The Republic of Texas XXXIV: Whoever doesn't like Whataburger needs to leave

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Make Or Break

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why hasn't one of these been started yet? The application opened up yesterday people!!

cVoQXac.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
In! First post! Going to UTHSCSA next year!

Reactions: 1 user
Holy crap, can't believe it's already that time again! Best of luck to all the applicants!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everybody! Hoping for some TCOM love.

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone else curious why the the tmdsas application wants to know your parents birth county? I had to call them up yesterday to ask, I knew the states but not cities/counties. PS: Good luck to everyone this cycle, especially since the MCAT score release dates are going to delay a lot of our apps this year.

Hard to fathom the next cycle has begun while this one still hasn't ended for many.

Reactions: 10 users
Best of luck to everyone! 3.6/29 applicant here. Applying to all 8 on the TMDSAS agenda. Probably won't to Baylor. Doubt I have a shot at UTSW. Mostly looking at TTU, A&M, etc as my range. Will be applying as soon as Spring grades are in.

I was hoping someone (else) would start this ;)

I'm in! Very excited and look forward to seeing where we all end up.

Reactions: 1 users
Good luck to all the applicants!

Good luck to everyone applying this cycle!! Good things will happen to all of you, dont stress too much and just enjoy the next super exciting months!

I'm OOS and have virtually no chance but you can't beat good old Texas and it's great weather and tuition!

Whenever you guys can get to it I have a question already for the planned activities section. I'm entering a gap year and have not found full-time employment yet but I'm constantly applying for Lab/research jobs for this year. Can I put that under "planned activites" or is that for only concrete already set plans?
That will work. It's for what you plan to do.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh and the personal characteristics essay is now mandatory? I thought that there was always just a personal statement and 2 optional essays?

Yeah I noticed that too. But I think it'll actually work to my advantage, because I know of one secondary that has basically the same question.

Anyone taking the June MCAT and applying TMDSAS? Hoping it won't delay my app too much!

Anyone taking the June MCAT and applying TMDSAS? Hoping it won't delay my app too much!

Dont worry about it. Seriously. I didn't send my secondaries in until the first 2 weeks of July, and ended up interviewing/accepted at most of the Texas schools including Baylor and UTSW. You might see some of your friends getting interviews before you, but interviews continue going out into December, and interviewing a little later wont affect your chances of getting in. Just have your secondaries ready to submit as soon as you get that score back! You could pre-write them once someone posts the prompts on the school-specific threads.

This thread already - the carousel never stops turning! I'm getting antsy about starting med school in the fall and y'all are starting to apply. Good luck to all applicants, I expect to see many of you at your interview days.

Turn your application in ASAP. It doesn't have to have your MCAT to be complete, and the sooner it's verified, the better.

Turn your application in ASAP. It doesn't have to have your MCAT to be complete, and the sooner it's verified, the better.

I'm planning on submitting around June 1st. That should give me a big enough buffer to be verified by the time my MCAT scores are released July 21st, right?

This thread already - the carousel never stops turning! I'm getting antsy about starting med school in the fall and y'all are starting to apply. Good luck to all applicants, I expect to see many of you at your interview days.
I spy with my wee little eye a fellow Grey's fan

I'm planning on submitting around June 1st. That should give me a big enough buffer to be verified by the time my MCAT scores are released July 21st, right?

Yeah I think you're good then

So, TMDSAS tells us not to include minor traffic violations, but I guess we need to include them for AMCAS. Correct me if i'm wrong, but minor violations in the state of Texas are Class C misdemeanors. I got a speeding ticket once and then another one for failing to yield on turning right on a red. I included both.....

any other info on this or am I on the right track?

I had speeding tickets on my AMCAS app, but not TMDSAS, when I applied this past cycle. It's meaningless and they won't care, you just still need to divulge.

I had speeding tickets on my AMCAS app, but not TMDSAS, when I applied this past cycle. It's meaningless and they won't care, you just still need to divulge.
Thank you!

