The Rise of Disability in America

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
this is like the constant battle I have with workman's comp patients.
They hurt their back , they come to me, I put them on restrictions and send them back, and they argue with me that i need to take them completely off.

I used to take them off when I first started, but then I could never get them to go back to work.
Maybe if you can park in the parking lot and walk into the court and stand before a judge, you are disqualified from applying for disability.

Members don't see this ad :)
Of the 10 states with the most disability per capita, 8 of them are have the least income in the US per capita.

I believe this is an old story from NPR. Heard it a couple of years ago. Very scary. SSD should almost never be permanent and should have job retraining as part of it. Depression, Bipolar, boo-boos,... its out of control. The worst is SSD for children. Parents want their child to be disable so they can get a check for them too. This is going to be a multi generational problem and NO ONE is talking about it.

Reactions: 1 user
Of the 10 states with the most disability per capita, 8 of them are have the least income in the US per capita.

True. We should return a few southern states back to the Confederacy.

Another idea would be to force states to pay a percentage of the money for their state resident on disability so states aren't incentivized to coerce their welfare patients to become federally disabled, as described in the article.

The problem is its all built on the ponzi scheme that is social security, a federal program. Its not really federal money, since it is supposed to be a separate pot, but it was never intended to be used the way it is and no on is trying to fix it.

What the hell is the matter with our representatives, congress, the senate??? Are they absolutely clueless on the monstrosity of waste. So disability insurance including those on medicare gobble up $260 billion a year. How does CMS handle that? They cut physician payments! I'm seriously getting really pissed right now... what an injustice

Try this...

All new patients who are on disability ask them why they are on disability. More than 50% are not able to answer the question or do not know why they are getting that check.

Try this...

All new patients who are on disability ask them why they are on disability. More than 50% are not able to answer the question or do not know why they are getting that check.

I finally know why that happens. Because a company, paid by the individual states, filled out their disability forms for them.

Makes me so angry!!!!!

Yet another reason I refuse to see Medicaid or medi-medi. I want no part of this idiocy.

I finally know why that happens. Because a company, paid by the individual states, filled out their disability forms for them.

Makes me so angry!!!!!

Yet another reason I refuse to see Medicaid or medi-medi. I want no part of this idiocy.

And, it's usually psych related...

It's a great question: "I see you're on disability. What is the cause of your disability?" Blank stare...

I would love to see a debate question posed to the presidential candidates on this. Instead of the usual, "I'm disabled how can you help me?" it should be "I'm a taxpayer and want to know, as a politician, how did you let this happen?" Unless it's Trump, then you can only ask, "What are you gonna do about it?"

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Try this...

Check this ...
The U.K. Mandated a physician exam for all disability recipients a few years ago. 25-30% didn't show and were kick off. This is a socialized country... There they actually execute their laws.
Maine mandated volunteer work for a subset of their SSD and the governor wants Utoxs and public disclosure of names. That's common sense and apolitical ...

How about the husband and wife who are on disability. Birds of a feather. Both on 4 Norcos a day for the past 10 years.

Now referred for Pain management consult because their PCP has decided not to do Pain management anymore.

Offer multidisciplinary approach. They probably no sHow because it is too much work.

Just curious but if someone is working under the table and they tell you as much during an exam, then you see that they are on disability is it legal to call the fraud hotline?

Ethical....probably not. I certainly would feel better though.

SSDI changes in substantial ways with each presidential administration. give em what they want is the current mantra

SSDI changes in substantial ways with each presidential administration. give em what they want is the current mantra

Once Welfare benefits were cut (30 years ago), disability started to skyrocket

Reactions: 2 users
Once Welfare benefits were cut (30 years ago), disability started to skyrocket
It helped that SSD allowed coverage of fibro and migraine patients indiscriminately for years...the Great Recession didn't help either. Multi factorial causes.

Reactions: 2 users
When Chiropractors started putting people on disability this was a sign the system was broken.
For that matter pretty much anytime a chiropractor is getting involved it can't be a good thing

Reactions: 3 users
The "under-class" were shifted from welfare to disability. The problem is that we forgot to do something about poverty. Once upon a time we had a war on poverty (the LBJ era). Now, we have a war on drugs...

Along the way the poor's legitimate barriers to success (low academic attainment, inter-generational abuse, addiction, and unstable family dynamics) in a competitive, global economy were medicalized and the people themselves were medicated. Just imagine if the Obama Administration had taken the billions of dollars it spent on a failing Obama-care Medicaid boon-doggle and really invested it in vocational rehab, skills training, child care, and education. That is, give people the tools to raise themselves above their circumstances. Such thinking is unpopular these days. Let them eat cake.

