The Republic of Texas XXXIII: Lone Star State Pride

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If we are accepted to their medical school, they have only ever once seen a student not be accepted into the other program (MPh, MS or MBA - the med plus options) and they made it sound like the scholarship money they offer never has enough takers to be competitive. I realize it isn't totally guaranteed and it's a bit iffy, but that's the way they made it sound at the interview today, anyway.

Got ya. I believe it, since if you were competitive enough to get into their medical school then you wouldn't have trouble getting accepted for a masters program too.

Members don't see this ad.

idk about you all but at my interview day at A&M they basically told us they were having a bunch of problems with the MPH program and it wasn't working out with the students who were trying to do MD/MPH. It seemed very iffy.

UTHSCSA or A&M? A&M or UTHSCSA? Rankings are so hard. I'm really interested in infectious diseases (win UTHSCSA), public health (tie, but A&M will pay for it, BUT not an option in Round Rock, my top choice site, and will make you defer a year from starting medical school while UTHSCSA will do without delay but no scholarship), serving underserved populations (rural or international???), pediatrics (advantage A&M for their fabulous clinical sites), and being close to family (fiance in career in Austin, but could transfer to San Antonio a little unhappily, multiple close friends in San Antonio). I haven't even interviewed at Southwestern yet, only had four interviews, and am still undecided, not to mention a very exciting prematch at Foster. I thought the people were great at both, although one UTHSCSA interview was tough, and remember the great international experiences at UTHSCSA as being a real plus. I'd love to get anyone's thoughts on which program to rank first.

In this case, I would go to wherever is best for your fiancé, end of story! Both schools are great and you can't go wrong, so fiancé takes precedence!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with Earl - if all the factors are pretty similar at each of the schools, and it seems like they are overall, the support/proximity to fiancé would be instrumental if it were me

Last edited:
idk about you all but at my interview day at A&M they basically told us they were having a bunch of problems with the MPH program and it wasn't working out with the students who were trying to do MD/MPH. It seemed very iffy.
I heard it as an explanation for why they only have two tracks as options for the MPh, because the other ones that they used to have, the students had trouble finishing.

I heard it as an explanation for why they only have two tracks as options for the MPh, because the other ones that they used to have, the students had trouble finishing.

That's how I understood it as well. Tell your fiance to sit down and make the decision for both of you, easiest way.

Anybody know if there's any truth to this?

Top 15 Teaching Hospitals in U.S. (2 lists for comparison/different opinions)

35d955_534ba02c4aed4412968b8fb1f3e55837.jpg_512
35d955_397ac97d5e354ff3a74926846d324263.jpg_650

Lowest Scoring Teaching Hospitals in U.S. :

35d955_7ffd960b16aa4de795e223a173d48001.jpg_650

That's sort of unsettling for those of us considering TT Lubbock lol. No idea how accurate the lists are (even though there are a lot of measured variables posted), but they're obviously not just completely random either since the "top hospitals" list is believable. wtf UMC Lubbock?!

http://100tophospitals.com/portals/2/assets/100-Top-Study-March-2014.pdf
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine/2013/05/safety-still-lags-in-u-s-hospitals/index.htm

Last edited:
That's sort of unsettling for those of us considering TT Lubbock lol. No idea how accurate the lists are (even though there are a lot of measured variables posted), but they're obviously not just completely random either since the "top hospitals" list is believable. wtf UMC Lubbock?!

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine/2013/05/safety-still-lags-in-u-s-hospitals/index.htm

I'm an undergraduate at Texas Tech, and I have shadowed many physicians, worked, volunteered, and taken classes at the University Medical Center and TTUHSC (UMC and TTUHSC are separate entities but are attached to one another) in Lubbock. I haven't noticed any in particular that would make it a low-scoring teaching hospital, but then again I'm not a medical student or faculty member there. I can't really speak to the criteria that these studies and reports used, but I did not notice anything in particular that was really bad about UMC.

In other words, I'm not exactly qualified to speak to the quality of UMC as a teaching hospital compared to other teaching hospitals, but I will say that my experience with the hospital was an overall positive one.

