rdub

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

My number 1 right here! Can't wait to hopefully get an interview

Reactions: 1 user
My number 1 right here! Can't wait to hopefully get an interview
Did you ever hear back from them after emailing in the secondary application?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I got a pretty lengthy email showing their pre-reqs and my status with all of them. Starts with..

We want to thank you for your interest in the University of Utah School of Dentistry. We have received your AADSAS application along with your supplemental application and fee of $75.00 for the school year beginning August 2017.

Hey guys! Current D1 student here! If any of you have any questions I am happy to help in any way I can!

Sent from my SM-G900T using SDN mobile

I'm currently in Provo and have been checking out apartments up there. Where do most students live? I'd like to be able to walk to school but it seems like nicer places are further away and mostly cheaper.

It really depends on your situation. Some students live in the student housing that is located right by the school, others have found places near sugarhouse area and bountiful area. Remember that all students that go to the U get a free UTA public transit pass so that is super nice. I live in Sandy and take transit.

By the way, the school is awesome! ;)

My number 1 as well! Hopefully the wait isn't too bad from here :)

I'm currently in Provo and have been checking out apartments up there. Where do most students live? I'd like to be able to walk to school but it seems like nicer places are further away and mostly cheaper.

I'm not sure where most people go for graduate school since I've only experienced it as an undergrad. My guess is that they either have their own places with their spouses or are in shared housing with other students. There are some University housing options as well. I liked the U's housing but it was more expensive than my other option at the time so I left. I would consider going back though. If you do a quick search for housing.utah.edu or apartments.utah.edu you can see some of those units and they've also got offcampushousing.utah.edu to help with that search too. Undergrads mainly live off campus since the U is a commuter school but there is a good population on and near campus.

Awesome, thanks. I've been looking at apartments.com and stuff and there are some nice looking places..but the people that have experience in the area always know best!

If you have a family and can spend the money, the nicest places (the most expensive ones too) are north of 3300 south and 700 E.

I got an email from Julie Oyler on 8.20 - the one saying the application is under review and showing that my pre-reqs have been satisfied. Does anyone know how many students they will admit for 2017?

I got an email from Julie Oyler on 8.20 - the one saying the application is under review and showing that my pre-reqs have been satisfied. Does anyone know how many students they will admit for 2017?
In the past they have admitted ~22 or so students, but I heard this year it will be double that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys! Current D1 student here! If any of you have any questions I am happy to help in any way I can!

Blapo- Do you have any idea how many spots Utah will have for the 2017 cycle? And are the classes that started 2015 and 2016 practically all IS? Thanks in advance!

Blapo- Do you have any idea how many spots Utah will have for the 2017 cycle? And are the classes that started 2015 and 2016 practically all IS? Thanks in advance!

So I've been a few of Dr. Lowder's (Dean of admissions) presentations, and this is what I remember/wrote down. They've been slowly ramping up the number of admitted students to the max of 50. Supposedly this cycle they will admit 50, which is their max per class from here on out. By law, 20 of those spots must be in state and I imagine the other 30 will be divided fairly between deserving in state and out of state candidates, with preference to Montana, Idaho, Hawaii, and other regional states. Blapo probably knows more, but I believe that during their year they admitted 40 and it was 20 in state 20 out of state.

Got an interview email. Heading there on 10/7

Just got my invitation to interview as well! I'm excited to see the school.

Congratulations all, got my interview today as well! Very excited.

You three in or out of state?

You three in or out of state?
I think I am OS. I graduated from college in Utah, which according to last year's thread may mean I am considered IS. However, that was quite some time ago so I'm not sure - I imagine there is a limit to how far back they will look at that and still consider you IS!

Well congrats guys! That's super exciting. I hope I get an email!

In state. I'm sure your email will come!
Your well wishing worked! Got an invite. Somewhat confused by the format though, do we get to pick from all those times on each day and we can stay for lunch and a tour only if we want?