Just remember these words come election time, "If you like your doctor you can keep him."

Reactions: 4 users
The "under-class" were shifted from welfare to disability. The problem is that we forgot to do something about poverty. Once upon a time we had a war on poverty (the LBJ era). Now, we have a war on drugs...

Along the way the poor's legitimate barriers to success (low academic attainment, inter-generational abuse, addiction, and unstable family dynamics) in a competitive, global economy were medicalized and the people themselves were medicated. Just imagine if the Obama Administration had taken the billions of dollars it spent on a failing Obama-care Medicaid boon-doggle and really invested it in vocational rehab, skills training, child care, and education. That is, give people the tools to raise themselves above their circumstances. Such thinking is unpopular these days. Let them eat cake.

Just remember these words come election time, "If you like your doctor you can keep him."
Many high paying jobs would have resulted from the Canadian pipeline or train track and bridge upgrades throughout the country... What a waste of quantitative easing money, our tax payer money...

Reactions: 1 users
Many high paying jobs would have resulted from the Canadian pipeline or train track and bridge upgrades throughout the country... What a waste of quantitative easing money, our tax payer money...

Not to burst your bubble but the Canadian pipeline was unlikely to generate many long lasting jobs. The other projects you mention yes.

Just curious but if someone is working under the table and they tell you as much during an exam, then you see that they are on disability is it legal to call the fraud hotline?

Ethical....probably not. I certainly would feel better though.

I think 70% of people I meet on SSDI have a part time or full time job. My policy on ratting people out: does it hurt anybody (physically, not philosophically/ethically) and it is relevant to my medical care?

So as much as it drives me nuts, I don't turn them in.

And prompted by earlier posts, I asked a new patient today on SSDI, "what is the nature of your disability?" And his answer. "I don't know. I hired an attorney to fill out all the forms and pull my medical records, and got it approved." And this guy just had a lumbar laminectomy 8 weeks ago covered by work comp and bilateral rotator cuff physical therapies covered by MVC. So he is my first self-admitted triple dipper.

I think 70% of people I meet on SSDI have a part time or full time job. My policy on ratting people out: does it hurt anybody (physically, not philosophically/ethically) and it is relevant to my medical care?

So as much as it drives me nuts, I don't turn them in.

And prompted by earlier posts, I asked a new patient today on SSDI, "what is the nature of your disability?" And his answer. "I don't know. I hired an attorney to fill out all the forms and pull my medical records, and got it approved." And this guy just had a lumbar laminectomy 8 weeks ago covered by work comp and bilateral rotator cuff physical therapies covered by MVC. So he is my first self-admitted triple dipper.

I would bet that he feels "justified" in being a triple dipper especially in light of all those "Wall Street People" who made money off the housing crisis and poor people...

Not to burst your bubble but the Canadian pipeline was unlikely to generate many long lasting jobs. The other projects you mention yes.
It's controversial , depending on your media source. But the jobs would be high paying and would stimulate the economy around the pipeline. If you believe the chief Canadian dept of energy comments , it would produce many lucrative jobs. They are currently suing the WH...

Last edited:
That's controversial , depending on your media source. But the jobs would be high paying and would stimulate the economy around the pipeline. If you believe the chief Canadian dept of commerce , it would produce many lucrative jobs. They are currently suing the WH...

Actually, if you look at politifact they have an analysis that says beyond two year there will be 50 jobs mainly consisting of low level maintenance workers. Trust the Canadians if you like, but they have a lot of skin in the game.

Actually, if you look at politifact they have an analysis that says beyond two year there will be 50 jobs mainly consisting of low level maintenance workers. Trust the Canadians if you like, but they have a lot of skin in the game.
Again it depends on your source...
Forbes discusses hundreds of thousands of ancillary and "spin off" jobs. Plus 42k high paying jobs for 2 years is great...Obama claims were called false by your politico fact article, so he is biased as well... I trust Forbes and the Canadians, I don't trust this WH with a ten foot poll... Take home message, we need infrastructure improvements not more QE to Wall Street...
http://www.forbes.com/sites/energys...-will-be-created-by-keystone-xl/#47256ecd660c

oh good lord.

never mind. i was going to retort, but it just isnt worth it, other than to say that that article was so 2013, and completely dated.

with stim? wasnt he banned in 2013?
I'm transformed and more bad ass than ever... Call me Lawful Evil ( lobel patent pending)...

Do you think that the problem has gotten better or worse since then?
Take this argument to drusso, I want to just read and laugh out loud...