****The Official Western University Class of 2016 Acceptance Thread****

Hey I was wondering who gave you this information about the alternate list being 200 people? When I called and asked the same question they told me they couldn't give out that information.

Members don't see this ad.

As I have posted previously, I have called as well to ask and they mentioned that they do not give out that information. Not to say the poster is lying, but 200 on the waitlist seems pretty high, even for a newer institution with a larger class size.

Also, TireKicker mentioned how he was told that last year, all alternates were eventually accepted. I can't imagine them accepting 200 students but that certainly is relieving (if true)

TireKicker- who mentioned to you on the acceptance rate of the alternate if I may ask?

Hey I was wondering who gave you this information about the alternate list being 200 people? When I called and asked the same question they told me they couldn't give out that information.
It was me. Instead of calling the advisor directly, i called the admission's office. I think i may have talked to their assistant?? Because it seemed like advisors never gave out any answers.... Anyways, It is possible that the person I spoke to gave out an inaccurate info so don't buy it 100%. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Just wondering, did anyone receive an acceptance off the waitlist yet?

I have not heard anything.

They started accepting the February interviewees last week. Assuming they did not give out more interviews, alternates will start this week (Friday) at the earliest (doubtful) if not later.

I was put on the alternate list in January, and got the acceptance call last Friday. Didn't expect it at all. Especially since I didn't call them or write any sort of letter of interest. Funny how that works! :thumbup: good luck everybody!

I was put on the alternate list in January, and got the acceptance call last Friday. Didn't expect it at all. Especially since I didn't call them or write any sort of letter of interest. Funny how that works! :thumbup: good luck everybody!

I stand corrected - I thought February 9th was the first date people start getting alternate notices. So I guess that means alternate acceptances for February 9th people will come in about 2 weeks or so (if the time between notice and acceptance are around the same)

I guess we all just have to hold tight :xf:

As I have posted previously, I have called as well to ask and they mentioned that they do not give out that information. Not to say the poster is lying, but 200 on the waitlist seems pretty high, even for a newer institution with a larger class size.

Also, TireKicker mentioned how he was told that last year, all alternates were eventually accepted. I can't imagine them accepting 200 students but that certainly is relieving (if true)

TireKicker- who mentioned to you on the acceptance rate of the alternate if I may ask?

I think they do have about 200 people on the alternate list. However, like 150 of these people aren't even considering Western because they've been accepted elsewhere. You know how some schools say "Respond to this letter to hold your place on the alternate list". Western didn't do that; so now 200 kids have this letter sitting on their desk collecting desk, while they're planning their futures at some other school. Heh...just a thought.

I think they do have about 200 people on the alternate list. However, like 150 of these people aren't even considering Western because they've been accepted elsewhere. You know how some schools say "Respond to this letter to hold your place on the alternate list". Western didn't do that; so now 200 kids have this letter sitting on their desk collecting desk, while they're planning their futures at some other school. Heh...just a thought.

I'm a little confused. Please clarify - Did other people not get a "respond to this letter to hold your place on the alternate list" mail? I had to fill a "form" out and mail it back to the school.

Also, I guess what you're trying to say is that they mailed out 200 requesting alternate placement, not necessarily 200 responded with yes.

I'm a little confused. Please clarify - Did other people not get a "respond to this letter to hold your place on the alternate list" mail? I had to fill a "form" out and mail it back to the school.

Also, I guess what you're trying to say is that they mailed out 200 requesting alternate placement, not necessarily 200 responded with yes.

Wait a sec...I never filled out a form. My mom just called me and told me I was on the alternate list when it came in the mail. I got accepted last week, so.....perhaps it's not necessary, really. What the heck..

Hmm, odd. I guess they first just decided to put everyone on the alternate then realized later that the list got out of hand and decided to have people send in forms.

But as you said, heck, you got in, and that's all that matters :thumbup:

Hopefully, within the coming few weeks, I'll be hearing good news as well :xf:

It was a phone call, right?

Edit: I too was on the October 1st interview date. Wonder if we met, hmmm

I was thinking the other way around that 150 replied they wanted to stay of the list while the other 50 were going else where. I like your way of thinking better because I have a better chance of getting off the list and being accepted. Any how every time the phone rings my heart jumps because I'm hoping its a 909 number.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was thinking the other way around that 150 replied they wanted to stay of the list while the other 50 were going else where. I like your way of thinking better because I have a better chance of getting off the list and being accepted. Any how every time the phone rings my heart jumps because I'm hoping its a 909 number.

