The stupid things you said at the interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UCSFx2017

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Interviewer: "Why don't you want to be a physician?"
Me: "I don't want the responsibilities of a physician. I don't want to make life or death decisions on a daily basis."
[I think the delivery of this message was poorly carried out. I was nervous so imagine my throat tightening and my voice being high like an immature, prepubescent boy which doesn't exactly fit well with my potentially equally immature message]

Is this a bad response?
I think I was too frank and succinct. This probably could've been more eloquently said. I should've instead beat around the bush.

What stupid things do you think you've said?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't think that's too bad man. Here's mine, all from one interview, I know I will be rejected but whatevs. Not my top choice...

Interviewer: "What qualities do you have that makes you get along with others?"

Me: *Mind went blank for some reason* "Uhhh, I'm friendly and uh patient... ummm yeah." He just stared at me.

Interviewer: "So do you want to stay in the West Coast (This was an east coast school)"

Me: "Honestly... yes!" Hahahha, I might as well have said they're not my top choice at all.

Interviewer: "How was the flight coming in?"

Me: "It was great, the NY skyline is amazing!"

Inteviewer: "Not as amazing as 11 years ago"

Me: "Oh yeah, hahaha.." (Then realizing what he's talking about and appalled that I just laughed at the tragedy...)

EDIT: I got accepted to this school on Dec 3rd..... o_O I'm speechless

Last edited:
Reactions: 19 users
Interviewer: What other schools have you interviewed at?
Me: Schools X, Y.... Oh, yeah I was rejected from UCSF.

No idea why I said I was rejected from UCSF! Huge lapse in judgement

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
These are too good! hahha I'm sure we all will have moments like these, being put on the spot and all. I'll definitely add to it once I get some interviews! Let's keep this thread going!

This was not me but at a group interview it went like this for someone else.

School: "We invited you here because we like your GPA and DAT scores. So tell me your name and a little about yourself."

Student: "My name is X and I'm from Y. I know my GPA isn't that great and my DAT scores are not what I would find acceptable in my book but I love dentistry."

It went something like that. Everyone in the room kinda looked around at each other..

During one of the presentations with all the applicants the dean just finished talking for an hour about the curriculum and a student asks a question the dean just answered like 5 times in his presentation.

-Matthew

This was not me but at a group interview it went like this for someone else.

School: "We invited you here because we like your GPA and DAT scores. So tell me your name and a little about yourself."

Student: "My name is X and I'm from Y. I know my GPA isn't that great and my DAT scores are not what I would find acceptable in my book but I love dentistry."

It went something like that. Everyone in the room kinda looked around at each other..

During one of the presentations with all the applicants the dean just finished talking for an hour about the curriculum and a student asks a question the dean just answered like 5 times in his presentation.

-Matthew

:laugh:

I don't think that's too bad man. Here's mine, all from one interview, I know I will be rejected but whatevs. Not my top choice...

Me: *Mind went blank for some reason* "Uhhh, I'm friendly and uh patient... ummm yeah." He just stared at me.

Interviewer: "So do you want to stay in the West Coast (This was an east coast school)"

Me: "Honestly... yes!" Hahahha, I might as well have said they're not my top choice at all.

Me: "Oh yeah, hahaha.." (Then realizing what he's talking about and appalled that I just laughed at the tragedy...)

Lmao this is horrible but funny!

The interviewer, who had a stern, emotionless face for the entire time preceding this question, asked me why I wanted to be a dentist and one of the reasons that I mentioned was the lifestyle. Before I could elaborate, he laughs and scoffs at me by saying something along the lines of, "Why would someone like you want a nice lifestyle; you look like a really nerdy person." By reflexive action to his laughing and by my surprise to his sudden change of countenance, I mirror him by laughing along until I realized what he meant and I remarked, "Hahaha...wait...what?" Followed by *a few awkward seconds of silence.* He stops laughing and smiling and returns to his stern face. I then elaborate on why I wanted a nice lifestyle and gave more, better reasons why I wanted to be a dentist. He stays stern and emotionless for the remaining minutes of the interview.

To be fair, I am Asian. He was also Asian so I guess there is some forgiveness for his stereotyping. I wear glasses. I have decent numbers and very few interesting ECs.

Reactions: 1 users
The interviewer, who had a stern, emotionless face for the entire time preceding this question, asked me why I wanted to be a dentist and one of the reasons that I mentioned was the lifestyle. Before I could elaborate, he laughs and scoffs at me by saying something along the lines of, "Why would someone like you want a nice lifestyle; you look like a really nerdy person." By reflexive action to his laughing and by my surprise to his sudden change of countenance, I mirror him by laughing along until I realized what he meant and I remarked, "Hahaha...wait...what?" Followed by *a few awkward seconds of silence.* He stops laughing and smiling and returns to his stern face. I then elaborate on why I wanted a nice lifestyle and gave more, better reasons why I wanted to be a dentist. He stays stern and emotionless for the remaining minutes of the interview.