Maybe we can have a current medical student at TTU Lubbock speak to the the quality of University Medical Center as a teaching hospital? Thanks!

Anybody know if there's any truth to this?

Top 15 Teaching Hospitals in U.S. (2 lists for comparison/different opinions)

35d955_534ba02c4aed4412968b8fb1f3e55837.jpg_512
35d955_397ac97d5e354ff3a74926846d324263.jpg_650

Lowest Scoring Teaching Hospitals in U.S. :

35d955_7ffd960b16aa4de795e223a173d48001.jpg_650

By looking through their method of rankings hospitals, it looks like a statistical measurement of a hospital's performance. Despite having a competent staff, hospitals can still have high mortality rates and readmission rates when compared to other US hospitals. Unfortunately, not all hospitals are created equal—the stats merely show a difference and, naturally, some will fall near the bottom.

In summary, UMC most likely suffers from factors that are unique to the area. When compared to other hospitals, UMC may appear worse. I grew up there and it is unfortunate to see the hospital ranked so low. It does a lot for the community. Remember, this is a very sick population that seeks medical care at the last minute—although I lack direct evidence, the population in West Texas presents many problems for the hospital.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
By looking through their method of rankings hospitals, it looks like a statistical measurement of a hospital's performance. Despite having a competent staff, hospitals can still have high mortality rates and readmission rates when compared to other US hospitals. Unfortunately, not all hospitals are created equal—the stats merely show a difference and, naturally, some will fall near the bottom.

In summary, UMC most likely suffers from factors that are unique to the area. When compared to other hospitals, UMC may appear worse. I grew up there and it is unfortunate to see the hospital ranked so low. It does a lot for the community. Remember, this is a very sick population that seeks medical care at the last minute—although I lack direct evidence, the population in West Texas presents many problems for the hospital.

I see what you're saying. Its just a little worrisome to see that's where many of us may spend 4 years of training, and even if it's not necessarily a bad hospital, but a bad TEACHING hospital, that's just as important for us in our time spent there. Unfortunately you need a paid subscription to get more info so I can't really look more into it, but for one of those aforementioned sources, the lowest ranked teaching hospitals were based off of "safety scores," which seem pretty standard and thus you would think no hospital should be scored THAT badly:

" Safety score: This is a summary of five categories that relate to hospital safety: avoiding infections, avoiding readmissions, communicating about medications and discharge, appropriate use of chest and abdominal scanning, and avoiding mortality (medical and surgical). The score is expressed on 100-point scale. A hospital would score a 100 if it earned the highest possible score in all measures and would score 1 if it earned the lowest scores in all measures. Each of the five domains (infections, readmissions, mortality, communication, scanning) are weighted equally. Each are worth 20 points out 100:

Hospital acquired infections. About 650,000 patients each year develop a hospital acquired infection. So, on any given day, about one of every 25 hospitalized patients are infected while in the hospital. The most common types of infections that patients get in the hospital are pneumonia and surgical site infections. About 12 percent of patients die in the hospital from the infections that they get while hospitalized.

Unnecessary readmissions. These are tied to patient safety in several important ways. First, any hospital admission has inherent risks, so a second admission exposes the patient to additional risk. Second, readmissions can be caused by something that went wrong during the initial discharge. Finally, readmissions can reflect errors in the initial admission.

Mortality. Some 440,000 hospital patients a year die at least in part because of preventable medical errors. Our Safety Score contains two measures of mortality: –mortality in patients with heart failure, heart attack, or pneumonia; and surgery patients.

Communication about new medication and discharge instructions. This is included because lack of communication about drugs can lead to their misuse and other errors. And lack of communication about discharge instructions can lead to errors in post-discharge care.

Appropriate use of scanning. This is included because double scans of the chest and abdomen are rarely necessary and unnecessarily expose patients to additional radiation. "

Is everyone getting close to making their final decisions? Only 9 more days!

I'm just ready to know! I'll honestly be happy at any of the schools I interviewed at I just want to know haha

Members don't see this ad :)
We will have to do the chat room on the night rankings are due and the morning matches come out!

Reactions: 3 users
Am i the only one that has a countdown on my laptop. T-20 days....

Reactions: 1 users
Submitted my ranking for the first time. Currently UTSW > UTH > UTMB > A&M > Tech, but I have a ton of thinking to do about whether I want to switch Galveston and Houston. At least I have a ranking submitted though!

Starting to get nervous. I know with 5 interviews I should match, but it's incredibly hard to go through this process without a pre-match.

What time on the 2nd do they release? I'm starting to work out the sort of partying between the Superbowl leading straight into the match.

What time on the 2nd do they release? I'm starting to work out the sort of partying between the Superbowl leading straight into the match.
"Results of medical school admissions match are announced at 8:00 AM (Central Time)"
https://www.tmdsas.com/deadlines.html
Although we might want to give it a minute or two with all the people checking at that moment.

The match does NOT apply to OOS applicants, correct?

Thanks,
Bill

Does anyone have any idea if UTSW actually matches anyone?

Last edited:
Does anyone have any idea if UTSW actually matches anyone? If not, I honestly dont get all the hype about the match for those that already have a prematch somewhere..
I've prematched, but not at my top choice (which isn't UTSW). I don't think its unreasonable for me to be excited at the prospect of finding out where I will likely be spending the next 4 years.

I've prematched, but not at my top choice (which isn't UTSW). I don't think its unreasonable for me to be excited at the prospect of finding out where I will likely be spending the next 4 years.

Sorry, I can see how my post came across as a little brash. Good luck to you and everyone else on February 2!

I know I'm really excited! I have a prematch, but not in an area that my fiance can come with me. I love the school I've prematched at and can't go wrong with any of my four schools, but getting placed at one of my top two would be enough to do triple axels for (and I've never been ice skating!). I can be a doctor AND live near/with my fiance???!!! What a great life!

Reactions: 3 users
Question: Am I crazy for wanting to rank UTH number one over UTSW? I know UTSW has the ranking and name recognition...also my mother went there...and they have great board scores not to mention P/F grading...but I just really feel at home with UTH and think I'll be happiest there! Input anyone?

Question: Am I crazy for wanting to rank UTH number one over UTSW? I know UTSW has the ranking and name recognition...also my mother went there...and they have great board scores not to mention P/F grading...but I just really feel at home with UTH and think I'll be happiest there! Input anyone?

If you're crazy, then so am I! I'm putting UTH first for the same exact reasons. Fit has always been my top criteria, much more than where a school ranks on the USNews research money list.

Not at all. In the end, you should go where you felt the most comfortable. You'll be spending an awful lot of time and money for the privilege.

If you're crazy, then so am I! I'm putting UTH first for the same exact reasons. Fit has always been my top criteria, much more than where a school ranks on the USNews research money list.
thank you!! Makes me feel so much better

Not at all. In the end, you should go where you felt the most comfortable. You'll be spending an awful lot of time and money for the privilege.
Thanks Claire! I know it's ultimately up to me, but it's always nice to get second opinions and make sure you're not a complete idiot lol

I did, and I don't regret my rankings for a second :).

You're definitely not crazy, people do it all the time. But I'm always wary of this feeling of a school's "fit" that people go on and on about. That feeling can absolutely be misleading based on the small subset of current students you get to interact with, the students who happen to be present at your interview day, and how good the admissions staff is at selling their school to you.

Now if you said something like 'I really love Houston', or 'I have close family/a significant other in the area and that's important to me', or a number of other personal reasons, I'd be right on board. But if your sole reason is because how the admissions staff/reps made you feel over a few hours one weekend, I'd be a little more wary of your choice, especially if you're making it in spite of preferring the more objective metrics of another school.

You're definitely not crazy, people do it all the time. But I'm always wary of this feeling of a school's "fit" that people go on and on about. That feeling can absolutely be misleading based on the small subset of current students you get to interact with, the students who happen to be present at your interview day, and how good the admissions staff is at selling their school to you.

