The Official September 6, 2014 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oxelhs

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Bit early, but post here if you're writing on this date. For me, it's looking to be third time's the charm hopefully.

Members don't see this ad.

Nvm, starting my Kaplan class tomorrow. That was a spur of the moment thing! I'll be taking my diagnostic tomorrow; i'll let you guys know how that goes!

Reactions: 1 user
Nvm, starting my Kaplan class tomorrow. That was a spur of the moment thing! I'll be taking my diagnostic tomorrow; i'll let you guys know how that goes!

I am looking forward to it.. I have Kaplan on Demand but I wonder how the class structure/instructors are.

I am looking forward to it.. I have Kaplan on Demand but I wonder how the class structure/instructors are.
Im doing the online course. I was in the class earlier this year, but the in-class barely helps in my honest opinion. I was calling kaplan to give me two more months of using their resources (practice exams etc.) but they just told me I could take the class again. Do everything they say and follow all the assignments and you should get 30+!

Did you take the diagnostic yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
Im doing the online course. I was in the class earlier this year, but the in-class barely helps in my honest opinion. I was calling kaplan to give me two more months of using their resources (practice exams etc.) but they just told me I could take the class again. Do everything they say and follow all the assignments and you should get 30+!

Did you take the diagnostic yet?

I have not I decided to do content review and then do FLs... I really hope I can get a 30+ ... I've been doing SN2ed and then I supplement the topicals/quizzes for each topic. I personally REALLY like the q bank and I think their passages are really up to the difficulty of the exam. :)

I have not I decided to do content review and then do FLs... I really hope I can get a 30+ ... I've been doing SN2ed and then I supplement the topicals/quizzes for each topic. I personally REALLY like the q bank and I think their passages are really up to the difficulty of the exam. :)
I hope you do too! I'll be content with a 32; aiming for a 34 if everything goes perfect.

Yeh I'm not going to be happy with less than a 34 with at least 10 in verbal. I'm a rewrite from 31 (12/9/10).

Hoping to finish physics and gen chem review by Friday next week, and start learning mechanisms for orgo as well as bio review until maybe end of July while doing 3 passages of verbal each day.

I currently just got lucky and stumbled upon a copy of TPRH verbal and am using that now. Verbal is the bane to my existence. I can't crack over a 9 if my life depended on it. Anyways, hoping content wil be fully done in 3 weeks. Leaving me a good month to do only FL and practice.

Finished Kaplan diagnostic; got a 20 (7/5/8). 57 days to improve to at least a 32!

Reactions: 2 users
I still have O chem and gen chem to review for the following 2 weeks and then A LOT of memorization. I've been using the Kaplan books for review and EK 1001's in between for practice. I took the prep course with Kaplan last year and honestly didn't find it very helpful especially their strategy for the verbal section. I'm a slow reader (since English isn't my first language), and Kaplan's mapping method takes way too much time for me. But they do give you better answer explanations than the EK 101 verbal book. The last practice exam I took was AAMC7 and I scored a 20. I'm hoping to get that 30+ score in less than 2 months while working 40+ hours a week... not gonna be easy haha.. > <:(

I still have O chem and gen chem to review for the following 2 weeks and then A LOT of memorization. I've been using the Kaplan books for review and EK 1001's in between for practice. I took the prep course with Kaplan last year and honestly didn't find it very helpful especially their strategy for the verbal section. I'm a slow reader (since English isn't my first language), and Kaplan's mapping method takes way too much time for me. But they do give you better answer explanations than the EK 101 verbal book. The last practice exam I took was AAMC7 and I scored a 20. I'm hoping to get that 30+ score in less than 2 months while working 40+ hours a week... not gonna be easy haha.. > <:(
I find the best verbal strategy to he EK. But don't take it from me, I only scored a 9 my first time in Verbal

I just registered! I thought this would be a good date because I can study until the end of summer and take the test before schoolwork gets heavy. I'm doing content review from a Kaplan book right now.

I just registered! I thought this would be a good date because I can study until the end of summer and take the test before schoolwork gets heavy. I'm doing content review from a Kaplan book right now.
Get cracking, you ideally want to give yourself a month of only problems and FL before test day.

Reactions: 1 users
So, I can't seem to stop doing physics for some reason. I'm trying to get it completely out of the way before moving on to BS.

On that note, I hate hydrodynamics.

Hey guys. Been doing the TPR diagnostics for the last couple days. Have gone through both bio and gen chem. Should be done all the diagnostics in a few days. Then onto AAMC SAs and TPR FLs.

Verbal seems to be getting better. I tried using the highlight tool and having been making just one mistake per passage. Albeit, I've only practiced highlighting for 3-4 passages but i'll take that!

EDIT: Did a few more verbal passages today and results are still consistent (just 1 wrong/passage as opposed to the usual 2 or 3)! Give the highlighting a try. I think the process lends to a more aggressive and active reading of the passage, which has translated to a better understanding for me.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Get cracking, you ideally want to give yourself a month of only problems and FL before test day.
Yeah, that's a good idea. I don't really have a rigorous plan, just kinda doing practice questions and content review whenever I feel like it (luckily I'm a huge nerd and I get really into studying once I start), but hopefully I'll be done with content review by the end of the month.

I am literally counting the days till this is over. My life can have meaning again. :)

Just joined this...... So I don't feel alone in my sad, lonely endeavor. Just finished the Kaplan class week and plan on repeating it again! So I can use all of their resources.

Just joined too!
I finsihed reading all the TBR books 2 weeks ago and, according to my schedule, I'll have most everything memorized by Friday in time to takemy first FL with Kaplan (for free)online on Saturday. I'm just memorizing and doing passages now in the physical sciences (using TBR). I guess it's just studying/memorization until the end of July and then 3 FL every week in August. Does this sound like a good schedule? Or am I behind?

Has anyone done one of those promotioinal Kaplan FL tests for free online? How are they compared to the real MCAT?

Just joined too!
I finsihed reading all the TBR books 2 weeks ago and, according to my schedule, I'll have most everything memorized by Friday in time to takemy first FL with Kaplan (for free)online on Saturday. I'm just memorizing and doing passages now in the physical sciences (using TBR). I guess it's just studying/memorization until the end of July and then 3 FL every week in August. Does this sound like a good schedule? Or am I behind?

Has anyone done one of those promotioinal Kaplan FL tests for free online? How are they compared to the real MCAT?

Haven't done the Kaplans but a month of FLs is solid. Looks like you've got your stuff straight!

Finally finished my Full lengths schedule. My first full length going to be August 2nd. Taking one FL a week after that for the next two weeks, then i'll do 2-3 AAMC's per week. Doing some physics right now!

Retaking here for 9/6. Can someone inform me where they are in the SN2ed sched? I just want to ballpark.
Debating if I should do Kaplans online from July 29 to Aug 28 and how I'm going to form a 'custom' Sn2ed sched.
Thanks.

Retaking here for 9/6. Can someone inform me where they are in the SN2ed sched? I just want to ballpark.
Debating if I should do Kaplans online from July 29 to Aug 28 and how I'm going to form a 'custom' Sn2ed sched.
Thanks.

I'm on day 46 and I think I'm on schedule to finish SN2 on time. The only thing keeping me going is the fact that I leave for study abroad September 7th :)

Also something for verbal that might help you guys like it helped me, for TPRH and EK101 when I'm writing my answers on paper I write out all the answer choices for a question and systematically cross out answer choices. Someone told me to do this and I didn't believe it would work, but I went from getting a 6 on my first practice test to an 11 on my most recent one!

Just started this new study technique where I start a timer whenever I begin studying. Once I take a break, I pause the timer. I intend to reach a minimum of 6 hours everyday. Whatever amount of content I get done in that time will suffice I guess :laugh::vomit:

I'm cutting down my work hours to only 16 starting next week until my exam. I am really hoping to be done all content review with 30 days to go.

I desperately need to get my verbal to consistent 11. Anyone have a trick for those confusing as (insert swear word) philosophy passages? Some of them I swear I am just as clueless after reading the passage as I was when I started reading.

Also do you guys Eliminate extreme answers right away? Or do u use that as a last resort elimination. I'm kinda struggling to get consistency with my verbal

Kaplan Full Length 7 tomorrow afternoon. Will update with results!

Didn't end up taking the test, I slept in :\ I should probably take things more seriously from here on out. I didnt feel too confident in all the physics concepts, so maybe thats why I let myself sleep in. I'll definitely take one soon though.

Last edited:
I'm taking the September 10th test, but this seems to be the closest thread.

I took TPR FL 1 two weeks ago and got a 24. This week I took AAMC 3 and got a 28, but was told AAMC 3 is way too easy compared to the real thing so my score concerns me. Really need to bring up my PS score. Hoping to improve in the time I have left :(

Hear hear! Im a sept. 6 test taker as well. 3rd time retaking it and doing kaplan course and planning to do a lot more practice problems than I ever did before. Extremely nervous because I didnt do anywhere near as well as I wanted the first two test takes, but trying to do things a lot more differently and seriously this time. Its really hard but im pushing myself!

Hear hear! Im a sept. 6 test taker as well. 3rd time retaking it and doing kaplan course and planning to do a lot more practice problems than I ever did before. Extremely nervous because I didnt do anywhere near as well as I wanted the first two test takes, but trying to do things a lot more differently and seriously this time. Its really hard but im pushing myself!
Just stay disciplined and keep up the hard work, and it'll go well

Finished Gen Chem and have 2 more chapters of physics to go over and 2 more of orgo to do. Then it's all bio for next 10 days.

How's your studying going fellow September 6ers?

I'll be done content this upcoming Tuesday and will begin review with some passages. After that I will do my aamc diagnostics and the aamc practice tests. I finished EK and TPR verbal so I will begin the Kaplan verbal tests to finalize my verbal techniques, timing and endurance. Aiming for 35.
Wow Thats great, you're in real good shape it's looking. I'm gonna be done content by August 4th about.

