The skyrocketing value of the HPSP scholarship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
YES! I knew SDN would eventually make me feel better about taking an HPSP scholarship. It only took reading 10,000 posts to find the one encouraging one!

I am disheartened by all the negativity about HPSP here. There are definitely unhappy doctors in the military but there are also unhappy civilians too. I have loved every minute of my 7 plus years in the military so far. HPSP let me have kids in medical school. I have moved 7 times and each brought me new experiences. I got to be a flight surgeon and fly airplanes and helicopters, shoot all manner of weapons on the ground and in the air. I spent 7 long months in Afghanistan and I am not sure if there is anything I am prouder of in my life. As a Dermatologist I know I will make less money for a few years than my civilian counterparts but-at least at Balboa-we are far better trained than 80 percent of other terms in the US. I can't speak for other residencies but ours truly is one of the best in the country.

If you want to be a doctor and only practice in a hospital and never change that, then the military may not be for you. If you want to have an adventurous life, take care of some of the most grateful patients on the planet, go and do things other doctors only dream about, live the life of a Sailor, Soldier, Airman or Marine AND be a physician join the military. When I die and look back on my life I am not going to say how glad I was that I never had to move, I am going to be glad I got to see so much of the world and that the military let me practice medicine and do some of the coolest things man has ever dared doing!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I can't speak for other residencies but ours truly is one of the best in the country.

How would you know? You just said that you can't speak toward other residencies.

If you want to ... do things other doctors only dream about, live the life of a Sailor, Soldier, Airman or Marine AND be a physician join the military.

You are aware that civilian doctors can practice international medicine, shoot guns, and fly airplanes, too? I'm not sure how many other doctors dream about computer-based training, monthly anti-rape training, having a nurse who is never worked in your specialty as the department chair, skill atrophy, and the many other negatives that have been expressed on this forum for years.

Last edited:
Interesting post. Maybe the attendings have mellowed in their old age. The friend of mine who did Derm in San Diego found it pretty darn malignant. Intense focus on inservice scores, zero nurses to do nurse-level phone calls, rather unfriendly attendings. Things can change in the Navy but I didn't think Derm in SD was a very happy residency (as incredible as that sounds).

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know anything about the situation with psychiatry right now in the military? Most of you may know they recently had a big press event over what is happening at the VA and there's a huge shortage of psychiatrists in particular. I'm guessing there's probably a big push for PTSD care, but for HPSP what kind of places will they put you as far as psych residencies are concerned? Is the chance of a GMO more or less? I'm guessing less since the previous posts were talking about an algorithm that selects based on "overstrength" specialities.

Last edited:
I am disheartened by all the negativity about HPSP here.

Yeah, it's definitely kind of demotivating for me (still in school). I'm hoping I luck out and get surrounded by quality folks wherever I end up. But even if I don't, I figured there'd be bureaucracy and bumps in the road when I signed the papers.

Anyone know anything about the situation with psychiatry right now in the military? Most of you may know they recently had a big press event over what is happening at the VA and there's a huge shortage of psychiatrists in particular. I'm guessing there's probably a big push for PTSD care, but for HPSP what kind of places will they put you as far as psych residencies are concerned? Is the chance of a GMO more or less? I'm guessing less since the previous posts were talking about an algorithm that selects based on "overstrength" specialities.

I'm still a student, so I don't know for sure, but I suspect that if there's a greater need for psychiatrists than the military residency slots can handle, they'll either work to squeeze in another here or there into existing residencies if budgets/residency accreditation allows it, or they'll increase civilian residency deferrals.

However, the VA isn't the military. There may be some overlap, but a shortage of psychiatrists at VA facilities doesn't become the military's responsibility. At least I don't think. I'm not sure which service you're in/looking at, but I figure it's the Navy since we're most likely to do GMO tours. There are some residencies that tend to go straight through more than others (less chance of doing a GMO tour after intern year), and psych may be one of them. Family med would be another.

