“The Psychopathic Problem of the White Mind”

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wamcp

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

The Yale School of Medicine said the tone and content of a lecture by Dr. Aruna Khilanani, who has a private practice in New York, were “antithetical to the values of the school.”

Yale University has restricted access to an online video of a talk given by Dr. Aruna Khilanani, in which she said that talking directly to white people about race was a “waste of our breath.”

A psychiatrist said in a lecture at Yale University’s School of Medicine that she had fantasies of shooting white people, prompting the university to later restrict online access to her expletive-filled talk, which it said was “antithetical to the values of the school.”
The talk, titled “The Psychopathic Problem of the White Mind,” had been presented by the School of Medicine’s Child Study Center as part of Grand Rounds, a weekly forum for faculty and staff members and others affiliated with Yale to learn about various aspects of mental health.
In the online lecture, on April 6, the psychiatrist, Dr. Aruna Khilanani, who has a private practice in New York and is not affiliated with Yale, described a “psychological dynamic that is on PTSD repeat,” in which people of color patiently explain racism to white people, who deny their attacks. When people of color then become angry, white people use that anger as “confirmation that we’re crazy or have emotional problems,” she said.
She recalled a white therapist telling her in psychoanalysis that she was “psychotic” whenever she expressed anger at racism, and said she had spent “years unpacking her racism to her,” even though she was the one being charged for the sessions.
“This is the cost of talking to white people at all — the cost of your own life, as they suck you dry,” Dr. Khilanani said in the lecture, which drew widespread attention after Bari Weiss, a former writer and editor for the opinion department of The New York Times, posted an audio recording of it on Substack on Friday. “There are no good apples out there. White people make my blood boil.”
Dr. Khilanani added that around five years ago, “I took some actions.”
“I systematically white-ghosted most of my white friends, and I got rid of the couple white BIPOCs that snuck in my crew, too,” she said, using an acronym for Black and Indigenous people and people of color.

“I had fantasies of unloading a revolver into the head of any white person that got in my way, burying their body and wiping my bloody hands as I walked away relatively guiltless with a bounce in my step, like I did the world a favor,” she said, adding an expletive.

Later in the lecture, Dr. Khilanani, who said she is of Indian descent, described the futility of trying to talk directly to white people about race, calling it a “waste of our breath.”
“We are asking a demented, violent predator who thinks that they are a saint or a superhero to accept responsibility,” she said. “It ain’t going to happen. They have five holes in their brain.”

Dr. Khilanani, a forensic psychiatrist and psychoanalyst, said in an email on Saturday that her words had been taken out of context to “control the narrative.” She said her lecture had “used provocation as a tool for real engagement.”
“Too much of the discourse on race is a dry, bland regurgitation of new vocabulary words with no work in the unconscious,” she said. “And, if you want to hit the unconscious, you will have to feel real negative feelings.”
She added: “My speaking metaphorically about my own anger was a method for people to reflect on negative feelings. To normalize negative feelings. Because if you don’t, it will turn into a violent action.”
Dr. Khilanani noted that her lecture had initially been well received. After she gave it, several attendees praised her comments on the online feed.

Members don't see this ad.

The Yale School of Medicine said the tone and content of a lecture by Dr. Aruna Khilanani, who has a private practice in New York, were “antithetical to the values of the school.”

Yale University has restricted access to an online video of a talk given by Dr. Aruna Khilanani, in which she said that talking directly to white people about race was a “waste of our breath.”

A psychiatrist said in a lecture at Yale University’s School of Medicine that she had fantasies of shooting white people, prompting the university to later restrict online access to her expletive-filled talk, which it said was “antithetical to the values of the school.”
The talk, titled “The Psychopathic Problem of the White Mind,” had been presented by the School of Medicine’s Child Study Center as part of Grand Rounds, a weekly forum for faculty and staff members and others affiliated with Yale to learn about various aspects of mental health.
In the online lecture, on April 6, the psychiatrist, Dr. Aruna Khilanani, who has a private practice in New York and is not affiliated with Yale, described a “psychological dynamic that is on PTSD repeat,” in which people of color patiently explain racism to white people, who deny their attacks. When people of color then become angry, white people use that anger as “confirmation that we’re crazy or have emotional problems,” she said.
She recalled a white therapist telling her in psychoanalysis that she was “psychotic” whenever she expressed anger at racism, and said she had spent “years unpacking her racism to her,” even though she was the one being charged for the sessions.
“This is the cost of talking to white people at all — the cost of your own life, as they suck you dry,” Dr. Khilanani said in the lecture, which drew widespread attention after Bari Weiss, a former writer and editor for the opinion department of The New York Times, posted an audio recording of it on Substack on Friday. “There are no good apples out there. White people make my blood boil.”
“I systematically white-ghosted most of my white friends, and I got rid of the couple white BIPOCs that snuck in my crew, too,” she said, using an acronym for Black and Indigenous people and people of color.

