The stupid things you said at the interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Interviewer #1 (trying to make small talk): how was the flight?
me: it was fantastic.
Interviewer #1 : how long did it take you?
me: 11 hrs. (responded immediately. thinking to myself wtf, why did I just said, I got re-routed on my previous flight to 3 diff airports and notice the total flight time as 11 hrs-extreme case)

Interviewer #1 : make a chuck and had a funny look
Interviewer #2 walked in:

Interviewer #1 to #2: did you know that it took him 11 hrs to get here.

me: face palm and debating if I should correct my ans.

I would stay go here :)!!! ahha

Members don't see this ad.

quality bump. i didn't really say anything stupid at any of my visits...but i pulled a real whopper of a stunt in front of a faculty member at an interview last month.

won't share until we get more mileage out of this cycle though.
Waiting 32 days

This was my fav back when I was applying:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/index.php?threads/worst-interview-answers-responses.800486/

Submitted by Xbocker

Interviewer So tell me about your leadership experience?

Me (Very nervous at the moment, In my mind Im thinking I have to come up with something) Well Um I guess um hmm Well when I used to play Halo 3 online with my friends, I used to be the party leader that hosted the games and stuff (In mind mind, did I just take the biggest gun and shoot my self in the foot)

Inteviewer( blasts out laughing)

Me ( I should have smiled to make it seem like it was a joke, but I was too nervous and I had a serious look on my face)........

Interviewer Notices I had a serious look on my face and immediately stops laughing (In his mind, are you kidding me)

So then the interviewer asks me if I have any questions for him

Interviewer Do you have any questions for me?

Me Since you're an interviewer Im assuming you like it and like asking people questions. Why? (WHY WOULD I SAY THAT.)

Interviewer I dont understand what you mean?

Me Never mind I messed up can I ask you another question?

Interviewer Shoot

Me What are the dynamics and the fundamentals of being a dentist (Trying to act smart and intelligent after I exposed my stupidity through out the interview)

Interviewer What do you mean by dynamics

Me Well um you know the um I guess you can say um like the intersocial disciplines between the connection of the fundamentals of being a dentist (WTF DID I JUST SAY!!!!!!!)

Interviewer I don't know I just work and go home.

LOLL

LMAOOO

Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewer: What's your biggest weakness?
me: I'm really slow. My nickname growing up was hurry up (name)!
(Yeah, not a good quality to have as a dentist)

Different interview
Interviewer: So tell me about yourself:
Me: Well I've been married for four years
Interviewer: (cuts me off) Oh! Did you just have a kid? (staring down at picture that I sent in with file)
Me: No, that picture just makes me look fat! (Laughing)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Interviewer: "So how did you improve your grades so much over the past few years?" (My first 3 semesters were horrible)

Me: "Uhh...I studied my butt off..."

I was mortified after I said "butt", but the interviewer was polite enough not to say anything lol

Inteviewer: So what do you do for fun in Baltimore?
Me: "I like to hang out with my friends" I blanked out and tried to make something up on the spot*." I like to eat crabcakes"o_O

and because I realized what I said was so stupid I just stopped talking, had a blank stare and we moved on to the next question.
I don't want to go to the school anyway lol:p

Reactions: 2 users
you shoulda said hang out west of mlk

This was my fav back when I was applying:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/index.php?threads/worst-interview-answers-responses.800486/

Submitted by Xbocker

Interviewer So tell me about your leadership experience?

Me (Very nervous at the moment, In my mind Im thinking I have to come up with something) Well Um I guess um hmm Well when I used to play Halo 3 online with my friends, I used to be the party leader that hosted the games and stuff (In mind mind, did I just take the biggest gun and shoot my self in the foot)

Inteviewer( blasts out laughing)

Me ( I should have smiled to make it seem like it was a joke, but I was too nervous and I had a serious look on my face)........

Interviewer Notices I had a serious look on my face and immediately stops laughing (In his mind, are you kidding me)

So then the interviewer asks me if I have any questions for him

Interviewer Do you have any questions for me?

Me Since you're an interviewer Im assuming you like it and like asking people questions. Why? (WHY WOULD I SAY THAT.)

Interviewer I dont understand what you mean?

Me Never mind I messed up can I ask you another question?

Interviewer Shoot

Me What are the dynamics and the fundamentals of being a dentist (Trying to act smart and intelligent after I exposed my stupidity through out the interview)

Interviewer What do you mean by dynamics

Me Well um you know the um I guess you can say um like the intersocial disciplines between the connection of the fundamentals of being a dentist (WTF DID I JUST SAY!!!!!!!)