I think it's all dependent on one's specialty and situation. My wife and I are both 3 year HPSP recepient. We are in two different services. My medical school was fairly cheap. I came out with $45K in loans after medical school. I cut cost by living at my parent's house during medical school. She went to an expensive private school in DC. After graduating from medical school she had about $100K of loans. After 5 years of training she has $150K in loans.

Now the rub is that we are both in high paying specialty. The military screwed us in our first assignments. One there's the geographic separation. Two I am in an awful location in a MTF run by nurses. No one in my department is happy. There is skill atrophy. There is now the push from HRC for board certified physicians of all specialties to enter operational assignments (FST, Brigade or Flight surgeon). There's no funding for any CME activity. The expectation to do more with less. Milmed is not a good environment now especially outside of the big Medcen (Walter Reed, SAMMC, MAMC etc).

I would not recommend any prospective student to do the military primarily for financial reasons. There are just too many variables where one can end up really unhappy. Sure if one is married with kids and a spouse who is willing to stay at home and doesn't mind being sent to rural locations or doesn't mind the prospect of being tasked for a primarily administrative assignment then a military life is not a terrible option. One can skate by in the military, strolling into work around 8am and out by 4pm if they want to be lazy.

In the current climate of austerity, one shouldn't have any fantasy that they are entirely in control of their career if they stay in the military. There's a board certified doc who in my MTF who basically got voluntold that he'll be starting a flight surgery assignment. A buddy of mine who graduated was voluntold that he'd be starting a brigade surgery assignment for two years at a busy location. These guys will not have any time to keep their skills up. It's just a complete waste and travesty.
That is disheartening! WTF? I guess this is where incompetence sticks its ugly head out. I imagine the people making the decisions know little about the work of the persons they give assignments to. ugh!

Oh. I forgot to mention that my friend the Balboa Derm resident back in the day was sexually harrassed by a very kooky dermatopathologist. But, anyhoo. Missingthewar has going missing anyway (BTW, what is up with that screen name. I took care of way too many blown up heroes to miss any part of that).

Interesting post. Maybe the attendings have mellowed in their old age. The friend of mine who did Derm in San Diego found it pretty darn malignant. Intense focus on inservice scores, zero nurses to do nurse-level phone calls, rather unfriendly attendings. Things can change in the Navy but I didn't think Derm in SD was a very happy residency (as incredible as that sounds).

It's probably so competitive to get in that it attracts all of the malignant, high-strung, super-type-A personalities.

Oh. I forgot to mention that my friend the Balboa Derm resident back in the day was sexually harrassed by a very kooky dermatopathologist. But, anyhoo. Missingthewar has going missing anyway (BTW, what is up with that screen name. I took care of way too many blown up heroes to miss any part of that).
I'm sorry about your experiences at war. That's sh****.

My screen name- it's a nickname of a childhood best friend. Her name was karina. I called her koogy. It's sentimental to me in a heartfelt warm fuzzy way. I miss her. Going by koogy on this site reminds me of her each time I log in. She was an aspiring doctor. And maybe my motivation to be one too.

I'm not sorry and wasn't complaining. I'm still proud of my service and particularly of that period. However, war is terrible and to truly miss it pretty much makes you a sociopath (or just so naive you don't really know what you are saying).

As a current enlisted member of the Air Force in a medical field, I have known and worked with many physicians that came in on HPSP. Individual experiences, expectations and goals are so unique that trying to sit here and figure out if HPSP is good or bad is an argument no one will win...not that I think anyone is competing.

I've known Flight Sugeons that have loved their jobs for the time they did it, then moved on to FP residency. One of those FS decided to continue be a FS after their residency. An anesthesiologist I trained with was a FS for 8 years willingly, then decided to do his residency. He had some awesome stories.

I have also met those that have gone straight through the system med school-->Mil Residency-->Mil or Civ fellowship, and have been perfectly happy with their choices. My mentor did a Civ deferred IM and Civ Deferred Cards, paid back his time then got out to do a Interventional Cards fellowship. Of couse he had his frustrations with the mil system but he said he wouldn't have done it any different if he were to do it all over again.