“I had fantasies of unloading a revolver into the head of any white person that got in my way, burying their body and wiping my bloody hands as I walked away relatively guiltless with a bounce in my step, like I did the world a favor,” she said, adding an expletive.

Later in the lecture, Dr. Khilanani, who said she is of Indian descent, described the futility of trying to talk directly to white people about race, calling it a “waste of our breath.”
“We are asking a demented, violent predator who thinks that they are a saint or a superhero to accept responsibility,” she said. “It ain’t going to happen. They have five holes in their brain.”

Dr. Khilanani, a forensic psychiatrist and psychoanalyst, said in an email on Saturday that her words had been taken out of context to “control the narrative.” She said her lecture had “used provocation as a tool for real engagement.”
“Too much of the discourse on race is a dry, bland regurgitation of new vocabulary words with no work in the unconscious,” she said. “And, if you want to hit the unconscious, you will have to feel real negative feelings.”
She added: “My speaking metaphorically about my own anger was a method for people to reflect on negative feelings. To normalize negative feelings. Because if you don’t, it will turn into a violent action.”
Dr. Khilanani noted that her lecture had initially been well received. After she gave it, several attendees praised her comments on the online feed.
I don't know, I was reading it and sort of wondering what's wrong with this lady, but then when she talks about the unconscious I sort of get it. A lot of her points make sense as far as how victims of racism might feel, and honestly I probably wasn't understanding how awful it is until she made the comment about shooting people and feeling great about it, and then it kinda clicked that in saying that she was making me feel like a victim of racism. So maybe she achieved her supposed goal of reaching my unconscious and my feelings? Unless she really has such vitriol in her heart. But then again, if she really does, she has still made her point about the existence of racism.

Normalize negative feelings? Why are conservatives cancelled then on so many media platforms?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe as a whole white people are so disconnected from the experience of some minorities that they really hardly can stand to be friends with any of us.

I grew up really poor with a lot of other bad experiences and it took a really long time for me to be able to have common ground and relate to people who had never experienced similar trauma. I almost universally dismissed them for being too different from me and unable to relate. It took a while to overcome that prejudice to any real degree.

I don't know how appropriate some of these comments are for a lecture to med students though. But some of it is out of context. I'd like to see (and I won't take time to listen, I didn't listen to lectures in med school not getting a new learning style now) the rest of it before making a final judgment.

Normalize negative feelings? Why are conservatives cancelled then on so many media platforms?
Because there is interest in normalizing the experiences of minorities that have experienced oppression, not in those of the people canceled. Canceling is a form of consumer choice partly inspired by the mob. I would like the mob to be more tolerant of other viewpoints because that's traditionally a liberal value and one held to be important for a free and integrated diverse society, but they cancel what they want to cancel.

Because there is interest in normalizing the experiences of minorities that have experienced oppression, not in those of the people canceled. Canceling is a form of consumer choice partly inspired by the mob. I would like the mob to be more tolerant of other viewpoints because that's traditionally a liberal value and one held to be important for a free and integrated diverse society, but they cancel what they want to cancel.
Interestingly in her interview (linked in the other thread on this), she actually said she liked conservatives more who spoke in open racist terms. She specifically mentioned Ann Coulter. She said she appreciate the honesty. She seemed to suggest the racism was the same across white people, but suppressed in some who are consumed with guilt (which she called useless). She preferred the ones with less guilt who were open with racism (which seems to make psychopathy not a problem?). It's hard for me to discern what if anything she wants.

I am interested in all viewpoints. Not only specific people

Reactions: 1 users
Interestingly in her interview (linked in the other thread on this), she actually said she liked conservatives more who spoke in open racist terms. She specifically mentioned Ann Coulter. She said she appreciate the honesty. She seemed to suggest the racism was the same across white people, but suppressed in some who are consumed with guilt (which she called useless). She preferred the ones with less guilt who were open with racism (which seems to make psychopathy not a problem?). It's hard for me to discern what if anything she wants.
Show me where Ann speaks in openly racist terms. I'd like to see that. Liberals at Berkeley protested to prevent people from seeing her speech and got Milo y. speech completely cancelled. That's the way to encourage open and free speech?

