THE Ohio State University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

somemeatgupta

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I searched through all the threads and couldnt find one about people admitted to THE ohio state university. i love the "The" they always emphasize when you talk to them.

Anyone else admitted and pretty sure they're going?

Pros for me are that its in an actual city
big on sports :thumbup:(my school had basically none:thumbdown:)
doesnt get horribly cold like illinois and more northern areas
pretty good reputation:cool:

i dont know much else, but im considering ditching other interviews since id prefer to be in a more metropolitan area than not.

Anyone heard anything about The Ohio State University?

also....apparently people have had some pretty gruesome experiences during their interviews:eek:, anyone else wanna share stories? i was really surprised, i had such a great time during my interview.

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats! I'm a first year and while it sucks at times, I know it will be worth it. People around here are RABID about sports - especially Ohio State football. And I know the weather could be worse - but this morning as I was scraping off my car (again!) I was swearing to myself that I'm going to go practice in South Carolina when I get out of here. :laugh:

My interview was actually fine...who were your interviewers, do you remember?

Yea im going to go from southern california, i dont know how much i can handle it but i mean, hey, if i dont end up in davis i dont think id rather go anywhere else, especially since i havent heard back from anyother places for interviews.

my interviewers were Dr. Erin Brannick and Dr. Ana Hill, one was older and one was pregnant. i could see how the older one could be mean but she was so nice and so interested in everything i had to say and everything i had done.

Hopefully TOSU :)laugh:) will have its moments

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay, we were discussing this in anatomy today and no one knew the answer:

why is it called THE Ohio State University and not 'just' Ohio State University?

Don't make fun of me, I honestly don't know and can't find the reason. :p

I am definitely attending The Ohio State University this fall. The decision was easy for me since I am in state. Also I really like their campus, the academic building is really nice.

And about THE Ohio State University, I found this online At this LINK

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Why are we called ""THE" Ohio State University"?
In 1986, a new University logo was introduced in the hopes of moving away from the "OSU" symbol, which had been used since 1977. The change from simply "OSU" was said to "reflect the national stature of the institution." University officials wanted the institution to be known as "The Ohio State University," again, since OSU could also mean Oregon State and Oklahoma State University.
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] However, the "The" was actually part of the state legislation when the university was renamed in 1878. The following excerpt is from the Board of Trustee minutes: .
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] "...the educational institution heretofore known as the 'Ohio Agricultural and Mechanical College,' shall be known and designated hereafter as 'The Ohio State University.'".
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Those who wanted the name change thought the original name was too narrow in scope, and that it was inadequate for the institution that was the only beneficiary of the land grant act. President Edward Orton was insistent that a new name would separate the institution from other colleges in Ohio. .
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Legend also has it that "The" was used to show the other colleges which institution was supposed to be the leader in the state - both in size and in financial support from the legislature. .

Thanks!!:D

The more you know....

Thanks!!:D

The more you know....

Your Welcome:thumbup:

:hijacked: Warning: a bit of a hijack here

Do any of you current Ohio State Students have any suggestions for off campus housing? My wife and I are dreading finding a good place to live in Columbus so and suggestions would be appreciated, PM with any info please.
Thanks very much.
Thread Hijack over.;)

Actually I believe the schools name was changed to The University of Florida @ Columbus, Ohio. Because after all UF owns OSU.

Actually I believe the schools name was changed to The University of Florida @ Columbus, Ohio. Because after all UF owns OSU.

Maybe that would have worked last year, but I recall this year beating UF in basketball, and UF losing their football bowl game to Michigan (ie the school that lost to Appalachian State, and us obviously). Next year will only be better for us - we have a great class returning, and a really good entering class.

Con: really annoying people who say THE Ohio State University like emphasizing THE really changes anything. =o)

Maybe that would have worked last year, but I recall this year beating UF in basketball, and UF losing their football bowl game to Michigan (ie the school that lost to Appalachian State, and us obviously). Next year will only be better for us - we have a great class returning, and a really good entering class.

Both our basketball teams are nothing to brag about this year but I do walk past two championship trophies every day that I believe we're taken in an alarming fashion from a scarlet and gray team. As for next year, after two championship busts in a row OSU would have to go undefeated for pollsters to even think about putting them back. Plus their is a guy name Timmy Tebow who may have some say over that =P. Btw just want to add, since messageboards are tough to get a persons actual tone of voice, this is just some friendly banter. OSU is a great school and a great campus.