Why'd you have to remind us? I didn't even know that was the area code. Now you're going to make me hope it's 909 every time it vibrates :thumbdown:

:laugh:

The life of an SDNer

Did the alternate letter state how long we have till to respond to this letter?
I also got a letter from Western and I'm currently out of country.
I'm trying to figure out which letter I got-- for my neighbor couldn't figure out and she said the time was given as to when I should reply back.
I've already decided to attend another school, but just curious! :)

I don't have the letter with me, but I think that if the letter was from January, you did not have to respond. However, letters that were postmarked February 9th had a form that needed to be filled out and mailed back. If I recall correctly and from what uwkicker says, I think it was a week after the date of the letter (which was February 9th for me and many others)

For ppl who got accepted last Friday... (congrats!) How soon do you have to respond? Thanks!

For ppl who got accepted last Friday... (congrats!) How soon do you have to respond? Thanks!

She told me I'd be getting snail mail explaining the exact date. But she said "two weeks" and "$1,000"...perhaps two weeks from the date she called.

For people that have been accepted. Did they call you only on Friday sometime between 8-5 or was it outside of those times and on other days?

They called me last friday, around 2 pm Alaska time.

Hey Cedar, I think it was Jessica who told me about everyone getting off the wait list last year.

everyone got off the wait list last year? Whoa.. but i doubt all 200 people this year will get off.. *crossing fingers*

everyone got off the wait list last year? Whoa.. but i doubt all 200 people this year will get off.. *crossing fingers*
I think they meant they gave out ~200 alternative offers. Meaning it could be less than 200 since some could have denied the offer.. Iono.. Well... I think we had one more interview than last yr though.. (compared to what l read in last yr's forum) so we will just have to see... :/

Did anyone just get an email confirming their status as an alternate? I just did.

i did too! I hope they send out acceptances soon!! Good luck everyone!

Did anyone just get an email confirming their status as an alternate? I just did.

Ditto - I don't think it is a confirmation though as much as it is a, "Tell us if you are still interested", hence, the survey. That way, they can refine the alternate list to a smaller number and eliminate those who are on the waitlist but don't intend on attending.

As shinyMIRROR has pointed out, maybe we can expect acceptances rolling in soon, maybe even as early as this Friday!

:xf:

I just got one too. I agree with CedarZ4. I think they are consolidating the alternate list to people actually still interested in attending.
I believe they will be reviewing the alternate list tomorrow and making calls possibly tomorrow or Friday.

I also got the e-mail, I hope they are able to make the list a little bit smaller and hopefully get out acceptances soon :). Good luck everyone!

I got the email also, hopefully we all hear something soon. Good luck to everyone!

Has anyone heard anything after receiving the email to confirm you want to stay on the wait list?

No news on this end since that email. I wonder when we would hear from them.

Did anyone just get an email from Western that is on the wait list about tuition??

Yup.

Got me excited, too! It is good information to know though, regardless. I think this year it's actually cheaper than last year...? The e-mail said it was like $60,000 per year? If I recall, it was $68,000 last year. I could have made that number up though, so don't take my word for it.

It's good to know that there is some movement, though. Maybe tomorrow or Friday? :xf:

Edit: I think the $68 number I quoted was including equipment, so tuition appears to have been unchanged.

I got the same email.

I wander when the deposits are due for people that were granted an acceptance, unless that deadline had already passed. There could be potentially some movement around that date based on the responses from those candidates.

Maybe there's a deadline for the 2nd portion of the deposit? I guess that I'm not too familiar with that portion of the process.

I think the schools will be able to see who has put down more than one deposit in April. If someone is holding more than one place at a school, the schools are allowed to un-accept them and offer the spot to another student (I think they give them some kind of grace period, but I don't think it lasts very long). Hopefully we hear something soon!

The next deposit due is on April 14th, and is another $1000 on top of the first deposit. Hopefully this will solidify the class a little more! Best of luck to everyone :)

Does anyone know how full the class is? And if there is been any movement on the alternate list?

Last edited:
Trying to be patient while waiting for April 14th to come around... :p

Hoping for some movement then. Continue fighting!! :luck:

I just wanted to share that contrary to what was stated earlier, the 2nd deposit is April 15th, not the 14th. This should not change much, however, since I suspect acceptances are usually given out on Thursdays/Fridays anyway. Just wanted to clear that up.

Got the information via: http://wsprod.westernu.edu/policy/pp_policies_view.jsp?PID=1647

Good luck everyone :xf:
Hope we hear something by the 19th or 20th! :luck:

I got the phone call today at 4:30 PST!!!!!! I'm in! My interview was Feb. 4th and I was wait listed I think in early March. I've already sent my deposit to Tufts but now I'm having to decide what to do. We have a lot of family in Cali (and we're from Oregon) so that would be a huge plus. And I really liked Western when I was there and think I will do better on that academic program. I'm certainly leaning towards Western so I'll have to decide soon!

By the way, does anyone have recommendations for what areas are safe and family-friendly to live in? We're looking for a 3-bedroom apartment probably. Someone mentioned Ontario would be safer that Pamona...any thoughts?

