The Question we all get - Why Now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EdLongshanks

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Almost every non-traditional student is going to get this question in one form or another. I have several diffrent forms for my answer - I would like to see what you all think of them or if you have better answers.

I should note that this answer must be true in order to work. Lying is always wrong and usually counter-productive

Interiewer (or friend, or person who you have asked to provide a Letter of Reference asks) Why do you want to go to medical school now, in your forties?

Answer: The way I look at this question, which many people have asked me, is to rephrase the question. "Why not sooner?" Why didn't I go to med-school right out of my first college experience? Why didn't I do so when my family was young? Why didn't I start this process after my babies were old enough to not need my constant attention.

And I don't have a good answer for that, because I should have done it sooner. Oh, there were lots of excuses that I used for not continuing my education. Night classes were more rare then. Non-traditional students were not as accepted. My family obligations were greater. But all of these are weak and easily answered. I could have taken at least one course a semester, even if it were during the day. My children needed me, but others have balanced school and home-life and I could have also. Non-traditionals are accepted now because other brave students paved the way, and I could have been one of them.

This begs the question, of course, of what has changed now. And I would have to answer that the pressure of my desire has overcome the tendencies of inertia. I can no longer stand night after night and weekend after weekend of doing nothing to help humanity. Oh, an occasional vacation doesn't bother me, but the thought of future decades of 45 hour work weeks and 40 hours of selfish leisure in a week is no longer tolerable to me.

So, if I have this time that I should be helping others and the good mind that God gave me, in what way am I best able to help? Unquestionably a doctor helps more people in one month than almost anyone else (except maybe a police or fireman, which I am not by nature inclined toward).

My experiences with helping others throughout my young life tells me that I can do well at this profession ....... ( lead into strengths)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What you have said sounds good.

I believe that even more important than your actual reasons, is the fact that you can express your desire to be a doctor in a way which shows you have given it much thought and are passionate about it now.

Almost every non-traditional student is going to get this question in one form or another. I have several diffrent forms for my answer - I would like to see what you all think of them or if you have better answers.

I should note that this answer must be true in order to work. Lying is always wrong and usually counter-productive

Interiewer (or friend, or person who you have asked to provide a Letter of Reference asks) Why do you want to go to medical school now, in your forties?

Answer: The way I look at this question, which many people have asked me, is to rephrase the question. "Why not sooner?" Why didn't I go to med-school right out of my first college experience? Why didn't I do so when my family was young? Why didn't I start this process after my babies were old enough to not need my constant attention.

And I don't have a good answer for that, because I should have done it sooner. Oh, there were lots of excuses that I used for not continuing my education. Night classes were more rare then. Non-traditional students were not as accepted. My family obligations were greater. But all of these are weak and easily answered. I could have taken at least one course a semester, even if it were during the day. My children needed me, but others have balanced school and home-life and I could have also. Non-traditionals are accepted now because other brave students paved the way, and I could have been one of them.

This begs the question, of course, of what has changed now. And I would have to answer that the pressure of my desire has overcome the tendencies of inertia. I can no longer stand night after night and weekend after weekend of doing nothing to help humanity. Oh, an occasional vacation doesn't bother me, but the thought of future decades of 45 hour work weeks and 40 hours of selfish leisure in a week is no longer tolerable to me.

So, if I have this time that I should be helping others and the good mind that God gave me, in what way am I best able to help? Unquestionably a doctor helps more people in one month than almost anyone else (except maybe a police or fireman, which I am not by nature inclined toward).

My experiences with helping others throughout my young life tells me that I can do well at this profession ....... ( lead into strengths)

Don't you think you're laying it on a bit thick with the cheesiness? I think your answer is verbose. It would be better to keep it concise yet substantive.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I had an amazing opportunity to do research in total synthesis and that's why I didn't apply sooner.

And since I haven't started my volunteer position in the ER yet (woooo Friday nights!) or my internship, that's all I have to say about that. :p

Don't you think you're laying it on a bit thick with the cheesiness? I think your answer is verbose. It would be better to keep it concise yet substantive.

