The Post Interview Freak Out Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nervoushabits

Pharming: it's a way of life.
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had my first interview last week. Needless to say, I absolutely loved it. I loved the facility. I loved the city. I loved the charm. I loved the people. I loved the atmosphere. But did they love me? I walked out of my interview feeling very confident and like I had just talked to people I have worked with for years. There was one point where I almost thought I did work there because of how relaxed and at ease I was with every single person that I met! Their current residents were so sweet and kind, and I honestly could see myself becoming really great friends with them. The residency coordinator was so much fun and lighthearted that I couldn't help but smile all the time! It had to be a perfect match, right? RIGHT?

But upon returning to the hotel, I started to think….what if I was too relaxed (if that is even possible)? What if they thought I was a really big goober and started to make fun of me once I left? What if I sucked so bad that they just took pity upon me? I keep replaying every aspect of my interview on loop in my head, analyzing every last detail of the interview and kicking myself when I accidentally started talking at the same time as the person I was interviewing with, when I came up with some lame answer to these really unique interview questions, or the really crappy joke I gave when we were eating lunch. (Note to self: I should probably avoid telling all forms of jokes in the future….)

And then I get to my presentation. My presentation. The presentation that I worked so freaking hard on because I WANT THIS. I want this more than anything. I'm passionate and hardworking, two things I think make up for the fact that I don't have much inpatient experience. I highlighted my strengths, I thought about every detail. I impressed, had heads nodding, a few "exactly!"s and "yes!"s. This part of my interview…this part right here….makes me feel like less of a goober and more like the practitioner I hope they could see I am.

So I wanted to start a residency post-interview freakout thread so everyone going through this process knows they aren't alone. The wait until match day is going to be a long, stressful one, and from what I understand, you will analyze everything just as I have a million times in the last few days. Feel free to share your post-interview freak outs too. It's nice to get things off your chest.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Don't show too much interest or else they may not text you back.

Seriously though, there's no reason to freak out about something as silly as this. In fact, how would the program director think of you overreacting over something like this? They may question your ability to adapt and bounce back from tough situations. And those situations will inevitably happen during residency. I also recommend you to focus beyond personalities and charm of the people you meet during your interview. This is important but what is most important are the program characteristics that will help you develop into a well rounded clinician and meet your professional goals. Good luck.

Overreacting? I was just expressing my thought process after my interview. I'm completely okay with things now. Actually, I'm more concerned with my other interviews coming up this week. The reason for posting this was because I didn't believe all of my friends who are going through the application process themselves. Now I do. There's always going to be a lingering self doubt after an interview, even if its for a job, and essentially, I was expressing my fears as a way to connect with others on a forum. It was honestly supposed to be somewhat comical, which again, I should probably stop trying to be funny as it's not working out well for me. As for focusing on more than the personalities….why would I have applied to any of these programs if I didn't feel confident in their skills to provide me with the postgraduate training that I'm looking for? Just my thoughts. Maybe I'm a little different than others applying for second year residencies.

Members don't see this ad :)
You have a way with words nervoushabits, I almost felt like I was there with you during your interview haha.
I'm sure you did fine. I can only HOPE to receive nods of affirmation. That's always a good sign!

Thank you, PharmBeanz. I've always been told that I have the ability to express myself well with written works. I'm glad that you could appreciate it, haha!

I'm sure you'll get a nod of affirmation here and there. I have a feeling my next interview, tomorrow actually, will be structured a lot different than the one I had last week. I think it'll be good. Interesting. Definitely a new adventure.

Just stay calm. It will work out how it's suppose to.

Don't overthink. Sounds like you did your best that's what matters