Both our basketball teams are nothing to brag about this year but I do walk past two championship trophies every day that I believe we're taken in an alarming fashion from a scarlet and gray team. As for next year, after two championship busts in a row OSU would have to go undefeated for pollsters to even think about putting them back. Plus their is a guy name Timmy Tebow who may have some say over that =P. Btw just want to add, since messageboards are tough to get a persons actual tone of voice, this is just some friendly banter. OSU is a great school and a great campus.

No worries - I wasn't taking anything personally. We have certainly had a streak of 2nd places (2 football, 1 basketball, soccer - there are actually a couple of others too), but second in pretty much anything isn't too shabby ;).

As for next year - we will be playing USC away, so if we go undefeated (or at least beat them) people won't be able to criticize that much. This year was a home game pretty much national championship wise. About 3/4 of the stadium were LSU fans. We'll also see where Terrell Pryor ends up.

Con: really annoying people who say THE Ohio State University like emphasizing THE really changes anything. =o)

We are proud of are school - and for good reason. You may not like me very much Bobdog ;).

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know where THE OSU is at in the acceptance process? (Is there still hope for OOS people who were deferred after their interview!?)

Do any of you current Ohio State Students have any suggestions for off campus housing? My wife and I are dreading finding a good place to live in Columbus so and suggestions would be appreciated, PM with any info please.
Thanks very much.

Actually, I was wondering the same thing! :)

I'm not a good person to ask, as I live way out on the east side (hoping to move a little closer this summer). I really like our townhouse - it's big and affordable - but I wish I was a little closer to things.

I do, however, know of a VERY nice barn if you need one, WishingnHoping!

Does anyone know where THE OSU is at in the acceptance process? (Is there still hope for OOS people who were deferred after their interview!?)

They just finished interviews, so this is the time they will start formulating where everyone is in accordance to one another. I don't know how long that usually takes, but OSU is definitely in the home stretch of their admissions process.

Your Welcome:thumbup:

:hijacked: Warning: a bit of a hijack here

Thanks very much.
Thread Hijack over.;)

A lot of people in our class live in the Henderson/Bethel area (that is where I live) and I have really liked it so far. It is less than a 10 minute drive from the vet school and close to a lot of stores. It is also really nice to live next to other vet students. Also, it is far enough away from OSU to not be living in a loud area and there is enough parking, but it is close enough to take cabs to the bars in those areas (and downtown).

Some other good areas are the Hilliard and Dublin areas. All of the above areas have a lot of condos and apartments to choose from.

Thanks for the housing info. I thought about going to the Midwest Veterinary Conference this weekend, if I do I will take some time to drive around the areas you mentioned to see what they are like.:thumbup:

Thanks for the housing info. I thought about going to the Midwest Veterinary Conference this weekend, if I do I will take some time to drive around the areas you mentioned to see what they are like.:thumbup:

You should definitely go to Midwest. There will be vet students all over the place that you can get some really good advice from.

ri23 I think we would be fine, but I would have to do some eye rolling whenever I heard The OSU. Of course I could just start calling my undergrad The Mississippi State University. You know, to differentiate it from that other MSU (because it is sooo much better). =o) =o)

Just saying that I am soooo excited about THE OSU!! Wooohooo!

what are people going to do about living situations? im thinking i may go out in may or june to look at places, if anyone is interested in a roommate, let me know!!!

im thinking i may live around the grandview area.

not sure about my dog or not, i may leave him at home b/c hes never seen snow and i dont think he'll be very happy

ri23 I think we would be fine, but I would have to do some eye rolling whenever I heard The OSU. Of course I could just start calling my undergrad The Mississippi State University. You know, to differentiate it from that other MSU (because it is sooo much better). =o) =o)

Good to know, I usually get some eyerolls anyway - so it isn't like it would be anything new.

I'm not a good person to ask, as I live way out on the east side (hoping to move a little closer this summer). I really like our townhouse - it's big and affordable - but I wish I was a little closer to things.

I do, however, know of a VERY nice barn if you need one, WishingnHoping!