I got the phone call today at 4:30 PST!!!!!! I'm in! My interview was Feb. 4th and I was wait listed I think in early March. I've already sent my deposit to Tufts but now I'm having to decide what to do. We have a lot of family in Cali (and we're from Oregon) so that would be a huge plus. And I really liked Western when I was there and think I will do better on that academic program. I'm certainly leaning towards Western so I'll have to decide soon!

Congrats!! That is awesome to hear tcn, good job! :thumbup::thumbup:

So maybe acceptances are going to come sooner than we expected (hopefully more tomorrow?)

Although, the recent acceptances have all been post-Dec interviews. Nothing on the pre, like myself.

Regardless, good luck making a decision!

How long do you have to respond to Western? If I recall correctly, it's something like 15 days right?

Also, not to sway you one way or another but a few +/-s that may help you make the decision easier. I personally loved Western. Fantastic faculty and really state-of-the-art facilities. Being in California is also a plus. On the other hand, Tufts is a more-established institution that is accredited. It probably has a "better name" and "prestige" because of this. I can't speak for the faculty or facility because I didn't have the opportunity to interview there, but that is something to keep in mind. Not to mention, I don't remember if Tufts is in Boston but I know if it's not, it's pretty close. So it's not like you are choosing MidWest vs. California. Good luck :thumbup:

Keep us updated.

First time I been in California was on my interview. However, from what I recall I think people mentioned that Pomona is not the best place to live. However, there are a few nearby places (I really can't tell you what they are off my top of my head, maybe a quick google search) that is more friendly and relatively cheap. So I know they are available. If I'm not mistaken, Ontario is pretty far? At least 30 minute drive. Not sure if you feel comfortable commuting 30minutes every day. I know I flew in from Ontario and my drive was 30+ minutes.

This may be another + for Tufts, since it is in Medford (not Boston, I just looked it up) and that is a pretty safe town.

First time I been in California was on my interview. However, from what I recall I think people mentioned that Pomona is not the best place to live. However, there are a few nearby places (I really can't tell you what they are off my top of my head, maybe a quick google search) that is more friendly and relatively cheap. If I'm not mistaken, Ontario is pretty far? At least 30 minute drive. Not sure if you feel comfortable commuting 30minutes every day. I know I flew in from Ontario and my drive was 30+ minutes.

This may be another + for Tufts, since it is in Medford (not Boston, I just looked it up) and that is a pretty safe town.

Please be adviced that Tufts Medical, Dental, Veterinary, and Nutrition campuses are located in Boston, whereas, Tufts undergrad campus is located in Medford. From my visit to Pomona, Ontario, and Loma Linda 2 months ago, I would say that Boston is a more vibrant city with a great public transit system than either of those three cities in my opinion.

Please be adviced that Tufts Medical, Dental, Veterinary, and Nutrition campuses are located in Boston, whereas, Tufts undergrad campus is located in Medford. From my visit to Pomona, Ontario, and Loma Linda 2 months ago, I would say that Boston is a more vibrant city with a great public transit system than either of those three cities in my opinion.

I stand corrected. Thank you for the clarification woolloo. I just did a quick Google search and saw Medford.

I would have to agree in terms of location wise, Boston (since that we clarified Tuft is located here and not Medford) is probably the best given the options. This makes sense since it is a pretty big and popular city. The "NYC of NY" and the "LA of CA" if you will. Although, location is not the only thing that needs to be considered. Prestige (especially if you plan on specializing) and curriculum are just as if not more important. Again, I can't comment on Tuft but it is something to keep in mind.

Since you are attending Tufts, maybe you can give some advice to TCN. May help him/her make his/her decision easier.

I stand corrected. Thank you for the clarification woolloo. [You're Welcome]...

I would have to agree in terms of location wise, Boston (since that we clarified Tuft is located here and not Medford) is probably the best given the options. This makes sense since it is a pretty big and popular city. The "NYC of NY" and the "LA of CA" if you will. Although, location is not the only thing that needs to be considered. Prestige (especially if you plan on specializing) and curriculum are just as if not more important. Again, I can't comment on Tuft but it is something to keep in mind... [No doubt about it, but Western seems to be a great school too.]

Since you are attending Tufts, maybe you can give some advice to TCN. May help him/her make his/her decision easier.

Sort of, but I also agree with drhygiene's advice for tcn79 on the 2016 ****The Official Tufts University Class of 2016 Acceptance Thread**** :

wow! that's such an incredible story...really puts into perspective the idea that you never know what may happen.

Just as an opinion b/c I got into Western and BU and chose Western I would say Pomona is a much nicer area to be with family. I noticed in your pre-dents profile that you have kids and I think Boston is a much harder city to raise children in. Pomona is a nice very quaint and safe area and Western is an amazing school! I know Tufts has an excellent curriculum but at the expense of distance from family plus all those flights and the hassle of moving so far away I would just stay close. Best of luck in your decision and hopefully I see you at Western next year! :)

Relocation is not that easy especially with a family, but it's ultimately up to tcn79 to choose a place that shall meet his needs.