Good point, so "Frankly, I should have done it a long time ago. I don't have any good reason that I didn't - life happens and the years slip by, but now I am no longer willing to sit by and let life happen. It's time to do more for people than hold their hand while they suffer and say 'I am so sorry'."

Cant you just say, why not? or Because I want to? :p

Good point, so "Frankly, I should have done it a long time ago. I don't have any good reason that I didn't - life happens and the years slip by, but now I am no longer willing to sit by and let life happen. It's time to do more for people than hold their hand while they suffer and say 'I am so sorry'."

Both cheesey and banal.

Tell them what happened in your life to bring about this desire. Did you really always want to be a doctor and avoided it to go live life? Or did you realize late in life this is where youre being called? I think its better to be specific and tell your story rather than being vague and cliche.

I was a teacher...I enjoy teaching and am good at it. I was entirely satisfied with the measley income, I wasnt rich but I made enough to support my family and I enjoyed summers off. I had no qualms with my career and couldve continued working in it for many years. I began working at a free-clinic with my mom on the weekends. After a month or so with patients and watching their lives changed by the time volunteered by doctors and nurses and how patient education made such significant changes in peoples lives I knew that this was for me (Oh and getting to help excise lipomas and other skin growths helped too). I have since spent hundreds of hours working with and learning from docs, in the clinic, OR, and classroom setting at a local FM residency program.

Figure out what your story is and tell it.

My answer to this is because I never considered it. My idea of a good job was one that pays the bills, and required the least amount of education. As time went on and i matured I improved my academic and professional resume I wanted to grow within the medical field. I started off as a HomeHealth Aide with a GED and kept moving up, and so did my confidence, desires and ambitions.

Both cheesey and banal.

Tell them what happened in your life to bring about this desire. Did you really always want to be a doctor and avoided it to go live life? Or did you realize late in life this is where youre being called? I think its better to be specific and tell your story rather than being vague and cliche.

I was a teacher...I enjoy teaching and am good at it. I was entirely satisfied with the measley income, I wasnt rich but I made enough to support my family and I enjoyed summers off. I had no qualms with my career and couldve continued working in it for many years. I began working at a free-clinic with my mom on the weekends. After a month or so with patients and watching their lives changed by the time volunteered by doctors and nurses and how patient education made such significant changes in peoples lives I knew that this was for me (Oh and getting to help excise lipomas and other skin growths helped too). I have since spent hundreds of hours working with and learning from docs, in the clinic, OR, and classroom setting at a local FM residency program.

Figure out what your story is and tell it.

My problem with "telling my story" in this way is there is no story. I did not wake up one evening in the emergency rooms and get my life saved by a doctor and decide that I had to be just like him.

Instead, I had a growing sensation that my life was unsatisfactory. I looked for what I could do that would satisfy and found that this is the only path that will.

Saying that, however, makes med school sound like mid-life crisis therapy, or worse, like Mickey Rooney and Judy Garland saying "I know, we'll put on a show!!!!"

My answer to this is because I never considered it. My idea of a good job was one that pays the bills, and required the least amount of education. As time went on and i matured I improved my academic and professional resume I wanted to grow within the medical field. I started off as a HomeHealth Aide with a GED and kept moving up, and so did my confidence, desires and ambitions.

Great story. I work for a home health care company and I am very familiar with the job process. Most of the women here (HHAs) are older blacks or hispanic with little education( GED or less). The furthest they can see out of this is either enrolling in nursing school or some other ancillary position. The fact that you arose to where you are today is moving. Best wishes.

Instead, I had a growing sensation that my life was unsatisfactory. I looked for what I could do that would satisfy and found that this is the only path that will.

So tell what it was about medicine that lets you know it will satisfy you...what has your experience been that you are confident that this the career for you?

But yeah, it does sound like a mid-life crisis if you say that youre unsatisfied with life and medicine is you path to satisfaction without a good reason why.