Interviewer I don't know I just work and go home.

LOLL

Oh man, hahahahaha. I was cringing as I read through that LOL. Poor guy/girl!

this wasn't at an actually interview, but one of my professors which is part of the dental committee at my undergraduate campus was nice enough to give me a practice interview session so he could give me some advice. so anyways...

Professor: so what was the last non-educational book you've read

Me: (without thinking) 50 shades of grey :D

Professor: Yeah...Don't say that...

haha so anyways I am now reading a different book so I won't have to say 50 shades of grey

Reactions: 7 users
LOLOL 50 shades of gray! NOT the right answer! :joyful:

this wasn't at an actually interview, but one of my professors which is part of the dental committee at my undergraduate campus was nice enough to give me a practice interview session so he could give me some advice. so anyways...

Professor: so what was the last non-educational book you've read

Me: (without thinking) 50 shades of grey :D

Professor: Yeah...Don't say that...

haha so anyways I am now reading a different book so I won't have to say 50 shades of grey

I actually said something similar in one of my interviews at a dental school! They asked me what I do for fun and I said, "read romance novels." Luckily the interviewer was female and she said that she loved to read them too!

To make all of you feel better, you could not possibly have done any worse than this:

Members don't see this ad :)
To make all of you feel better, you could not possibly have done any worse than this:

Yeah .. I'm interested too. Did you preform just like the video at your interview ? You were laughing and mumbling and not taking it seriously.

what the crap is wrong with you folks talking about others? and you want to be my dentist? i would not feel comfortable showing you my teeth to ya Mr. Dentists.

at least this gentleman has some balls to post up his interview practice! let's see you keyboard warriors come out of the hidden and reveal yourself :)

Be nice! we can encourage others without pulling victim in the process.

Last edited:
what the crap is wrong with you folks talking about others? and you want to be my dentist? i would not feel comfortable showing you my ugly teeth to ya Mr. Dentists.

at least this gentleman has some balls to post up his interview practice! let's see you keyboard warriors come out of the hidden and reveal yourself :)

Be nice! we can encourage others without pulling victim in the process.

If you read his posts, he comes off as very egotistical, even though they are meant to be beneficial to others. I do, however, agree that we should not be tossing around the video and bullying the guy.

Me: *shakes hand of interviewer, sits down, mentally prays that I don't get asked to tell something about myself*
Interviewer: "So, tell me about yourself."
Me: "Oh gosh, that's like, the hardest question ever."
Me: *CRAP did I just say that out loud*
Interviewer: "No, it's not! This isn't your first interview, is it?"
Me: "Actually, yes!"

LOL, it ended up going quite well, but I definitely bit my tongue after I said that.

Reactions: 1 users
Interviewer : Why did you choose Exercise Science as your major?

Me : .....'holy crap, really??' "I wanted to know the most effective way to lose weigh."

LOL

Reactions: 6 users
Interviewer: If you could be any tooth, which would you be?

Me: (...thinking to myself...drawing blanks on names of teeth..****, just name anything...) "incisors"

Interviewer: really? why incisors?

Me: (thinking, damn...idk..why did I say incisors) "They're the first line of defense"....(thinking to myself...wtf does that mean "first line of defense")

Interviewer: Good answer. Never heard that before

Me: (thinking to myself...what's so good about that answer? it's a dumb answer...) smile politely as we move to next question

Reactions: 9 users
Uh this isn't something stupid I said but it's something I did! So my interviewer was talking and he was literally saying his last 3 words to wrap up his sentence and I started talking because I was so excited to talk!!! I hope he forgot and I don't get a big fat red X on my file :(((((((

This happened when the assistant dean was greeting ALL of the interviewees:

Assistant Dean: So, where are you from?
Me: X country (really far away nation)
Assistant Dean: Wow! and where did you went to school?
Me: Y University (a school in the US)
Assistant Dean: (in awe) And how did you get from X to Y?
Me: (thinking it's a great moment to make a joke) AIRPLANE!!!!!!
EVERYBODY LAUGH except the Assistant Dean
Assistant Dean to the rest of interviewees: Remember this guy well, because his kind never survive in our school.

lol that guy sounded like a jerkoff.

"ass" dean indeed

Interviewer: what do you like to do during your free time?

