The Official May 8, 2014 MCAT thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

southpawcannon

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yep, that just happened. And no, I'm not studying tonight. Are you cray cray? Just watching college football and opening my box from Berkeley Review that finally arrived. Prep commences tomorrow!

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats to all y'all submitting apps now (I'm a year away).

*In FDR's voice*
"May 8th, 2014... a date which will live in infamy... the United States of America was suddenly and deliberately attacked by assuming g equals 10 meters per second squared."

Reactions: 2 users
I'm so depressed :p
I went from indifferent, to anxious, depressed, happy, and now sad lol. People keep asking me if I know my score and how I did and I almost don't want to know at this point because I fear I did badly now.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I can't think of anything else.... its eating me away!

Yeah, same here. If I'm not doing something to thoroughly distract my mind, I get super anxious. I couldn't fall asleep last night, so I stayed up til 4AM playing a game :O

Also, I keep getting emails from freaking AMCAS on "How to Prepare for the MCAT exam," what message are they trying to send?! (haha)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, same here. If I'm not doing something to thoroughly distract my mind, I get super anxious. I couldn't fall asleep last night, so I stayed up til 4AM playing a game :O

Also, I keep getting emails from freaking AMCAS on "How to Prepare for the MCAT exam," what message are they trying to send?! (haha)

LOL I get those emails too. They get deleted along with every other annoying message they've sent since my MCAT

I fail at every attempt to distract myself.

I went from indifferent, to anxious, depressed, happy, and now sad lol. People keep asking me if I know my score and how I did and I almost don't want to know at this point because I fear I did badly now.

The only emotion I can't feel atm: happiness
Totally depressed. The fact is I've experienced failure once.
The taste is still fresh even though a year passed.

I fail at every attempt to distract myself.

The only emotion I can't feel atm: happiness
Totally depressed. The fact is I've experienced failure once.
The taste is still fresh even though a year passed.

My failures have always pushed me further. It always gives me motivation to try harder. I felt happiness in the sense that I took the mcat. I prepped for it and I did the best I could given my prep on exam day. There's nothing else we can do but wait. After that we can all make an assessment for what to do.

Idk how many times i keep getting asked if i got my score/how i did..... Just leave me alone people!

Idk how many times i keep getting asked if i got my score/how i did..... Just leave me alone people!

At least 30 times in the last 29 days. Especially when everyone knew I prepped so long for this. Puts a huge pressure on me to at least get results that were worth all that time.

At least 30 times in the last 29 days. Especially when everyone knew I prepped so long for this. Puts a huge pressure on me to at least get results that were worth all that time.

This time around I told absolutely no one except my family because I need the money to pay for the exam. No one shall know it!!!

Speaking as a 26-year-old returning student that has worked to rebuild his profile, maybe I can lighten the mood. The MCAT is just a number. Yeah its an important test, but it doesnt test your desire. If you want to become a doctor and work diligently to get there, then you will be one.

I know its painful for your "perfect path" to take a turn you didn't expect, but look at the long run. You're going to be a doctor, one way or another.

Reactions: 1 users
So be like me, hope for the best score but be prepared to roll with the punches and keep fighting if it doesn't come out exactly how you want.

I sleep like a baby because fretting over my score doesn't change anything.

Just my 2 cents

Speaking as a 26-year-old returning student that has worked to rebuild his profile, maybe I can lighten the mood. The MCAT is just a number. Yeah its an important test, but it doesnt test your desire. If you want to become a doctor and work diligently to get there, then you will be one.

I know its painful for your "perfect path" to take a turn you didn't expect, but look at the long run. You're going to be a doctor, one way or another.

Unfortunately, MCAT is make or break. And since MCAT is changing, for many people it's a last shot.

Members don't see this ad :)
What do U mean impressed by a 29-31?
Statistically irrelevant = I am just shooting the ****.
I know a few people who were getting 33-35 on practice tests, but scored 29-31 and still got into US MD. I am assuming that med schools know our Mcat has insane sections like the PS we got, whereas <2010 werent as bad.

Statistically irrelevant = I am just shooting the ****.
I know a few people who were getting 33-35 on practice tests, but scored 29-31 and still got into US MD. I am assuming that med schools know our Mcat has insane sections like the PS we got, whereas <2010 werent as bad.