I agree with teacherman and I wouldn't be all that psyched to hear a speech like that if I were interviewing an applicant.

It sounds desperate and melodramatic and sentiments like that always arouse the suspicion that someone is enamored with a fantasy more than the daily business of doctoring.

I really think it's a big mistake to make the escape from "banality" (to quote teacherman) the motivation for your choice in essays or interviews. Better the pursuit of joy. Some experience that moved you, and then you pushed yourself to explore the medical field and you liked more of what you saw.

The reality is is that there are many things that people can do to "help people" or "make the world a better place" (and for god sakes don't ever use those phrases). Being a doctor doesn't give you any special province above other service oriented professions. Pretending that doctors are part of some exalted "people-helping" clergy or something doesn't make you sound like someone who really knows the nuts and bolts of medicine.

Mind you I don't know you so I'm not saying that your motivations are wrong or that you really don't understand the medical field. It's just when I hear speeches like this about how some "well of dissatifaction" is the someone's motivation to be a doctor and how it's "the only thing that could make me happy" it just I hear alarm bells. It's just the way it sounds.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have been semi-fulfilled in my role as a physical therapist and constantly feel the need for more. A broader scope of practice and ability to assist patients in a more comprehensive manner are what drive me towards becoming a physician. My experiences to date have already shown me that I am capable of working closely with, educating and treating patients.

My problem with "telling my story" in this way is there is no story. I did not wake up one evening in the emergency rooms and get my life saved by a doctor and decide that I had to be just like him.

Saying that, however, makes med school sound like mid-life crisis therapy, or worse, like Mickey Rooney and Judy Garland saying "I know, we'll put on a show!!!!"
that is your story. the interviewers will understand that life happens.

To answer that question, I think you need to demonstrate what you have done to help make this decision. Time volunteering, research, working in a related field etc. I would like to see how you know you want to be a doctor, not just that you want to help people.

Your answer sounds more like you want to work at a homeless shelter or the peace corps.

I'm not saying that your motivation is wrong, just make sure there is more to it than just wanting to help people.

To answer that question, I think you need to demonstrate what you have done to help make this decision. Time volunteering, research, working in a related field etc. I would like to see how you know you want to be a doctor, not just that you want to help people.

Your answer sounds more like you want to work at a homeless shelter or the peace corps.

I'm not saying that your motivation is wrong, just make sure there is more to it than just wanting to help people.

I already volunteer at the homeless shelter.

As this thread demonstrates, I needed some work on my answer to this question. I think to some extent that the thread has morphed into "why do you want to be a doctor" and I don't think that anyone can give an answer to that which cannot be either called insufficient or cheezy. This is as true of a 22-year old straight out of her first bachelors degree as it is of a 46 year old man in mid-life.

My question was more of "why now, why not sooner" and my answer, though less wordy, is still the same. I should have done it sooner. I regret not doing so, but I am unwilling to put it off any longer.

On the answer to the question - "Why do you want to be a doctor" anyone's answer can be ripped apart. The book "Med School Confidential" has a whole chapter on it and comes to no conclusions. A person's motivation is either altruistic (cheezy) or financial (wrong answer) or status-driven (worse answer). The fact is that all of us are doing this because we believe that we can do it and that we can make good doctors.

Although everything that I have read disagrees with me on this, I still think the "story of how I first wanted to do this" is the most cheezy thing of all. It reminds me of my year in Bible school when we were supposed to come up with a tale of our gut-wrenching, wrestle-with-the-angel, story of getting "called to preach". We all obediently came up with our tale and even convinced ourselves that it was true.

Dude, you are WAY overthinking this, and it will show in your answer. Just answer the question. Trust me, they'll get harder.....

Truth. Overthinking things is one of my weaknesses - but it beats studying :)

One thing I'd be especially cautious of it emphasizing that doctors do more good than those in other professions. One, it's not true. There are plenty of people out there making the world a better place who aren't physicians, and two, you're not going to be evaluated only by people who are practicing medicine when you apply. The bigwigs at most schools don't see patients at all or very rarely. It honestly sounds kind of naive to emphasize that you want to go into medicine just because it's the most virtuous or useful profession.