Me: blah, blah, blah..landscape/mountain photography

Interviewer: :laugh: you can't do that here! (Meant there are no mountains in FL). I drive up to North GA mountains for waterfall photography.

Me: Oh it's fine, there must be something like mountains a couple hours away.... (thinking "what did I just say".. felt like my tie was strangling me)

interviewer: :silence+stern face+stare me down: alright, moving on..

Me: :awkward smile:
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

landscape/mountain photography

nice. i use almost exclusively a nifty fifty on a canon body for urban/portraits. need glass with longer focal length as i want to get more candid shots, but i'd prefer a rich old uncle to kick the bucket first.

what kind of rig do you run?

for the question what would you do if you couldn't be a dentist

I asked them a question is it that I was physically handicapped in some way that would make dentistry an impossible profession?

they looked confuse, they said "no, your alternate career, something other than dentistry"

I replied teaching, my mother is a math teacher to students in adult school as well as a tutor for students in second chance high schools

they asked me what grades, I replied middle and or high school because thats when students start to think about what they really want to do and its a really influential for the right person to come along and set them on the right path which is what my mom is trying to do now.

I really hope I clarified enough about that question cause I didn't say I would reapply -___-

I asked them a question is it that I was physically handicapped in some way that would make dentistry an impossible profession?

they looked confuse, they said "no, your alternate career, something other than dentistry"

I replied teaching, my mother is a math teacher to students in adult school as well as a tutor for students in second chance high schools

they asked me what grades, I replied middle and or high school because thats when students start to think about what they really want to do and its a really influential for the right person to come along and set them on the right path which is what my mom is trying to do now.

I really hope I clarified enough about that question cause I didn't say I would reapply -___-

There's not really much wrong with that answer...

Don't sweat it, your answer seems reasonable. No point in saying you'd reapply if they explicitly said you couldn't be a dentist.

I was posed something similar, but rather, "What would you do if you didn't get in?" I figured it was a softball and said I'd do research for a year, take another handful of classes, continue working, and reapply. What was particularly confusing, though, is that she asked me the exact same question again at the end as if she had no memory of my first answer. I gave her a blank stare and basically restated my first answer and provided more reasoning into my decisions... Not sure what she was looking for.

I kind of hate that question, to me its like foreshadowing, "better think about what your back up plan is! cause you're not getting in here."

thats what I feel its like.
Don't sweat it, your answer seems reasonable. No point in saying you'd reapply if they explicitly said you couldn't be a dentist.

I was posed something similar, but rather, "What would you do if you didn't get in?" I figured it was a softball and said I'd do research for a year, take another handful of classes, continue working, and reapply. What was particularly confusing, though, is that she asked me the exact same question again at the end as if she had no memory of my first answer. I gave her a blank stare and basically restated my first answer and provided more reasoning into my decisions... Not sure what she was looking for.

During one of my interviews, a faculty member and I were discussing how a surprising number of dentists are introverts. And then I say something along the lines of "Oh yeah, I'm an introvert too! It takes me a while to respond to people during a conversation because I'm always carefully processing what they're saying in my head first."

...I might as well just have said, "Oh yeah, I don't really know how to hold a conversation with people." I was totally internally facepalming after that one, but I felt a lot better because the faculty member I interviewed with next started off by raving about why their dental school is a good choice. And then he abruptly stopped himself and said, "...Can you tell I'm trying hard to recruit you right now?" That definitely got me to relax. :laugh:

From talking to my advisor for cases which interviewers ask the same question is to see if your answers are consistent. To see if your answers were genuine or not.

At UCSF-

Interviewer: So what do you like to do to relax and unwind yourself?

Me: I'm kind of a health/fitness/nutrition fanatic. I love working out. I put things up and put them down.

"****kkkk why did I just say that"

At UCSF-

Interviewer: So what do you like to do to relax and unwind yourself?

Me: I'm kind of a health/fitness/nutrition fanatic. I love working out. I put things up and put them down.

"****kkkk why did I just say that"

Hahahah that's precious! :D

Interviewer: so we have low income sometimes drug addicts that are our patients at the clinic, would you like to work with these people?

Me: yeah I love working with the crazies.

Well I know if that meant anything on dec 2

Reactions: 3 users
Interviewer: so we have low income sometimes drug addicts that are our patients at the clinic, would you like to work with these people?

Me: yeah I love working with the crazies.