To be fair, I am Asian. He was also Asian so I guess there is some forgiveness for his stereotyping. I wear glasses. I have decent numbers and very few interesting ECs.

:rofl::rofl:

When talking about some of the charity work I've been involved in with my family, instead of saying "my aunt", I said "my auntie sue", as if I was at a family party. Wtf. I must have sounded like a 2nd grader.

When talking about some of the charity work I've been involved in with my family, instead of saying "my aunt", I said "my auntie sue", as if I was at a family party. Wtf. I must have sounded like a 2nd grader.

Lmao!! Awww

Members don't see this ad :)
At an NYU interview, I asked, "When do NYU students begin their PBL?"
NYU is not a PBL school.

You can imagine how embarrassed and red I was. To be fair, I was malinformed when I read,
"[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]To meet this challenge, NYUCD has adopted an innovative teaching strategy throughout our second-year preclinical restorative dentistry course based on problem-based learning (PBL) that, in essence, views the simulation environment as a real-life private practice setting and the simulated patients as members of an actual family, with a unique constellation of physical, psychological, sociological, economic, and behavioral traits."..
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
.http://www.nyu.edu/dental/nexus/issues/summer2009/319

At an NYU interview, I asked, "When do NYU students begin their PBL?"
NYU is not a PBL school.

You can imagine how embarrassed and red I was. To be fair, I was malinformed when I read,
"[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]To meet this challenge, NYUCD has adopted an innovative teaching strategy throughout our second-year preclinical restorative dentistry course based on problem-based learning (PBL) that, in essence, views the simulation environment as a real-life private practice setting and the simulated patients as members of an actual family, with a unique constellation of physical, psychological, sociological, economic, and behavioral traits."..
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
.http://www.nyu.edu/dental/nexus/issues/summer2009/319

they should take that off their website since its dated back in 2009.

"they are our next door neighbors... you can actually see Russia from land here in Alaska" ~ Sarah Palin 2008 vice presidential nominee

This is the best interview story i have ever heard!! One of my favorite SDN posts!!

Interviewer So tell me about your leadership experience?

Me (Very nervous at the moment, In my mind Im thinking I have to come up with something) Well Um I guess um hmm Well when I used to play Halo 3 online with my friends, I used to be the party leader that hosted the games and stuff (In mind mind, did I just take the biggest gun and shoot my self in the foot)

Inteviewer( blasts out laughing)

Me ( I should have smiled to make it seem like it was a joke, but I was too nervous and I had a serious look on my face)........

Interviewer Notices I had a serious look on my face and immediately stops laughing (In his mind, are you kidding me)

So then the interviewer asks me if I have any questions for him

Interviewer Do you have any questions for me?

Me Since you're an interviewer Im assuming you like it and like asking people questions. Why? (WHY WOULD I SAY THAT.)

Interviewer I dont understand what you mean?

Me Never mind I messed up can I ask you another question?

Interviewer Shoot

Me What are the dynamics and the fundamentals of being a dentist (Trying to act smart and intelligent after I exposed my stupidity through out the interview)

Interviewer What do you mean by dynamics

Me Well um you know the um I guess you can say um like the intersocial disciplines between the connection of the fundamentals of being a dentist (WTF DID I JUST SAY!!!!!!!)

Interviewer I don't know I just work and go home.

Reactions: 16 users
"they are our next door neighbors... you can actually see Russia from land here in Alaska" ~ Sarah Palin 2008 vice presidential nominee

You know that wasn't actually her, but a parody of her that people were stupid enough to fall for. Also way off topic.

LOL !!! i read this post over and over again lol soo funny! halo 3...

Does glasses make a difference???

Interviewer: so tell me what you and your friends like to do.

Me: oh haha gosh we are all just like totally crazy girls! (Why the hell would i use "crazy" to describe us,might as well have just said I'm a boozehound)

Interviewer: What is the biggest problem facing dentistry

Me: The inequity of service provided to people of varying socioeconomic backgrounds. People from X who tend to be affluent get all the care they need while others don't. What makes this more challenging is that there seem to be few workable solutions.

Interviewer: Ok..what is the best one?

Me: I think altruism and solidarity with others are important. If we can encourage such behavior through education and volunteering I am sure we could lessen the effects of the issue

Interviewer: Maybe, but I think altruism is hardly the solution. (or something equally dismissive)

Me: Certainly. I only contend that is would be a step in the right direction **Shouldn't have tried to elaborate**

Moral of the Story "Brevity is the soul of Wit". Say only what you need to and nothing else.