I've learned in life that there are people who can say things eloquently, and those who can't.

Then in a completely separate category, there are people who really want to desperately help humanity and those who don't.

The ones that desperately want to help humanity don't write about it on internet forums.

You have 40 hrs of leisure and desperately want to help humanity? What have you done for humanity dude?

"Brevity is a very cool thing." --Bennie Blanco

Last edited:

Time for the PARAPHRASE.... READY, SET, GO!
Guys don't lie, it isn't effective. It's almost like people can tell when your lying by nonverbal cues. I may write a book on this discovery.

Interviewer: You are old, why med school now?

Long Shanks: Let me start off by sounding overly prepared by paraphrasing your question and starting into an answer about 5 paragraphs longer than you expect.

Why didn't I do this when most people do? hmm. I should have, therefore I have regrets and want to be like your other applicants. I couldn't have had valuable experiences that have made me who I am today, because I want to be like everyone else.

Non trad students who got accepted earlier are better than me, I wish I was one of them.

So I guess after all this regret, you are may ask: "why the heck do we want you?". Well let me give you my only reason: I desperately want to help humanity and I have too much time off right now.

I know what you are thinking. "How in the world do I have too much time off and the desperate need to help humanity?" You must be thinking, "This makes no sense. This is like desperately wanting to work out while sitting at home on a couch 40 hrs a week."

I know, I know. I guess I just really have ambitions to be a doctor, and that didn't sound cool like helping people does. Doctors help more people than Ghandi and Mother Theresa combined.

Interviewer: WOW. Well what, if any, great contributions have you made to humanity so far?

Long Shanks: Oh, I'm waiting to fulfill this unending desperate consuming desire until I get my MD, actually I think I'll wait til residency is over. Then I really want to get my hands dirty. My strength is that I love to help others, my weakness is that I care too much.

Interviewer: That will be all.

**Shanks walks out, and sees his buddy. "DUDE, I NAILED IT!" **Shanks high fives buddy

Last edited:
I am a 51-year-old practicing attorney. My applications are in, are complete and interviews begin soon with two under my belt so far in the last two weeks.

I wrote in my personal statement about how I came to this decision to go to medical school. Above all - tell the truth. Be direct and be concise. I utilized some humor even calling attention to my wife's description of my last three years taking hard science courses at night while going to court during the day - a mid life crisis as she called it but much more expensive than a girlfriend and a sports car. I talked about making a believer out of her in her seeing my dedication and passion bear fruit in superior grades and the smile on my face as I read Orgo flash cards.

I must have gotten someone's attention as I have had two interviews thus far and more are scheduled.

I think that you can over editorialize your age. Make it a positive attribute. With youth you have learning. With age you have wisdom. Show them your wisdom and what you can contribute to your class of students.

At both interviews I was told that I was not too old and that older students are welcome because they add maturity to the class and rise to the top with their leadership skills (maybe they mean father like qualities). Call it what you want. Older or not, you must convey that you will fit in and succeed. Best wishes to you Ed.

I've learned in life that there are people who can say things eloquently, and those who can't.

Then in a completely separate category, there are people who really want to desperately help humanity and those who don't.

The ones that desperately want to help humanity don't write about it on internet forums.

You have 40 hrs of leisure and desperately want to help humanity? What have you done for humanity dude?

"Brevity is a very cool thing." --Bennie Blanco

Nonsense, the list of things that I have done for others is sufficient for anyone my age. Like other posters here who are other-oriented I don't sit down and list them all for your benefit. But it has been many years since I sat at home and did nothing for others. Even then I was uncomfortable enough about it so that I found out how to avoid that fate.

It is exactly this habit of not wasting my leisure time that leads me to find what I can most effectively do for others, and that, for me, is to be a doctor.

