**The Republic of Texas XXX: You have been matched to Chuck Norris-HSC**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Are yours subsidized or unsubsidized? It seems 3/4 of mine are unsubsidized which I am mad about because they acquire interest during school

Mine is about the same...3/4 unsubsidized. Hey, at least Texas has cheap tuition compared to other schools lol. We'll pay it off one day...far far away

Members don't see this ad.

These comments are so odd to me... throughout undergrad and grad school I received about 1800 in subsidized loans total. Everything else was unsub, I thought is was normal that there is no help for the middle class.

These comments are so odd to me... throughout undergrad and grad school I received about 1800 in subsidized loans total. Everything else was unsub, I thought is was normal that there is no help for the middle class.

You haven't started med school yet, right? It's a pretty different ball game when it comes to financial aid. Lots of people in my class are on the hook for tens of thousands of dollars at least.

Members don't see this ad :)
Mine is about the same...3/4 unsubsidized. Hey, at least Texas has cheap tuition compared to other schools lol. We'll pay it off one day...far far away

So sure, but I'm looking at average graduate indebtedness and comparing for ex. UT-San Antonio (132K) with Albert eintstein (142K), there's not a big difference. I was wanting to stay in state mainly bc tuition was cheap but it doesn't seem that great. Is this average graduate indebtedness what I should be looking at rather than tuition/living expenses?

Off the top of my head:
Tech: El Paso offers full tuition (15k) merit-based
UTSW offers 5/10/15k merit-based.
UTH only does need-based scholarships.

Good info. Know about UTMB, anyone?

So sure, but I'm looking at average graduate indebtedness and comparing for ex. UT-San Antonio (132K) with Albert eintstein (142K), there's not a big difference. I was wanting to stay in state mainly bc tuition was cheap but it doesn't seem that great. Is this average graduate indebtedness what I should be looking at rather than tuition/living expenses?

Good info. Know about UTMB, anyone?

I wouldnt look at avg indebtness if you are definitely taking loans all four yrs for everything. It will be a higher number if you indeed are taking out loans for all of it.

Is a 3.42 a kiss of death for texas MD schools if you have a really good MCAT but not anything 36+?

Is a 3.42 a kiss of death for texas MD schools if you have a really good MCAT but not anything 36+?
I talked to admissions at Tech-Lubbock the other day, and they said they typically like to see nothing lower than 3.3-3.4, but a really good MCAT will help to compensate for something a little lower.

I talked to admissions at Tech-Lubbock the other day, and they said they typically like to see nothing lower than 3.3-3.4, but a really good MCAT will help to compensate for something a little lower.

:thumbup:

Story of my application cycle.

how did you do pi bond? (if you dont mind me asking)

Members don't see this ad :)
i think both schools are pretty equal but i'd go with san antonio just becauase...

the chance of a hurricane at uthscsa is zero
galveston is a pretty run-down city
uthscsa has a pretty impressive med center building up around it

Out of curiosity, what's the waitlist movement like for Texas schools?

Because of the match system, don't expect as much waitlist movement as out of state schools (especially since it's post-May 15th now).

But there will be some. One of my buddies got into UTMB two days after orientation started a couple of years ago, so it can go right up to the wire.

Last edited:

I can speak for this as I just got accepted to TTU-L with stats of that nature.

GPA: 3.4; Sci GPA: 3.3; Senior Year GPA: 3.1(I had a very bad year; deaths in the family and a couple hurricanes one semester of college, among other things).
MCAT: 32

Don't give up if you don't get accepted right off because I sure the hell never thought I would get taken off a waitlist given how huge they are.

I'm a multi-time applicant, too. It was getting to the level of desperation that I was willing to go through another year of undergrad science classes to up my GPA before reapplying, in addition to getting into another research project and maybe working as an EMT.

I'm a multi-time applicant, too. It was getting to the level of desperation that I was willing to go through another year of undergrad science classes to up my GPA before reapplying, in addition to getting into another research project and maybe working as an EMT.

well your hard work paid off in the end

well your hard work paid off in the end

When I get my M.D, I will have the same sentiment.
The battle for medical school is over. The war for medicine...is about to begin[/Gandalf]

Of those that were accepted this cycle. What is the typical science GPA for admission? Texas A&M has some data from last year cycle and there were people accepted with below a 3.0 sci GPA.