I have also met quite a few who hate the military and can't wait to get out, for many various reasons, some that have been stated already in this forum.

As everyone has said on here, you shouldn't do the HPSP for the money, same as you shouldn't do medicine for the money. However, lets be honest, people are going to do it because of the money, both medicine and military, and chances are, they are going to be the ones complaining on SDN in a few years time about military, medicine or both.

I want to do HPSP because I love being in the military, I can't say that everything has been super outstanding but a civilian route will have down sides as well. We can either do our best to enjoy whatever path we have chosen or we can complain about it is how I see it. Complaining is stressful.

Also, about the missingthewar comment, I don't think that they mean they miss soldiers being blown up or any of that stuff. I was deployed and I find myself missing it too, but its because of the people you share the experience with and the people you meet. I don't know anyone whose preference is specifically to be around the violence and tragedy of war.

As everyone has said on here, you shouldn't do the HPSP for the money, same as you shouldn't do medicine for the money. However, lets be honest, people are going to do it because of the money, both medicine and military, and chances are, they are going to be the ones complaining on SDN in a few years time about military, medicine or both.

I see this sentiment a lot on this forums. While I agree that joining the military for primarily or solely financial reasons is a bad idea, I find the second half of this thought to be dismissive. It is possible to have joined the military for all of the right reasons and then become disillusioned by the system.

I didn't take a dime of the military's money to go to medical school. Every cent I received was part of ROTC, because I initially wanted to be a line officer, and - as a military brat for the first 18 years of my life - I was more prepared for military culture than most people who join. So, I think I can make a good case that the money wasn't important to me (and still isn't), yet, here I am 17 years later preparing to separate as soon as possible.

And I won't even make the case that my military experience has been bad. Overall, I'd say I've been quite fortunate and that my time in uniform will end up being a net positive. But I'm getting out because I really do believe that the grass will be greener on the outside, so the idea that "oh well, all healthcare systems have problems" doesn't fly with me either. I realize that it won't all be unicorn rides and rainbow lollipops in civilian medicine. But I know what my employment contract says, and I know what the workday and compensation package are like for the partners at my future job. I can tell you that there is not a single, quantifiable metric where my military job is better, and I also believe there will be quite a number of qualitative metrics where the same will be true. But don't take my word for it - there are a handful of former military physicians that still post here, and I believe they'd echo these sentiments. Or better yet, find me a physician that separated and regretted it.

Anyway, sorry for the rant. I just believe that reasonable people can only internalize so much. At some point, the system is so bad that it pushes out good people, and when those people complain it's not just because they had poor intentions in the first place.

Members don't see this ad :)
You really can't use the SDN population as a large enough sample size to make a decision. The reason is the same reason why you see mostly negative reviews for ANYTHING online. People are much more passionate about what they dislike than what they like. Listen to what they have to say and consider them...but also realize that there are just as many people out here who enjoyed their military careers and therefore never went on SDN to complain about it.

I'm not sorry and wasn't complaining. I'm still proud of my service and particularly of that period. However, war is terrible and to truly miss it pretty much makes you a sociopath (or just so naive you don't really know what you are saying).
I second that! I hate war. As a civilian counselor working on post in The army I work with men, women, children who have been utterly destroyed by war. Everyone looses, except of course the politicians who her their companies contracted and make a boatload off taxpayer money. Anyone who thinks war makes a man or "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger" clearly hasn't suffered real pain of war. Oh how I hate it. The horror stories never stop.

In my 11 or so years in the Navy, I have to say that most of that time has been positive, including internship, residency, and now as staff. The 3 years as a GMO were pretty awful. All told, I don’t regret signing up for HPSP, but if I had a time machine and could go back, I’d elect to take the loans. It’s certainly not what was advertised. Frankly, I think the simplest way to figure out if HPSP is right for you is this: if you value being an officer over being a physician you’ll probably be happy. If you think of yourself as a physician first and an officer second, you will likely struggle.