I've has 2 friends that were scoring in the low 30s and both ended up with 36 and 37 on the real deal. Then one of my classmates was scoring 35-36 and got a 29.
You can def get in to an MD program with a 29-31 but I would obviously like to have my chances much higher in the 33+ range. Being from CA kinda sucks in that our state medical schools are ultra competitive and all have higher MCATs

I've has 2 friends that were scoring in the low 30s and both ended up with 36 and 37 on the real deal. Then one of my classmates was scoring 35-36 and got a 29.
You can def get in to an MD program with a 29-31 but I would obviously like to have my chances much higher in the 33+ range. Being from CA kinda sucks in that our state medical schools are ultra competitive and all have higher MCATs

After looking at the numbers I feel so bad for your guys. Those are some rough average MCAT scores

Unfortunately, MCAT is make or break. And since MCAT is changing, for many people it's a last shot.

Like most things in life, the truth falls somewhere in the middle, a shade of gray, not black or white. It's a little more than "just a number", but by no means is this score " make or break."

The MCAT matters a lot as far as getting into medical school. It matters more for some than others. It may matter a great deal more to me, a 25 year old non-trad with a low GPA than say, a picture perfect junior with a 4.0 from Harvard.

However, after speaking with many doctors, when we do end up getting there, we will look back at the MCAT similarly to how we currently remember the SAT... that test that was much simpler than the bigger ones we've taken recently.

God, I swear every day that passes is worse and worse. I was numb a few days after the exam and then largely put the worrying out of my mind. Now that we're approaching Tuesday, it's all I can think about. I actually get nauseous at times if I dwell on it too much. It sucks when you've already submitted your application and this is what you're waiting on and is what will make/break your application (to a certain extent).

This... We do not have a medical school that interviews 80% of instate apps and accepts 75% of those unfortunately. Also, wanting to stay "close" to home is hard because most M.D. schools aren't non-resident friendly until you get on the east coast.

God, I swear every day that passes is worse and worse. I was numb a few days after the exam and then largely put the worrying out of my mind. Now that we're approaching Tuesday, it's all I can think about. I actually get nauseous at times if I dwell on it too much. It sucks when you've already submitted your application and this is what you're waiting on and is what will make/break your application (to a certain extent).

Head up. As you obviously know, worrying to this extent is so counterproductive. I found that taking 200-400mg of L-theanine has really helped me to calm down and relax (even think more clearly when studying/testing) in the past. Also green tea, which has a little L-theanine per cup.

Head up. As you obviously know, worrying to this extent is so counterproductive. I found that taking 200-400mg of L-theanine has really helped me to calm down and relax (even think more clearly when studying/testing) in the past. Also green tea, which has a little L-theanine per cup.
Yeah, theanine is amazing. I use it a lot during the school year (and it helps with caffeine too for studying). I just always forget I have it. I think I'm gonna take some and go running!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This week has gone by so fast with work! Now that I'm off for two days, and finishing anything left on my application, it is going by slooowwww. What are your plans for when you find out guys? Im thinking of going off by myself so I don't have that pressure of people waiting for me to look!!!

This week has gone by so fast with work! Now that I'm off for two days, and finishing anything left on my application, it is going by slooowwww. What are your plans for when you find out guys? Im thinking of going off by myself so I don't have that pressure of people waiting for me to look!!!

I'm gonna check on the 11th. I'll go in expecting a 23-25 and hopefully be extremely surprised. Then I'll either be happy or neutral. I'll either start my studying that day or go sell my mcat books and make bang money. Then I'll come back to this thread and post my scores so people can see what people got on the May 8th exam. Then hopefully if my score is good I'll go back to lurking on SDN until I decide to apply.

before scores are released on Tuesday, I just want to say...

I feel really good about the time I invested preparing for the MCAT. I was fortunate enough to be able to take time off from school/work and dedicate over 3 months to preparation (I used the SN2ed method, with several modifications). Regardless of how I did, I feel like I made significant progress in terms of my learning potential. Prior to beginning my studies, my reading speed was abysmal (20-30th percentile, based on a few different diagnostics including a previous administration of the MCAT). After 3 months of working at it (~5-8 hrs/day), I felt much more confident processing new information quickly. I'm now enjoying putting those skills to work by pursuing my interests more fluidly, without getting bogged down in the sheer mass of information out there. Getting into medical school would be nice, but I think it bears repeating that "becoming a doctor" is not the end goal.

Best of luck to everyone.

Getting into medical school would be nice, but I think it bears repeating that "becoming a doctor" is not the end goal.

If only I truly felt this way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

before scores are released on Tuesday, I just want to say...

