The "Q" word.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docB

Chronically painful
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was in an ER where I work less frequently and we were talking about where everyone lives. I said something along the lines of, “My neighborhood is nice and quiet.” I got taken to task for uttering the “Q” word. Now I would never say the “Q” word in the context of talking about the ER or I fully agree that unimaginable carnage would immediately descend. I’ve never heard anyone, even back in my fire days, say it was the “Q” word in ANY context that was a problem.

So my question is: Is the “Q” word jinx only if you’re talking about the ER, or is it for any time the word is said regardless of context?

If it's for any context am I screwed for the rest of my shift because I typed it? Does it help that I typed "Q" word instead of q---t? I've gotta know before I cause the busload of the National Association of Frail and Osteoporitic Little Old Demented Ladies on Coumadin to crash in my parking lot.

Members don't see this ad.

docB said:
I said something along the lines of, “My neighborhood is nice and quiet.”

You already said it. Too late.

docB said:
I was in an ER where I work less frequently and we were talking about where everyone lives. I said something along the lines of, “My neighborhood is nice and quiet.” I got taken to task for uttering the “Q” word. Now I would never say the “Q” word in the context of talking about the ER or I fully agree that unimaginable carnage would immediately descend. I’ve never heard anyone, even back in my fire days, say it was the “Q” word in ANY context that was a problem.

So my question is: Is the “Q” word jinx only if you’re talking about the ER, or is it for any time the word is said regardless of context?

If it's for any context am I screwed for the rest of my shift because I typed it? Does it help that I typed "Q" word instead of q---t? I've gotta know before I cause the busload of the National Association of Frail and Osteoporitic Little Old Demented Ladies on Coumadin to crash in my parking lot.

Dang, I thought you were talking about Q--nn when I read the title of this post. I mean he doesn't post much here anymore now that he is an attending. Perhaps we could get -uin- to give his thought on using the q---t word.

:laugh:

Nothing but :love: for the Q--nnster

Wook

Members don't see this ad :)
ANYTIME you use the "Q" word you will be punished NO MATTER THE CONTEXT!!!

That has always been the rule in the ED's I've worked in as well as on the ambulance.

later and good luck with the busload of hemophiliacs that runs into a mirror/glass truck! :laugh:

docB said:
Well the verdict is in. I've gotten my a-- handed to me for the last 6 hours. I'll never say... that word... again.

No, it's only when you use it in context. No one has cared when I've told an obnoxious drunk to shut the f up and "be quiet."

mike

I'm with Mike. Context is key.

You should completely disregard the sound of the bus crashing outside your department as the sound of random coincidence.

Take care,
Jeff

BTW, what's the half-life of the Q word, said in context, of course?

Don't believe in it.

the voodoo doll, though, that's for real.

When I was in residency, sometimes when we had to go down to the ER to admit somebody on a slow night, I'd look around and remark (loudly, to anyone within earshot), "Boy, it sure is..." And before I could finish, a half-dozen people would scream, "Don't say it!!!" ;)

Ah, the Q word. When people utter my name, thoughts of casual sex, illegitimate children, and HSV-2 come up.

Oh, you mean Q***T in the ED? I am superstitious, however, for the first time I don't think I've seen it come to fruitioin this past week. I was in the "Fast Track" and a PA student came in, and said, "gee, it sure is Q.... in here." I threw a pen at her, and kept notice in the next hour or two. THings didn't really change much. Maybe its cause she was a PA student, though. Who knows.

Q

DrQuinn said:
Ah, the Q word. When people utter my name, thoughts of casual sex, illegitimate children, and HSV-2 come up.

Oh, you mean Q***T in the ED? I am superstitious, however, for the first time I don't think I've seen it come to fruitioin this past week. I was in the "Fast Track" and a PA student came in, and said, "gee, it sure is Q.... in here." I threw a pen at her, and kept notice in the next hour or two. THings didn't really change much. Maybe its cause she was a PA student, though. Who knows.

Q

Hmm sounds like an interesting research project to work on the overcrowding issues. Go to and ED, say "its quiet in here" no matter how busy it is and make a chart for the next 5 hours. Then go into the same ED's and say "wow, its soooo busy in here" and see if it works the other way around...Think I can get published in JAMA?

JackBauERfan said:
Hmm sounds like an interesting research project to work on the overcrowding issues. Go to and ED, say "its quiet in here" no matter how busy it is and make a chart for the next 5 hours. Then go into the same ED's and say "wow, its soooo busy in here" and see if it works the other way around...Think I can get published in JAMA?
I can tell you now with absoulute certainty that the later half of your experiment will fail miserably. The B word is omnipresent in EDs and the only thing that changes is the patients get surlier and the staff gets more exausted.

For the record. I too believe context is key. As a frequent mp3 jammer in my charting area I am often told to turn it up a little it's too quiet and that never effects pt flow.

One of our nurses mentioned the Q word this morning.

I got two cardiac arrests and a patient made comfort care all back to back, followed by a respiratory failure requiring intubation.

Many kudos to the Q word. It makes my job rewarding -- exactly why I went into emergency medicine. I like it busy with lots of excitement!

docB said:
Well the verdict is in. I've gotten my a-- handed to me for the last 6 hours. I'll never say... that word... again.

Didn't I tell ya?

as a student, I find it quite alright to have quite a few patients to learn from. If it's quite in the ED, I have to sit quitely and study a book or something. Bottom line is, I don't like it when it's quite. so here it goes: QUIET, QUIET QUIET... still nothing. I guess the jinx doesn't work afterall.. or maybe it will get transferred to whoever reads this posting :)

JackBauERfan said:

you still need a negative control. Then you need consent forms, and IRB approval. also, you need to look for funding, and submit a proposal. Try to avoid technical jargons though. :scared:

RayF said:
you still need a negative control. Then you need consent forms, and IRB approval. also, you need to look for funding, and submit a proposal. Try to avoid technical jargons though. :scared:
I wouldn't consent to that. I'd rather have a code brown with extreme outdoorsman feet in every room than let someone say the "Q" word.