At this point, I’m planning to get out of the Navy at year 12. It hasn’t been the easiest decision; the Navy has been good for me and my family. I anticipate being picked up for O-5 this year. I received excellent training and I’ve met fantastic people along the way. But the grass seems greener in the civilian sector. The accumulation of little things, the monthly anti-rape training, the annoying piss tests, the increasing admin/collateral expectations, the lack of support for physician CME, the daily bureaucratic monotony, etc. . . . it’s all starting to grate on me. I’m tired of moving too. It was fun when I was single but now that I’m married with kids and all the crap we’ve acquired—I’m ready to settle down.

Regarding a deployment to war, it’s certainly not something I look back upon fondly. I deployed to Iraq with the Marine Infantry for 7 months, and while there is undeniably a sense of pride I feel in having served my country and of having worked alongside such extraordinarily brave and dedicated Americans, I feel overcome with a feeling of utter sadness and tragedy at the thought of so many of our young men who were killed and horribly maimed for the sake of (granted, this is merely my opinion) a completely unnecessary war/occupation. It was an experience which will forever trouble me. Then again, I’m more of a dirty hippie at heart than someone who enjoys the idea of playing soldier. Back in 2000, when I signed up, the world seemed more peaceful and I was also more naïve.

It is interesting being an enlisted member of the service, whose peers very lives are defined by the years spent in the military to reading all the whiny bull**** you POG physicians spew on SDN. Most of you don't make the rating to be speaking on such matters. You guys all act like civilians- individual mentality.

Good luck on the "greener gas" when you find out big medicine doesn't give a **** about you, all the while not coming close to feeling as special as you did getting saluted by all the hard asses you currently take for granted.

Last edited:
NontradCA,

What’s with all the hostility? I, for one, certainly don’t take any of the enlisted for granted and I don’t get the impression anyone else here does either. To me, working with the Corpsmen has been unquestionably the best part of my Navy experience. I think most of us have a problem “the system” and the bureaucracy that holds us back from practicing medicine the way we see fit.

BTW, I think you should change the “Ambassador of Hope” part of your screen name to the “Ambassador of Hard Asses,” because you sure talk tough. Seems like you have a real chip on your shoulder--the DO quote is kind of revealing. Can OMM be used for anger management?

In my 11 or so years in the Navy, I have to say that most of that time has been positive, including internship, residency, and now as staff. The 3 years as a GMO were pretty awful. All told, I don’t regret signing up for HPSP, but if I had a time machine and could go back, I’d elect to take the loans. It’s certainly not what was advertised. Frankly, I think the simplest way to figure out if HPSP is right for you is this: if you value being an officer over being a physician you’ll probably be happy. If you think of yourself as a physician first and an officer second, you will likely struggle.

At this point, I’m planning to get out of the Navy at year 12. It hasn’t been the easiest decision; the Navy has been good for me and my family. I anticipate being picked up for O-5 this year. I received excellent training and I’ve met fantastic people along the way. But the grass seems greener in the civilian sector. The accumulation of little things, the monthly anti-rape training, the annoying piss tests, the increasing admin/collateral expectations, the lack of support for physician CME, the daily bureaucratic monotony, etc. . . . it’s all starting to grate on me. I’m tired of moving too. It was fun when I was single but now that I’m married with kids and all the crap we’ve acquired—I’m ready to settle down.

Regarding a deployment to war, it’s certainly not something I look back upon fondly. I deployed to Iraq with the Marine Infantry for 7 months, and while there is undeniably a sense of pride I feel in having served my country and of having worked alongside such extraordinarily brave and dedicated Americans, I feel overcome with a feeling of utter sadness and tragedy at the thought of so many of our young men who were killed and horribly maimed for the sake of (granted, this is merely my opinion) a completely unnecessary war/occupation. It was an experience which will forever trouble me. Then again, I’m more of a dirty hippie at heart than someone who enjoys the idea of playing soldier. Back in 2000, when I signed up, the world seemed more peaceful and I was also more naïve.
Many thanks for the post! I appreciate the hindsight as it gives me better perspective and is a good dose towards curing my quixotic perceptions of the navy. It's a good reminder that ultimately working for the gov is like working for a large corporation that only has their agenda on the forefront (and maybe rightly so). Do what is best for your family. When you are laying on your death bed, I guarantee you will not be regretting your decision and thinking "If only I had served more years," no, you'll be thinking " I wish I had spent more time w the kids, my sweetheart, and friends."