Show me where Ann speaks in openly racist terms. I'd like to see that.
Are you serious? I get that there's reasonable debate about having her speak or having this woman from Yale speak, but it's hard to have a conversation without agreeing on the basic fact that Ann Coulter has made a name for herself by purposefully making bigoted remarks on the basis of race, religion, sexual orientation, etc. I don't think Ann even tries to hide it.

Reactions: 7 users
Show me where Ann speaks in openly racist terms. I'd like to see that. Liberals at Berkeley protested to prevent people from seeing her speech and got Milo y. speech completely cancelled. That's the way to encourage open and free speech?
But what does this lady's philosophy have to do with cancel culture specifically? I don't see the connection. She sees Ann Coulter as "refreshingly honest" let's say and then some on the left want to cancel Ann. Why are you assuming the people behind Ann 's canceling hold the views of this lady or vice versa? Has this lady called for Ann's cancelation or other cancelations besides her unfriending people?

Wtf is a "white BIPOC?" Google gives me nada.

While I understand than one can be a mix of white, person of color, or indigenous, I don't really understand her usage here.

While I understand than one can be a mix of white, person of color, or indigenous, I don't really understand her usage here.
In her interview she later described it as a POC who agrees with “white” ideology or is “internally white”. Lots of hypocrisy throughout her interview if you read the whole thing.

• Wow
Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
She sounds like a fun, pleasant person.

This psychiatrist is no different than a neo nazi. She is a full blown racist. She delivered hate speech and continues to defend her comments on Tiktok....She needs her license and ability to practice stripped. And Yale needs a thorough investigation as to why they permitted hate speech at a grand rounds...

• Love
Reactions: 11 users

This psychiatrist is no different than a neo nazi. She is a full blown racist. She delivered hate speech and continues to defend her comments on Tiktok....She needs her license and ability to practice stripped. And Yale needs a thorough investigation as to why they permitted hate speech at a grand rounds...
She and Ben Shapiro should get married and have insufferable babies together.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
But what does this lady's philosophy have to do with cancel culture specifically? I don't see the connection. She sees Ann Coulter as "refreshingly honest" let's say and then some on the left want to cancel Ann. Why are you assuming the people behind Ann 's canceling hold the views of this lady or vice versa? Has this lady called for Ann's cancelation or other cancelations besides her unfriending people?
The point is that this psychiatrist wants free expression of speech . But not everyone gets that. Including Ann and Milo.

Are you serious? I get that there's reasonable debate about having her speak or having this woman from Yale speak, but it's hard to have a conversation without agreeing on the basic fact that Ann Coulter has made a name for herself by purposefully making bigoted remarks on the basis of race, religion, sexual orientation, etc. I don't think Ann even tries to hide it.
Please post some for me. Educate me.

I would likely be a white BIPOC in her view, because I’m in favor of egalitarianism, against monetary reparations, and not a proponent of “anti-racism” and CRT.

Reactions: 3 users
I can't really comment on the substance of the speech since I didn't hear it, but I will say...the firestorm around this could not possibly help her ability to testify in court about forensic cases.

Reactions: 5 users
It doesn’t matter whether she’s right or wrong, what matters is she needs professional help. She’s a physician and a forensic psychiatrist, she can’t make public statements like saying she thinks about killing white people, like, you just don’t do that. She has lost all credibility and any unbiased ‘expertise’ for any future work in the NYS court system, her future patients will think she is racist (which she is, she literally says she hates all white people and calls for violence against all and any white skin colored people, as per her Tik Toks), and her name is tarnished forever as someone who dreams of destroying America since white people are in it. That’s not very professional for a doctor, especially one with her training.

Even if she doesn’t have her license suspended, which she should, she can never practice medicine morally or in good faith again, who is going to hire her? And if she continues to work only for herself, how can she legally prescribe medication or provide therapy if she blatantly admits to hating a skin color? She is not even apologetic about it. I don’t feel sorry for her, because she brought this onto herself. I do hope, however, she seeks the urgent mental professional help she needs. She also needs to be reminded that she is NOT longer a professional of any respected discipline, because being an open racist and trying to indoctrinate impressionable medical students and the general public on hating a skin color, is not professional, it’s a crime against humanity. There’s more to all of us than our skin colors, we’re human beings who hurt, feel, love, thrive in various ways, and “all white people” do not deserve to be killed—not by anyone, and most definitely not by her.