Ugh and we could have done so much better this year if it wasn't for Rajon Rondo...

Ugh and we could have done so much better this year if it wasn't for Rajon Rondo...

Let's be honest, the real travesty is that the Spurs are out and now we have to watch the Houston garbage fire.

Don't even get me started on rondo.... But at least the Spurs lost and hopefully the clips knock out Houston! For next year, bring lamarcus back home! And Ty Lawson.

Let's be honest, the real travesty is that the Spurs are out and now we have to watch the Houston garbage fire.

Haha I will say it is extremely satisfying to watch the Rockettes play like complete garbage in the 2nd round. And as a mavs fan, it's kind of great that the spurs didn't advance this year. That fact coupled with the possible retirement of Manu and TD means Aldridge is much more likely to come over and join the good guys in Dallas :)

Don't even get me started on rondo.... But at least the Spurs lost and hopefully the clips knock out Houston! For next year, bring lamarcus back home! And Ty Lawson.

And Deandre Jordan! If we get at least 2/3 of those guys, get Parsons healthy and resign Aminu/TC then I think we can contend next year.

Still not sure what to do about Monta though...you think we should keep him or let him walk? It would be cool if we can pull of a S&T to get Lawson by offering Ellis. I feel like it's one or the other, since we've seen what happens when you have a starting backcourt with an average height of 6 foot...

Just got notified that TMDSAS transmitted my app to schools. I just submitted on Sunday. That was way faster than I thought it would be!

Haha I will say it is extremely satisfying to watch the Rockettes play like complete garbage in the 2nd round. And as a mavs fan, it's kind of great that the spurs didn't advance this year. That fact coupled with the possible retirement of Manu and TD means Aldridge is much more likely to come over and join the good guys in Dallas :)

And Deandre Jordan! If we get at least 2/3 of those guys, get Parsons healthy and resign Aminu/TC then I think we can contend next year.

Still not sure what to do about Monta though...you think we should keep him or let him walk? It would be cool if we can pull of a S&T to get Lawson by offering Ellis. I feel like it's one or the other, since we've seen what happens when you have a starting backcourt with an average height of 6 foot...

Agreed on re-signing TC and aminu. even though I like Deandre, he's a liability in the final few mins as we saw him pulled last game bc his FT %. I'd rather not spend a ton of money on someone who cant play in the clutch bc of shooting or FT's (freakin rondo too). I think monta is gone unfortunately bc he'll want more money. If we signed LA, Ty Lawson, and a decent SG we would be set, but idk what we could trade to get Ty.

Just got notified that TMDSAS transmitted my app to schools. I just submitted on Sunday. That was way faster than I thought it would be!

+1! Waaaay faster than I anticipated!

This is so surreal seeing apps being transmitted to schools!! I wish everyone the best of luck. The year will be both the slowest and fastest of your life, at least it was for me haha

Reactions: 3 users
Agreed on re-signing TC and aminu. even though I like Deandre, he's a liability in the final few mins as we saw him pulled last game bc his FT %. I'd rather not spend a ton of money on someone who cant play in the clutch bc of shooting or FT's (freakin rondo too). I think monta is gone unfortunately bc he'll want more money. If we signed LA, Ty Lawson, and a decent SG we would be set, but idk what we could trade to get Ty.

Yeah TY isn't a free agent so we'd have to do a S&T, unless he gets waived but I doubt that happens.

And I think we should go after DJ, hard. Having Tyson and DJ would be the best center rotation in the NBA, which would be a nice change of pace for us considering how ****ty that position has been over the years. Most bigs cant shoot FTs, and honestly they're probably going to change the hack-a rules anyways after this offseason which would shoot his value way up. Not to mention the cap goes up in 2016, so an 18m/y contract wont seem as large then.

If we get lamarcus and DJ, I dont even give a damn who we play at point. I think with a line up like this, we're making noise in the playoffs.