I feel really good about the time I invested preparing for the MCAT. I was fortunate enough to be able to take time off from school/work and dedicate over 3 months to preparation (I used the SN2ed method, with several modifications). Regardless of how I did, I feel like I made significant progress in terms of my learning potential. Prior to beginning my studies, my reading speed was abysmal (20-30th percentile, based on a few different diagnostics including a previous administration of the MCAT). After 3 months of working at it (~5-8 hrs/day), I felt much more confident processing new information quickly. I'm now enjoying putting those skills to work by pursuing my interests more fluidly, without getting bogged down in the sheer mass of information out there. Getting into medical school would be nice, but I think it bears repeating that "becoming a doctor" is not the end goal.

Best of luck to everyone.

Yeah. I went from 8-9 VR to 11-12 VR. I burned through over 600 verbal-type passages. By the time I walked into that test, I exhausted all verbal material. Overall, I became a better reader. Still, after all that effort, it shouldn't be a crime to say you "earned" a spot in med school.

Eh, nothing can be done at this point. Just stash your crap and move on. All the things you did to get into med school will just make it so much better at the end. You will become more persistent and a more hardened person.

Last edited:
I still haven't decided if I am going to go to the break room during my shift on Tuesday to check my score, or just wait it out and check after work... I am so nervous this is literally a nightmare.

But then again... I don't wanna get all deep on you guys, but I feel like we are all really blessed and privileged to have this experience be what we call a "nightmare" because at least we have a shot at pursuing our dreams.

these daily updates have kept me so entertained. you better get to be the first person to post "THEY'RE UP" on Tuesday. no one else deserves that honor lol

Haha thank you. Tuesday is a busy day but I plan to be here immediately after I find out.

I have a 3-hour window where I'm available during the day (noon-3PM) and I hope it comes out around then.

And on your point dopa-mean, part of me doesn't want to find out until after work at 5PM. If its bad then I think I might be the most demotivated employee in the building.

But I know I won't be able to resist and I will check it, no matter where I am.

But I know I won't be able to resist and I will check it, no matter where I am.
SAME HERE. Especially because the internet is so accessible, with phones and computers being around all the time; my self-control doesn't stand a chance. I'll probably check within the first couple of minutes.

Already got the twitter page for @AAMC_MCAT bookmarked on my phone, as well as the Thx score checking system

Ive already decided to check on my phone after work in the parking lot. That way I can compose myself in the car on my way home. Is that depressing? Maybe. lol Damn, I just want Tuesday to go well for all of ussss! We deserve some miracle PS curve and med school spots!!!!

im from the june 5th camp and im hoping you all killed your PS section cause that would make me feel better about the june 5th physical sciences section lol

Well guys! It should be released tomorrow : ) Good luck to all! I feel like we're all old war buddies or something.
Some of us go crazy, some desert, some surprise you, and there's always that one guy that we all knew was doomed the second he got there. Either way, I'm sure nearly everyone in this forum will be a doctor someday. After thousands and thousands of dollars, hours, and stress, you all did great. I talked to my buddy who took it on the 22nd, and he said he didn't feel it was as impossible as ours, by the way I was venting about how hard PS was. So we definitely got a bad one. Cheers, and good luck!

Fingers crossed they're released early today though? :)

Wut Wut...? Today like 5pm today?

They usually come out after 3pm (they always post to their Twitter page). They're officially going to be released tomorrow, but people have said every now and then they'll release them a day early.

Heh, are you trying to give people heart attacks? Although I also wish they would give it out so that we can know

I'm pretty sure I'll have a heart attack opening the site anyway. Might as well get a head start now, right?

Does anyone know how often the scores get released a day early? I've seen some posts about it here but mostly from years back.
Also I went to sleep last night thinking about how I hadn't had a dream about my scores yet, and of course I had one last night

Well because you thought about dreaming about it too much your dream became that dream and you dreamed that dream. Ya know assuming g=10m/s2.

Been following this blog for a long time. Agreed with nearly everything you've said throughout, been astounded by your practice results, and comforted by your kind words. Good luck tomorrow everyone, and after some long studying, and alot more worrying we should all enjoy an adult beverage or two if things work out!

According to the AAMC official twitter feed, all of the previous 2014 tests have had their scores released between 12:00 pm and 1:00 pm on the scheduled day. So I think we can safely expect that. I for one am gonna try to chill as much as possible until noon tomorrow.

What I don't get...
If there isn't really a curve, and everything is predetermined and they almost never alter the scores after an MCAT and it's all computerized now...

Why do they make everyone wait a month??