EDIT:

You know that wasn't actually her, but a parody of her that people were stupid enough to fall for. Also way off topic.

I hate politics and politicians. Don't take this the wrong way but Palin did say the exact thing Dental works quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXL86v8NoGk

Its alright though politicians are too busy lying to remember their main points.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxBX8sz3tO8

Totally with you on the "way off topic" part, but pretty sure DW was just reminding us of something humorous.

Last edited:
Ok fine. She said it, but it was factually correct.

Last edited:

Are you sure he was laughing because he thought you were too nerdy for "the lifestyle". Did he actually say it that way? If so, seems rude, regardless of how funny :smuggrin:.

I think it's more likely he was laughing at your usage of the term "lifestyle". Some of my interviewers made it a point to emphasize that dentistry (both private practice and academic) is lots of work and nothing like the supposed 35 hr weeks we keep hearing about.

This is the best interview story i have ever heard!! One of my favorite SDN posts!!

Hahaha, this just gave me the laugh I needed since I am sad and stressed about not getting a single interview yet. Must have been tough pulling those Halo gaming nights ;)...I miss those days...

In one of my interviews with a fourth year:

Her: How do you feel your math degree will help you in dental school?

Me: It allows me to think critically and analytically. I analyze everything. Did you know "Slumber Party" is called a slumber party because slumber means to sleep? *realizing how stupid I sound while she just stares at me* Uh, also, it has changed my way of thinking, and allowed me to work on my problem-solving skills, so I'll be able to choose the most efficient procedure to treat a patient by analyzing information.

I think the last statement pretty much sealed your fate! Thanks for sharing.....I have 1 interview this Friday and I pray I can really kill it.

Interviewer: Do you like working in a group?

Me: Uhh well uh I would uhh I would say it depends. Sometimes I like working in a group but other times I uhh... yeah other times I'd rather just finish the job by myself.

Interviewer: (in a very stern serious voice) Well here at (SCHOOL NAME) you're going to be doing A LOT of group work. Do you have any experience working in a group?

Me: OH, GROUP WORK! (flapping my hand down in a dismissive fashion) Absolutely! I love group work! Do it all the time sir.

Reactions: 8 users

Me: It allows me to think critically and analytically. I analyze everything. Did you know "Slumber Party" is called a slumber party because slumber means to sleep? *realizing how stupid I sound while she just stares at me* Uh, also, it has changed my way of thinking, and allowed me to work on my problem-solving skills, so I'll be able to choose the most efficient procedure to treat a patient by analyzing information.

Haha this is awesome. Why did you think about slumber parties? Did you just read this on the back of a cereal box or something?

Interviewer: Do you have any questions?
Me: Where do people go out to eat around here?

This was my attempt to get a feel for the neighborhood but I only made myself look distracted and hungry. Sigh.

Interviewer: Do you have any questions?
Me: Where do people go out to eat around here?

This was my attempt to get a feel for the neighborhood but I only made myself look distracted and hungry. Sigh.

Bro, you're toast.

Multiple interviewers present but one of them:

Int: Why dentistry?
Me: *explained the great relationship i had with my family dentist growing up which shaped the way I experienced the profession + my love for biology and how that would end up leading me academically to the field*
Int: Why not medicine?
Me: *explained that my interactions with my family physician were extremely helpful throughout my life but it was different in the sense that mostly I would go to them when i had an issue and they would do a great job of helping me solve it.. but the interaction wasn't there because it felt more like an appointment than someone who grows up with you and asks about your goals/family/life/etc... just a different type of relationship*
Int: Yeah i've heard that before, it's a shame that people have such a negative view of doctors they do so much for people.
Me: *in my head, WHAT?? that's not what I said/meant at all :(* I tried to explain further that I can only speak from my experience and that I recognize the amazing efforts of doctors throughout the country + world... that i hope other people have different experiences and that it will change overall in the future.

When I was talking about my doctor I made sure to say that they helped me with so much growing up. It was just a matter of personal experience that I had an amazing family dentist throughout my life and he became sort of my role model :oops:. Not sure what the interviewer ended up taking from that but I hope they understood what I meant in the end.

Last edited:
Excellent thread.

This is many years ago, I was being interviewed one on one
by a dental school instructor. At the end of the interview he says
"Good luck on the rest of your interviews."
My reply: "You too."

Reactions: 4 users
Excellent thread.

This is many years ago, I was being interviewed one on one
by a dental school instructor. At the end of the interview he says
"Good luck on the rest of your interviews."
My reply: "You too."