Well I know if that meant anything on dec 2
Good heavens, Lol how would you have replied if you had another chance at that same question?

Interviewer: So you like sports ! What kinda sports do you watch on TV ?
Me: Umm, I am a big fan of NFL and NHL. I try to watch the majority of games when I am free...and oh ya I love watching UFC (... what the hell did i just say? WTF :/ )
Interviewer : Stares at me for 3 secs....says: So you like fights ??? people hitting each other ?
Me: ( Oh God...i knew he was going to ask that, what do i say, what do i say .....) i took a deep breathe and said: No, i just appreciate the art of MMA, Brazilian Jujitsu. ( please God , HELP ME )
Interviewer: Looks down.....and then looks up and smiles and says: I love UFC too. We then spent the next 10 min talking about top UFC fighters.

Got lucky.

Reactions: 3 users
Interviewer: So what do you like to do for fun?

ME : (Thinking to myself.... I got this..... ) ...... ....... Working out... Running... Movies... Oh and I just downloaded this new app on my phone..
ME (WTF did you just say you *****?!).... Ive never been into video games that much... But its just nice to play against my wife...
ME: (You sir, are a *****... I hope you know that)

Interviewer: I see...

And count down to Dec. 2nd to see if I am a ***** or not!
Really.... Video games... .The last video game I played was Crazy Taxi about a hundred years ago!

LOL this sounds like one of my interviews.

The one I hate though is where do you see yourself in 5 years and in 10 years.

LOL this sounds like one of my interviews.

The one I hate though is where do you see yourself in 5 years and in 10 years.

I've never liked that question. And 5 years specifically, depending on the school, you're hoping you'll be graduated in 5 years.

Interviewer: "Why don't you want to be a physician?"
Me: "I don't want the responsibilities of a physician. I don't want to make life or death decisions on a daily basis."
[I think the delivery of this message was poorly carried out. I was nervous so imagine my throat tightening and my voice being high like an immature, prepubescent boy which doesn't exactly fit well with my potentially equally immature message]

Is this a bad response?
I think I was too frank and succinct. This probably could've been more eloquently said. I should've instead beat around the bush.

What stupid things do you think you've said?
First question was why I wanted to be a dentist. I started answering using my prepared but honest answer. Just a few seconds into my answer the interviewer stated "everyone out in that room would say the same thing; tell me something else". I got the same response after two other attempts. It wasn't even a canned answer like wanting to help people, possessing good hand skills etc. After I got through the first part the interview went surprisingly well and the interviewer was actually a nice guy. Even though it was completely unexpected and unnerving it was done lightheartedly and made the interview more relaxing.

These stories are hilarious! I didn't have any stupid answers (just a bad interview), but at the end of one of my interviews, someone else asked the admissions officer, "I see that there is a required and recommended list of classes before entering dental school. Are the recommended classes required?"... Uhhh...o_O Really??

Interviewer: "What makes you tick?"
Me: *proceeds to respond with a politically correct list of things that tick me off*

UGH! I had never heard that idiom before! I didn't even realize that I had answered incorrectly until my Mom let me know I was totally off base. I wish my interviewer had corrected me and rephrased the question. Oh well. If I had been asked, "What motivates you?" I would have had no problem answering, LOL.

I had already talked about how I was super family-oriented quite a few times, though, so hopefully that stuck. It's definitely my main motivator.

Interviewer: "What makes you tick?"
Me: *proceeds to respond with a politically correct list of things that tick me off*

UGH! I had never heard that idiom before! I didn't even realize that I had answered incorrectly until my Mom let me know I was totally off base. I wish my interviewer had corrected me and rephrased the question. Oh well. If I had been asked, "What motivates you?" I would have had no problem answering, LOL.

I had already talked about how I was super family-oriented quite a few times, though, so hopefully that stuck. It's definitely my main motivator.

Maybe he thought you heard him say, "What makes you sick?" That's kind of an interesting question though...you can get a wide range of info.

Interviewer:"Do you have any questions for us?"
Me: "So you really like it here, huh?"

Reactions: 4 users
This all happened at one interview...
Interviewer: Why do you want to pursue dentistry?
Me: **begin telling them how much dentistry has done for me especially the result I received from my orthognathic surgery which was life-changing**
Interviewer: Tell me about your surgery
Me: It was to correct my underbite. Dr. X performed it. (I've been so accustomed to explaining who my oral surgeon is when people ask me about my surgery) He's the chief of oral and maxillofacial surgery at Y hospital ...used to teach at A dental school *starts rattling off his achievement*
Interviewer: *abruptly cuts me off and said in a very annoyed tone* I know who he is.

