefully by 30 days left I'll feel confident.

I'm using TBR for bio this time around (instead of EK) because bio was by far the hardest section on my previous MCAT. It was all experiment but there was lots of details that I feel TBR can get me ready for.

Also, last go around I didn't even open a book for organic because I major in BIOCHEM and I've taken organic 1-2-3-4. But this worked against me since I made dumb organic mistakes on the real one/ took too long to answer easy questions. So this time I'm actually gonna learn reactions and such again.

I'm probably not gonna spend much time on gen chem since I was continually getting perfect in my practice AAMC and did fairly well on it in the real one.

I'm going to do physics last of the content review. I'm going to mainly use EK plus my notes from the class I took for the MCAT during the summer, and supplement TBR for tougher topics like E&M or pressure.

Verbal was my worse score and I'm just going to do some verbal practice slash read some philosophy books every day. I'm going to try different techniques because the one I used I only got 9 on the real thing so hoping to bump that to 10-11.

My last MCAT was 31 (12/9/10)