I am happy to know that you are willing to be transparent about your experiences. It helps me prepare better mentally. Like you once were, I am single, and a woman at that. I just got done w my masters in may and about to launch into a PsyD with hopefully the HPSP. The idea of the unexpectant, not having roots, moving all seems exciting, but I know it will get old, especially if I Ggod forbid!) end up stayin single. It's hard enough finding a quality man in the civilian world while working crazy hours, I can't imagine how slim the pickings are in the force. Having w family seams like only a dream.
in many ways men have it easier, you just have to focus on building a career, but us women have to be mindful about childbirthing years.I hate to sound sexist and at the cost of sounding like a hypocrit, the truth is, women really should be at home raising families. I guess i want both. Not sure if at least a seasonal career of a few years in the navy is compatible with marriage and having children.

On a different note, can you tell me what makes navy medicine unique? I'm having a hard time decision which branch is best to apply to (navy, army, or AF).

Any experiences w psychologists in the Navy and their stories?

Last edited:
Well isn't that special. Our very own warrior DO here to wow us with his exploits as door-gunner on the space shuttle. Whiny is an opinion and, as such, I won't bother to disagree with you. Bull****, on the other hand, means that the statements made by us POG physicians (an inclusive group since every physician is a POG) are not truthful. That is something that can be assessed. So, since you called us on our truthiness, proceed to point out a single solitary statement that is, in fact, demonstrably untrue.

For the lurkers out there, people like NontradCA make up a fair percentage of the people who stay past their obligation and end up in leadership. Makes you want to jump right in, no?

As for the color of the grass in my new life, it is unquestionably greener. I don't know what "big medicine" is but there are many ****s given about me all the time. I may have been saluted every day in my Navy career (or at least my car was) but now the respect is paid in meaningful actions. For example, today I had a computer problem. This is familiar to military physicians but the rest of this will seem impossible. I called, got through to a human in 10 seconds and they dispatched someone to me who arrived 15 minutes later to troubleshoot directly. I would have skipped a salute or two for that.

NontradCA,

What’s with all the hostility? I, for one, certainly don’t take any of the enlisted for granted and I don’t get the impression anyone else here does either. To me, working with the Corpsmen has been unquestionably the best part of my Navy experience. I think most of us have a problem “the system” and the bureaucracy that holds us back from practicing medicine the way we see fit.

BTW, I think you should change the “Ambassador of Hope” part of your screen name to the “Ambassador of Hard Asses,” because you sure talk tough. Seems like you have a real chip on your shoulder--the DO quote is kind of revealing. Can OMM be used for anger management?
I am being blunt. Have you ever been with division? There's an appreciation for this. But way to be defensive and ironically say that I have a chip on my shoulder.

Well isn't that special. Our very own warrior DO here to wow us with his exploits as door-gunner on the space shuttle. Whiny is an opinion and, as such, I won't bother to disagree with you. Bull****, on the other hand, means that the statements made by us POG physicians (an inclusive group since every physician is a POG) are not truthful. That is something that can be assessed. So, since you called us on our truthiness, proceed to point out a single solitary statement that is, in fact, demonstrably untrue.

For the lurkers out there, people like NontradCA make up a fair percentage of the people who stay past their obligation and end up in leadership. Makes you want to jump right in, no?

As for the color of the grass in my new life, it is unquestionably greener. I don't know what "big medicine" is but there are many ****s given about me all the time. I may have been saluted every day in my Navy career (or at least my car was) but now the respect is paid in meaningful actions. For example, today I had a computer problem. This is familiar to military physicians but the rest of this will seem impossible. I called, got through to a human in 10 seconds and they dispatched someone to me who arrived 15 minutes later to troubleshoot directly. I would have skipped a salute or two for that.
Yes, except that I'm no longer in the military and got out as soon as my obligation was fulfilled. Never did I say that the military was roses and rocky road ice cream, but only wanted to point out that service in itself is well.....service. It seems that most of you thought that signing your individuality away to the government was for ****s and giggles.