Your well wishing worked! Got an invite. Somewhat confused by the format though, do we get to pick from all those times on each day and we can stay for lunch and a tour only if we want?
That's exactly what happens. Interview is an hour and a half

Okay so you pick a time, interview for an hour and a half, and then just hang around if we want for lunch and tours. Cool.

Okay so you pick a time, interview for an hour and a half, and then just hang around if we want for lunch and tours. Cool.

Yeah. Julie asked me if I was planning on staying for the different events just to get an RSVP. I was tempted to split it up and go see the financial aide presentation a different day but I figured I could survive if I missed a single immunology lecture haha.

So the 7th is full already, I'll be there on the 14th!

Got an invite today!

Reactions: 1 users
I called them today and asked, they said they are trying to accept 25 IS/25 OOS for this cycle

Question for anyone familiar with the interview process / Salt Lake City in general -

My interview time is 10:30, ending with a school tour that starts at 2pm.

As OOS, I am booking travel now. My question is - do you guys think I should book the 5:15PM flight on the same day of my interview? I am not sure how long the tour will last and obviously do not want to be in a rush or have to leave early by any means. However, if the tour is typically only an hour, then I could save money by flying home that day.

Any opinions?? Thanks!!

You can get to the airport within about 40 minutes from the school, depending on traffic. It could also be way faster then that, or way slower. If you're leaving at 3 you may start to hit traffic. I would feel more comfortable with an hour more of wiggle room, but it's definitely doable.

SLC isn't a hugely busy airport either, at least not when I've been there!

Yeah, google maps shows 20 minutes for a no traffic commute. You really should be fine if you're leaving at 3 for a 5:15 trip.

Thanks!! So I am assuming that the school tour will only be around an hour - does anyone else know for sure?

Question for anyone familiar with the interview process / Salt Lake City in general -

My interview time is 10:30, ending with a school tour that starts at 2pm.

As OOS, I am booking travel now. My question is - do you guys think I should book the 5:15PM flight on the same day of my interview? I am not sure how long the tour will last and obviously do not want to be in a rush or have to leave early by any means. However, if the tour is typically only an hour, then I could save money by flying home that day.

Any opinions?? Thanks!!

Thanks!! So I am assuming that the school tour will only be around an hour - does anyone else know for sure?

Rand is right, you should be OK. The tours last about an hour, maybe a bit longer with questions, packing up, leaving, etc. That'll put you at around 3:30. The airport shouldn't be too busy and you'll only have minor traffic getting through the city (but it will start to increase very quickly the longer you wait). On a good day I can get to the airport in 20 minutes from campus. I'd say book it. Congratulations by the way! Hope it goes well.

Very excited to interview here! Does anyone have any important information regarding the school's interviews? Perhaps questions they really like, or qualities they tend to focus on? Important aspects of the school that I should learn about before the interview?

Thanks for any help! It is my first interview so I am pretty nervous and could not find any important information in other threads!

Very excited to interview here! Does anyone have any important information regarding the school's interviews? Perhaps questions they really like, or qualities they tend to focus on? Important aspects of the school that I should learn about before the interview?

Thanks for any help! It is my first interview so I am pretty nervous and could not find any important information in other threads!

My quick 'n' dirty 'I'm supposed to be studying' answer is that they are looking for people who have a strong desire to learn, are compassionate, understand the profession they seek to enter, have good character, and can make contributions to the school. They ask pretty standard interview questions from what I've heard, and its more of a conversation style interview. I'd do some research about the U as a whole and browse through the dentistry.utah.edu site to get a feel for the culture there. The U is a tier 1 research university and my guess/bet is that they're going to start looking for more students who can help get the dental school to that level. The U has a very relaxed atmosphere and Salt Lake is a wonderful place to live. If you have any specific questions I'll do my best to answer them!