:D I know you!! I talked to you over on the COTH. I'm Born2Event over there.

That barn sounds WONDERFUL. I am so excited about OSU now! I'll send you another PM through COTH, but anyways, it's really nice that the barns around Columbus are affordable. I can definitely handle $400 a month (I'm paying $250 for one horse now, my parents are still paying $300 a month for another that I'm selling) since they will blanket for you, etc. My barn now does NOT blanket so I cannot clip him (ugh!). Much better than board around Tufts!!! I don't know if I could handle the $600+. :(

Anyways, back to your regularly scheduled programming now. :)

That's hilarious! I wondered if it could possibly be coincidence that there were two different eventers asking about vet school at Ohio State on two different internet forums that I (somewhat) frequent...but I didn't want to assume anything. :D

I deleted my previous post because I found out I couldn't read.

Ohio was my first interview, and I thought I completely bombed it. I had two older men and they just fired off question after question for an hour. In the first five minutes one interviewer said he didn't like my lack of large animal experience, which was discouraging. I prepared ahead of time with answers to questions previous interviewees had, and I think they asked me every question in the book! I was bummed out during the tour afterwards, so I wasn't really paying attention...but now I think it's where I'm actually heading to in the fall!

Ohio was my first interview, and I thought I completely bombed it. I had two older men and they just fired off question after question for an hour. In the first five minutes one interviewer said he didn't like my lack of large animal experience, which was discouraging. I prepared ahead of time with answers to questions previous interviewees had, and I think they asked me every question in the book! I was bummed out during the tour afterwards, so I wasn't really paying attention...but now I think it's where I'm actually heading to in the fall!

I felt pretty bummed after my interview also. One of my interviewers gave a really positive feel and the other pretty negative. Of course the negative outweighed the positive, after the interview I was thinking about what classes I could take in undergrad in the fall...:laugh:

Harrymonster do you remember the names of your interviewers? Haha I just wanted to see if we had the same ones (of course I cant remember them anymore but I figured they would come back to me if I heard/read their names!). Can't wait to meet you in the Fall!!

for people that are going to OSU next year, where is everyone coming from?

im coming from san diego, ca

I am coming from Southern Ohio, about 2hrs. from Columbus

I will most likely go to Ohio State for vet school, since it's my home state and all. Yeah, and it doesn't have a bad reputation, either.

:love:

I'm coming from just outside of Columbus, about 30 minutes away

I've been living in Columbus for 2 1/2 years now and will be going to THE Ohio State University in the fall...I'm doing my master's there now. I love football, I own way too many red and grey sweatshirts and you couldn't pay me to go anywhere else!

For those of you moving to c-bus...I also live in the Henderson/Bethel area...in between Upper Arlington and Dublin...very nice, not too expensive.

Go Bucks!!

New Jersey all the way haha... its only about a 8hr commute :)

And it's people like that that make THE OSU look bad.

*rolls eyes*

:sleep:

;)

Can't remember what thread it was in, but someone was mentioning a question when you had to explain a time when you had no integrity on OSU's supplemental. The one I'm looking at right now doesn't have such a question--it's only "tell us why we should accept you to OSU." Is there an additional supplemental that they send you? Or did they change it from last year??

Thanks everyone!

Can't remember what thread it was in, but someone was mentioning a question when you had to explain a time when you had no integrity on OSU's supplemental. The one I'm looking at right now doesn't have such a question--it's only "tell us why we should accept you to OSU." Is there an additional supplemental that they send you? Or did they change it from last year??

Thanks everyone!

Oh holy crap, you're lucky if that's all you have to do. THE OSU's supplemental had the most essays. Most annoying thing e.v.e.r! Dude, I think I ended up even writing about my cheating ex, and how I was a wonderful person for still living with him a year later. That's how many proby questions there were. I was so out of ideas and out of steam, I ended up writing whatever the hell came to my mind. Talk about how mortifying it was when it came up in my interview.

I took a peek at this year's supplemental just for kicks, and sure enough that's all it is. It has a form to fill out for the species that you are proficient in handling (takes the guesswork out of how to list them in the text box like we had to last year!) and then a box to answer a question that is basically "Why should we let you in the class?" That's a tough question in and of itself, though, especially without repeating stuff from your personal statement!