I said the same thing to my interviewer at my interviews once easily, lol. Just out of natural habit.

At one of my interviews i said, "I know you guys have a clinic connected to the hospital which is great because you can see more cool cases" and they said, "I don't know if cool is the way to describe it.....but yea we do bla bla bla"

Wanted to kick myself in the head only my foot wouldn't reach!

Haha this is awesome. Why did you think about slumber parties? Did you just read this on the back of a cereal box or something?
Haha, nope! It was an epiphany I had a couple of years back that I attributed to the way my mathematics courses made me think. I told everyone I knew, and they thought I was the dumbest person around.

I have no common sense.

interviewer: What 3 things would you teach your child?
me: i live by five rules in life in order to be a better person. a, b, c, d, and ....

couldn't remember the last one ahahahah . i remembered it later on and told him during lunch.

Good God lol

me: i live by five rules in life in order to be a better person. a, b, c, d, and ....

couldn't remember the last one ahahahah . i remembered it later on and told him during lunch.

Marquette interview?

I was speaking with some students at a dental school I was interviewing at. One student asked me where I was from and I said City X. He then asked what school I went to and I said School Y. He then that he never had heard of it. Only at that time did I realize he was asking me what college I went to. Rather than correct my mistake I just finished the conversation and felt embarrassed about it.

It is my experience that if someone first asks me where I am from then asks what school I went to they are referring to high school. Oh well. Hopefully he didn't do a google search on school Y in City X or he would have a good laugh.:laugh:

At one of my interviews, one of the admission committee members who has their own private practice and also works at the school stated that around 60% or her practice is Medicaid patients. While on the tour with said committee member, an interviewee asked the committee member what her husband did for a career. The committee member kind of gave a blank stare and replied what he was. The interviewee then went on to say, "Oh okay. I was just wondering because the reimbursement for Medicaid is so bad and I figured that your husband had to have a good job." Everyone stood there with the same look. Are you freakin' serious!!!!

I didn't say anything dumb, but when I walked in the room some sheets of paper fell out of my hand so they first thing they saw of me was picking the papers up. I tried to not seem flustered but I think about 10 mins in to the interview my face may have gone red for like 15 seconds thinking back to the dropping. However, I think I answered the questions pretty well, I just hope me dropping the papers and blushing doesnt keep me from getting in....so frustrating

I was asked what I considered the definition of professional to be probably because I mentioned that I had always wanted to be a medical professional. I had no idea so I just started spouting off some bs. I eventually lost my train of thought and was no longer making sense so I just stopped talking and gave my interviewer a "thats all I got" face. Total crash and burn moment. I couldn't stop there though, I continued to use the word professional in my answers even though I obviously didn't know what it meant.

That darn subconscious! Watch out for it lol.

Had this same question at an interview. (rhymes with schmid shmestern shmuniversity)

Me and 1 other guy were the first pair of 6 to interview for the day. We had finished up the interview and one of the guys from the second interviewing group got out seemed to be super flustered. He said he had a bad interview and talked way to fast, etc. He started telling everyone the questions they asked. I didn't really mind because they were basic questions that if you hadnt already thought about, then I dont know what you were expecting. Anyway, turns out he misunderstood the interviewer and told everyone one of the questions was:

If you had kids, why would you teach them?

Gave me a good laugh, and made for a way harder question haha. He was like whyyy would they ask me a question like that? of course i would teach my kids...

At one of my interviews, one of the admission committee members who has their own private practice and also works at the school stated that around 60% or her practice is Medicaid patients. While on the tour with said committee member, an interviewee asked the committee member what her husband did for a career. The committee member kind of gave a blank stare and replied what he was. The interviewee then went on to say, "Oh okay. I was just wondering because the reimbursement for Medicaid is so bad and I figured that your husband had to have a good job." Everyone stood there with the same look. Are you freakin' serious!!!!
We have a winner! For me, that level of pompous-ness (?) would be an auto interview fail.

Good God this is GRRRRRRRRRRRRREAT! I wish I could have experienced this lmao. Classic awkward moments

"So I see here you are Vietnamese, so you must know how to cook pho, right? I love pho!"

Blankly stares at for "too many seconds." Haha I responded well afterwards, but that question threw me off, especially following a round of questioning where they grilled me. In every interview I've had so far, pho has been brought up by interviewers. Haha

"So I see here you are Vietnamese, so you must know how to cook pho, right? I love pho!"

Blankly stares at for "too many seconds." Haha I responded well afterwards, but that question threw me off, especially following a round of questioning where they grilled me. In every interview I've had so far, pho has been brought up by interviewers. Haha

my name is Viet, does it mean I cook pho? or even speak Vietnamese? :laugh: