The Point is That Segregating Yourself Doesn't Help with Diversity

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The TX OMS

This is CardsFan's Mother
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
To the moderators: does this belong here or in the lounge?

mellow_yellow said:
To those white males who think its unfair to have Asian/Arab post:

Imagine yourself living in a country 30,000 miles away from your own culture. Also, imagine that native citizens of this country have historically been racist against whites (although now racism is not as prevalent). Would you like to know if there any other white males in that country who share your same experiences/beliefs/customs? Would you be offended if the natives say they would like to form their own group? For whites who have only lived in the US, these are difficult questions to answer.

First, this is silly b/c most of the minorities in dental school were born in American; erego, they are American. I'm American. We share the same customs. I am not talking about people who are not American citizens.

More importantly, the "rampant racism" that conventional wisdom claims exists in this country will not resolve if minorities and ethnic groups insist on segregating themselves.

Am I stupid? No. I realize the innocent nature of the posts in this forum. However, I know I am not alone in being irritated by them. I am not allowed to have a white male club, yet it's okay for every other minority, ethnic group, and sexual perversion to have a club.

If people want the plague of racism, which I believe does not believe exists in this country, to change they will have to change the mind of the racists. In this situation, the "racists" are white males. You want the white males to like you? Stop voluntarily segregating yourself, stop singling yourself out, and stop telling us we are nothing special while you, as the "outsider" are something special.

Are we really just all people or not?

Finally, the "problem" in this country is classism, not racism. I don't really think classism is a big deal, though.

Members don't see this ad.

It's obnoxious to constantly use the notion that white males have "historically" been racists against others when EVERY OTHER KIND OF PEOPLE have historically (and many to this day) been racist against others. Civil wars in Africa based on tribal affiliation, strifes in the Arab world over differences kind of Arab, conflicts in Eastern Asian islands over religion, etc. all exist without the help of the white male.

Enough of this "we're minorities so we have a right to represent out group" nonsense. White people will be minorities in this country within 100 years, and I wish I could be around to see what the excuse will be then.

At least everyones teeth are all the same color so we can't discriminate based on that. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
AhhPuller said:
It's obnoxious to constantly use the notion that white males have "historically" been racists against others when EVERY OTHER KIND OF PEOPLE have historically (and many to this day) been racist against others. Civil wars in Africa based on tribal affiliation, strifes in the Arab world over differences kind of Arab, conflicts in Eastern Asian islands over religion, etc. all exist without the help of the white male.

Enough of this "we're minorities so we have a right to represent out group" nonsense. White people will be minorities in this country within 100 years, and I wish I could be around to see what the excuse will be then.

At least everyones teeth are all the same color so we can't discriminate based on that. :thumbup:

Completely Agree. :thumbup:

The TX OMS said:
If people want the plague of racism, which I believe does not believe exists in this country, to change they will have to change the mind of the racists. In this situation, the "racists" are white males. You want the white males to like you? Stop voluntarily segregating yourself, stop singling yourself out, and stop telling us we are nothing special while you, as the "outsider" are something special.

I understand the point you are trying to make. However, if you haven't lived the life of a minority in the US, how can you to say that racism against minorities do not exist? Did you ever ask why so many males named Mohammad from Central and South Asia change their names to something more 'American'? Minorities are not segregating themselves; they simply feel more connected to people who go through the same experiences.

You may be right that most minorities in dental schools were born in America. But do the have the same customs as you? Most likely not. Traditions and beliefs do not have geographical boundaries. For example, a Vietnamese student who was raised in America by Vietnamese parents would mostly likely hold Vietnamese beliefs. So he/she might look for other Vietnamese students because they share the same views.

One last thing..........
Please don't dismiss anything you don't understand. In a perfect world, racism would not exist. Unfortunately, we live in an imperfect world where racism does exist. Just because you don't experience it or don't notice it does not mean no one is suffering from it.

mellow_yellow said:
I understand the point you are trying to make. However, if you haven't lived the life of a minority in the US, how can you to say that racism against minorities do not exist? Did you ever ask why so many males named Mohammad from Central and South Asia change their names to something more 'American'? Minorities are not segregating themselves; they simply feel more connected to people who go through the same experiences.

You may be right that most minorities in dental schools were born in America. But do the have the same customs as you? Most likely not. Traditions and beliefs do not have geographical boundaries. For example, a Vietnamese student who was raised in America by Vietnamese parents would mostly likely hold Vietnamese beliefs. So he/she might look for other Vietnamese students because they share the same views.

One last thing..........
Please don't dismiss anything you don't understand. In a perfect world, racism would not exist. Unfortunately, we live in an imperfect world where racism does exist. Just because you don't experience it or don't notice it does not mean no one is suffering from it.

He didn't say racism doesn't exist; he said the PLAGUE of racism does not exist, and I completely agree with that statement. Also, there is racism that goes the other way around like the Duke case demonstrates or just ask a white guy that grew up in a non-white neighborhood like myself. I think the point is that you can't end discrimination with MORE discrimination, ie, setting up exclusive clubs, affirmative action, etc. What's good for the goose may just be as good for the gander.

I have traveled to other countries for business, and for a white guy to try and move to most of these countries would result in death, whether he changed his name or not, what countries are more welcoming than the US, China? Iran? before complaining about US look where you come from and how open your doors are. and if it s*cks so bad here why are you here

bsmcga0 said:
I have traveled to other countries for business, and for a white guy to try and move to most of these countries would result in death, whether he changed his name or not, what countries are more welcoming than the US, China? Iran? before complaining about US look where you come from and how open your doors are. and if it s*cks so bad here why are you here

Okay, relax. Not all countries are like this. From direct knowledge, I can tell you tons of U.S. expats live in the middle east and are not getting killed. TONS more live in Europe.

If a country claims to be a democracy then you better be ready to accept other cultures. Otherwise, we're no different from some other rulers.... (won't say any names...)

America, as a country, is unique because it accepts other nationalities into its melting pot. I'm not saying America is not culturally distinct. Its true America is a culturally distinct entity.. BUT, as a country it was founded on the principle of welcoming other nationalities. Sure, some people go overboard in showing their cultural pride, I completely agree with that. But having a cultural student group on campus is NOT going overboard. I don't think you should generalize anyone who is proud of their cultural descent as all the same. I am a proud American and yet I am proud of my cultural descent at the same time. And I do recognize that some people go overboard in expressing their cultural descent. Lastly, I do recognize the privelage I have of being an American citizen. But rights are rights, and they should not be denied.

Accomplishments have no color. Only those who have nothing to do/talk about in life focus on race related issues - typically these people watch day-time TV! :D

To the OP, you need to go out more often to see how BIG classism effects the US more than racism.

dentwannabe said:
Okay, relax. Not all countries are like this. From direct knowledge, I can tell you tons of U.S. expats live in the middle east and are not getting killed. TONS more live in Europe.

Of course they could live in Europe; they'd blend right in. You should look into how much difficulty you'd encounter though trying to move into the EU or Switzerland. You'd have a really hard time meeting all the immigration requirements, and, even if you did, you'd have to wait a very LONG time to become a citizen. Where are all these white people living in the Middle East?!?! From what I understand from a lot of Christian Arab friends from the so-called moderate arab nations, it's pretty difficult being a Christian there so I can't imagine being a white Christian. You'd stick out pretty well.

damn chillllllllllllllllz!....guys...i went on this forum tryin to find some more useful info bout dental school and my peers cept finding another thread bout this racism [email protected] first opinion is to jus chilllllllllz!....if someone wants to post an Arab or Asian thread...jus let us post it mang...who da hell cares...maybe people who find these posts offensive is bc they dunt live on the west coast where the caucasians rn't the majority n they have some insecurities bout themselves...seriously man...y do people feel they have the obligation to interfere with how other races like to bond together...its only natural....if u want to post a white male thread...be my guest...i dunt have any objections...jus dunt be sarcastic bout it n tryin to stir up some kind of drama...literally guyz....CHILLLLLZZZ!!!!(cali motto)...the issue is not complicated at all...jus relax n be open minded...please...i love all races and proud that the US embraces all races...we're all gonna be colleagues...so jus relax foos...haha

AhhPuller said:
You'd stick out pretty well.

not just that but you'd be charged at least twice for anything you purchase. also, if you decide to kiss your wife in the streets, don't be surprised if young men start whistleing at you, and in saudi arabia, dont be surprised of you get arrested for "immoral behavior"....i can go on and on...

also, there are NO moderate arab countries. there are a few moderate arab cities (beirut, cairo, dubai, amman, marrakesh, casa-blanca, Tunis, kuwait city)...cities yes, countries? No...

Very interesting remarks from the future so-called DOCTORS!!!
I guess you all forgot that we share around 96% of our genes with the Chimps
So please everyone, drop your human, ego centric comments. "oooo my fur is whiter than yours,,, ooo my fur is darker than yours,, ooo I eat my banana sideways, so my custom is better than yours!!!!"

Members don't see this ad :)
headsup said:
So please everyone, drop your human, ego centric comments. "oooo my fur is whiter than yours,,, ooo my fur is darker than yours,, ooo I eat my banana sideways, so my custom is better than yours!!!!"
The whole point is that it would be a double standard to create a "I eat my banana sideways club" but call the "I eat my banana vertical club" the KKK.

headsup said:
The whole point is that it would be a double standard to create a "I eat my banana sideways club" but compare the "I eat my banana vertical club" to the KKK.

dentwannabe said:
I don't think you should generalize anyone who is proud of their cultural descent as all the same. I am a proud American and yet I am proud of my cultural descent at the same time. And I do recognize that some people go overboard in expressing their cultural descent.
How far back can one legitimantly go, both in terms of years and generations. I mean I'm American but my background is European. My family has been here long enough that I am not "proud" of my background. I don't know anything about the European countries I'm from. I do know about America. So at what point do you make the transition to being American? When can we drop the color, national, and/or continental affiliations?

Someone used the Vietnamese example. My wife's mother is 100% FOB Vietnamese. My wife is interested in Vietnam and her heritage, but my wife is American. Hell, my wife won't even let me buy a car that wasn't made in America.

dutchboy said:
The whole point is that it would be a double standard to create a "I eat my banana sideways club" but compare the "I eat my banana vertical club" to the KKK.
Excellent analogy. This is the point of my original posts.

Cold Front said:
To the OP, you need to go out more often to see how BIG classism effects the US more than racism.
I agree, classism effects the US more than racism. I think when most people complain about "racism" and how "racist" America is they would be more correct to say classist. Most Americans have moved beyond race to class. People are more segregated by class than race these days.

I'm not referring to socioeconomic class so much as just class in general, as in behavior. You act like a damn animal, you'll be shunned. You act polite and normal, you'll have more success. I don't think that fact is a problem, though, b/c it keeps most of acting right.

Americans of any race don't want to be around crude people.

Please, please, please somebody post something about how great it is to fight comformity.

fightingspirit said:
not just that but you'd be charged at least twice for anything you purchase. also, if you decide to kiss your wife in the streets, don't be surprised if young men start whistleing at you, and in saudi arabia, dont be surprised of you get arrested for "immoral behavior"....i can go on and on...

also, there are NO moderate arab countries. there are a few moderate arab cities (beirut, cairo, dubai, amman, marrakesh, casa-blanca, Tunis, kuwait city)...cities yes, countries? No...

I thought casablanca was the name of a european gigolo. Wasn't there a movie titled casablanca? Old B-W film or something.

nnjh said:
I thought casablanca was the name of a european gigolo. Wasn't there a movie titled casablanca? Old B-W film or something.
Are you a periodontist or a DMD?

AhhPuller said:
Of course they could live in Europe; they'd blend right in. You should look into how much difficulty you'd encounter though trying to move into the EU or Switzerland. You'd have a really hard time meeting all the immigration requirements, and, even if you did, you'd have to wait a very LONG time to become a citizen. Where are all these white people living in the Middle East?!?! From what I understand from a lot of Christian Arab friends from the so-called moderate arab nations, it's pretty difficult being a Christian there so I can't imagine being a white Christian. You'd stick out pretty well.

Actually americans in these countries usually live in segregated coumpound like communities. The governments of these countries need our skills and knowledge but don't want us to influence or socialize with their populations. Its also for our own protection because their is a real threat to the lives of the americans that live there.