No, you called the prior posts bull****. Words have meaning. Prove it.

Or you could restate your post as follows:

"Despite the complete veracity of their statements over the past many years and recognizing that tone is impossible to accurately assess on an internet message board, my overly sensitive nature makes me perceive the myriad of complaints about military medicine as whining."

Thats fine too.

Last edited:

"Despite the complete veracity of their statements over the past many years and recognizing that tone is impossible to accurately assess on an internet message board, my overly sensitive nature makes me perceive the myriad of complaints about military medicine as whining."

Thats fine too.
I'm not playing semantics with you. "Doing jumping jacks with your pharmacist boss" is not whining, let alone pretentious? How about doing NKO? Such burdens right? There is a lot of talk of relationship strain. The toll of financially strapped med student also places its strain on families.

Thats fine too.
You both crack me up. I think its best to stick To personal experiences. It's factual because it was experienced precisely by you andhas veracity. No one can argue with your experience.

NonetradCA, generalizing is just best left out. Personal experience "this is what worked for me in the mil and here's what didn't" helps us newbies considering the forces in a much more practical way. :)

Thanks for keeping things professional and respectful on this forum, esp as former officers :)

Are you being deliberately obtuse or just unwilling to acknowledge that they are telling the truth?
I am being obtuse by knit picking at the term bull****? I know that these things happen. It's just that having this experience be the essence of a post aimed at deterring people from service is ridiculous.

Can't argue with the results snowflake. Everytime one of you engages in this sort of back and forth, it peels back the facade and gives the prospective applicants a peek at the sort of people they will get to deal with in every PSD, IT shop, warrior transition company and workcenter. Have no doubt that you've helped convince people that the naysayers are right and bringing you along to that point was oh so easy. Well done.

You both crack me up. I think its best to stick To personal experiences. It's factual because it was experienced precisely by you andhas veracity. No one can argue with your experience.

NonetradCA, generalizing is just best left out. Personal experience "this is what worked for me in the mil and here's what didn't" helps us newbies considering the forces in a much more practical way. :)

Thanks for keeping things professional and respectful on this forum, esp as former officers :)
I am not an officer, and never will be. I am not a doctor, and do not know what it's like to be a doctor. I know what it's like to serve in the military.

I know a corpsman 21, who 3 months out of bootcamp was killed by an mortar. I know a marine who put a .45 to his chin in front of his wife and child. I know a battalion surgeon who was murdered by a family member. I know countless sick veterans at the VA who are denied quality care, probably because people like the OP (per his posts) think they're just malingerers. These are some of my experiences. But, they have probably made me over sensitive. Well, that and being a DO of course.

Can't argue with the results snowflake. Everytime one of you engages in this sort of back and forth, it peels back the facade and gives the prospective applicants a peek at the sort of people they will get to deal with in every PSD, IT shop, warrior transition company and workcenter. Have no doubt that you've helped convince people that the naysayers are right and bringing you along to that point was oh so easy. Well done.
Yea dude, you're right. Id rather be looking up asses with you instead.

I am being blunt.

You're being an obnoxious tool.

Have you ever been with division?

Yes. 14 months deployed to Afghanistan and Iraq with Marine infantry as a GMO. Then another 7 back to Afghanistan as an anesthesiologist at a Role 3.

And your .sig is pure pretentious, shoulder-chippy crap. You're in for a lifetime of heartburn with that inferiority complex of yours, my friend.

You're being an obnoxious tool.

Yes. 14 months deployed to Afghanistan and Iraq with Marine infantry as a GMO. Then another 7 back to Afghanistan as an anesthesiologist at a Role 3.

And your .sig is pure pretentious, shoulder-chippy crap. You're in for a lifetime of heartburn with that inferiority complex of yours, my friend.
Obnoxious because I won't stack the box any higher sir? Yes, my sig is my hubris. It's completely serious and spend all my free time praying to AT Still.

Curiosity. It's been a while since we've had anyone as special as you around these parts. I'd take a perverse pleasure in knowing what's in store for you so much better than you do.

I missed the attempted but decidedly uninspired cheap shot at my rather popular and competitive specialty. It's good you don't like it, we don't take many DOs.

I missed the attempted but decidedly uninspired cheap shot at my rather popular and competitive specialty. It's good you don't like it, we don't take many DOs.
Are you trolling me or are you always like this?

Curiosity. It's been a while since we've had anyone as special as you around these parts. I'd take a perverse pleasure in knowing what's in store for you so much better than you do.
I know right. I am such a tool.

I know right. I am such a tool.
I don't always agree with much that is written on this board, but so far I would agree with this statement.

If you've been in the military then you certainly know what tact is. Your points/arguments would potentially gather much more reasonable responses if your posts showed some.

I don't always agree with much that is written on this board, but so far I would agree with this statement.

If you've been in the military then you certainly know what tact is. Your points/arguments would potentially gather much more reasonable responses if your posts showed some.

I've never been in the military. I made that up to fill the chip on my shoulder, and only want your approval and wish my posts held more validity.

I've never been in the military. I made that up to fill the chip on my shoulder, and only want your approval and wish my posts held more validity.
Interesting posts from someone who started a thread on appropriate behavior on the Internet and posted this in 2012

In light of some recent events I believe it would be good to have a discussion on how those seeking professional schooling, licensure and or credibility should act on the internet.

First I would say that as a rule of thumb, you should not be "acting" on the internet. Do not have a persona, and carry yourself how you would in a room full of strangers. It's important to always speak in context to the discussion you are having. For instance, sarcasm is often acceptable in conversation so long as it is not facetious and within some relevance to the topic. To not do so is considered trolling.

Anonymity- is this truly possible on the internet?

By the way how are your medical school applications going? Able to bring up that 3.3 GPA?

Interesting posts from someone who started a thread on appropriate behavior on the Internet and posted this in 2012

By the way how are your medical school applications going? Able to bring up that 3.3 GPA?
Oh man. Please don't tell on me. I lied on my app and said I was in the mil. Also, I put in there that I'm the nicest guy and would never question anything anyone put on there internet. They allowed me in despite my crap GPA:scared:

I'm such a tool right @pgg ?

Goodday sirs. Try not to trip on your feet tomorrow. It's left, right, left, right.

I understand why you want a piece of me but now you are attacking a rather pro-Navy CDR physician who spends most of his time here dispensing helpful advice. At first I thought you were just a narcissist experiencing a little uncertainty and cognitive dissonance. Now I think you're just a little slow.

FWIW, I regret getting involved in this little flamewar. Not what I come here for ... my apologies for contributing to the derailment.

NontradCA, somewhere there's a line between being pro-military / proud of service / willing to endure some hardship ... and so saturated with the groupthink Kool-Aide that you take offense at anyone and anything that presents criticism. Even further over that line is a little corner where attacking the people who offer criticism seems like a good idea.

BTW...for those who are trying to decide whether or not to take HPSP...not all of those physicians who like the military are a-holes. My experience has been positive for the most part. You have to take the good with the bad.

For me...I did it because I love the people and families of the military and wanted to take care of them. Have I dealt with BS along the way? Sure. But I achieved what I wanted out of the military. If you are doing it for any other reason than to provide care to a group of people very deserving of good care...then you may be making a mistake.

I am not an officer, and never will be. I am not a doctor, and do not know what it's like to be a doctor. I know what it's like to serve in the military.

Then shut up. I know what it's like to serve in the military AND be an officer AND be a doctor.

How can you be HPSP and "never will be" and officer?

I'm legitimately concerned for 1) anybody that serves under your command 2) your future patients and 3) anybody who has ever met you on-line or otherwise.

I don't understand what you're hoping to achieve here other than insult a group of veterans who dedicated years of our lives to serving our country and are truly concerned about the problems with military medicine.