If those who actually help others don't post on internet forums, I wonder what people who sit on internet forums and rip into other people are like.

Last edited:
a mid life crisis as she called it .

I like the way that you found to answer this. The point of this thread is that so many of us have been accused of having a mid-life crisis - even by people as close to us as our wives and children.

Look, if even your wife thought that this was your real motivation, then anyone with any amount of introspection has got to question themselves if it is true. I don't want to be a belly-button gazer here, but neither should we be so disregarding as to ignore what others are clearly thinking. I do not think that I am putting to much importance on this question. Within 2 days I got this question from a doctor who I was feeling out for a possibility of following and an admissions official at a school that I called for information. These are serious people and their question deserves serious consideration. That is why I started this thread. I don't think that I am alone here.

So let's be introspective for a moment and check out the naval lint. What is a mid-life crisis and why are we accused of having one? In the book "The Lonely Crowd", David Riesman talks about what happens to the inner-directed male who reaches middle age and suddenly realizes that he has not accomplished all of the goals that he set for himself. His life animas is destroyed and he feels himself at loss for a purpose.

A man who turns to sports cars and hot babes in a mid-life crisis is trying to find a new base of operations and is a comical feature in our culture. One who turns to med school has an impeachable motivation to be a doctor. Therefore the adcomms would have a reasonable purpose in attempting to weed out these men.

(I say men, because this is a known male syndrome. I don't know about anything about the female mid-life crisis.)

But what about the man who does not feel himself a failure, but, on the other hand, sees the freedom of mid-life as an opportunity to do more - more than he has ever done - an opportunity to accomplish dreams that seemed out of reach before. This man, although his actions are triggered at the same time, is not experiencing a crisis, but rather simply a new stage in life. I don't think that his motives are base or impeachable.

I disagree, I think this statement could work well for you. If you spend your entire answer apologizing for not making this decision sooner, then your explanation may come across as negative and/or facile. If, however, you start by saying you did not consider medicine as an option when you were younger, but gradually realized you were unsatisfied with your life/choices/career/whatnot, and then go on to explain how you came to realize medicine was the path that would be most satisfying, then you have a frank, honest and compelling story.

"But what about the man who does not feel himself a failure, but, on the other hand, sees the freedom of mid-life as an opportunity to do more - more than he has ever done - an opportunity to accomplish dreams that seemed out of reach before. This man, although his actions are triggered at the same time, is not experiencing a crisis, but rather simply a new stage in life. I don't think that his motives are base or impeachable."

I could not agree more. Good luck! Go for it. To be a medical doctor is my dream. A "crisis" is a short-term circumstance coupled with dread. I dread nothing.

Nonsense, the list of things that I have done for others is sufficient for anyone my age. Like other posters here who are other-oriented I don't sit down and list them all for your benefit. But it has been many years since I sat at home and did nothing for others. Even then I was uncomfortable enough about it so that I found out how to avoid that fate.

It is exactly this habit of not wasting my leisure time that leads me to find what I can most effectively do for others, and that, for me, is to be a doctor.

If those who actually help others don't post on internet forums, I wonder what people who sit on internet forums and rip into other people are like.

Do people who really care about others constantly mention they are "other-oriented"? Or how they have done enough already for others?

This would be like Bill Gates joining a financial forum to keep informing people, "hey everybody, I have a lot of money. I am rich."

Those who actually have it don't talk about it. They just do it.

Arnold Schwarzenegger had a good point in his bio, when he first started body building he had to act macho and constantly prove he was the best. Then years later when he got to the top, he realized that his old desire was there because he wasn't the best. He then compared it to cars.

A guy with a BMW goes around racing everyone to show he has the fastest car. While the guy with a Ferrari doesn't need to race anyone, everyone knows he has the fastest car.

Who are you trying to convince?
I had a growing sensation that my life was unsatisfactory. I looked for what I could do that would satisfy and found that this is the only path that will.
Plus, it is silly to say how altruistic you are and then state that you are doing this because your life is unsatisfying. You want to satisfy yourself, this is not altruism. Satisfaction isn't a bad thing, just call it what it is.