Keep it up I'm sure the diagnostic will go well

Gonna write my first FL this Saturday. I need to heavily review orgo (feels like I don't remember anything) and some physics. Aghh.

I'm cutting down my work hours to only 16 starting next week until my exam. I am really hoping to be done all content review with 30 days to go.

I desperately need to get my verbal to consistent 11. Anyone have a trick for those confusing as (insert swear word) philosophy passages? Some of them I swear I am just as clueless after reading the passage as I was when I started reading.

Also do you guys Eliminate extreme answers right away? Or do u use that as a last resort elimination. I'm kinda struggling to get consistency with my verbal
Oh hey, I'm a philosophy major! I can try to give some advice. Do you have an idea of what makes them difficult for you? The construction of the sentences, the vocabulary, the content, etc?

I'm taking the September 10th exam. Took another FL today. My scores so far:

7-9-14, TPR FL 1 : 5 PS, 9 VR, 10 BS (24)
7-16-14, AAMC 3: 9 PS, 9 VR, 10 BS (28)
7-25-14, TPR FL 2: 5 PS, 9 VR, 8 BS (22)

Pretty frustrating. I had planned to take one FL a week until it gets closer, but I'm not sure I'm going to take another FL until I can figure out what I'm doing wrong.

7/25/14: Kaplan FL 7: 24- 9/6/9

PS- Guessed on 3 passages. I spent too much time answering calculation heavy questions. (especially discretes)
VR- I was mentally exhausted at this point. I guessed on an entire passage. Got to the last passage with 20 minutes left, didn't review anything.
BS- I REALLY NEED TO REVIEW ORGO. I haven't touched BS content [bio or orgo] in a few months.

Will be taking another FL soon, maybe next Wednesday or Saturday. 42 days left!

EDIT: WOW.. got 9 discretes wrong in BS. Got some content to review.

Last edited:
Going to review this FL and work on concepts Im weak in! Hopefully I can see a 10 point increase in 42 days +pity+

7/25/14: Kaplan FL 7: 24- 9/6/9

PS- Guessed on 3 passages. I spent too much time answering calculation heavy questions. (especially discretes)
VR- I was mentally exhausted at this point. I guessed on an entire passage. Got to the last passage with 20 minutes left, didn't review anything.
BS- I REALLY NEED TO REVIEW ORGO. I haven't touched BS content [bio or orgo] in a few months.

Will be taking another FL soon, maybe next Wednesday or Saturday. 42 days left!

EDIT: WOW.. got 9 discretes wrong in BS. Got some content to review.
Watch out with your timing. Discretes should he free points usually, and they should never take more than 70 seconds. If u can't answer them right away u mark it and move on and come back to it. Watch out because timing was my downfall the first time I wrote the MCAT and I spent too mmuch Ttime on 1 passage and it screwed me for the rest of the section.

Just finished TPR FL 1: 9/9/12. Not happy with the PS as I thought it was easier than the score reflects. VR is the same old ****. 30 is decent but not where I want to be considering I am rewriting a 10/7/12.

Btw, have you guys done the AAMC SAs yet? i'm thinking of starting them after my next FL and alternating between FLs and doing practice passages from TPRSW and SAs in the days in between.

Last edited:
AAMC 11: 10/12/12
(I'm doing them out of order so I still have a few tests left.)
I'm pretty happy overall, but I thought I'd do better on PS since I've been doing so much physics content review lately. I think at this point content review won't be as useful to me as taking practice tests and reading every explanation.

Hey all. I'm probably switching to this date from my original August 15th one. Used SN2ed's schedule, and haven't hit a 34 yet :(. VB is easy, but I'm struggling to get my PS and BS up. I'm usually 1 question away from going up a point, and that's super frustrating. I'm definitely going to do the AAMC SA's. I've heard they're super helpful. Also gonna try to incorporate GS exams, as I've heard their PS is more challenging.

<EDIT> Trying to look for a seat right now is proving to be extremely difficult. Sigh sigh.

Last edited:
Hey all. I'm probably switching to this date from my original August 15th one. Used SN2ed's schedule, and haven't hit a 34 yet :(. VB is easy, but I'm struggling to get my PS and BS up. I'm usually 1 question away from going up a point, and that's super frustrating. I'm definitely going to do the AAMC SA's. I've heard they're super helpful. Also gonna try to incorporate GS exams, as I've heard their PS is more challenging.

<EDIT> Trying to look for a seat right now is proving to be extremely difficult. Sigh sigh.
as always u could wait until 2 weeks before the exam, people always drop

Signed up for August 7th but I'm thinking about pushing it back since I'm not scoring near my goal. Anyone planning to apply this cycle?

I am.. just because not applying means you have a 0% chance of not getting in. I'd rather try having something miraculous happen. I haven't started my application yet :s