My quick 'n' dirty 'I'm supposed to be studying' answer is that they are looking for people who have a strong desire to learn, are compassionate, understand the profession they seek to enter, have good character, and can make contributions to the school. They ask pretty standard interview questions from what I've heard, and its more of a conversation style interview. I'd do some research about the U as a whole and browse through the dentistry.utah.edu site to get a feel for the culture there. The U is a tier 1 research university and my guess/bet is that they're going to start looking for more students who can help get the dental school to that level. The U has a very relaxed atmosphere and Salt Lake is a wonderful place to live. If you have any specific questions I'll do my best to answer them!

Hello! I know that every school is different in terms of the probability of getting accepted if an interview is granted. I was wondering if you know how UofU works? Does getting an interview mean that you have a high chance of acceptance? Are they just trying to see if you have any red flags during the interview? Thank you!

Hello! I know that every school is different in terms of the probability of getting accepted if an interview is granted. I was wondering if you know how UofU works? Does getting an interview mean that you have a high chance of acceptance? Are they just trying to see if you have any red flags during the interview? Thank you!

So for the record, I'm applying just the same as everybody else haha I've just been to a lot of admissions presentations. In the past (this was from 4/6/15) they have invited around 120 people to interview and extended 55 acceptances. If you were invited to an interview, its because they liked you on paper and want to get to know you face to face. The idea is to ensure that you are a good fit for their program, that you will actually be able to succeed in the rigor of the program, and that you will be able to contribute to the school and profession. The only thing you can do is to be yourself during the interview.

So for the record, I'm applying just the same as everybody else haha I've just been to a lot of admissions presentations. In the past (this was from 4/6/15) they have invited around 120 people to interview and extended 55 acceptances. If you were invited to an interview, its because they liked you on paper and want to get to know you face to face. The idea is to ensure that you are a good fit for their program, that you will actually be able to succeed in the rigor of the program, and that you will be able to contribute to the school and profession. The only thing you can do is to be yourself during the interview.

Thanks for the reply! Good luck with your application as well!

I got an invite and will be there on halloween! Looking forward to it!

Hello! My interview is coming up for this school and I am super excited. I was wondering what is the interview like?

Hello! My interview is coming up for this school and I am super excited. I was wondering what is the interview like?
The first interviews for this cycle aren't until Mon (10.3) so your best bet may be to look through last year's forum or reach out to a current UofU student.

The first interviews for this cycle aren't until Mon (10.3) so your best bet may be to look through last year's forum or reach out to a current UofU student.
There was not much from last years forum and Blapo says that he's a D1 student there, so that is why I am reaching out to him.

Interview Invite #3, Yay!

Mail out date: 7/15
Supplemental: Mid August
Notification Date: 9/28
Residency: OR

Anyone been to the interview? How was it! Mine's on Friday..

I thought it was fun! 3 30 minutes, but they all flew by. My interviewers were all very laid back, everyone was very inviting and welcoming, and the school was beautiful. The questions were not out to get you - mostly basic stuff like 'what do you like to do, why Utah, tell me about an achievement'.. etc. All in all really a good day.

I thought it was fun! 3 30 minutes, but they all flew by. My interviewers were all very laid back, everyone was very inviting and welcoming, and the school was beautiful. The questions were not out to get you - mostly basic stuff like 'what do you like to do, why Utah, tell me about an achievement'.. etc. All in all really a good day.
Are they 1 on 1? I hope so! 30 minutes is a long time and I feel like that would be a great way for people to actually get to know us..my other two interviews have been MMI's.

I'll echo ptiskyq- they were very conversational and casual and as close to fun as an interview can get. It was three thirty minute one on one interviews but the time went quick, for the most part. You arrive with a group of 3 and cycle through interviewers together and then the next group shows up and does the same. The tour is a great way to see the amazing facility, and the lunch with the students is a good chance to learn more about their side of things. The financial aide presentation was pretty standard, nothing surprising in there. Overall it was a great day. It'll be easy to be yourself and let them get to know your personality. 2/3 of the interviewers had my file in front of them, and referenced it casually. My questions were almost all about me and what I like rather than my achievements, just ended up that way. They do have a list of questions they can ask if they need to rely on it. It's super low stress!

Reactions: 2 users