Of those that were accepted this cycle. What is the typical science GPA for admission? Texas A&M has some data from last year cycle and there were people accepted with below a 3.0 sci GPA.
There are always exceptions to the rule, but you want to make sure you're within that 1st standard deviation. Anything below a 3.4 or so and you probably start reducing your chances, depending on your major and other activities on your application. Someone with a 3.8, and no significant volunteering or other experience on their application will have a much lower chance of getting in than someone with a 3.2 and a heavy application to back them up. Those with less than a 3.0 GPA probably had something else going for them, possibly a high MCAT.

There are always exceptions to the rule, but you want to make sure you're within that 1st standard deviation. Anything below a 3.4 or so and you probably start reducing your chances, depending on your major and other activities on your application. Someone with a 3.8, and no significant volunteering or other experience on their application will have a much lower chance of getting in than someone with a 3.2 and a heavy application to back them up. Those with less than a 3.0 GPA probably had something else going for them, possibly a high MCAT.

http://opsa.tamu.edu/documents/Medchart10.pdf
http://opsa.tamu.edu/downloads/opgsa/Medchart09.pdf

Yeah, I've seen those. Some of those folks could also have a graduate degree, a post-bacc, or something else significant to compensate. But they are the exceptions to the rule. I found out today that someone, somewhere in the country got in with an 11 on the MCAT, and about 20 people across the country got in with a 2.50 or below sGPA last year.

Yea I figured that but still. Masters degrees are generally seen as an EC, right?

Hey guys,

I'm a reapplicant this cycle. I was wondering if I could use the same secondaries as I did last cycle (I didn't get any interviews, but I really like my previous secondaries). I might add or reword some things, but would this be okay?

Also, when entering things in TMDSAS is it okay if I leave the description boxes the same as last time.. since it's pretty much dates and brief descriptions??

I do plan on rewriting a personal statement though (UGHH, lol) :laugh:

Hey guys,

I'm a reapplicant this cycle. I was wondering if I could use the same secondaries as I did last cycle (I didn't get any interviews, but I really like my previous secondaries). I might add or reword some things, but would this be okay?

Also, when entering things in TMDSAS is it okay if I leave the description boxes the same as last time.. since it's pretty much dates and brief descriptions??

If you honestly feel it is the best answer to the question you can come up with, then don't change the content of the answer. You might want to rewrite the whole answer to say the same thing, just use more examples from your experiences to support your main idea.

Definitely rewrite the personal statement though, that's been a pretty consistent thing I've heard from several admissions folks and advisors.

Hey guys,

I think your question is a bit deeper than it seems. If you think you are a reapplicant because of anything in your application, you may want to rewrite some stuff. If not, maybe the essays will be just fine how they are.

For me, I changed my essays completely when I reapplied because I wanted them to see that a year makes a difference, even if it means rewriting essays with the exact same content.

I would make sure you are catering to each school when you write secondary essays. Show them you want to be at that particular school. Make them think that their school is the only one you would ever want to go to. Take time to browse around the school's website and get an idea of what they are all about. All schools are different and value different dynamics in their applicants.

Good luck!

Thanks for the responses guys!!

I believe I didn't get any interviews because of how late my application was submitted. I'm going to look over the secondaries, but I really think they reflect each school and they present me the way I want them to.

Do you think the schools will look down on me for this? I mean, would they have seen my secondary responses last year if they didn't even invite me for an interview? And if they did, would they care if the answers are the same/similar??

Thanks again guys!! SDN RULLLESS!! :)

Off the top of my head:
Tech: El Paso offers full tuition (15k) merit-based
UTSW offers 5/10/15k merit-based.
UTH only does need-based scholarships.

Anecdotal contradiction. I was offered a merit-based scholarship with my acceptance letter and, obviously, prior to submitting my financials.

I found out today that someone, somewhere in the country got in with an 11 on the MCAT, and about 20 people across the country got in with a 2.50 or below sGPA last year.

Wow, I think most people could make the same score by randomly guessing :confused:

Hey guys,

Question about adding the descriptions in TMDSAS... if I'm a member of some honors societies, do I need to put a lot in the description? Like, should I put the induction date, and what the organization is about? Or is that necessary?

Also, I read that TMDSAS wants us to duplicate entries if it falls under multiple categories. Is this true? And if so, would I put the same description both times, or change it up a little depending on the section it is under??

Last question. I tutored a lot during college, and I can't fit all of it in one description box. Should I make multiple entries? Like "College Tutoring - 1" and "College Tutoring - 2" etc...??? It's literally like 10 different classes.

I think I'm gonna be submitting this sucker around June 3rd... a bit late compared to all you other SDNers, but hopefully I'm still early for prematch interviews!! :)

My responses are in bold.