Now if you said something like 'I really love Houston', or 'I have close family/a significant other in the area and that's important to me', or a number of other personal reasons, I'd be right on board. But if your sole reason is because how the admissions staff/reps made you feel over a few hours one weekend, I'd be a little more wary of your choice, especially if you're making it in spite of preferring the more objective metrics of another school.
Of course that's not my sole reason. And if I had just said "I really love Houston" like you said, that would be stupid too. I felt most comfortable at that interview with the students and faculty, I have friends that go there and love it, I have friends that go there and say "make sure you explore ALL of your options and I'm not going to tell you to come here just because I'm a student here," they score really well on STEP 1, I like the big city aspect, I like being away from home and creating my own identity outside of my mother's, who went to UTSW, I like the prospect of spending the next four years learning at the TMC, and I could go on and on but I think I've made my point.

Of course that's not my sole reason. And if I had just said "I really love Houston" like you said, that would be stupid too. I felt most comfortable at that interview with the students and faculty, I have friends that go there and love it, I have friends that go there and say "make sure you explore ALL of your options and I'm not going to tell you to come here just because I'm a student here," they score really well on STEP 1, I like the big city aspect, I like being away from home and creating my own identity outside of my mother's, who went to UTSW, I like the prospect of spending the next four years learning at the TMC, and I could go on and on but I think I've made my point.

That's good, sounds like you'll be happy there! I was only saying that I just don't really think people should judge how happy they think they'll be at a school based on how happy/comfortable they were during their interview. So many things factor into an interview day and it may or may not actually be an accurate representation of the school.

Oh man.... I'm sitting on pre-match offers from San Antonio and Houston and still can't decide how to rank them. Family is in San Antonio (saving roughly 40k in loans), but I really enjoyed my day in Houston.

Someone, win me over. Please.

So do you guys think it would be difficult to stay involved in campus organizations or clubs at the Texas schools that split up their class after 1st or 2nd year?

Oh man.... I'm sitting on pre-match offers from San Antonio and Houston and still can't decide how to rank them. Family is in San Antonio (saving roughly 40k in loans), but I really enjoyed my day in Houston.

Someone, win me over. Please.

Do you want to stay at home? Or are you saying cost of living in SA alone is $40k cheaper for you? How much does UTH's curriculum and exam schedule deter you, if at all?

I just wanted to point out the data to those hesitant applying to “primary care mission” schools and those that fear they wouldn’t match somewhere competitive/be forced into primary care if they went there. Not that it’s a bad mission in the least – and mission is very important, but I was told by some before applying this cycle to “strongly consider” against applying to some of these “primary care mission” schools – which is completely ridiculous looking at match lists, and wanted to show them data. Assuming around the number matriculated to each school is somewhat close to those that matched (ie nobody dropped out/failed to match – or if match lists specify the total # of students matched in 2014), here are the percentage of students matching into primary care fields (FM, IM, Pediatrics, OB/GYN). Note: some places consider OB/GYN a primary care field and others don’t, which is why USNWR percentages may be different, but for sake of comparison and since some schools don’t have data posted there. Pretty surprising:

School - (students in PC/total) - % matched to PC

TCOM - 64% (not including ob/gyn)
UTSA - - 102/212 = 48% - - USMLE Step 1: 225/97% 1st time pass (2013)
UTSW - - 110/230 = 47% - -USMLE Step 1: 236/99% 1st time pass
TTL - - - - 69/150 = 46% - - USMLE Step 1: ~231/99% 1st time pass
A&M - - - -70/156 = 44% - - USMLE Step 1: 228/99% 1st time pass
Baylor - - -70/179 = 39% - - USMLE Step 1: 240/99% 1st time pass
TTEP - - - - 20/53 = 38% - - USMLE Step 1: 235/? 97-100 % 1st time pass @Gooby ?
UTMB - - 88/230 = 38% - - USMLE Step 1: 230/96% 1st time pass (2012)
UT-H - - -80/234 = 34% - - USMLE Step 1: 233/97% 1st time pass

For comparison, USNWR “Which schools turn out the most primary care residents?” ranking ranges from 28-80% (Duke to MSU DO), though it doesn’t include OB/GYN so they would be even higher – and a few schools don’t publish data to their site.

Bottom line: do NOT let a “primary care mission” school deter you from applying (as some people suggested I do) if you think you’ll be forced into it or have any false presumptions about school's missions/ability to match, they’re all great schools with great match lists - different missions and all. Also, USMLE Step 1 and % pass should clearly not be a decisive factor.

Also, incase anybody wanted to see any of the match lists:

https://med.uth.edu/wildart/match-day-results/
http://www.utmb.edu/news/article5692.aspx
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...ine-application-thread.1073976/#post-15398708
http://elpaso.ttuhsc.edu/fostersom/studentaffairs/documents/2014_Match_Day_Results.pdf
http://www.ttuhsc.edu/som/studentaffairs/msiv/documents/match_list_2014.pdf
http://www.hsc.unt.edu/news/newsrelease.cfm?ID=1436
http://som.uthscsa.edu/OfficeofPrograms/documents/2013matchday.pdf
Not sure if A&M's is online but they give it to you during interview day - I can post if anybody wants to see it.

Edit: Added USMLE Step 1 scores and first-time pass rates for this cycle and next to see them all side by side, feel free to correct/provide links to updated data. Not all schools publish this data online nor at interview day, so either interview day data, individual school's websites, or US News and World Report was used.

Anyone else impressed by Texas Tech Paul L. Foster in El Paso? Especially considering that their average MCAT score is below a 30 (and UTSW and Baylor's average MCAT scores are ~35).

Anyone else impressed by Texas Tech Paul L. Foster in El Paso? Especially considering that their average MCAT score is below a 30 (and UTSW and Baylor's average MCAT scores are ~35).

TT Foster is very impressive. However I think if you were to "average" most people's rankings they posted here so far, and the city that each school is in, it would be something along the lines of:

1. Dallas or Houston
2. Dallas or Houston
3. Houston
4. San Antonio
5. Galveston - (with Austin/Houston) OR B/CS - (with Dallas/Houston/Round Rock/Temple)
6. B/CS - (with Dallas/Houston/Round Rock/Temple) OR Galveston - (with Austin/Houston)
7. Lubbock - (with Permian Basin/Amarillo)
8. El Paso

Seems like 4-6 all vary depending on the person, but you get the trend? haha not saying people put location above everything else, but I think because every school is great then this is the trend we see.

Last edited:
So do you guys think it would be difficult to stay involved in campus organizations or clubs at the Texas schools that split up their class after 1st or 2nd year?

Yeah I think that would be tough. Clubs, friends, study groups, support services, etc.

TTEP is an amazing school. In fact, if I weren't engaged to a man who can't move to El Paso, I'd really have to consider it one of my top choices too.

TTEP is an amazing school. In fact, if I weren't engaged to a man who can't move to El Paso, I'd really have to consider it one of my top choices too.
You are incredibly lucky you have a chance to stay near your fiance. Mine is all the way in Florida for optometry school. Though I am still waiting to hear from some Florida schools, I will probably end up staying in Texas. Long distance is incredibly hard on top of studying for professional school. So just make sure ya'll never take each other for granted :happy:

lol its your preference man, if you like every about UTH more, then rank it above UTSW, its your decision. stand by it, dont let sdn sway you either way. If UTH fits your needs best, then UTH is the best pick for you? lol

I'm having some trouble locating some information online or through searching the forum, any help would be appreciated.

First, can anyone find the Manziel School of Medicine's match list (TAMU)? I keep searching it and the top result is almost always TTUHSC's matches, which is not exactly what I need.

Second, and this may be a bit more, does anyone have a compiled list of match scores for the Texas schools?

I'm having a tough time figuring out my rankings between TTEP, UTHSCSA, and A&M. A bit of objective numbers might be a bit more helpful than my fretting.

Thanks

Do you want to stay at home? Or are you saying cost of living in SA alone is $40k cheaper for you? How much does UTH's curriculum and exam schedule deter you, if at all?

I would be staying at home, which isn't as bad as some people make it out to be. And I'm not too, too scared of the block weeks over at Houston, I actually think I strive under pressure (to a certain extent).