• Love
Reactions: 12 users
Please post some for me. Educate me.
I don't get your angle as Ann Coulter is basically known because she says bigoted things, and it's very easy to find quotes from her. So either you're actually uninformed about her or you're going to try to explain away each and every thing she's said as somehow not racist.

So here's the first link of my Google search: Ann Coulter goes on Twitter tirade after report detailing racism promoted by ICE official
I'm not planning to engage in some long back-and-forth on this though, so if you want more racism from her you'll have to Google it yourself.

Reactions: 4 users
The title should read:

The Psychopathic Problem of Dr. Aruna Khilanani​

I don't get your angle as Ann Coulter is basically known because she says bigoted things, and it's very easy to find quotes from her. So either you're actually uninformed about her or you're going to try to explain away each and every thing she's said as somehow not racist.

So here's the first link of my Google search: Ann Coulter goes on Twitter tirade after report detailing racism promoted by ICE official
I'm not planning to engage in some long back-and-forth on this though, so if you want more racism from her you'll have to Google it yourself.
Thanks for this . We will have to agree to disagree as I don't see the issue with what she writes.

• Wow
Uhhh.

It’s worth noting that the psychiatrist HERSELF says that a former analyst of hers told her that she appeared to be “psychotic”, i.e. experiencing PSYCHOSIS, when expressing to this former therapist the hostility she has towards white people.

I do not think this is some grand pre-planned inception-level, 200 IQ, big brain, power level over 9000 kind of plan that was cooked up well-ahead of time in order to teach us all something very important via clever provocations intended to awaken us from our naive unconscious slumbers so that it might be revealed to us the truth about the depravity of our own original sin—to be born white, to be without that sacred molecule known as melanin, that which if it were had in greater abundance that it would bless upon those who lack it the humanity missing and therefore cure them from being the psychopathic animals that they are by virtue of lacking this most blessed pigmentation—but alas, those without this divine substance cannot be reasoned with and instead may need their brains blown out.

Y’all are in here debating this as if this presentation of hers was some kind of sophisticated work of art that holds some sort of deep underlying meaning that had to be calculated precisely beforehand. Sure it was.

Being in this thread is like being back in AP high school English class, watching y’all attempt a rhetorical analysis on this genuinely hateful, psychopathic, woke poison. My high school English teacher was convinced that the author always intentionally did every little thing that was in the book, elevating the author to super human levels and interpreting the author’s weaknesses in writing as some sort of hidden engrained secret coding. In a way it is, it just isn’t done consciously. Wherever the author makes mistakes or deviates from conscious intent, there the unconscious will find its expression.

I think the massive credit some have given this psychiatrist is a result of genuinely wanting to believe that it’s not possible for this person to be in her position, with her training, and to perhaps ego-syntonically resonate with these expressed ideas. Also, the person’s projections are so extreme in the presentation, to seemingly paranoid psychotic proportions, that she herself is now retroactively trying to make some psychoanalytic (non)sense out of what broke loose from her control during that grand rounds, using the fancy words and concepts that she has learned in her many years of education. She will also attempt to wield every melanin molecule and X chromosome to her advantage against those who might come after her in this current cancel culture.

Let’s try to be clear and honest here. This person was most likely on a power trip, had the intoxicating attention of the prestigious audience, perceived an allegiance to an extreme that even the woke dystopia couldn’t contain, and assumed that surely others would wholeheartedly understand and believe the same ideas and come to similar conclusions as she had. At no point during the presentation does the psychiatrist stop to clarify, or break any apparent character, or make clear that there is hyperbole being utilized to make a point that is not congruent with their actual held values or beliefs. I mean, look at the title for God’s sake. It was bat**** crazy before the talk even began. This person does not behave as if it was some highfalutin attempt at a psychoanalytic exercise. Listen to the talk. This person was in the zone. They were feeling good about it as it was happening. Remember the German dude with the mustache from World War 2?

Yale was ashamed of this grand rounds presentation and hid it from the public afterwards. It was only when this person demanded and complained on their TikTok account (wtf) that this was being withheld from the public, and after they claimed something about being oppressed by the institution, that Yale was finally like “alright lady, your funeral” and then said to the public “we disavow this lady and the content of her presentation” before releasing it.

Who in their right mind would think this was a good, or even appropriate, grandrounds presentation to give to a Child Studies department at a university?! Furthermore, who the heck thinks the public would have anymore tolerance for this psychopathic woke slop than one of the most tolerant woke institutions who already tried to hide it due to its hate-filled nature. Not even the most articulate post-modernists can spin this one. Side note, this person’s MA is in Critical Theory, so expect a lot of post-modernistic attempts by them to spin and bend reality. This is why we don’t freaking teach the art of psychotherapy/analysis to god damned psychopaths folks, because they end up super powerful, slippery, and can wreak havoc on society. Her poor patients, in general, but especially the ones she hates. Christ.