Well, it totally caught me off guard and I can totally feel myself turning red. Well there was another interviewer in the room and it didn't go well with him either
Interviewer: Are you fluent in _____language?
Me: I'm fluent but not fluent fluent (What does that even mean? I have no idea why I said that)
Interviewer: Well, we have a large population that speaks that here so you would really be able to help them
Me: oh really? yeah, thats good. (I was still caught up with what happened with the first interviewer so I didn't know how to respond.)
Interviewer: *Stares at me for 30 secs expecting me to say something else*

I think he wanted me to get really excited and tell him how happy I am to be able to work with them. It was such an awkward pause in the interview.

At another interview--
Interviewer: Why would people not like you?
Me: *caught off guard* (I was expecting him to ask me what my weaknesses are but not this) Well, uhm, I would say (What would i say?!) I have...(what do I have?) a tendency to be ...overly helpful (okay, doing good, but why is that a bad thing?!) but...people ...may not want me to help them ( did I just tell him that I'm nosy? SHOOT! I'm not really that nosy. I was just trying to remember what my weaknesses were and work off of that but all I could of was my strengths)

Hopefully a miracle happens on Dec. 2nd lol

Reactions: 5 users
In one of my panel style interviews...

Interviewer #1: "So I see here you like to tie flies, do you ever fly fish?"

Me: "I have gone a few times, but the last time I went I saw someone get a hook stuck in their arm so I haven't gone since. I'm just afraid of getting a hook stuck in my face, especially when it's really windy!"

Interviewer #2: "Umm, you do realize dentists have to use needles, right?" (Yes, she is serious.)

Interviewer #1: "Wait, you aren't afraid of needles are you? Have you ever had an injection?!"

Interviewers #3 and #4 are both staring at me looking a little shocked and waiting for my response

Me: "Yes, of course! I have no problem with needles, I volunteer as a chairside assistant at a dental clinic (something already discussed in the interview) and have had injections before for restorations. I just really don't like the idea of a hook stuck in my face."

Am I crazy? I was shocked they jumped all over me like that, I took a lot for me to not laugh at how ridiculous their reactions were. I guess we shall see December 2 how it all turned out!

Me: "I have gone a few times, but the last time I went I saw someone get a hook stuck in their arm so I haven't gone since. I'm just afraid of getting a hook stuck in my face, especially when it's really windy!"

Interviewer #2: "Umm, you do realize dentists have to use needles, right?" (Yes, she is serious.)

Interviewer #1: "Wait, you aren't afraid of needles are you? Have you ever had an injection?!"

Interviewers #3 and #4 are both staring at me looking a little shocked and waiting for my response

Me: "Yes, of course! I have no problem with needles, I volunteer as a chairside assistant at a dental clinic (something already discussed in the interview) and have had injections before for restorations. I just really don't like the idea of a hook stuck in my face."

Am I crazy? I was shocked they jumped all over me like that, I took a lot for me to not laugh at how ridiculous their reactions were. I guess we shall see December 2 how it all turned out!
You did better than I would have. I would have definitely laughed.

I'm surprised they tried to equate a hook with a needle. I'd take a needle in the mouth by a professional any day over a random, swinging hook.

Thanks for the replies, glad to know I'm not alone in my thinking! In the same interview they also called me old (I'm 26)...

Interviewer #4: We don't want to call you old, but let's just say mature. You are much more mature than most of our other applicants, how do you think you will get along with your classmates who are so much younger than you?

Me: Well, I really don't foresee a problem with getting along with or relating to my younger classmates. I was 22 only 4 years ago (is this a real question?!). In my current post-bacc I've been in classes with 18 years old and have had no problem. However, I would hope that the students you admit to your program are more mature than those 18 years olds I've been taking classes with considering we are training to become professionals...

I got some laughs out of them with my last comment, but I was a little annoyed at this point!
I'm surprised they tried to equate a hook with a needle. I'd take a needle in the mouth by a professional any day over a random, swinging hook.

Okay, so this was the very first question of one of my interviews...

Interviewer: *in a total monotone, very little eye contact* "So... would you say you're good at everything you do?"
Me: 0_0
Me: "Uh, certainly not, although I can honestly say I try my hardest at everything I do yadayadayada..."