Last edited:
Who are you trying to convince?

I didn't and don't go around constantly talking about being other-oriented or trying to convince others of my good works. When asked why I want to be a doctor I respond because this is a continuation of what I have always done. If you then say "No you don't really help others" and I respond, "Yes, this is a life-time habit" then you respond - "If you really helped others then you wouldn't talk about it so much"

It's a pointless conversation. I tried to answer your negative accusations and you returned with the silly response that if I really were truly altruistic I wouldn't have to prove it. You're right. I don't have to prove it to you. I am attempting to have a serious conversation and people who want to play gotcha aren't serious conversationalists.

I didn't and don't go around constantly talking about being other-oriented or trying to convince others of my good works. When asked why I want to be a doctor I respond because this is a continuation of what I have always done. If you then say "No you don't really help others" and I respond, "Yes, this is a life-time habit" then you respond - "If you really helped others then you wouldn't talk about it so much"

It's a pointless conversation. I tried to answer your negative accusations and you returned with the silly response that if I really were truly altruistic I wouldn't have to prove it. You're right. I don't have to prove it to you. I am attempting to have a serious conversation and people who want to play gotcha aren't serious conversationalists.

Maybe I was wrong.

Go in peace.

Brad Paisley sings "If I could write a letter to me". You know, if I could write a letter to that young married man who had my name, I wish that I could tell him that the path to being a doctor is NOT THAT HARD!!!!!!

Oh, I know it's hard. It takes time and smarts and dedication, but its not an impossible goal set to high for any but the born fortunate.

I was working as a computer operator for barely more than minimum wage. My wife packed my sack lunch each day. For desert I got 6 (six) pieces of hard candy. My first child was born in a drafty house whose plumbing froze for 2 weeks that winter - and I thought that going on with my education was "too hard". But I was already living too hard. A life as a half-time student and full-time employee could hardly have been worse. At the least I could have gotten some relief from the student loans.

But at the time subsistence level living seemed all that I could aspire too. A graduate education seemed an impossible dream and I do not make a very good Man of La Mancha.

But now things are different. A thorough budget workup shows that this can actually be done. It could have been done years ago, I wish I had done it, but now I know that I can do it. And, even though I won't be able to put in as many years of medical service as I could have, nevertheless I can put in quite a few, and I intend them to be good years.

Adcoms: "Why now?"
Me: "I thought medical school would've been too easy right out of undergrad. I wanted it to be more challenging."
Adcoms: "More challenging?!"
Me: "Yeah. So, I got married and had a few kids. Then, built a successful career, that I knew I'd have to walk away from. But before that, I wanted to spend 3 years of my life taking post-bacc classes at night after working 10 hours a day. Now that I'm here, I can say that I'm fulfilled."
Adcom: [yells out the door at the receptionist] "Next applicant, please!"

Adcoms: "Why now?"
Me: "I thought medical school would've been too easy right out of undergrad. I wanted it to be more challenging."
Adcoms: "More challenging?!"
Me: "Yeah. So, I got married and had a few kids. Then, built a successful career, that I knew I'd have to walk away from. But before that, I wanted to spend 3 years of my life taking post-bacc classes at night after working 10 hours a day. Now that I'm here, I can say that I'm fulfilled."
Adcom: [yells out the door at the receptionist] "Next applicant, please!"

Great!!!lol Just what I was thinking! Do you really think that answer will work...I know in my head that is what I'll be thinking but won't answer that way. Maybe also hit them with.. I wanted to make sure that I had more responisbility on me when I start just test myself! :laugh:

Now..if they ask me the question if " how do we know you are committed and serious about attending medical school?" well.. Then I can respond along with..I am willing to walk away from a very good salary,an accomplished career and subject my wife and 3 kids to abject poverty and absent father syndrome, scar my kids for life and all because I am not serious.