It can be inferred that this person lacks Theory of Mind to an extraordinary degree. Maybe it was transient, maybe it’s select, maybe it’s pervasive. Either way, at the time of this presentation, their judgement was WAY off. The thought form is disjointed and bizarre at times, seemingly paranoid and hostile as a consequence. Getting some major Dark Triad vibes from this. Also, looking at their TikTok and some of their online photos gives me feelings of concern. They look tired, and the vacancy in those eyes, while not objectively verifiable, is familiar. I would like to believe that this person was different (healthier) earlier in their career, and I hope things rapidly get better for them.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 21 users
I read the interview and I'm going to listen to the full talk just for giggles at some point (can I demand my 1 hour of CME from Yale?), but I will say that the transcript of her interview was somewhat more thoughtful than I was expecting based on the title of the talk. I agree with @Psych Person that it is utterly baffling that whatever committee at Yale that is responsible for organizing their grand rounds approved both the title of the presentation and her listed "objectives" unchanged. As an institution, they deserve whatever blowback they're getting or going to get - this kind of talk is completely inappropriate for the audience, something that she says she apparently has some appreciation of in the interview yet seems to completely lack actual understanding of by virtue of the fact that she thought this was an appropriate way to present her opinions. It's obviously polemic and intended to be edgy, which is unfortunate because it sounds like she could have made potentially worthwhile points if the form of her talk was less unhinged, based on the excerpts included in the text of the article. I say that as someone who is generally skeptical of the entire premise of her argument but can nevertheless see the merit of some of her points if only they were presented differently. I guess that's me defending my suppressed racism and guilt. On the plus side, it did lead to an interesting hour-long conversation with my own analyst.

You're in for a ride if you check out the website for her private practice - just Google her name.

I find myself less agitated about the content of the talk - people say all kinds of bizarre, off-the-wall, and provocative things all of the timer - and more bothered by the broader issue of what this says about academic institutional culture and how utterly toxic it has become when it comes to certain topics. The same author wrote a long-form article about this topic, which is I think is an interesting read: What Happens When Doctors Can't Tell the Truth?. I've actually thought about writing a paper exploring how some of the more extreme social justice values and what has become politically acceptable in the zeitgeist is deeply harmful (in my opinion) to the endeavor of training psychiatrists and physicians as a whole. Ironically (and perhaps unsurprisingly), when I spoke with my mentor about it I was advised to not do so and, if I did, to expect a fair amount of professional backlash from it. I see that as inherently problematic, and this talk is just another aspect of whatever that problem is IMO, which I think is more troubling.

Reactions: 10 users
Uhhh.

It’s worth noting that the psychiatrist HERSELF says that a former analyst of hers told her that she appeared to be “psychotic”, i.e. experiencing PSYCHOSIS, when expressing to this former therapist the hostility she has towards white people.

I do not think this is some grand pre-planned inception-level, 200 IQ, big brain, power level over 9000 kind of plan that was cooked up well-ahead of time in order to teach us all something very important via clever provocations intended to awaken us from our naive unconscious slumbers so that it might be revealed to us the truth about the depravity of our own original sin—to be born white, to be without that sacred molecule known as melanin, that which if it were had in greater abundance that it would bless upon those who lack it the humanity missing and therefore cure them from being the psychopathic animals that they are by virtue of lacking this most blessed pigmentation—but alas, those without this divine substance cannot be reasoned with and instead may need their brains blown out.

Y’all are in here debating this as if this presentation of hers was some kind of sophisticated work of art that holds some sort of deep underlying meaning that had to be calculated precisely beforehand. Sure it was.

Being in this thread is like being back in AP high school English class, watching y’all attempt a rhetorical analysis on this genuinely hateful, psychopathic, woke poison. My high school English teacher was convinced that the author always intentionally did every little thing that was in the book, elevating the author to super human levels and interpreting the author’s weaknesses in writing as some sort of hidden engrained secret coding. In a way it is, it just isn’t done consciously. Wherever the author makes mistakes or deviates from conscious intent, there the unconscious will find its expression.