Barea/Harris/Felton
Afflalo/Harris
Parsons/Aminu
LMA/dirk/Charlie
DJ/Tyson

Edit: just looked at a list of upcoming free agents this summer. If LMA falls through, we could let monta, Tyson, Felton and rondo walk, and throw everything we have at DJ, with the remainder on Danny green, Brandon knight, and aminu. If we keep stoudamire on the MLE and pick up a guy like dalembert on a minimum contract, we end up with:

knight/barea/Harris
Green/Harris
Chandler/aminu
Dirk/amare/charlie
DJ/dalembert

If we can somehow s&t monta and Felton for Lawson, you replace Lawson with knight on that lineup and it looks even better.

I think that lineup kicks ass and would be even better than getting Aldridge.

Any opinions haha?

Last edited:
I just realized my friend that edited my essay added "Remember the Alamo" to one of my essays.... I didn't catch it.

Whoops.

Yeah TY isn't a free agent so we'd have to do a S&T, unless he gets waived but I doubt that happens.

And I think we should go after DJ, hard. Having Tyson and DJ would be the best center rotation in the NBA, which would be a nice change of pace for us considering how ****ty that position has been over the years. Most bigs cant shoot FTs, and honestly they're probably going to change the hack-a rules anyways after this offseason which would shoot his value way up. Not to mention the cap goes up in 2016, so an 18m/y contract wont seem as large then.

If we get lamarcus and DJ, I dont even give a damn who we play at point. I think with a line up like this, we're making noise in the playoffs.

Barea/Harris/Felton
Afflalo/Harris
Parsons/Aminu
LMA/dirk/Charlie
DJ/Tyson

Edit: just looked at a list of upcoming free agents this summer. If LMA falls through, we could let monta, Tyson, Felton and rondo walk, and throw everything we have at DJ, with the remainder on Danny green, Brandon knight, and aminu. If we keep stoudamire on the MLE and pick up a guy like dalembert on a minimum contract, we end up with:

knight/barea/Harris
Green/Harris
Chandler/aminu
Dirk/amare/charlie
DJ/dalembert

If we can somehow s&t monta and Felton for Lawson, you replace Lawson with knight on that lineup and it looks even better.

I think that lineup kicks ass and would be even better than getting Aldridge.

Any opinions haha?
Loving the Mavs talk that just broke out!

Got to say that we need to get younger across the board. I think a healthy and fresh Parsons will help.

I think DeAndre would be an incredible add. Even if you give him the max, the salary cap is going up anyway. He's so worth it. He's a big defensive presence, no offensive needs...he's a younger version of Tyson no doubt. I don't know about continuing with Tyson other than as a back up. He's an injury away from being done.

As for the guard situation, we might lose Monta and that might be okay. We need bigger guards. Guys like Devin, JJ, and Monta at the 2 is just not going to cut it on the defensive end. Must keep and further develop Aminu.

A guy like Jimmy Butler would be incredible...but doubt it since he's a RFA.

It's going to be another interesting offseason, that's for sure.

Loving the Mavs talk that just broke out!

Got to say that we need to get younger across the board. I think a healthy and fresh Parsons will help.

I think DeAndre would be an incredible add. Even if you give him the max, the salary cap is going up anyway. He's so worth it. He's a big defensive presence, no offensive needs...he's a younger version of Tyson no doubt. I don't know about continuing with Tyson other than as a back up. He's an injury away from being done.

As for the guard situation, we might lose Monta and that might be okay. We need bigger guards. Guys like Devin, JJ, and Monta at the 2 is just not going to cut it on the defensive end. Must keep and further develop Aminu.

A guy like Jimmy Butler would be incredible...but doubt it since he's a RFA.

It's going to be another interesting offseason, that's for sure.

Haha yeah living in LA doesn't really give me the opportunity to talk to anyone about this! I swear if I have to hear how awesome the clippers are one more time..I'm gonna lose it haha.

But yes. I think we should definitely let go of monta, and try to get more a defensive identity going next season. Getting DJ would be a good start , along with swapping monta for a defensive 2 like Danny green or Wes Matthews.