Will that work? :thumbup:

The "why now" question is incredibly personal for a lot of people and specific to each individual's circumstances. I think there's a greater correlation between your age and previous career(s) and the necessity to have a good answer to it, i.e. a 26 year old who has been working a few years will not have as much to prove as a career-changing 46 year old. YMMV.

Ed - if it works out, write a book. I'm not being facetious. There are a lot of books out there from doctors writing about their intern year, resident years, etc. There aren't a lot of books from a nontraditional perspective (maybe because it's too narrow of a perspective audience :(), especially from someone out of their 20s. The only one I've read (I'm sure there are more though) is "Blue Collar, Blue Scrubs" by Michael J. Collins, M.D., but he was in mid-20s working construction in Chicago when he decided to take the plunge and go back to do the prerequisite courses.

You don't have anything to prove to the people posting here, you just have to prove your motivation and desire to admissions committees and interviewers. Do you think you can do it?

I agree that "why now" question is very person specific. Your answers sound good. Becoming a physician is a huge commitment not only to education time but also to a lifestyle. After medical school graduation more responsibilities arise. No matter where you are, you will always be responsible for the most sacred of all things, person's life! This is not to be taken lightly.

The most effective answer is the classic "elevator sales pitch"

30 seconds or less (at most 45), slowly, not rushed.

The most effective answer is the classic "elevator sales pitch"

30 seconds or less (at most 45), slowly, not rushed.

I appreciate that advice. Because this question is so often asked (I got it again from another school that I called just last week) that one wants to answer it in detail. But this is one of those questions that the longer the answer the more dangerous it is. The "elevator" response is best.

No one can adequately make decisions for other people, nevertheless, it is human instinct to try to do so. Therefore any defensive sounding answer brings out the magnifying glass. The answer then gets picked apart in detail - as this thread shows. I wouldn't be surprised if adcomms had a similar reaction to some of the posters here.

One reaction of some of the posters that I'm not worried about is sounding over-rehearsed. After years of preaching and teaching in churches, I've learned how to be prepared and still not lose the freshness of the present conversation. The key is to be interested in the person or persons who I'm talking to. They have certain needs and I am there to help fulfill them.

While it is good to give this question some thought, maybe on the way driving somewhere, I doubt this should be a focus.

Focus on being the best applicant (grades/mcat/personal statement/medically related experiences) and develop your passion for the field. People can tell when others have passion.

A great quote by Emerson:

Who you are speaks so loudly I can't hear what you're saying.
Basically, a exceptional person who says: "I am fascinated with the field and really enjoy medicine."

Would be better than a mediocre person saying the greatest answer ever written.

Focus on what is important. This isn't. If we took a poll that asked what factors are the most important in becoming a good physician, eloquent communication of their motivations would rank very very low.

If you speak poorly once and someone misunderstands your motivations, so what. only 7% of communication is in words anyhow (except on internet forums!). Is the goal to make sure others perceptions of us are great, or to become a physician?

Scenario 1 (interviewer asking you the question thinks you are a *****):

Wow, everything pointed to him being a ***** but then he gave that great answer. Lets give him an acceptance!

Scenario 2 (interviewer asking you the question thinks you are an exceptional person):

Wow, 99% of me really likes this person but his answer wasn't perfect for that one question. I guess we can't accept him.

These won't happen

Last edited:
While it is good to give this question some thought, maybe on the way driving somewhere, I doubt this should be a focus.

But there might still be some lint in that belly button!!!!

(or for those ironically challenged) Ok, I get the point. I'm obsessing when ought to be studying.

I never did figure out how to eloquently express why I want to be a doctor. I just do. I have wanted it for a long time but I wanted to have kids first, so I did that. And now I am at a point in my life where it is reasonable, so I'm in med school.

I never did figure out how to eloquently express why I want to be a doctor. I just do. I have wanted it for a long time but I wanted to have kids first, so I did that. And now I am at a point in my life where it is reasonable, so I'm in med school.

perfect answer in my book.