I think it's important to look at the school and how well you'll fit there for the next four years instead of where your family is! From what I've heard about UTH, it's a really amazing school, and you'll make up that 40k in a year once you've got that MD!

Plus, H-Town rocks ;)

Haha, believe me, I know H-town gets live. I honestly see myself being incredibly happy regardless of whichever I choose.

Blehhhh, this is the worst-best problem to have.

I'm having some trouble locating some information online or through searching the forum, any help would be appreciated.

First, can anyone find the Manziel School of Medicine's match list (TAMU)? I keep searching it and the top result is almost always TTUHSC's matches, which is not exactly what I need.

Second, and this may be a bit more, does anyone have a compiled list of match scores for the Texas schools?

I'm having a tough time figuring out my rankings between TTEP, UTHSCSA, and A&M. A bit of objective numbers might be a bit more helpful than my fretting.

Thanks

This post has a lot of info you're looking for I think:

I just wanted to point out the data to those hesitant applying to “primary care mission” schools and those that fear they wouldn’t match somewhere competitive/be forced into primary care if they went there. Not that it’s a bad mission in the least – and mission is very important, but I was told by some before applying this cycle to “strongly consider” against applying to some of these “primary care mission” schools – which is completely ridiculous looking at match lists, and wanted to show them data. Assuming around the number matriculated to each school is somewhat close to those that matched (ie nobody dropped out/failed to match – or if match lists specify the total # of students matched in 2014), here are the percentage of students matching into primary care fields (FM, IM, Pediatrics, OB/GYN). Note: some places consider OB/GYN a primary care field and others don’t, which is why USNWR percentages may be different, but for sake of comparison and since some schools don’t have data posted there. Pretty surprising:

School - (students in PC/total) - % matched to PC

TCOM - 64% (not including ob/gyn)
UTSA - - 102/212 = 48% - - USMLE Step 1: 225/97% 1st time pass (2013)
UTSW - - 110/230 = 47% - -USMLE Step 1: 236/99% 1st time pass
TTL - - - - 69/150 = 46% - - USMLE Step 1: ~231/99% 1st time pass
A&M - - - -70/156 = 44% - - USMLE Step 1: 228/99% 1st time pass
Baylor - - -70/179 = 39% - - USMLE Step 1: 240/99% 1st time pass
TTEP - - - - 20/53 = 38% - - USMLE Step 1: 235/? 97-100 % 1st time pass @Gooby ?
UTMB - - 88/230 = 38% - - USMLE Step 1: 230/96% 1st time pass (2012)
UT-H - - -80/234 = 34% - - USMLE Step 1: 233/97% 1st time pass

For comparison, USNWR “Which schools turn out the most primary care residents?” ranking ranges from 28-80% (Duke to MSU DO), though it doesn’t include OB/GYN so they would be even higher – and a few schools don’t publish data to their site.

Bottom line: do NOT let a “primary care mission” school deter you from applying (as some people suggested I do) if you think you’ll be forced into it or have any false presumptions about school's missions/ability to match, they’re all great schools with great match lists - different missions and all. Also, USMLE Step 1 and % pass should clearly not be a decisive factor.

Also, incase anybody wanted to see any of the match lists:

https://med.uth.edu/wildart/match-day-results/
http://www.utmb.edu/news/article5692.aspx
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...ine-application-thread.1073976/#post-15398708
http://elpaso.ttuhsc.edu/fostersom/studentaffairs/documents/2014_Match_Day_Results.pdf
http://www.ttuhsc.edu/som/studentaffairs/msiv/documents/match_list_2014.pdf
http://www.hsc.unt.edu/news/newsrelease.cfm?ID=1436
http://som.uthscsa.edu/OfficeofPrograms/documents/2013matchday.pdf
Not sure if A&M's is online but they give it to you during interview day - I can post if anybody wants to see it.

Edit: Added USMLE Step 1 scores and first-time pass rates for this cycle and next to see them all side by side, feel free to correct/provide links to updated data. Not all schools publish this data online nor at interview day, so either interview day data, individual school's websites, or US News and World Report was used.