QCkid said:
Actually americans in these countries usually live in segregated coumpound like communities. The governments of these countries need our skills and knowledge but don't want us to influence or socialize with their populations. Its also for our own protection because their is a real threat to the lives of the americans that live there.

so true

Hybridgen3 said:
damn chillllllllllllllllz!....guys...i went on this forum tryin to find some more useful info bout dental school and my peers cept finding another thread bout this racism [email protected] first opinion is to jus chilllllllllz!....if someone wants to post an Arab or Asian thread...jus let us post it mang...who da hell cares...maybe people who find these posts offensive is bc they dunt live on the west coast where the caucasians rn't the majority n they have some insecurities bout themselves...seriously man...y do people feel they have the obligation to interfere with how other races like to bond together...its only natural....if u want to post a white male thread...be my guest...i dunt have any objections...jus dunt be sarcastic bout it n tryin to stir up some kind of drama...literally guyz....CHILLLLLZZZ!!!!(cali motto)...colleagues...so jus relax foos...haha

What? :confused:

mellow_yellow said:

One last thing..........

that was probably the most worthless post i have ever seen in my life

first off, his point wasn't that racism doesn't exist. his point was that if the white kids banded together and made an all white club they would get ridiculed because of it and that's a double standard.

Second of all how do you know if he hasn't lived the life of a minority? Just because he's white? Well I'm extremely white and you know what? I live in an extremely black neighborhood in buffalo. When I first moved here and would go running the people sitting on their proches would yell "cracker" at me. I can give you more examples if you would like. You say don't dismiss anything you don't understand, maybe you shouldn't dismiss the fact that racism affects white people as well. Not every white person in this country is living the good life, there are more poor white people in this country than there are poor immigrants of your nationality.

Not to mention while your example of the vietnamese person is probably true for a lot of people. But isn't American culture the idea of assimilation and blending of cultures. The idea is that one can come here and contribute and share their culture. Segregating yourself will just feed the beast that is racism.

In case you read this and freak out thikning that I'm racist let me give you another example of what us honkeys are trying to say: My background is german/austrian and I have blonde hair and blue eyes, I am the only person in my class with both of those traits. If I started up a club for people like me because I feel misunderstood I guarantee you people would thikn it's racist or some kind of KKK thing (even if it was just to promote sunscreen awareness during the summer months). But all the minorities have their clubs so how is this fair?

mellow_yellow said:
One last thing..........

:thumbup:

AhhPuller said:
He didn't say racism doesn't exist; he said the PLAGUE of racism does not exist, and I completely agree with that statement. Also, there is racism that goes the other way around like the Duke case demonstrates or just ask a white guy that grew up in a non-white neighborhood like myself. I think the point is that you can't end discrimination with MORE discrimination, ie, setting up exclusive clubs, affirmative action, etc. What's good for the goose may just be as good for the gander.

you are right. it seems that both sides of the debate have valid points. but keep in mind two points here:

1-why is it that these "exclusive clubs" are viewed as reverse-dsicriminiation, as opposed to a safe haven for those who are socially disadvantaged due to a difference in physical attributes and names? besides, are these clubs exclusive? it's not like white frat boys are having this pressing need to join the asian student club at their college and are being denied by the asian members of the club. before one asks why those asians, arabs, and blacks aggregate, one may need to ask whether they are accepted by the white dudes.

2-i agree with those who are implying that the right to set up "exclusive clubs" is a special right. it is indeed special. it is a privilege in that sense. i argue here that this privilege has not been granted to minorities due to america's love affair with anything non-white and non-male. one can look at this privilege as an alleviation of the disadvantage that people find themselves in when they are not white and not male.

bsmcga0 said:

china is communist
iran is a theocracy...

U.S is a jeffersonian Democracy so you cannot compare these countries to the U.S. besides, the U.S is an immigrants nation from its birth. neither iran nor china are like that. the U.S is the first of its kind.

fightingspirit said:
china is communist
iran is a theocracy...

U.S is a jeffersonian Democracy so you cannot compare these countries to the U.S. besides, the U.S is an immigrants nation from its birth. neither iran nor china are like that. the U.S is the first of its kind.
What I don't think you realize you're implying is that you can't compare two things unless they're exactly the same......thereby making comparison pointless.

There's no reason in the world you can't compare America and other nations.

Racism isn't about the governments. is this thread about racism or different types of governments?
some mentioned Iran and china, what you need to know is that lots of people in these countries are oppressed by their governements, so if you can't get a visa to go to a country doesnt mean that the people are racist. lots of these people will surprise you of how welcoming they can be.
now have you ever traveled to Iran or China to see how the people react with you? if not do not just name these countries on a racist basis...

this thread reminds me of a conversation i was having with a disgruntled caucasian dental school reject who was blaming affirmative action for his rejection. I sighed and then asked him what percentage of ppl who are admitted to dental school are admitted by affirmative action. I then asked him if it was over or under three percent. He should know that he would have a better time getting admissions during the next round if he focuses on improving on specific things on his application and quit blaming minorities for his rejection.

Anyway, similar threads have been posted several times. It's only natural to cling with people who share a similar background as yourself. I don't see how creating a club to build solidarity among people with your background or general interest is detrimental to anyone. However, i do see how starting a club and entitle it "KKK" to build solidarity among the uneducated hillbillies is detrimental. I read many incorrect analogies on this thread and I just wanted to bring some clarification.

n2o* said:
However, i do see how starting a club and entitle it "KKK" to build solidarity among the uneducated hillbillies is detrimental. I read many incorrect analogies on this thread and I just wanted to bring some clarification.

Umm.. Thank you for your clarity, but no one said anything about a KKK club and we all agree that the KKK is a horrific, hateful organization.

As for your point about affirmative action, I agree that there are other factors that student should work on, but if you were that one student that is left out, you might feel differently. And if you dont get how creating clubs with certain nationalities or races hurts a nation that claims to accept all, then you just dont get it.

And if you don't get what's wrong with forming these elite groups, take a look at some of the posts against the formation of a white one. You'll see the problem.

AhhPuller said:
And if you don't get what's wrong with forming these elite groups, take a look at some of the posts against the formation of a white one. You'll see the problem.

reverse racism doesn't exist
I was an electrical engineer, we interviewed 10 guys for a position, the guy that was hired ranked 9th on the written test and 7th in the oral interview. hmm, maybe it was because he was black and the others were white. did this affect the company, well his part of the chip was not completed on time, which means no product to ship, no money, everybody in the group was fired.

another note, engineers work on salary, so when we spent 10 hours of our time talking to the applicants it was unpaid overtime, and then HR doesn't listen to our reccomendations or to the written test, it was a waste of our time and cost my friends their jobs(I left before this joker screwed up, funny thing is I was an intern and he was coming to me and asking questions because he didn't want to look stupid in front of the engineers) and yes, there were 3 minorities out of the 12 engineers in the group.

the funny thing about affirmative action is mostly rich black people get the benefits, because the are smarter than the poor black people, many stories to tell but don't have the energy
but of course, AA did not affect any of those engineers lives

S Files said:
so you consider the vietnamese thread "an elite group." somebody's getting a little carried away now. i think you're spending too much time staring at those threads.

Elite in the exclusive sense not the untoachable. You should reread some of the posts and you'll realize that some of us have said that it DOES exist, but it's NOT this huge thing that some people make it out to be.

bsmcga0 said:
reverse racism doesn't exist
I was an electrical engineer, we interviewed 10 guys for a position, the guy that was hired ranked 9th on the written test and 7th in the oral interview. hmm, maybe it was because he was black and the others were white. did this affect the company, well his part of the chip was not completed on time, which means no product to ship, no money, everybody in the group was fired.

another note, engineers work on salary, so when we spent 10 hours of our time talking to the applicants it was unpaid overtime, and then HR doesn't listen to our reccomendations or to the written test, it was a waste of our time and cost my friends their jobs(I left before this joker screwed up, funny thing is I was an intern and he was coming to me and asking questions because he didn't want to look stupid in front of the engineers) and yes, there were 3 minorities out of the 12 engineers in the group.

the funny thing about affirmative action is mostly rich black people get the benefits, because the are smarter than the poor black people, many stories to tell but don't have the energy
but of course, AA did not affect any of those engineers lives

:confused:

AhhPuller said:
ahhpuller...he was using sarcasm....well, now that i have responded i might as well put my sense in it. Yes, there is such a thing as reverse discrimination and I believe the effects of it have just started to be noticed. If you are the best man for the job then you should get the job...this doesn't happen on many occasions...example above. And if you don't think it's harder for a white male to get into college you better start talking to the admissions offices (they have formulas that tack on extra points for minorities..harvard study look it up)...if we are all equal then there shouldn't be any affirmative action (Bill cosby is right on this one), handing out of jobs, tacking on of extra points, accepting minorities into schools for the purpose of going back and being leaders in only their own minority communities furthering the Socioeconomic gap and diversity. I have many friends that are so called minorities and they don't have to have an excuse for not getting their way. Minority as a word should not be used to encompass a race or gender. May the best 'person' win. By the way..there has to be at least 1 minority that agrees that affirmative action is revese discrimination? and it is true, i can't have a white club w/o being called the KKK, even though they still have a calm NAACP with the brute-forced Black Panthers today....If you want something handed to you there are plenty people handing out free samples of cologne/perfume in the mall. However, I'm with darwin on this one folks. We should all be like calico cats..then it wouldn't matter...god bless

n2o* said:
this thread reminds me of a conversation i was having with a disgruntled caucasian dental school reject who was blaming affirmative action for his rejection. I sighed and then asked him what percentage of ppl who are admitted to dental school are admitted by affirmative action. I then asked him if it was over or under three percent. He should know that he would have a better time getting admissions during the next round if he focuses on improving on specific things on his application and quit blaming minorities for his rejection.

Anyway, similar threads have been posted several times. It's only natural to cling with people who share a similar background as yourself. I don't see how creating a club to build solidarity among people with your background or general interest is detrimental to anyone. However, i do see how starting a club and entitle it "KKK" to build solidarity among the uneducated hillbillies is detrimental. I read many incorrect analogies on this thread and I just wanted to bring some clarification.
Thanks for making my point, Einstein. You just said that it's okay for some races to form groups but not others. You are part of the double standard. If you actually want to end all the racism in America don't start by telling white people they can't join together.

I know you were talking about the KKK, but you didn't say it's okay for white people to join together other than the KKK. In fact, this post kind of implies that all white people who join up must be like the KKK. So, are all groups of black people like the Panthers? Are all arabs Al Qeida?

Look, you can't have it both ways. Just wanted to correct your train of though.

S Files said:
Bottom line is yes racism exists. Sooner people acknowledge it and try to do something about it, then it’ll get better. Also, minorities get carried away with the threads.

Look, my first thread was tongue in cheek. Still, I would counter your points with these:

1. Reverse descrimination does exist. Racism does exist. Neither are a huge deal in this country. More people are affected by judgements based on their appearance and behavior (rightly so, I might add).

2. Humans will always make judgements about people unlike themselves.

3. Any race themed thread on this board is ******ed.

4. White people get tired of being told we're racist. Their is huge double standard on this issue as evidenced by the fact that I can't have a white boy dental club and the TSA isn't allowed to stop every arab male getting on an airplane.

berryfremont said:
ahhpuller...he was using sarcasm....well, now that i have responded i might as well put my sense in it. Yes, there is such a thing as reverse discrimination and I believe the effects of it have just started to be noticed. If you are the best man for the job then you should get the job...this doesn't happen on many occasions...example above. And if you don't think it's harder for a white male to get into college you better start talking to the admissions offices (they have formulas that tack on extra points for minorities..harvard study look it up)...if we are all equal then there shouldn't be any affirmative action (Bill cosby is right on this one), handing out of jobs, tacking on of extra points, accepting minorities into schools for the purpose of going back and being leaders in only their own minority communities furthering the Socioeconomic gap and diversity. I have many friends that are so called minorities and they don't have to have an excuse for not getting their way. Minority as a word should not be used to encompass a race or gender. May the best 'person' win. By the way..there has to be at least 1 minority that agrees that affirmative action is revese discrimination? and it is true, i can't have a white club w/o being called the KKK, even though they still have a calm NAACP with the brute-forced Black Panthers today....If you want something handed to you there are plenty people handing out free samples of cologne/perfume in the mall. However, I'm with darwin on this one folks. We should all be like calico cats..then it wouldn't matter...god bless

Exactly. Great post. BTW, thank god Bill Cosby is speaking out.