Hey guys,

Question about adding the descriptions in TMDSAS... if I'm a member of some honors societies, do I need to put a lot in the description? Like, should I put the induction date, and what the organization is about? Or is that necessary?

I think you should be very very comprehensive with the entire application. If they ask for a description, and you can think of one, I would put it. I think the only exception would be shadowing (you can't describe it much more than that).

Also, I read that TMDSAS wants us to duplicate entries if it falls under multiple categories. Is this true? And if so, would I put the same description both times, or change it up a little depending on the section it is under??

If the TMDSAS website says so, then I would duplicate things if they legitimately fall under more than one category. Don't stretch things just to fill space though. Everything on your application is fair game, and you don't want an interviewer asking what a summer sports camp had to do with healthcare experience.

Last question. I tutored a lot during college, and I can't fit all of it in one description box. Should I make multiple entries? Like "College Tutoring - 1" and "College Tutoring - 2" etc...??? It's literally like 10 different classes.

I would designate one spot for this initially. Enter everything else, and if you have room, you can make multiple spots for it. Remember, when you're filling out your app, you need to question why you are putting things. Does this or that activity have a purpose or a place in this section of the app? Does your description provide helpful information or are you just rambling? etc.

I think I'm gonna be submitting this sucker around June 3rd... a bit late compared to all you other SDNers, but hopefully I'm still early for prematch interviews!! :)

June 3 is not late. SDN'ers just try and make it sound like they're perfect. Remember, everyone on this website has a 4.0/40 and has their app complete in April. :rolleyes:

Anecdotal contradiction. I was offered a merit-based scholarship with my acceptance letter and, obviously, prior to submitting my financials.

It's quite possible I'm wrong - UTH is a little quiet about their scholarship money and how they disperse it (read: shady), but they ask for a lot of financial information on the application form and out of a good chunk of people that I've spoken to, none were offered a merit scholarship, including some who would seem to qualify as both merit-worthy and having financial need (like gpa=3.9 MCAT=39 family income <35,000/yr). They also said a few times that no scholarships were dispersed until the committee reviewed scholarship applications but it looks like that was BS too (wouldn't be the first time this year they essentially lied to interviewees).

So I guess change it to UTH - top secret :laugh:

It's quite possible I'm wrong - UTH is a little quiet about their scholarship money and how they disperse it (read: shady), but they ask for a lot of financial information on the application form and out of a good chunk of people that I've spoken to, none were offered a merit scholarship, including some who would seem to qualify as both merit-worthy and having financial need (like gpa=3.9 MCAT=39 family income <35,000/yr). They also said a few times that no scholarships were dispersed until the committee reviewed scholarship applications but it looks like that was BS too (wouldn't be the first time this year they essentially lied to interviewees).

have you got any financial aid info yet?

i mean the actual fin aid that youre going to get

have you got any financial aid info yet?

i mean the actual fin aid that youre going to get

Nope. Apparently it's because of the budget debacle, but I know some upper classmen have as well as people attending other state schools in TX, so :confused:.

Nope. Apparently it's because of the budget debacle, but I know some upper classmen have as well as people attending other state schools in TX, so :confused:.

same :confused:

I'm assuming that everyone filled out the scholarship application form, right? Perhaps one of the biggest reasons people usually aren't in the race for scholarships is because they are unaware that the form exists or think that they won't qualify and so don't bother to fill it in. Of course, there are no guarantees either way.

Hey guys,

Got a question about TMDSAS (this thread seems to be more active than the actual TMDSAS thread lol).

Is it true that TMDSAS wants us to duplicate activities which may fall under more than one category? For example... serving an officer position on an honors society would fall under academic recognition and leadership.

So if I were to enter an honors society description under the academic recognition, would I include my leadership in the description as well as the description under the "Leadership" section? Or would I make each description specific for the section that it's in.

Hope all that makes sense lol. Thanks for the help guys, I wanna get this suckah submitted by tomorrow!! :xf:

OK it's time to re-boot this thread. It's only 3 weeks until the pre-match, and I'm GETTING ANTSY!!

I interviewed at UTH, El Paso, and Lubbock. I liked all of them, I hope I pre-match at one of them!

Good luck, everyone!!

OK it's time to re-boot this thread. It's only 3 weeks until the pre-match, and I'm GETTING ANTSY!!

I interviewed at UTH, El Paso, and Lubbock. I liked all of them, I hope I pre-match at one of them!

Good luck, everyone!!

I vote that you start a new thread.