We're fine at the 3 with parsons and aminu. I would honestly be okay with letting parsons go, but I doubt any other team will trade for him with that monster contract.

The rest of our money can go towards getting a suitable point and another PF. George hill might be a nice, cheap addition. We could even resign Wright to play backup to dirk and DJ.

Do you think there's any shot LMA chooses mavs over the spurs? He is from dallas...but I think that's basically the only thing going for us. No doubt the spurs are a better team.

That might change if we get DJ though...

Haha yeah living in LA doesn't really give me the opportunity to talk to anyone about this! I swear if I have to hear how awesome the clippers are one more time..I'm gonna lose it haha.

But yes. I think we should definitely let go of monta, and try to get more a defensive identity going next season. Getting DJ would be a good start , along with swapping monta for a defensive 2 like Danny green or Wes Matthews.

We're fine at the 3 with parsons and aminu. I would honestly be okay with letting parsons go, but I doubt any other team will trade for him with that monster contract.

The rest of our money can go towards getting a suitable point and another PF. George hill might be a nice, cheap addition. We could even resign Wright to play backup to dirk and DJ.

Do you think there's any shot LMA chooses mavs over the spurs? He is from dallas...but I think that's basically the only thing going for us. No doubt the spurs are a better team.

That might change if we get DJ though...

I would make LMA priority #1, though I would be ecstatic to get DJ also. Tyson Chandler might not be a DJ but he averaged a double-double this year so I don't think we HAVE to replace him. If we somehow got both......:bow:. I agree on being content with letting Monta go, I've heard a lot of danny green and matthews talk. Personally, if we couldn't get both, what about:

Bknight??/Harris/JJ
Wes Matthews/Harris
Parsons/Aminu
LMA/Dirk
TChandler/Amare

But if we end up with the first starting 5 list you posted earlier, I couldn't be happier. I actually really like the 2nd list you posted also. I agree 100% we need to focus on defense though. Mavs averaged 2nd most pts in the NBA so clearly scoring isn't an issue. It would also be really interesting if Monta decided to stay for decent $, we moved him to the 1 spot, and just signed a defensive SG who can hit 3's. ( ie DeShawn Stevenson in 2011 lol)

@texan2414, from the school-specific threads it seems like you got some good info from a pre-med symposium this year. Anything worth sharing, if you care to do so?

@texan2414, from the school-specific threads it seems like you got some good info from a pre-med symposium this year. Anything worth sharing, if you care to do so?
Absolutely - I went to Texas A&M and UTMB symposiums this spring.

• For those taking the 2015 MCAT, Dr. Rabek verbally said that a score of 505 is considered competitive. So take 505 to be a 30!!!
  • The Clinical Skills and Simulation center at Texas A&M is just amazing. I was an SMDEP student at UT Houston and visited their sim center as well but Texas A&M blows it out of the park!!! We got to see OR sim rooms, nursery, geriatric rooms, etc. Also TAMU has a ton of individual, patient rooms for practicing clinical skills with standardized patients.
  • UTMB has consistently produced high Step 1 averages and it is exclusively due to the half-day schedule. Almost everyone at the student panel reflected on this and for those of you non-trads applying, you will find UTMB's half day schedule to be a blessing!!! Though I am not a non-trad myself, but I met many med students who were parents and they looked really happy to be there.
  • UTMB is also in middle of a construction of a new hospital - so that expands opportunities on the island.
  • Texas A&M Bryan campus is also building a new Gross lab (I believe to be done by 2016).
  • The atmosphere at A&M was also one of the most relaxed I have ever seen. I got an opportunity to meet with Dr. Filo Maldonado (assist dean of admissions) and Wanda (director of admissions) and they were really nice and welcoming. The classroom we were sitting in had individual microphone stations that you can go tap into to ask your questions during a lecture, along with video cameras that can be zoomed in on you. Really tech-savvy classes :)
  • At both UTMB and Texas A&M, the importance of personal statement was grounded in me through advice and recommendations. It is a very important component of your application and can sometimes supercede a low MCAT / low GPA if your personal statement stands out, they will give you an interview!!!
  • Dr. Rabek also commented a bit on graduate programs and SMPs. UTMB from the looks of it prefers SMP over post-bacc classes to raise GPA. Another important question he said applicants should ask is if you have to take grad/post-bacc courses to raise GPA, how many? If you are aiming to raise a 3.1 to 3.8, that's really impractical. So make decisions based on practicality rather than end goal.
  • I also asked a question about MCAT retakes and at both schools, they take the most recent score into consideration. There doesn't seem to be any retake stigma. However, if your score goes down, that is a huge red flag.
I would attend any of these schools in a heart beat. You literally can't go wrong anywhere in TX (yes, including TCOM). I wish everyone the best as they prepare to submit their applications for EY2016 cycle.

Reactions: 5 users
Wow, thank you so much Texan! (When do we start having nicknames for each other? I am not up to date on forum etiquette :p) So much good info. I am seriously so excited about each of these schools. Hoping all of us get some Texas love :highfive:

Wow, thank you so much Texan! (When do we start having nicknames for each other? I am not up to date on forum etiquette :p) So much good info. I am seriously so excited about each of these schools. Hoping all of us get some Texas love :highfive:
Lol I hope to get to know a lot of people from this thread! Who knows they could be classmates too!!!

Lol I hope to get to know a lot of people from this thread! Who knows they could be classmates too!!!

That's how I feel, too! I wasn't on SDN much before the last few months, but it seems like some good friendships cultivated in the Class of 2019 and previous Republic of Texas threads. I also don't have a terribly large circle of friends who are in or have been in the same position, so I'm super glad this thread is here.

On that note and in an attempt to pretend I actually have something to add to the sports discussion above, consider the following:
Genetic engineers at Johns Hopkins University announce that they have developed a so-called "super gorilla." Though the animal cannot speak, it has a sign language lexicon of over twelve thousand words, an I.Q. of almost 85, and--most notably--a vague sense of self-awareness. Oddly, the creature (who weighs seven hundred pounds) becomes fascinated by football. The gorilla aspires to play the game at its highest level and quickly develops the rudimentary skills of a defensive end. ESPN analyst Tom Jackson speculates that this gorilla would be "borderline unblockable" and would likely average six sacks a game (although Jackson concedes the beast might be susceptible to counters and misdirection plays). Meanwhile, the gorilla has made it clear he would never intentionally injure any opponent.
You are commissioner of the NFL: Would you allow this gorilla to sign with the Oakland Raiders?
(Source: Chuck Klosterman's The 23 Questions I Ask Everybody I Meet In Order To Decide If I Can Really Love Them)

@texan2414 good info! Just to inform, A&M's new anatomy lab building will be finished shortly actually! (This summer in 2015)

@SweetCaroline7 LOL. the commissioner already allowed this "super gorilla" to play, and his name is JJ Watt.

Posting 2014 data for new applicants:

School - (students matching to PrimaryCare/total) = % matched to PC--LizzyM (GPA, MCAT) for matriculants (which will be different than MSAR stats which only shows accepted averages):

TCOM - 64% PC (without ob/gyn)-- 64 (3.6, 28) USMLE Step 1: 214/90% 1st time pass (have high COMLEX)
UTSA - - 102/212 = 48% PC - - -69.1 (3.73, 31.8) USMLE Step 1: 225/97% 1st time pass (2013)
UTSW - - 110/230 = 47% PC- --72.4 (3.85, 33.9) USMLE Step 1: 236/99% 1st time pass
TTL - - - - 69/150 = 46% PC- - -67.5 (3.65, 31.0) USMLE Step 1: 231/99% 1st time pass
A&M - - - -70/156 = 44% PC- - -66.7 (3.66, 30.1) USMLE Step 1: 228/99% 1st time pass
Baylor - - -70/179 = 39% PC- - -73.4 (3.84, 35.0) USMLE Step 1: 240/99% 1st time pass
TTEP - - - - 20/53 = 38% PC- - -64.8 (3.60, 28.8)USMLE Step 1: 235/? 97-100 % 1st time pass
UTMB - - 88/230 = 38% PC- - -67.7 (3.87, 29.0) USMLE Step 1: 230/96% 1st time pass (2012)
UT-H - - -80/234 = 34% PC- - -69.3 (3.76, 31.7) USMLE Step 1: 233/97% 1st time pass

Also, incase anybody wanted to see any of the match lists:

https://med.uth.edu/wildart/match-day-results/
http://www.utmb.edu/news/article5692.aspx
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...ine-application-thread.1073976/#post-15398708
http://elpaso.ttuhsc.edu/fostersom/studentaffairs/documents/2014_Match_Day_Results.pdf
http://www.ttuhsc.edu/som/studentaffairs/msiv/documents/match_list_2014.pdf
http://www.hsc.unt.edu/news/newsrelease.cfm?ID=1436
http://som.uthscsa.edu/OfficeofPrograms/documents/2013matchday.pdf
Not sure if A&M's is online but they give it to you during interview day

Last edited:
Posting 2014 data for new applicants:

School - (students matching to PrimaryCare/total) = % matched to PC--LizzyM (GPA, MCAT) for matriculants (which will be different than MSAR stats which only shows accepted averages):

TCOM - 64% PC (without ob/gyn)-- 64 (3.6, 28) USMLE Step 1: 214/90% 1st time pass (have high COMLEX)
UTSA - - 102/212 = 48% PC - - -69.1 (3.73, 31.8) USMLE Step 1: 225/97% 1st time pass (2013)
UTSW - - 110/230 = 47% PC- --72.4 (3.85, 33.9) USMLE Step 1: 236/99% 1st time pass
TTL - - - - 69/150 = 46% PC- - -67.5 (3.65, 31.0) USMLE Step 1: 231/99% 1st time pass
A&M - - - -70/156 = 44% PC- - -66.7 (3.66, 30.1) USMLE Step 1: 228/99% 1st time pass
Baylor - - -70/179 = 39% PC- - -73.4 (3.84, 35.0) USMLE Step 1: 240/99% 1st time pass
TTEP - - - - 20/53 = 38% PC- - -64.8 (3.60, 28.8)USMLE Step 1: 235/? 97-100 % 1st time pass
UTMB - - 88/230 = 38% PC- - -67.7 (3.87, 29.0) USMLE Step 1: 230/96% 1st time pass (2012)
UT-H - - -80/234 = 34% PC- - -69.3 (3.76, 31.7) USMLE Step 1: 233/97% 1st time pass

Also, incase anybody wanted to see any of the match lists:

https://med.uth.edu/wildart/match-day-results/
http://www.utmb.edu/news/article5692.aspx
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...ine-application-thread.1073976/#post-15398708
http://elpaso.ttuhsc.edu/fostersom/studentaffairs/documents/2014_Match_Day_Results.pdf
http://www.ttuhsc.edu/som/studentaffairs/msiv/documents/match_list_2014.pdf
http://www.hsc.unt.edu/news/newsrelease.cfm?ID=1436
http://som.uthscsa.edu/OfficeofPrograms/documents/2013matchday.pdf
Not sure if A&M's is online but they give it to you during interview day

I'm surprised UTSW's primary care percentage is so high!

I'm surprised UTSW's primary care percentage is so high!

Yeah, though it's not a bad thing. I just wanted to provide the data for those wary of attending a "primary care mission school" vs "research-oriented school." Where you ultimately end up is pretty comparable no matter which school you end up at in TX, fortunately!

Yeah, though it's not a bad thing. I just wanted to provide the data for those wary of attending a "primary care mission school" vs "research-oriented school." Where you ultimately end up is pretty comparable no matter which school you end up at in TX, fortunately!
A lot of the GPA/MCAT are outdated it seems on your list - Have you looked at the TAAHCP Report that was released earlier this year? It does have duplicated statistics but the numbers are probably not that far off from the report.