I think the massive credit some have given this psychiatrist is a result of genuinely wanting to believe that it’s not possible for this person to be in her position, with her training, and to perhaps ego-syntonically resonate with these expressed ideas. Also, the person’s projections are so extreme in the presentation, to seemingly paranoid psychotic proportions, that she herself is now retroactively trying to make some psychoanalytic (non)sense out of what broke loose from her control during that grand rounds, using the fancy words and concepts that she has learned in her many years of education. She will also attempt to wield every melanin molecule and X chromosome to her advantage against those who might come after her in this current cancel culture.

Let’s try to be clear and honest here. This person was most likely on a power trip, had the intoxicating attention of the prestigious audience, perceived an allegiance to an extreme that even the woke dystopia couldn’t contain, and assumed that surely others would wholeheartedly understand and believe the same ideas and come to similar conclusions as she had. At no point during the presentation does the psychiatrist stop to clarify, or break any apparent character, or make clear that there is hyperbole being utilized to make a point that is not congruent with their actual held values or beliefs. I mean, look at the title for God’s sake. It was bat**** crazy before the talk even began. This person does not behave as if it was some highfalutin attempt at a psychoanalytic exercise. Listen to the talk. This person was in the zone. They were feeling good about it as it was happening. Remember the German dude with the mustache from World War 2?

Yale was ashamed of this grand rounds presentation and hid it from the public afterwards. It was only when this person demanded and complained on their TikTok account (wtf) that this was being withheld from the public, and after they claimed something about being oppressed by the institution, that Yale was finally like “alright lady, your funeral” and then said to the public “we disavow this lady and the content of her presentation” before releasing it.

Who in their right mind would think this was a good, or even appropriate, grandrounds presentation to give to a Child Studies department at a university?! Furthermore, who the heck thinks the public would have anymore tolerance for this psychopathic woke slop than one of the most tolerant woke institutions who already tried to hide it due to its hate-filled nature. Not even the most articulate post-modernists can spin this one. Side note, this person’s MA is in Critical Theory, so expect a lot of post-modernistic attempts by them to spin and bend reality. This is why we don’t freaking teach the art of psychotherapy/analysis to god damned psychopaths folks, because they end up super powerful, slippery, and can wreak havoc on society. Her poor patients, in general, but especially the ones she hates. Christ.

It can be inferred that this person lacks Theory of Mind to an extraordinary degree. Maybe it was transient, maybe it’s select, maybe it’s pervasive. Either way, at the time of this presentation, their judgement was WAY off. The thought form is disjointed and bizarre at times, seemingly paranoid and hostile as a consequence. Getting some major Dark Triad vibes from this. Also, looking at their TikTok and some of their online photos gives me feelings of concern. They look tired, and the vacancy in those eyes, while not objectively verifiable, is familiar. I would like to believe that this person was different (healthier) earlier in their career, and I hope things rapidly get better for them.
I have a psych friend at Yale who is denying this lecture ever existed

I read the interview and I'm going to listen to the full talk just for giggles at some point (can I demand my 1 hour of CME from Yale?), but I will say that the transcript of her interview was somewhat more thoughtful than I was expecting based on the title of the talk. I agree with @Psych Person that it is utterly baffling that whatever committee at Yale that is responsible for organizing their grand rounds approved both the title of the presentation and her listed "objectives" unchanged. As an institution, they deserve whatever blowback they're getting or going to get - this kind of talk is completely inappropriate for the audience, something that she says she apparently has some appreciation of in the interview yet seems to completely lack actual understanding of by virtue of the fact that she thought this was an appropriate way to present her opinions. It's obviously polemic and intended to be edgy, which is unfortunate because it sounds like she could have made potentially worthwhile points if the form of her talk was less unhinged, based on the excerpts included in the text of the article. I say that as someone who is generally skeptical of the entire premise of her argument but can nevertheless see the merit of some of her points if only they were presented differently. I guess that's me defending my suppressed racism and guilt. On the plus side, it did lead to an interesting hour-long conversation with my own analyst.

You're in for a ride if you check out the website for her private practice - just Google her name.

I find myself less agitated about the content of the talk - people say all kinds of bizarre, off-the-wall, and provocative things all of the timer - and more bothered by the broader issue of what this says about academic institutional culture and how utterly toxic it has become when it comes to certain topics. The same author wrote a long-form article about this topic, which is I think is an interesting read: What Happens When Doctors Can't Tell the Truth?. I've actually thought about writing a paper exploring how some of the more extreme social justice values and what has become politically acceptable in the zeitgeist is deeply harmful (in my opinion) to the endeavor of training psychiatrists and physicians as a whole. Ironically (and perhaps unsurprisingly), when I spoke with my mentor about it I was advised to not do so and, if I did, to expect a fair amount of professional backlash from it. I see that as inherently problematic, and this talk is just another aspect of whatever that problem is IMO, which I think is more troubling.