The TX OMS said:
4. White people get tired of being told we're racist. Their is huge double standard on this issue as evidenced by the fact that I can't have a white boy dental club and the TSA isn't allowed to stop every arab male getting on an airplane.

Word. :thumbup: And that we're somehow responsible for the world's problems. I like the European model for the most part. Doesn't really matter what your color is or what country you're from; just work hard, learn the language and culture, pay your taxes, be nice to cats, and you'll blend in with the locals and have a great time. On the other hand, you don't work, don't learn the language, disrespect the culture, and/or eat cats, you'll quickly learn you won't make many friends.

bsmcga0 said:
what countries are more welcoming than the US, China? Iran?

Actually, foreigners, even Americans, are treated with great respect in Iran. The people there want to dispell any stereotypes created about them in the West. Believe it or not, saying you come from the US, Canada, or Europe will get you great service. Iran isn't all anti-US rallies and such. In fact, a vast majority of the popluation is young (something like 70% under 30) and have a desire to live like people do in the west...whether that's right or wrong, I'm not judging.

And China is not too bad either. Lots of white Americans visit China every single day without any problem.

AhhPuller said:
and/or eat cats, you'll quickly learn you won't make many friends.

and in what countries do they do that ? :rolleyes:

Audio said:
Lots of white Americans visit China every single day without any problem.
......sure...why not? the chinese would be more than happy to suck up every dollar out of every american pocket. you get a nice chinese lady acting all passive, sassy, and cute to sell you something or some meal or some massage that is mediocre (like most of china's products) and than baaaaaaam....you're overcharged like crazy.... :laugh: :laugh:

audio,

i dont think people are talking about "visiting".....i got the impression that it's about whites immigrating or living for prolonged periods in countries like iran and china....for the purpose of comparing the experience of immigrants in america to that of immigrants in china or iran.

Audio said:
In fact, a vast majority of the popluation is young (something like 70% under 30) and have a desire to live like people do in the west..

i agree, and i would also say that this seems to be the case with arabs too, in terms of percentage of young and western aspirations. besides, most arab youth in arab countries are dying to come to america, they wanna live like americans and even look like americans, yet they hate america. bizarre mix of jealousy, envy, hate, insecurity and low self-esteem.

fightingspirit said:
i agree, and i would also say that this seems to be the case with arabs too, in terms of percentage of young and western aspirations. besides, most arab youth in arab countries are dying to come to america, they wanna live like americans and even look like americans, yet they hate america. bizarre mix of jealousy, envy, hate, insecurity and low self-esteem.

wouldn't say they hate america as much as they hate american policies.

its best to stop making generalizations, none of us are social scientists who can back up our claims with facts. if you don't like minority groups... stop whining about and get back to your life. cuz its a fact of life that won't go away. :thumbup:

dentwannabe said:
wouldn't say they hate america as much as they hate american policies.

its best to stop making generalizations, none of us are social scientists who can back up our claims with facts. if you don't like minority groups... stop whining about and get back to your life. cuz its a fact of life that won't go away. :thumbup:

lol...

1-i am not whining
2-i am a minority (so stop assuming ;) )
3-i make generalizations and a generalization is what it is in a public forum... :)

S Files said:
awww...poor white males - jeez you guys have such a tough time finding something to be upset about. i wanna be repressed and yes i'm gonna find something to be mad about :)
having said this, i noticed a new race thread on the pre-dent forum and yes it's getting even more annoying.
You could replace "poor white males" with just about any minority and your post would still be valid. If you want to be treated the same and as an equal stop artificially segregating yourself. It's a little stupid to say, "I want equal rights" and then say, "I deserve special treatment b/c I'm...".

There are plenty of white people who don't succeed in life. Being white doesn't guarantee you anything in this country. White people who think being white guarantees them something are in the Klan. Perhaps minorities who think their minority status should give them special privelages should be viewed as similar to Klan members.