Agree that I was a bit surprised by some of the statements in the interview with Herzog. She actually seemed to have some thoughtful and interesting views on the unconscious experience, but then manages to take a rapid descent into comedic and unstable levels of hyperbole and hypocrisy. Like her statements on gluten stemming from white guilt or how white people need to work through their guilt and "whiteness" while simultaneously saying talking to white people is a waste of time. I haven't bothered listening to the lecture nor have I visited her website as I don't feel like wasting that time right now. It terrifies me that she's primarily doing psychodynamic therapy with her patients, but I'd love to hear what her patients would have to say about her. Especially after they hear/see her statements from these sources.

She and Ben Shapiro should get married and have insufferable babies together.
You replied to a post likening her to a neo-nazi. However, I'm going to be the party pooper and point out that Ben Shapiro is jewish and his wife (pretty sure also jewish) is morrocan descent.

You replied to a post likening her to a neo-nazi. However, I'm going to be the party pooper and point out that Ben Shapiro is jewish and his wife (pretty sure also jewish) is morrocan descent.

Sometimes insufferable people are willing to set aside their differences to embrace each other's extreme misanthropy and self-hatred.

• Sad
Thanks for this . We will have to agree to disagree as I don't see the issue with what she writes.
Totally apropos for the person with the screen name TikiTorches to stick up for white nationalists. This is the SDN content that keeps me coming back!

jokes aside(although a signature saying ‘I liked tiki torches before Charlottesville’ might be helpful) what does it mean to speak in “openly racist terms”?

So you don't see any problems with the following:

"I'm a Christian first, and a mean-spirited, bigoted conservative second, and don't you ever forget it. "

"I think there should be a literacy test and a poll tax for people to vote."

"Even Obama's staunchest supporters are starting to leave him. Last week Michelle Obama demanded to see a copy of his birth certificate."

In this one she says Asians have no business explaining racism.

Here she says she can tell if what type of immigrant she's dealing with by looking at them.
[/URL]

So you don't see any problems with the following:

"I'm a Christian first, and a mean-spirited, bigoted conservative second, and don't you ever forget it. "

"I think there should be a literacy test and a poll tax for people to vote."

"Even Obama's staunchest supporters are starting to leave him. Last week Michelle Obama demanded to see a copy of his birth certificate."

In this one she says Asians have no business explaining racism.

Here she says she can tell if what type of immigrant she's dealing with by looking at them.
[/URL]
1. don't see any problem with the Christian statement

2. re literacy test/poll tax; her views seem to be from the 18th century, I guess she doesn't favor pure democracy.

3. The Obama statement is a pretty good joke

1. don't see any problem with the Christian statement

2. re literacy test/poll tax; her views seem to be from the 18th century, I guess she doesn't favor pure democracy.

3. The Obama statement is a pretty good joke
So no one sees an issue with her describing herself as a "mean-spirited bigot".

define bigot
Oxford Dictionary
a person who is obstinately or unreasonably attached to a belief, opinion, or faction, especially one who is prejudiced against or antagonistic toward a person or people on the basis of their membership of a particular group.

"don't let a few small-minded bigots destroy the good image of the city"

If you look up Ann Coulter quotes and what she says about Mexicans for example (I pulled one up) you can see the latter portion of the definition of bigot applies to her specifically.

Jorge Ramos spars with Ann Coulter over her comparison of immigrants to ISIS

In her first interview ahead of the publication of her new book, Adios, America! conservative commentator Ann Coulter stood by her claim that Americans should “fear immigrants” from Mexico “more than ISIS,” the extremist group making gains across Iraq and Syria.

“I have a little tip. If you don’t want to be killed by ISIS, don’t go to Syria. If you don’t want to be killed by a Mexican, there’s nothing I can tell you,” Coulter said in an interview Tuesday with Fusion’s Jorge Ramos.

After several seconds of silence from a rather stunned audience, she added, “Very easy to not be killed by ISIS. Don’t fly to Syria.”

“Are you really saying…we’re talking about 40 million immigrants in this country?” Ramos said. When he pressed Coulter further, she suggested that certain “cultures are obviously deficient.”

“There are a lot of problems with that culture,” she said of Mexico.

It was pointed out to her that she was characterizing 40 million people, which is the number of legal and illegal immigrants combined.

I don't know how anyone can read what she says and conclude that she is not bigoted against non-whites.

So no one sees an issue with her describing herself as a "mean-spirited bigot".
I don't think anyone would disagree that Ann Coulter is provocative and a thinly-veilled troll. She has socially conservative views - I don't know that that inherently makes her a bigot, but maybe some would view her that way. Her comments about immigration are off-color, but when interpreted with the knowledge that she is deliberately being provocative and trying to "own the libs," I find her to be far less concerning figure in the commentariat than others. At least she's transparent about her views, whatever you may think of them.

• Sad
I don't think anyone would disagree that Ann Coulter is provocative and a thinly-veilled troll. She has socially conservative views - I don't know that that inherently makes her a bigot, but maybe some would view her that way. Her comments about immigration are off-color, but when interpreted with the knowledge that she is deliberately being provocative and trying to "own the libs," I find her to be far less concerning figure in the commentariat than others. At least she's transparent about her views, whatever you may think of them.
It's kind of sad we are to the point that making sweeping racist views about entire ethnicities and stoking xenophobic anger/violence is far less concerning than other commentary. You don't get bonus points for being brutally honest or "transparent" when the things you say are intended to denigrate others.

Reactions: 13 users
It's kind of sad we are to the point that making sweeping racist views about entire ethnicities and stoking xenophobic anger/violence is far less concerning than other commentary. You don't get bonus points for being brutally honest or "transparent" when the things you say are intended to denigrate others.
I agree that being transparent doesn't change the views being expressed, but at least you know what you're getting when you see something from Ann Coulter. You can rightfully disregard the overwhelming majority of what she says. I'm pretty right-leaning and listen to a lot of "right-wing" commentators and I pay zero attention to Ann Coulter. She's a provocateur that makes money being provocative, not actually offering some kind of meaningful conservative vision or policy prescriptions that most people take seriously to address actual, real-world problems. She isn't worth listening to.

To bring it back to the OP, I'm less interested in what the speaker said (despite the polemic firestorm being discussed about this in many conservative commentator circles) because she presents herself quite plainly, and you can interpret her views and overall thesis accordingly. I'm more concerned that an institution that prides itself on being the pinnacle of scholasticism and, supposedly, intellectual inquiry thought that approving a grand rounds with academic objectives that are prima facie provocative and arguably racist and a needs assessment that included the fact that there are too many "Karen" (sic) in the world was a good idea. That this was a CME event lends additional cache to the content being presented in spite of Yale's subsequent attempt to backpeddle and distance itself from the event. That speaks to a bigger problem that is worth examining, IMO.

Reactions: 10 users
@NickNaylor @Crayola227

I think many people here are questioning the wisdom of focusing on polemic opinions.

But, IIRC Yale was designed to house everyone for the Rapture, so it's not like it has the high ground here.

• Haha

Moss D. (2021). On Having Whiteness. Journal of the American Psychoanalytic Association, 69(2), 355–371. SAGE Journals: Your gateway to world-class research journals

On Having Whiteness
tl;dr: white people sick, white people bad, whiteness can be transmitted to non-whites but is rare, no cure for whiteness, what do about whiteness?

Yeah, this is good. Nothing bad is happening in the western world. The west is not under attack. There is no rampant anti-white propaganda. The “professionals” and “experts” we are supposed to be able to trust to enforce reality, law and order, and to teach our youth are NOT compromised.

holy sh** are we in trouble

buckle up

Last edited:

Moss D. (2021). On Having Whiteness. Journal of the American Psychoanalytic Association, 69(2), 355–371. SAGE Journals: Your gateway to world-class research journals

On Having Whiteness
tl;dr: white people sick, white people bad, whiteness can be transmitted to non-whites but is rare, no cure for whiteness, what do about whiteness?

Yeah, this is good. Nothing bad is happening in the western world. The west is not under attack. There is no rampant anti-white propaganda. The “professionals” and “experts” we are supposed to be able to trust to enforce reality, law and order, and to teach our youth are NOT compromised.

buckle up
Wow.

That is labeled as a “research article”...in a peer reviewed journal..by a psychiatrist Donald Moss, MD who has been in practice for 51 years, and is a chair of the association......

On Having Whiteness

buckle up
Isn't it a shame that there's no cure for whiteness? Maybe there's some other solution. A... final solution for whiteness, perhaps?

• Haha
Wow.

That is labeled as a “research article”...in a peer reviewed journal..by a psychiatrist Donald Moss, MD who has been in practice for 51 years, and is a chair of the association......

That particular association isn't exactly known for its empirical rigor.